PDA

View Full Version : So, were no there yet but how about a few offseason thoughts

X-Era
12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Lets forget the new HC for a second.

Free agency would then come next.

I hope we go to the 3-4 defense. I think we all see that Stroud can start at 3-4 DT, but we then need depth. We also need 3-4 LB'ers. We all know we need OT help. And many of us think we should add a vet QB.

A few names I like.

1a) Shawn Merriman. could start day one at OLB. SD cant franchise both him and McNeil and hes been on his way out anyways. Hes young, hes a friend with Maybin. And he and Maybin could be our outside guys.

1b) D'Qwell Jackson- athletic play maker who should come back from his shoulder injury and would at the very least upgrade our depth, but likely could start. Only 26,and isnt dominant enough to demand elite money.

1c) Derrick Johnson- always been a fan. Fallen out of favor in KC, a 3-4 ILB with talent. Again wont cost huge money, instantly adds quality depth, and may push for a starting job.

2a) Jeremy Trueblood- always liked the way he plays. At 26, he could battle for the starting spot at RT or at least add quality depth. He wont break the bank.

2b) Alex Barron- a starting LT with talent whos only 27. He will get decent money but not elite money. Hes worth the investment and could be our new starting LT day one.

3a) Barry Coefield- plays DT in a 3-4, and is a solid guy who will make the team deeper and battle with Johnson and Williams for a job. Very solid against the run. Hes 25. Another guy who wont break the bank.

3b) Casey Hampton- They wont let him go, but hed be a great add and malkes us strong and deep at DT

4) Mike Vick- it may take a trade if he isnt cut, but we could get him fairly inexpensively either way and he can play at the NFL level. Hes still a threat and buys us time to develop our youngster of the future.

Trades:

Maybe we could pry loose a 3-4 DE from the Giants for Terrence McGee and a pick. Wont be Tuck or Osi, but maybe Kiwi. Our depth at CB is very good and we could go with Florence on one side and McKelvin on the other. Corner, Lankster, and Youbouty could be primary backups.

Move Parrish... we can draft a new returner, hes eating up cap space as well as a roster spot at WR when its already loaded.

I know we have the draft, but free agency comes first and if we are active and get significant upgrades, we may be more flexible on draft day. If we get a LT, DT, and vet QB through free agency, we can be very flexible on draft day.

Yasgur's Farm
12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I'll take...

2b - RT Trueblood
2d - LT Barron
4 - QB Vick

OL (10) - Barron, Levetre, Hangartner, Wood, Trueblood, Butler, Bell, Meredith, Scott, Simmons
QB (3) - Vick, Brohm, Day 2 Rookie (LeFevour, Tebow).
RB (3) - Jackson, Lynch, Day 2 Rookie
TE (3) - Nelson, Fine, Day 2 Rookie
WR (6) - Evans, ?Owens?, Hardy, Johnson, Day 2 Rookie, Day 2 rookie

I disagree on Stroud at NT... I see him and Johnson moving to DE while Williams shares time with draft pick at NT (Dan Willaims or Terrence Cody).

I'm also looking to upgarde or LB situation by drafting (Rolondo McClain or Brandon Spikes)

DL (7) - Stroud - Williams - Johnson - Kelsay - Ellis - Mace - Day 1 Rookie (Dan Williams or Terrenc Cody)
LB (9) - Posluszny - Mitchell - Harris - Maybin - Schobel - Palmer - DiGiorgio - Buggs - Day 1 Rookie (Rolondo McClain or Brandon Spikes).
DB (9) - McGee - McKelvin - Florence - Corner - Lankster - Whitner - Byrd - Scott (not sure of his contract status) - Wilson (2010 free agent) <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

X-Era
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I'll take...

2b - RT Trueblood
2d - LT Barron
4 - QB Vick

I disagree on Stroud at NT... I see him and Johnson moveing to DE while Williams shares time with draft pick at NT (Dan Willaims or Terrence Cody).

I'm also looking to upgarde or LB situation by drafting (Rolondo McClain or Brandon Spikes)

DL (7) - Stroud - Williams - Johnson - Kelsay - Ellis - Mace - Day 1 Rookie (Dan Williams or Terrenc Cody)
LB (9) - Posluszny - Mitchell - Harris - Maybin - Schobel - Palmer - DiGiorgio - Buggs - Day 1 Rookie (Rolondo McClain or Brandon Spikes).
DB (9) - McGee - McKelvin - Florence - Corner - Lankster - Whitner - Byrd - Scott (not sure of his contract status) - Wilson (2010 free agent) <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Theres plenty of players who could help in the draft I agree. I just figured Id start with FA.

realdealryan
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Disagree with the Vick thing. I've got 4 rescued Pit Bulls, bla bla bla....

But as far as today's performances............

Gradkowski threw 3 TDs today with MUCH LESS against a defense that is MUCH BETTER.

And he's from Pittsburgh.

BRUCE!

Prov401
12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Lets forget the new HC for a second.

Free agency would then come next.

