PDA

View Full Version : Clauson delclaring for 2010 Draft

Italian Stallion
12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Per ESPN text update (which means a link should soon follow on the website) Jimmy Clauson has decided to forgo his senior season and declare for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Is this the guy were looking for? Does Weiss come here then pick him to run his offense?

I personally like Clauson more than some of the other QB prospects in the draft currently so this makes things interesting.

OpIv37
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Claussen was good at ND but I just don't see it translating well to the pros. He benefited from having great WRs and strugged against better competition. He also has some odd mechanics- not as bad as tebow, but it needs work. If he slips he's worth a shot, but using a high first rounder on him is a waste.

Dr. Pepper
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
ehhhh not sure about this one. if we have a mid 1st round pick and hes still on the board id take him, but i have a feeling some dumbass team is going to reach and take him top 5. no thanks to that.

psubills62
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Golden Tate and Michael Floyd are excellent WR's. I hesitate taking a QB when he has one top-tier WR, much less two. We'll see, he probably wouldn't be a terrible choice, but I hope we don't take him just to take a QB (especially in the first round).

Dr. Pepper
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
it SUCKS that we have so many needs on this team because if our OLine and LBs didnt blow we could actually use a pick on Golden Tate whos going to tear it up in the NFL.

DrGraves
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
We need to unload some junk players for some picks and try to somehow get back into the first round for a second pick...

QB, LB, OLINE, DLINE so many fricken holes... hell even WR will be a huge whole if reed and t.o. both leave

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I dont believe Clausen should of come out development wise, and I dont think he is a good pick for us.

Dr. Pepper
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I dont believe Clausen should of come out development wise, and I dont think he is a good pick for us.

look at it from his POV... he's getting a new coach no matter what, the only difference is $40 million.

EDS
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM

I agree. I hope another team drafting early falls in love with him though.

Right now, unless Okung slips to the Bills, I think McClain looks like a good fit given the huge need at LB. I am sure the rankings will change dramatically in the months ahead though, so who knows.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
look at it from his POV... he's getting a new coach no matter what, the only difference is $40 million.

That's fine but look at from the opposite. He can sign his one big pay day on draft day and then suck for the rest of his career, or he can take a mid level pay day and have two to three more huge pay days. Personally I prefer longevity.

RockStar36
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Ron Burgundy
12-07-2009, 11:35 AM
That's fine but look at from the opposite. He can sign his one big pay day on draft day and then suck for the rest of his career, or he can take a mid level pay day and have two to three more huge pay days. Personally I prefer longevity.

Unless he gets hurt, of course.

If he's smart, that one big payday will last him. And he can always go back and get his degree.

Pinkerton Security
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
im inclined to say NO, especially in the 1st. Hes kinda like Tebow to me, if we could get him in the 2nd or later id actually be kinda excited.

Yasgur's Farm
12-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking McClain all the way at this point.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Unless he gets hurt, of course.

If he's smart, that one big payday will last him. And he can always go back and get his degree.

Well yes of course unless he gets hurt.

True, but how many players does it actually last for? The degree is meaningless at this point, imo. He wouldn't go back next year and complete it. Many Seniors leave college after the bowl game to train for the combine and draft process.

Ron Burgundy
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Well yes of course unless he gets hurt.

True, but how many players does it actually last for? The degree is meaningless at this point, imo. He wouldn't go back next year and complete it. Many Seniors leave college after the bowl game to train for the combine and draft process.
Not next year, but if he craps out in the NFL after one contract, as you suggest.

HHURRICANE
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Per ESPN text update (which means a link should soon follow on the website) Jimmy Clauson has decided to forgo his senior season and declare for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Is this the guy were looking for? Does Weiss come here then pick him to run his offense?

I personally like Clauson more than some of the other QB prospects in the draft currently so this makes things interesting.

When Polian was here I never questioned what the Bills did. I loved every pick.

I'm so negative on this team right now that this guy could be the answer and on his way to his press conference he'd probably be run over by an Orchard Park snow plow.

The minute we pick the guy he'll start sucking.

OpIv37
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Reading this thread reminded me why i hate being a bills fan this time of year. The rest of our mediocre division is talking about playoff possibilities and we're already talking about draft picks.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:19 PM

He definitely shouldn't have gone back...not with a new system and new coach coming in...that would have likely been financial/career suicide. He did the right thing, but I'm not sure how good he'll be in the pros.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Clausen compares to Stafford, talent wise. I'd roll the dice on Clausen, probably even Locker with our 1st draft pick. We need a franchise QB, I'm sick of having these scrubs come in and run our offense. Get a top prospect to be our signal caller.

casdhf
12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
That's fine but look at from the opposite. He can sign his one big pay day on draft day and then suck for the rest of his career, or he can take a mid level pay day and have two to three more huge pay days. Personally I prefer longevity. I'd take 40 now rather than 60 in 5 years.

baalworship
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'd be happy with either Clausen or Bradford with our first pick. Both seem pretty polished and NFL ready. No to Tebow, Locker, etc.

