PDA

View Full Version : NBC: No QB in this year's draft that are starters.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Bills have great timing!!

Forward_Lateral
12-06-2009, 06:49 PM
NBC doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to football. The QB class is thin, but to say none of them are starter material is both stupidity and ignorance. I'd like to know next week's lotto numbers, maybe Costas can tell me those too?

FlyingDutchman
12-06-2009, 06:50 PM
is the billszone going to be your dog to kick everytime you think something sucks?

FlyingDutchman
12-06-2009, 06:50 PM
also, many of us having been saying this for months

X-Era
12-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Bills have great timing!!

I dont think that necessarily true.

Its too early to make that claim.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
also, many of us having been saying this for months

So you agree with NBC. I actually agree as well. See, we have something in common.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I dont think that necessarily true.

Its too early to make that claim.

We need a QB. This isn't the 2004 class that had Schaub, Rivers, Rothlinsberger, Manning, etc.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
We need a QB. This isn't the 2004 class that had Schaub, Rivers, Rothlinsberger, Manning, etc.

I kind of agree.

Were not in full draft hype mode either yet.

I think there's a good chance 4 QB's will go in the 1st round... maybe 5.

If you hate the concept of any of these guys going early 1, root for a trade down to mid round 1 where we still could get one of the top 5. With the depth being so good at OT, that might be a good move.

Prov401
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I'll wait until the combine to make any judgement on this years' QB class.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Schaub wasn't touted in 04.

Pretty much every years draft has one guy who is franchise caliber.

The problem is, this year like every other, you don't know who that one guy is.

Even when the experts say it's clear cut who the number 1 QB is, the guy most likely to succeed it doesn't make it so. Experts said Ryan Leaf would be the better pro between him and Peyton.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll wait until the combine to make any judgement on this years' QB class.

:clap:

There will still be much movement up and down for these prospects.

Just need to wait... Im as impatient as anyone.

Im just focused mostly on who the HC/GM is going forward... thats the fish next to my pan.

Ingtar33
12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
except the 2001 draft with Carr and Harrington. The last time we drafted high as well.

that was a worse class for QB. I would say that there are at least 2 QBs in this draft better then those two... but not by much. I would like to see the combine and post season workouts before settling on that decision.

DraftBoy
12-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't say I disagree at this point.

Night Train
12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
So take lineman, like smart teams do.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2009, 07:20 PM
You don't know *Dick, HHURRICANE.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Clausen compares to Stafford.

Mallett compares to Flacco.

There are many other project QBs worth taking a gamble on, Locker, Bradford, McCoy and possibly Tebow in the 2nd would be nice investments and worth rolling the dice on.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Clausen compares to Stafford.

Mallett compares to Flacco.

There are many other project QBs worth taking a gamble on, Locker, Bradford, McCoy and possibly Tebow in the 2nd would be nice investments and worth rolling the dice on.

Clausen compares more to a guy like Matt Ryan to me.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Clausen compares more to a guy like Matt Ryan to me.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.. Matt Ryan strikes me as an absolute gamer, he probably had worst talent around him at BC but managed to win more games than Clausen.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.. Matt Ryan strikes me as an absolute gamer, he probably had worst talent around him at BC but managed to win more games than Clausen.

I saw Ryan as a guy who doesnt have all world talent, but is a true gamer with a lot of heart. Clausen seems similar to me.

k-oneputt
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Clausen will be a NFL starter and so will Locker eventually.

Block "O"
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
wow the same network that employs rachel mancow and keith overbite? I'll pass.

Pinkerton Security
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I saw Ryan as a guy who doesnt have all world talent, but is a true gamer with a lot of heart. Clausen seems similar to me.

thats what Locker reminds me of, a gamer, and i think he's a lot like Ryan

X-Era
12-06-2009, 09:05 PM
thats what Locker reminds me of, a gamer, and i think he's a lot like Ryan

Locker, to me, has less intangibles than Clausen but much much better athleticism. I think Locker reminds me more of a guy like Eli Manning with better ability.

Ingtar33
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Locker, to me, has less intangibles than Clausen but much much better athleticism. I think Locker reminds me more of a guy like Eli Manning with better ability.

locker reminds me of kyle boller.