I hope we go to the 3-4 defense. I think we all see that Stroud can start at 3-4 DT, but we then need depth. We also need 3-4 LB'ers. We all know we need OT help. And many of us think we should add a vet QB.

A few names I like.

1a) Shawn Merriman. could start day one at OLB. SD cant franchise both him and McNeil and hes been on his way out anyways. Hes young, hes a friend with Maybin. And he and Maybin could be our outside guys.

1b) D'Qwell Jackson- athletic play maker who should come back from his shoulder injury and would at the very least upgrade our depth, but likely could start. Only 26,and isnt dominant enough to demand elite money.

1c) Derrick Johnson- always been a fan. Fallen out of favor in KC, a 3-4 ILB with talent. Again wont cost huge money, instantly adds quality depth, and may push for a starting job.

2a) Jeremy Trueblood- always liked the way he plays. At 26, he could battle for the starting spot at RT or at least add quality depth. He wont break the bank.

2b) Alex Barron- a starting LT with talent whos only 27. He will get decent money but not elite money. Hes worth the investment and could be our new starting LT day one.

3a) Barry Coefield- plays DT in a 3-4, and is a solid guy who will make the team deeper and battle with Johnson and Williams for a job. Very solid against the run. Hes 25. Another guy who wont break the bank.

3b) Casey Hampton- They wont let him go, but hed be a great add and malkes us strong and deep at DT

4) Mike Vick- it may take a trade if he isnt cut, but we could get him fairly inexpensively either way and he can play at the NFL level. Hes still a threat and buys us time to develop our youngster of the future.

Trades:

Maybe we could pry loose a 3-4 DE from the Giants for Terrence McGee and a pick. Wont be Tuck or Osi, but maybe Kiwi. Our depth at CB is very good and we could go with Florence on one side and McKelvin on the other. Corner, Lankster, and Youbouty could be primary backups.

Move Parrish... we can draft a new returner, hes eating up cap space as well as a roster spot at WR when its already loaded.

I know we have the draft, but free agency comes first and if we are active and get significant upgrades, we may be more flexible on draft day. If we get a LT, DT, and vet QB through free agency, we can be very flexible on draft day.

Some good names there. I'll add Demeco Ryans and Richard Seymour. They're both on my personal wish list.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Of the names you listed, I think only Derrick Johnson - who apparently is in the dog house for some reason, Shawn Merriman - who is nowhere near the player he once was after the substance abuse issues surfaced and Mike Vick will be available.

Teams generally don't let young tackles go unless there is a contract dispute.

D'Qwell Jackson lead the NFL in tackles last season.

3-4 NTs do us no good if we stay with a 4-3 look.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Not bad, Barron may be better suited at RT, but he would definitely be an upgrade over Bell at LT, no question about that.

1.) Mallett, QB, Arkansas
2.) Tate, WR, Notre Dame
3.) Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

FA:

Barron, LT, STL
Johnson, LB, KC
Ellison, LB, BUF

Oaf
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Lookin' good. :up:

The Juice Is Loose
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Will you dip's stop talking about Mike Vick?

He's not only a POS but he's a LOUSY QUARTERBACK! We're literally better off with Fitzpatrick.

justasportsfan
12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't just give up on our players who were made to play not to lose. Who knows what they can do with a coach that plays to attack instead of going in with a gameplan with "prevent" written all over it. Even our offensive gameplan was prevent.

DesertFox24
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Stroud can not play 3-4 NT he could maybe be a 3-4 End much like John Henderson. He would be no Seymore and it would not be great but it would be a decent stop gap solution till we get better.

Do not be surprised if we stay in a 4-3 and start drafting bigger DTs, I think the size of our ends is fine but we need bigger DTs and bigger LBs.

Secondary does not really matter they are the same.

However, if we do move to a 3-4 I think we could do it.

Kelsay would be RE, rookie would NT, Stroud (Spencer Johnson, Williams, McCargo LE). Have to draft one DT who could play end and another to play NT.

LBs Schobel, Mitchell, Poz, Maybin (Harris & Palmer Middle backups, Ellis and rook would be outside backups). Ellis can play outside and might actually beat Schobel, but I give Schobel edge to start next year.

Secondary would be the same.

The key would be getting a NT, Ryan Picket will be a FA and is not going back to the pack. Also need to draft one and also draft a few DTs that could be 3-4 ends in the draft.

Also need to draft one OLB rook and probably another Mike LB rook. Harris is big enough and Palmer is as well but need someone else.

casdhf
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Barron is the worst player in the NFL. WTF does everyone see in this guy?

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't touch Barron - the Rams know that when they tried to move him to the blindside. If you think Bell is bad, wait until we saw Barron there - come back Mike Gandy, all is forgiven ......

Merriman would be a useful pick but I think DeMeco Ryans should be the No1 defensive target.

I think a big push for Orton if he is not franchised would have considerable merit.

Gabe Watson would make a massive NT to have and has some experience in the 3-4

Dwan Edwards from the Ravens could be added as a DE

Stealing Miles Austin WR from the Cowboys might be an idea and I wonder if Darryl Tapp can be moved to OLB in a 3-4 - Chris Gocong could also move to the 3-4 OLB role