PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Pike (Cinci)?

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I havent been able to see any of the game.. I know they're down 24-10 at the half or something like that.

How's Tony Pike looking?

DrGraves
12-05-2009, 12:57 PM
8/23 2 picks. he sucks....

i don't want that big east trash on our team

SpillerThrills
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
and now he's being pulled.

Billz_fan
12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
31-17 Pitt in the 3rd and Cincy got 7pts on a 99 yrd kick return. Not much offense from Pike and co. so far.

Jersey1031
12-05-2009, 01:20 PM

...big east trash??

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
he was terrible from what i saw. And i mean absolutely terrible.

SpillerThrills
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
well they told the backup to warm up.. .but now Pike is back out there on the next series.

tampabay25690
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I havent been able to see any of the game.. I know they're down 24-10 at the half or something like that.

How's Tony Pike looking?

Looks the way I knew he would....

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:25 PM
he just threw a 60+ yard TD pass... that was a dead duck, badly thrown, and should have been picked off. (just terrible coverage by pitt)

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
he just threw a 60+ yard TD pass... that was a dead duck, badly thrown, and should have been picked off. (just terrible coverage by pitt)
I thought it was a good throw in between the seam, though I could see your point too (first pass I"ve seen him throw today)

I dont know a lot about Pike at all.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought it was a good throw in between the seam, though I could see your point too (first pass I"ve seen him throw today)

I dont know a lot about Pike at all.

he had the WR open... but under threw him and threw about 5 yards behind where he should have lead him.. causing the wr to basically stop his rout (the ball fluttered badly as well, which probably contributed to it being short of the target)

luckily for him the WR was REALLY open and was able to adjust to the dead duck. The dead duck also ended up befitting the WR... because the coverage wasn't able to adjust to the WRs abrupt stop and direction change thanks to the badly thrown ball.

-he's looked terrible and off target all day BTW... bad enough they were warming his backup up on the sideline.

X-Era
12-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Hes got ability, but today wasnt agood day.

I think his stock has really been dropping since it went way up early in the year.

Pat, heres my take:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174146

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:44 PM
he just threw his 3rd int.

he's now...

11/29 for 174yards, 1 TD and 3 INTs.

I was never interested in him as a prospect. i sorta hope all the talk of him going in round one vanishes after this game.

Pinkerton Security
12-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Dion Lewis is a stud though, hes originally from Albany baby!! He's gonna be a top pick one day, only a frosh now

Pinkerton Security
12-05-2009, 01:46 PM
8/23 2 picks. he sucks....

yeah bc Penn State players are just STUDS in the nfl...big ten sucks!!

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
3 more bad passes by pike... one he threw 3 yards wide (hook rout... he threw it as if he expected the WR to hook in the other direction)... and another he badly under-threw an open WR deep.

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
yeah..
This dude sucks.. No thanks

Bmax
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah if i was kelly i would have pulled him at the half...

This game should kill the Pike talk for Good...

Bmax...

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Dion Lewis is a stud though, hes originally from Albany baby!! He's gonna be a top pick one day, only a frosh now

I do like Lewis. I wish he was a little bigger and a little quicker but he looks like the real deal.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Touchdown Pike!

Is he back in the convo now? I dont think we can judge a QB on one game.

They just said he is the best redzone QB in the country. We could use that in B-Lo.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Touchdown Pike!

Is he back in the convo now? I dont think we can judge a QB on one game.

They just said he is the best redzone QB in the country. We could use that in B-Lo.

lol. you're joking right?

have you been watching him play in the snow at all? 2 plays before the TD he badly under-threw a corner rout which should have been INT'ed in the endzone had the cornerback not greased his hands with butter.

worse... when he audibled to that TD pass... i was screaming at the TV what the call was. Totally telegraphed the play. His advantage was the defense seemed clueless and unprepared.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
lol. you're joking right?

have you been watching him play in the snow at all? 2 plays before the TD he badly under-threw a corner rout which should have been INT'ed in the endzone had the cornerback not greased his hands with butter.

worse... when he audibled to that TD pass... i was screaming at the TV what the call was. Totally telegraphed the play. His advantage was the defense seemed clueless and unprepared.
Are you watching him play now?

He is cutting up Pitt. He can make all the throws. And doing it in bad weather.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Nice throw to the back of the endzone for a 2 pointer.

DrGraves
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
yeah bc Penn State players are just STUDS in the nfl...big ten sucks!!

I never said that. Poz and Whitner suck.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I was watching last night on NFLN a classic patriots-dolphins game from Bledsoe's 2nd season.

It was a great example (if you need one) what a blue chip prospect's arm is supposed to look like. Bledsoe could throw a harder and more accurate pass off his back foot then every QB in this draft could do with a perfect pocket and time to step into the pass.