X-Era
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Clausen will be a NFL starter and so will Locker eventually.

Could be right, I was simply drawing comparisons which is unfair to even do at this point.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
locker reminds me of kyle boller.

Didn't you say that 'bout Mallett?? :scratch:

Bmax
12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
wow the same network that employs rachel mancow and keith overbite? I'll pass.

Congrats You have just won the post of the week that makes no sense...

The news department did not make the comments ..The sports anchors did...

Oh well i guess it was a way to work in you political view points...

Lets just keep it sports...and leave the other non sense out...the fact is that NBC might be right ...If Locker and Clausen don't enter the draft...

Bmax

Ingtar33
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Didn't you say that 'bout Mallett?? :scratch:

did i? Yeah... i might have... but i think i said i was being unfair to mallet... because he had a far better season then boller ever did.

i was sorta speaking off the cuff. Mallet is probably better then locker as a prospect. i rather dislike locker.

setting that aside.. they're both underclassmen and it would be nice to see what they do in the combine if they come out.

TacklingDummy
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Locker reminds me of the next bum to put on a Bills uniform.

Luisito23
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM

LOL...Yeah, Locker is a scrub, now watch us trade up for him. :cp:

Demon
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Like i wrote in another thread, Locker is no sure thing. It's no coincidence that in the past 20 years or so, only like 3 underclassmen QBs have had success in the NFL... Big Ben, Bledsoe (although not warrent #1 overall pick) and like one other.... not counting Sanchez or Stafford since it's way too early. The chances are the Bills pick though and find the next great underclassmen QB are slim to none.

Bills will be wiser to just select defense in the first round and hope to find a cheap fix for QB until the 2011 draft.

Ingtar33
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Like i wrote in another thread, Locker is no sure thing. It's no coincidence that in the past 20 years or so, only like 3 underclassmen QBs have had success in the NFL... Big Ben, Bledsoe (although not warrent #1 overall pick) and like one other.... not counting Sanchez or Stafford since it's way too early. The chances are the Bills pick though and find the next great underclassmen QB are slim to none.

Bills will be wiser to just select defense in the first round and hope to find a cheap fix for QB until the 2011 draft.

Bledsoe was a 2 year starter, and Ben a 3 year starter... that's why they weren't busts.

the correlation is more between how many games you've played then what year you came out. If you haven't started at least 24 games the bust potential is astronomical. And 30+ game starters are the lowest risk.

Demon
12-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, they once had Bill Parceles formula for drafting college QBs... it was based on starts and years they played.

Btw, the statistic i posted about 3 or so underclassmen being successful out of like 25 or so in the last 20 years is first round picks only.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2009, 10:27 PM
And what's the success rate of seniors who were drafted in Rd 1 during the same time period?

Demon
12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
And what's the success rate of seniors who were drafted in Rd 1 during the same time period?

I'm not sure, it was a radio host from fox sports talking about it the other day.... but i'm sure it's much higher then 3 out of 25 or whatever the stat was.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I saw an article that lists the underclassmen who weren't successes and who were since 1990.

It lists Bledsoe and Roethlisberger as the only "successes"

However, Vick was successful before the dog fighting.
Vince Young has been very successful when he's been on the field.
Rex Grossman did take the Bears to a SB.
Trent Dilfer helped the Ravens to a SB.
Jeff George did some good things as a pro.

Those 5 are debatable if they are successes or failures, I wouldn't say any are straight out failures though. Maybe a combination of the two.

The article lists 15 underclassmen taken since 1990 in Rd 1.

JMarc, Alex Smith, Couch, Leaf, Shuler, Maddox, Marinovich and Ware are indisputably busts.

So based on your perception it's anywhere from 2 to 7 underclass QBs have or had success at the NFL level. I dunno about you, but going to a SB is pretty successful to me and everyone here woulda taken Rex Grossman over Losman.

So, it's 2 out of 15 or 7 out of 15 or somewhere between on successful Rd1 underclassmen QBs the past 20 years.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
And just at quick glance through seniors who were drafted it's 14 of 32 successes.

patmoran2006
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Regardless of who we draft, I'm sure you'll be more than ready to get your hate on for him.