SABURZFAN
12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
i'm not to high on him. then again, i feel the Bills need to work on solidifying their lines on both sides of the ball before going with any QB in the 1st round.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
i'm not to high on him. then again, i feel the Bills need to work on solidifying their lines on both sides of the ball before going with any QB in the 1st round.

Very true...but this team needs a QB. I'm hoping they give Brohm some playing time down the stretch. We need to see what we have in him going into next year.

HAMMER
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I agree with Chickenhawk, god forbid. Let's see what Brohm looks like.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Clausen compares to Stafford, talent wise. I'd roll the dice on Clausen, probably even Locker with our 1st draft pick. We need a franchise QB, I'm sick of having these scrubs come in and run our offense. Get a top prospect to be our signal caller.

Clausen doesnt compare to Stafford at all. Aside from they both have the same big con, decision making.

Stafford has a huge arm, Clausen doesnt.

Clausen is more accurate

Stafford is far more athletic

Stafford was the unquestioned leader

Stafford won big games

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
We need to unload some junk players for some picks and try to somehow get back into the first round for a second pick...

QB, LB, OLINE, DLINE so many fricken holes... hell even WR will be a huge whole if reed and t.o. both leave

OL - LT in the 1st, Okung or Campbell
LB - Sean Lee in the 3rd or 4th
DL - Mike Neal in 2nd, Corey Peters in the 5th
WR - Naaman Roosevelt in the 4th, he'll be a star

RB - Trade Lynch, draft James Starks in the 6th, use the Lynch pick for the best QB left whether it be Pike, Zac Robinson or if they come out Snead or Devlin.

Not all of them are superstar Day1 or Day2 picks but I think all can contribute straight from the off.

For me the most important picks are the Day3 picks R4 to R7. We currently have 5 picks here plus the conditional pick for the Ko Simpson trade. We need 80% to be able to contribute

I'd think the following draft if it fell to us would be as good as we could expect

R1 Campbell LT
R2 Neal DE/DT (3-4, 4-3)
R2/3 Devlin QB (Lynch trade)
R3 Lee LB
R4 Roosevelt WR
R5 Peters DE/DT (3-4, 4-3)
R6 Danny Batten OLB/DE
R6 Starks RB
R7 Cory Jackson FB

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Clausen doesnt compare to Stafford at all. Aside from they both have the same big con, decision making.

Clausen is more accurate

Stafford won big games

Both had huge questions about them coming out of college, many people criticized them both of not being worthy of going #1 overall.

Clausen has a rocket too, if Mallett doesn't declare, Clausen has the best arm of any QB in this class. Stafford may have a better arm, but Clausen isn't exactly weak.

How can you say Stafford is far more athletic than Clausen? At the very least Stafford is a bit quicker, but even that is questionable. It's been a jailbreak for defenders to get to Clausen after every snap, his legs have saved his can.

Who do you think is the unquestioned leader on Notre Dame's squad then? If anything, Golden Tate and Clausen have had to rely on each other more than anything. No way could Floyd be considered their leader and our defense sucked all year so they're out of the question.

Btw, which games were you thinking of that Stafford one? The Capitol One Bowl, maybe? Michigan State is hardly a powerhouse, though.

we are
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Clausen is more accurate

Stafford won big games

Meh, they came in as the #1 team last year and found a way to lose 3 games.

I don't wanna hear about bad decision making. So yeah he throws some balls up in the air at times, but when you have Tate and Floyd thats GOOD decision making. WR's generally are taller and have better ball skills than DB's, its called knowing your personnel. When you only throw 4 INT's...you're not making that many mistakes.

And I would say being more accurate with the velocity Clausen can throw with, is far more important than throwing that fastball Stafford is known for.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Clausen is more accurate

Stafford won big games

He did?

TigerJ
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think so.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2009, 09:52 PM

I don't think he's a good pick for anyone in the NFL.

I think less of him than I did of Brady Quinn.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't think he's a good pick for anyone in the NFL.

I think less of him than I did of Brady Quinn.

Quinn strikes me as an egotist, which is probably my biggest knock on him, Lord knows that the talent is there. Why else did he fall so far on draft day? He must of bombed them interviews!

Block "O"
12-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Tebow's the real deal...lets get him before Jax!!!!! :bf1:

Bill Cody
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Tebow's the real deal...lets get him before Jax!!!!! :bf1:

In the 4th round maybe

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
He did?

Umm...yes.

Beat LSU, Tenn, and So. Car in 08
Alabama, Florida, and Oklahoma State in 07

Also went 3-0 in all his bowl games. Yes he won big games.