Sometimes when you see mediocrity for so long you start to forget what a live arm is supposed to look like. of course few QBs in NFL history had an arm like Bledsoe. Of course it's a shame when he came to buffalo he lost his feel for the pocket (he had much better pocket awareness in his youth).

Don't get me wrong. a golden arm isn't the end-all be-all of QBing talents. plenty of top busts in the NFL draft have had great arms (maybe not world class like Bledsoe's... but amazing none the less). But if you're going to throw the ball at the Ralph, you need to have at least a strong arm.

Tony Pike has a 3rd rate arm. About as strong and accurate as Trent Edwards. really, his career probably will look just like Edwards too.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Are you watching him play now?

He is cutting up Pitt. He can make all the throws. And doing it in bad weather.

good lord... yeah... 18/40 241, 2TDs and 3INTs is "cutting up Pitt"

ParanoidAndroid
12-05-2009, 02:22 PM
He has Pennington-like arm strength.

Slim
12-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I was watching last night on NFLN a classic patriots-dolphins game from Bledsoe's 2nd season.

It was a great example (if you need one) what a blue chip prospect's arm is supposed to look like. Bledsoe could throw a harder and more accurate pass off his back foot then every QB in this draft could do with a perfect pocket and time to step into the pass.

Sometimes when you see mediocrity for so long you start to forget what a live arm is supposed to look like. of course few QBs in NFL history had an arm like Bledsoe. Of course it's a shame when he came to buffalo he lost his feel for the pocket (he had much better pocket awareness in his youth).

Don't get me wrong. a golden arm isn't the end-all be-all of QBing talents. plenty of top busts in the NFL draft have had great arms (maybe not world class like Bledsoe's... but amazing none the less). But if you're going to throw the ball at the Ralph, you need to have at least a strong arm.

Tony Pike has a 3rd rate arm. About as strong and accurate as Trent Edwards. really, his career probably will look just like Edwards too.

Have you watched Ryan Mallett play this year? I've heard him be compared to Bledsoe. He's not the prospect Bledsoe was, but he has the arm and all the measurables.

I haven't seem him play much this year, but whats your take on him?

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
good lord... yeah... 18/40 241, 2TDs and 3INTs is "cutting up Pitt"
I said NOW he is. Obviously he had a rough start.

And no, Tony Pike's arm is not the same as Trent's. The deep out he threw down the sideline to set up that last TD proves that.

Im not saying this guy is a top 15 pick, but he could end up somewhere between 19 and 35. Like Freeman was projected before the draft.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
The guy is 65.5% comp., 23 TD and 3 INT for the season. That is pretty good. Also 8.23 ypa.

I like his size too, 6'6 225.

Ingtar33
Have you watched Ryan Mallett play this year? I've heard him be compared to Bledsoe. He's not the prospect Bledsoe was, but he has the arm and all the measurables.

I haven't seem him play much this year, but whats your take on him?

I only saw him play once... and he didn't really stand out to me. he doesn't have the quick release... and he's not as accurate as you'd like from a blue chipper.

BuffaloBlitz83
Pitt missed extra point! Pike has 90 seconds, Can he do it! A TD wins it.

Slim
12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I only saw him play once... and he didn't really stand out to me. he doesn't have the quick release... and he's not as accurate as you'd like from a blue chipper.

Agreed with the accuracy. What about Locker?

BuffaloBlitz83
Nice mobility on that pass. 39 secs and driving in pitt territory!

patmoran2006
Wow what a game.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Agreed with the accuracy. What about Locker?

Locker has a stronger arm and is more mobile but lacks accuracy.

patmoran2006
holy ****!

BuffaloBlitz83
TD BEAUTIFUL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. BOMB!!!

Mahdi
I think Pike just said... EAT IT.

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll tell you what.

As I said, I dont know **** about Pike. But I'll tell you what.. That game reminded me of a Jim Kelly game.. he played like complete dogcrap, but turned it on when he absolutely had too.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Tony Pike def redeemed himself people! He showed his arm strength on that perfect pass

Slim
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Amazing game.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
this is a fun game. wow.

I'm glad i'm watching it. Pike isn't doing anything to improve my opinion of him, but you can't fault his guts.

that TD pass was probably the best pass he's thrown all day.

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Andddddddddddddddd Brian Kelly's Notre Dame price tag just went through the roof

BuffaloBlitz83
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll tell you what.

As I said, I dont know **** about Pike. But I'll tell you what.. That game reminded me of a Jim Kelly game.. he played like complete dogcrap, but turned it on when he absolutely had too.

He showed me toughness. Trent Edwards plays scared when he struggles early, like in Browns game. He dumps off out of lack of confidence.

Pike hung in there and finished brilliantly!

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
this is a fun game. wow.