Ingtar33
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I saw an article that lists the underclassmen who weren't successes and who were since 1990.

It lists Bledsoe and Roethlisberger as the only "successes"

However, Vick was successful before the dog fighting.
Vince Young has been very successful when he's been on the field.
Rex Grossman did take the Bears to a SB.
Trent Dilfer helped the Ravens to a SB.
Jeff George did some good things as a pro.

Those 5 are debatable if they are successes or failures, I wouldn't say any are straight out failures though. Maybe a combination of the two.

The article lists 15 underclassmen taken since 1990 in Rd 1.

JMarc, Alex Smith, Couch, Leaf, Shuler, Maddox, Marinovich and Ware are indisputably busts.

So based on your perception it's anywhere from 2 to 7 underclass QBs have or had success at the NFL level. I dunno about you, but going to a SB is pretty successful to me and everyone here woulda taken Rex Grossman over Losman.

So, it's 2 out of 15 or 7 out of 15 or somewhere between on successful Rd1 underclassmen QBs the past 20 years.

Vick - mixed reviews... as a number 1 pick he's been a bust. he has played 7 seasons and has 11,505 passing yards, 71 TDs 52INTs and a QBR of 75.7... That is the same QBR as JP Losman, and worse then Edwards.

Young - very mixed reviews... like vick in that he seems to manage winning but his passing numbers have been atrocious. 5,974 yards, 26TDs 34INTs, QBR of 71.9... as the 3rd pick in the draft this is embarrassing.

Grosman - horrible turnover machine. The bears went to the superbowl in spite of him, not because of him, this is a guy with 6,197 yards, 33TDs 36INTs, and a QBR of 69.5. We'd of lynched Losman or Edwards if they put up numbers like this.

Dilfer - I can't believe you'd point to him as a "success" no one who watched that Ravens team with the super bowl thought he had anything to do with it: 20,518 yards, 113 TDs 129 INTs, and a QBR of 70.2

Jeff George - easily the best passer in this group, and if he was drafted in round 2 would never probably be on the bust list, however he was a 1st overall pick and hated by his teammates... 27,602yards 154TDs 113INTs and a 80.4 QBR

of everyone you listed only George is boarder line... Young and Vick still have some time to turn their careers around... but right now i don't think you can come to any conclusion but the fact they've been busts.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
You list Dilfer as not being a reason that team succeeded so that means you must forget that Tony Banks was benched that year because he was so ineffective and unable to move a Baltimore offense that didn't score a TD in like 5 weeks.

If Dilfer had nothing to do with that team winning, why would they bench Banks?

Also, why were they a better team with Dilfer than Banks?

Dilfer had a lot to do with the Ravens success that year.

Vick and Young are just guys who win games, stats don't always tell a whole story. If Losman had a winning percentage that rivaled either of those guys he'd still be in Buffalo not in the UFL.

George is the best passer of the group and had decent numbers. I don't see how anyone could label him a bust. A bust is a guy like Losman, Couch, Leaf, JMarc.

Grossman can be argued because he was either hurt or turning the ball over outside of that one season he led them to the SB.

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Firstly, I think there are better QBs likely to be coming out in 2011

Secondly, this draft looks a little like 2007, where there was Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton and Edwards in the first 3 rounds and none have stepped up.

We are better off laying the foundations and finding a game manager in FA for a year

Forward_Lateral
12-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Either way, if Buffalo wants to compete next year, they are going to have to get a vet QB anyways as a stop gap for a season or 2, so it really doesn't matter.

TacklingDummy
12-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Regardless of who we draft, I'm sure you'll be more than ready to get your hate on for him.
Whitner, McCargo, Maybin, Hardy, McFumbles, Losman, POZ, Lynch, odd are you are probably right. :ill:

Yasgur's Farm
12-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Bills have great timing!!The Bills and you had something in common... You both thought Edwards was the answer. You still have something in common... You both just realized Edwards isn't the answer.

I guess your timing sucks too!

HHURRICANE
12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
The Bills and you had something in common... You both thought Edwards was the answer. You still have something in common... You both just realized Edwards isn't the answer.

I guess your timing sucks too!

Edwards is the best QB out of the 2007 draft so it wasn't completely wrong.

