X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • generalmills
    • Sep 2003

End of Revenue Sharing?

"The National Football League has informed the players' union that they will end the revenue-sharing program starting this coming March, reports ESPN.

The $100-million program is used to subsidized teams with lower revenues.

According to ESPN, the players' union is expected to challenge on the grounds no move can be made without their approval, as their current agreement does not expire until 2011. The NFL is expected to counter by arguing only seasons with a salary-cap and 2010 will not have a cap.

"Revenue sharing helps maintain the 'any-given Sunday' dynamic in the NFL," NFLPA spokesman George Atallah told ESPN.

"The amount of money some owners propose to pull out of the system in 2011 could mean the difference between playoffs and blackouts for many teams."
  • generalmills
    • Sep 2003

Re: End of Revenue Sharing?

The NFL has notified the players' union that, effective next March, owners will pull the plug on the $100-million-per-year revenue-sharing program that has subsidized lower-revenue clubs.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

and this is the first step toward an end of the NFL as the national sport.

Adios to competitive football in Buffalo, Green Bay, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Arizona, Cleveland... Welcome to permanent Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals status.
      Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-06-2009, 12:56 PM.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

1-They are talking a very small portion of the total program, 100mil out of 6.5bil.

2-Hopefully it's just a negotiating ploy to get a cap in place.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Not sure it matter that much for the Bills specifically... or should I say that the impact of an uncapped year is a much bigger issue.

These numbers are old, but the trends shown at the bottom, and the dollar figure associated with revenue sharing ought to make the point.

Yearly rankings of the best employers in the United States, Canada as well as for women, diversity, recent grads and beyond.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            and this is the first step toward an end of the NFL as the national sport.

Adios to competitive football in Buffalo, Green Bay, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Arizona, Cleveland... Welcome to permanent Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals status.
            Check my response, Im not so sure.

We went to 4 straight SB's without a salary cap.
            Last edited by X-Era; 12-06-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
              Check my response, Im not so sure.

We went to 4 straight SB's without a salary cap.

that was before true free-agency

when true free-agency was added the nfl added the cap the same year.

And it's not a "true" uncapped year... there are some strange rules to it that make it more like a "semi capped" year. Furthermore, the "quasi" cap is more in effect for good teams... so teams like Dallas who look like playoff teams this year.. will be more restricted by the "uncapped" year then the Bills will be.
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

that was before true free-agency

when true free-agency was added the nfl added the cap the same year.
                OK, and?

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                  OK, and?

free-agency + no rev sharing + no cap = uncompetitive football.

The bills would never have been able to build those superbowl teams if there was true FA and no salary cap back in those days.
                  Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

free-agency + no rev sharing + no cap = uncompetitive football.

The bills would never have been able to build those superbowl teams if there was true FA and no salary cap back in those days.
                    Who knows.

We wont ever go back to those days. Nor will the NFLPA or even the NFL allow no salary cap as a long term solution. Revenue sharing may or may not be a part of the equation, but with how small an amount it is, it isnt that critical. I think free agency may be modified to actually restrict the ability of players to hit the open market... something more like the rule for the uncapped year.

It will be interesting to see how much players actually cash in in the uncapped year... Im thinking it may be less than anyone would have thought it would be.

Id agree that it may be uncompetitive, but teams that draft well had all the leverage before the cap too.
                    Last edited by X-Era; 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Looks like many of us were right....The Jerry Jones', Bob Krafts and Danny Snyders will kill the NFL, especially the die hard small market teams.
                      Last edited by Michael82; 12-06-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        Looks like many of us were right....The Jerry Jones', Bob Krafts and Danny Snyders will kill the NFL, especially the die hard small market teams.
                        Fine, split the leagues up again.

All big market teams can be in one, and the small market teams can be in the other.

I know which one Im watching.

It wont ever happen. The league knows it needs small market teams... it wont stay long without revenue sharing of some kind.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                          • Sep 2003

The teams that will benefit from this do not have the best interest of the league in mind - just the best interest of their team.
                          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Maybe without revenue sharing it will cause smaller market owners to do everything possible to increase their profit margins instead of just relying on, basically, public welfare.

The Bills owner comes to mind on this. Lowest ticket prices in the league and having an ego so large he won't sell stadium naming rights.

Maybe he'll be forced to raise ticket prices across the board; he should and maybe he'll sell the naming rights; also should.

Those are just two examples based on the situation here.

The NFL will still remain competitive because the salary cap isn't going away. Every team has the same amount they can spend based on the TV contracts, which will continue to rise.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                              The teams that will benefit from this do not have the best interest of the league in mind - just the best interest of their team.
                              It really doesnt matter.

It wont stand for long and wont have a huge impact on 2010 for us anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X