I'm glad i'm watching it. Pike isn't doing anything to improve my opinion of him, but you can't fault his guts.

that TD pass was probably the best pass he's thrown all day.
He's not doing anything to improve your opinion?

What does he need to do exactly? Sack Stoll?

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Playing well in bad weather. Check

Accuracy. Check

Size. Check. Check

Guts. Check.

Calm under pressure. Check.

Arm Strength. Check.

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Has Pike's arm strength been an issue? I'm asking cause based on what I saw of him today, I didnt see that at all.

BuffaloBlitz83
I like to see guts and calmness under pressure. Most QB's crack under adversity.

Slim
Lol play action on 4th and 10....

BuffaloBlitz83
12-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Has Pike's arm strength been an issue? I'm asking cause based on what I saw of him today, I didnt see that at all.

Pike has an NFL ready arm. His arm is far stronger than Captain checkdown Mr. Colt Mccoy

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Playing well in bad weather. Check

Accuracy. Check

Size. Check. Check

Guts. Check.

Calm under pressure. Check.

Arm Strength. Check.

His play at the half would have looked like this:

Accuracy. ?

Size. Check. Check

Guts. ?

Calm under pressure. ?

Arm Strength. Check

Add it all up and you have a guy who's play is streaky which equals consistency questions.

I like him, I think he could be good, but teams will question his consistency.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM

ugh... listen.

Do you know why Danny Wuerffel (probably one of the greatest college QBs ever) was a disaster of a pro?

Its because he had a crap arm, and was surrounded by amazing WRs who were usually open by 5 yards or more every time he threw it. He looked really good because he was probably the perfect player to play in the Spurrier system.

Great college game day stats does not equal a great NFL qb.

You have to learn how to watch for "accuracy" "eyes" and "pocket awareness"... after that, you go to "arm strength" "release" and "footwork". Those tell the truth behind a QB in college.

Tony Pike has a 3rd rate arm and a 2nd rate head. throw in a great offensive "system" and one of the best WR corps in the nation, and you have a perfect storm for a 3rd-5th round talent like pike to look like a Heisman trophy winning 1st round prospect.

I will be stunned if he goes before round 3.

And his arm isn't much better then Trent Edward's arm... it's good enough to play pro ball... but it's nothing to write home about.

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Pike has an NFL ready arm. His arm is far stronger than Captain checkdown Mr. Colt Mccoy

At some points in this game (4th qtr) I would agree.

BTW, Im not down on McCoy the way many are.

TedMock
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM

I like the kid, but he's played like crap most of the game. a couple of good throws versus a lot of really bad throws doesn't impress me either. I'm with Ingtar on this one. I do like his guts (I almost typed "balls" there, but that would've sounded real bad), but he can't consistently underthrow his guys like he has today.

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
ugh... listen.

Do you know why Danny Wuerffel (probably one of the greatest college QBs ever) was a disaster of a pro?

Its because he had a crap arm, and was surrounded by amazing WRs who were usually open by 5 yards or more every time he threw it. He looked really good because he was probably the perfect player to play in the Spurrier system.

You have to learn how to watch for "accuracy" "eyes" and "pocket awareness"... after that, you go to "arm strength" "release" and "footwork". Those tell the truth behind a QB in college.

Tony Pike has a 3rd rate arm and a 2nd rate head. throw in a great offensive "system" and one of the best WR corps in the nation, and you have a perfect storm for a 3rd-5th round talent like pike to look like a Heisman trophy winning 1st round prospect.

Im with Ing... I think hes a solid mid round prospect. Had he played like he did in this 4th qtr much more often during the year (when he wasnt injured) I would say hes a 2nd or 3rd rounder. His decision making can be questionable, his accuracy can be questionable, and certainly his consistency is now questionable.

Mahdi
ugh... listen.

And his arm isn't much better then Trent Edward's arm... it's good enough to play pro ball... but it's nothing to write home about.
Right. And he showed good pocket awareness, kept his eyes downfield on the run, and made solid throws.

He is not a top 3 QB for sure but he can make a case for himself like Flacco and Freeman did.

BuffaloBlitz83
At some points in this game (4th qtr) I would agree.

BTW, Im not down on McCoy the way many are.

All he does is dump off. He'll have to make the long pass in the nfl. He'll never survive in Buffalo with that arm

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
All he does is dump off. He'll have to make the long pass in the nfl. He'll never survive in Buffalo with that arm

So Ill play along, assuming he only dumps off for a minute, that means his arm is weak?

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Right. And he showed good pocket awareness, kept his eyes downfield on the run, and made solid throws.

He is not a top 3 QB for sure but he can make a case for himself like Flacco and Freeman did.