HHURRICANE
12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Firstly, I think there are better QBs likely to be coming out in 2011

Secondly, this draft looks a little like 2007, where there was Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton and Edwards in the first 3 rounds and none have stepped up.

We are better off laying the foundations and finding a game manager in FA for a year

There si no QB that can play behind this line so I agree that the QB position is not the biggest problem.

I still believe that a new coach may come in and re-insert Edwards back in as the stop gap. Edwards is probably good enough to run an efficient offense with a good o-line, and Jackson and Lynch running the ball.

If Martz is the coach he's already said that he would start Edwards in so many words.

Yasgur's Farm
12-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Edwards is the best QB out of the 2007 draft so it wasn't completely wrong.You miss the point... You're *****ing about the Bills having the same thinking as yourself.

SABURZFAN
12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Either way, if Buffalo wants to compete next year, they are going to have to get a vet QB anyways as a stop gap for a season or 2, so it really doesn't matter.

i agree. at this point, the Bills need to focus on the line for both sides of the ball. they need to draft players who can contribute right away instead of gambling on players with "potential."

Ed
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure, it was a radio host from fox sports talking about it the other day.... but i'm sure it's much higher then 3 out of 25 or whatever the stat was.
Sorry Demon, but fox sports is not a legitimate source since fox hires losers like Sean Hannity and Glen Beck.

Jeff1220
12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
With Edwards' mentality and conservative play, he seems bred to be a back-up QB. He appears to accept that role (no starter ever would) and is obsessive about not taking chances.
The Bills def need a vet stopgap while they groom a QB the right way, even if it they need to do a trade for one.

HHURRICANE
12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
You miss the point... You're *****ing about the Bills having the same thinking as yourself.

If they bring in Cowher and he brings in Beck as the QB he'll have my full support. I just want someone I can acutally believe knows what he is doing.

bigbub2352
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
there is no way to tell at all who will be good or not until it is showtime and these kids show u how they play in the NFL batism by fire is the only way to truly see what u got in an NFL QB all the experts (that includes all of us ) have been fooled and all have been dead on about players as well

You wont know till u roll the dice and take a kid and throw him in
no other way or no matter how much u watch highlights on him on youtube, or see Mel and Mayock talk about him still wont mean dick until the kid throws a NFL pass or 2....

that being said Draft a QB now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and see what u got in Brohm

TigerJ
12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Several teams are going to reach and draft a QB in the first round. Fortunately, Buffalo won't be one of them. They will wait a few rounds and picka guy to compete with Brohm.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Come one!! Are you serious?? Locker is a starting caliber QB, I understand the criticism of Notre Dame products (Clausen/Quinn) but you can't tell me that Locker doesn't remind you of Philip Rivers at all.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Everyone questioned the talents of Ryan and Flacco too. You never know

SeatownBillsFan21
12-08-2009, 12:28 AM
If Locker comes out he will be solid in the NFL.

Block "O"
12-08-2009, 02:43 AM
we seriously should trade up into the top 3 to get tebow...the future savior of the Buffalo Bills....God Bless...

Ingtar33
12-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Come one!! Are you serious?? Locker is a starting caliber QB, I understand the criticism of Notre Dame products (Clausen/Quinn) but you can't tell me that Locker doesn't remind you of Philip Rivers at all.

Philip Rivers was 4x the QB Locker is.

He started 4 years at college... lead his team to 4 straight bowl games and was MVP of every bowl game.

His average season in 4 years of starting QB play was 3,371 yards passing, 23TD passes with a 9.95 ypa (which is still a D1 record)... Locker has never thrown for more then 2,800 yards in a season, and never threw for more then 21 tds in a season in 3 years as starting QB, he never lead the Huskies to a bowl game and didn't even make the All Pac-10 team as a QB this year. In short his best season wasn't close to Rivers AVERAGE season. In 3 years as starter he won 9 games.

Lets just stop with the Philip Rivers or any great qb comparison. Locker is a mediocre loser with a strong arm and fast feet... who will parlay his physical talents into a disastrous pro career and a few million dollars with a pro football team like the raiders who are easily impressed with measurables and not that interested in whether or not you can even play the game.