He can make a case based on this to be drafted in the mid-rounds... but I dont think he can make a case, at this point, to be a 1st rounder.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
He can make a case based on this to be drafted in the mid-rounds... but I dont think he can make a case, at this point, to be a 1st rounder.
I think his play in the bowl game will determine where he goes. Plus how he performs at the combine.

X-Era
12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I think his play in the bowl game will determine where he goes. Plus how he performs at the combine.

Totally agree.

patmoran2006
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Well. I see Buffalo picking between 8th and say 13th.

I think 1-2 QBs will be off the board before Buffalo picks.. Oakland, Washington, Rams (for sure, Rams)

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Totally agree.
What also will determine his draft position is how many teams will be going after a QB.

If there are 5-6 teams that desperately want a QB he can go early second to mid first.

Assuming he has a good bowl game and combine that is.

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Flacco and Freeman both have pretty good arms... far better then Pike. They got into round one with amazing athleticism augmenting their status and counterbalancing the questionable quality of their opposition.

Listen... when i used to watch film on these prospects on a daily basis one of the games i used to play is a "what if". The "what if" game was simple. What if the pass rush was faster? What if the WR was "pro open"? Does the QB throw to guys who are "covered" as well as a pro CB would cover the wr? What if the CB had better body position (like he would in the pros).

so when a College QB throws a 10 yard out that flutters like a dead duck in the wind... and the WR has to wait on (like i saw happen several times today with pike) you write "Pick 6" in your notebook... because that's what would normally happen in the pros.

In college it goes on the stat sheet as "completion - 10 yards"... a pro scout meanwhile says "lacks arms strength, probably a pick 6 in the pros". Had Pitt been fielding a top 10 defense Pike would have thrown 6 or more INTs today. He was down right terrible.

It wasn't just this game. every time i watched him this year he was throwing passes, that in the pros would be picked... and getting away with it.

One of his TDs today was one such pass.... that pass gets picked off 8 out of 10 times in the NFL, today it went for 60 yards and a TD. Hell that pass gets picked 5 times in 10 even if he's playing a team like UB. It was divine providence for that pass to not go the other way.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Well. I see Buffalo picking between 8th and say 13th.

I think 1-2 QBs will be off the board before Buffalo picks.. Oakland, Washington, Rams (for sure, Rams)
Oakland is not taking a QB. Russell got 40 mil guaranteed. They will build around him and give him another shot.

Seattle, St. Louis, maybe Denver, Cleveland, Washington are the teams that will be looking for a QB.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Remember Philip Rivers jump from a 3rd-4th Rd Grade to 4th OVERALL! He had many doubters on his release. He jumped through roof cause of combines. SD sure was right as Rivers is a Great player.

Mahdi
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Flacco and Freeman both have pretty good arms... far better then Pike. They got into round one with amazing athleticism augmenting their status and counterbalancing the questionable quality of their opposition.

Listen... when i used to watch film on these prospects on a daily basis one of the games i used to play is a "what if". The "what if" game was simple. What if the pass rush was faster? What if the WR was "pro open"? Does the QB throw to guys who are "covered" as well as a pro CB would cover the wr? What if the CB had better body position (like he would in the pros).

so when a College QB throws a 10 yard out that flutters like a dead duck in the wind... and the WR has to wait on (like i saw happen several times today with pike) you write "Pick 6" in your notebook... because that's what would normally happen in the pros.

In college it goes on the stat sheet as "completion - 10 yards"... a pro scout meanwhile says "lacks arms strength, probably a pick 6 in the pros". Had Pitt been fielding a top 10 defense Pike would have thrown 6 or more INTs today. He was down right terrible.

It wasn't just this game. every time i watched him this year he was throwing passes, that in the pros would be picked... and getting away with it.

One of his TDs today was one such pass.... that pass gets picked off 8 out of 10 times in the NFL, today it went for 60 yards and a TD. Hell that pass gets picked 5 times in 10 even if he's playing a team like UB. It was divine providence for that pass to not go the other way.
Well let's see what he does against elite competition in a bowl game. That will answer some what ifs. Or at least shed some light on them.

CoolBreeze
12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Whether or not Tony Pike played well today, whether or not he has a 3rd rate arm and 2nd rate head, he is still better than the 3 qb's on the Bills current roster!!!

Ingtar33
12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Whether or not Tony Pike played well today, whether or not he has a 3rd rate arm and 2nd rate head, he is still better than the 3 qb's on the Bills current roster!!!

I don't know. Brohm was a far superior QB in college to Pike... and if i was suddenly hit with a case of amnesia and forget everything that happened after Brohm's last game of college football i'd say he probably went in the top 10 of his draft... right after Matt Ryan.

I still can't believe how his career came apart.

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
He is a 3rd round pick, imo.

Dude
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
:rofl: judging Pike based upon one game?

Get real.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree