12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
1. Cle: Jimmy Clausen QB ND
2. Stl: Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
3. TB: Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
4. Det: Russell Okung OT Oklahoma St.
5. KC: Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
6. Was: Jake Locker QB Washington
7. Buf: ?

With this scenario, who do you pick? I don't care what you think about the picks going 1-6, I care about who you got the Bills taking at 7 in THIS scenario.

I'll go first...

QB Ryan Mallet Arkansas

(I really debated Mallet, McCoy, and Berry, but picking this high, I think we have to go with the best impact high ceiling player on offense, and that's a new QB. You can debate that we brought in Brohm, but a new coach and new regime will want their own guy.)

BlackMetalNinja
12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Cleveland would needs balls of steel to take a QB from ND with the 1st overall pick right now...

casdhf
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
That is the worst top 6 ever.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Cleveland will not be selecting a QB with the 1st pick...

TacklingDummy
12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
The Brady Quinn experiment in Cleveland is not over. Especially the way he's played the past 2 out of 3 games.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 12:27 PM

With this scenario, who do you pick? I don't care what you think about the picks going 1-6, I care about who you got the Bills taking at 7 in THIS scenario.

I'll go first...

QB Ryan Mallet Arkansas

(I really debated Mallet, McCoy, and Berry, but picking this high, I think we have to go with the best impact high ceiling player on offense, and that's a new QB. You can debate that we brought in Brohm, but a new coach and new regime will want their own guy.)

Mallett if he declares, if not Rolando McClain.

Dr. Lecter
While this won't be popular, the best player on the board in this scenario is likely Dez Bryant by a quite a big margin.

Ed
Apparently people don't understand the point of this thread...

I'd do whatever I could to trade down for extra picks, but if I have no takers I'd have to draft Dez Bryant. Too much talent to pass up.

baalworship
12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Gerald McCoy, DT Oklahoma.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 12:29 PM
While this won't be popular, the best player on the board in this scenario is likely Dez Bryant by a quite a big margin.

IDK, I debated about taking Eric Berry in this situation.. I know how we have a tendency of taking DBs with our 1st pick, but Berry may actually be worth it.

casdhf
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with Lecter :ill:

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Apparently people don't understand the point of this thread...

I'd do whatever I could to trade down for extra picks, but if I have no takers I'd have to draft Dez Bryant. Too much talent to pass up.

Apparently, it's pretty obvious that this won't happen...that's the point.

T-Long
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
you guys are idiots. I said I don't give a **** what you think about the top 6, but to make a pick. You can disagree all you want, but no one knows what will happen. This is just a scenario for OUR pick with some top QB's already gone. It's to make you think about what the Bills would do in this case. Geez

yordad
12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
First thing I am doing it punching StL's GM in the head for picking Bradford way too high and preventing me from picking Bradford way too high!

PECKERWOOD
you guys are idiots. I said I don't give a **** what you think about the top 6, but to make a pick. You can disagree all you want, but no one knows what will happen. This is just a scenario for OUR pick with some top QB's already gone. It's to make you think about what the Bills would do in this case. Geez

It's annoyingly hard to make a good pick here, alot of good talent left on the board but none at a position that we truly need.. It comes down to either: Eric Berry, Gerald McCoy or Rolando McClain.. (If Mallett does not declare) Those are the three picks imo that everybody should be debating on.

T-Long
Cleveland will not be selecting a QB with the 1st pick...
Wow! Yet another disagreement from you! You should seriously get rep for every thread you disagree with.

T-Long
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
It's annoyingly hard to make a good pick here, alot of good talent left on the board but none at a position that we truly need.. It comes down to either: Eric Berry, Gerald McCoy or Rolando McClain.. (If Mallett does not declare) Those are the three picks imo that everybody should be debating on.
That's exactly why I made it this way...because there is no clear cut pick.

The Jokeman
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I went best player available and would select Terrence Cody, DT Alabama.

SABURZFAN
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM

I'll go first...

QB Ryan Mallet Arkansas

going by this top 6 scenario that you gave us, i'd have to go with Gerald McCoy- DT- Oklahoma. the Bills are horrid at DT and he would give the them a start at building strength to the line on one side of the ball. i feel that games are won in the trenches and the Bills are weak on both sides.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow! Yet another disagreement from you! You should seriously get rep for every thread you disagree with.

When things are posted that don't make any sense, you should expect me to point it out.

For s**ts and giggles...it's impossible to say what the Bills should do there because there are a lot of things that need to take place between now and the draft. I really can't even try to say what they should do there without all of the information.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
That's exactly why I made it this way...because there is no clear cut pick.

McClain makes sense for multiple reasons, mainly because we have very little money locked up into linebacker and he would be a big upgrade over Posluszny..

McCoy is the player that I wanted to take, but it doesn't make sense to pay Stroud and McCoy so much money. We would have two defensive tackles making 9 million a year, that's a lot of money.. Plus, this would mean that Kyle Williams has to sit on the bench, which is bad because I think he is better than Marcus Stroud tbh.

*Berry is the best player on the board, but it doesn't make sense we take him because both Byrd and Whitner are solid safeties. However, Berry could be intriguing trade bait to move down in the draft to maybe select a more economically friendly pick.. Seattle has two 1st rounders, would they be willing to make a play for the best player in the draft?? Or maybe even the Houston Texans or Atlanta Falcons?

T-Long
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
When thing are posted that don't make any sense, you should expect me to point it out.

For ****s and giggles...it's impossible to say what the Bills should do there because there are a lot of things that need to take place between now and the draft. I really can't even try to say what they should do there without all of the information.

What doesn't make sense? The teams listed that took QB's NEED a QB. It doesn't matter which one they took, because we haven't seen any workouts, combine, etc. The teams that took an OT NEED one. You don't think the Lions and Chiefs need a LT to protect the blindsides of their huge investments in Cassell and Stafford? I don't understand why this doesn't make sense to you.

T-Long
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
McClain makes sense for multiple reasons, mainly because we have very little money locked up into linebacker and he would be a big upgrade over Posluszny..

McCoy is the player that I wanted to take, but it doesn't make sense to pay Stroud and McCoy so much money. We would have two defensive tackles making 9 million a year, that's a lot of money.. Plus, this would mean that Kyle Williams has to sit on the bench, which is bad because I think he is better than Marcus Stroud tbh.

*Berry is the best player on the board, but it doesn't make sense we take him because both Byrd and Whitner are solid safeties. However, Berry could be intriguing trade bait to move down in the draft to maybe select a more economically friendly pick.. Seattle has two 1st rounders, would they be willing to make a play for the best player in the draft?? Or maybe even the Houston Texans or Atlanta Falcons?

Points well taken. That's exactly my thinking with both McClain and McCoy.

It's easy to say trade out, but it takes two teams to do that. With all the holes on this team, trading out is probably the best scenario, but the problem is finding that trade partner.

Yasgur's Farm
12-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Round 1 - LB McClain - Worst run D in the NFL
Round 2 - DT Dan Williams - Need NT for 3-4 plus worst run D in the NFL
Round 3 - QB LeFevour or Tebow - Vet QB to start and groom Brohm & 3rd rounder

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
What doesn't make sense? The teams listed that took QB's NEED a QB. It doesn't matter which one they took, because we haven't seen any workouts, combine, etc. The teams that too a OT NEED one. You don't think the Lions and Chiefs need a LT to protect the blindsides of their huge investments in Cassell and Stafford? I don't understand why this doesn't make sense to you.

The Browns do NOT need a QB...Quinn will be the QB there...that I do know. That is the problem with the projections. It doesn't even matter, like I said in my previous post, I couldn't even guess who they should take there...not enough information at this point.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Points well taken. That's exactly my thinking with both McClain and McCoy.

It's easy to say trade out, but it takes two teams to do that. With all the holes on this team, trading out is probably the best scenario, but the problem is finding that trade partner.

Exactly...it's hard to trade a pick that high in the draft...nobody wants to pay top 10 money.

Ed
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Apparently, it's pretty obvious that this won't happen...that's the point.
Actually, the only thing that is obvious is that it's early December so you a long with everyone else really have no clue what's going to happen during the draft in late April. A lot of players are going to rise and fall. The order isn't even set yet and we still have to go through free agency.

This is just a fun hypothetical situation. Trying to determine probability of it occurring is irrelevant.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Actually, the only thing that is obvious is that it's early December so you a long with everyone else really have no clue what's going to happen during the draft in late April. A lot of players are going to rise and fall. The order isn't even set yet and we still have to go through free agency.

This is just a fun hypothetical situation. Trying to determine probability of it occurring is irrelevant.

Read the rest of my posts and that's exactly what I said...I couldn't even guess who they should take there. I just know that the Browns will not draft a QB in the 1st round.

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Campbell won't go 5th.

KC are more likely to go Berry as their secondary is 100% horrible.

I think that Seattle could easily move up to grab Locker, but I think Detroit won't go LT as they apparently like Backus so will go after McCoy or Berry

1. Cleveland - Clausen
2. St Louis - Locker
3. Tampa - Suh
4. Detroit - Berry
5. KC - Okung
6. Washington - Bradford
7. BUFFALO - BRUCE CAMPBELL
8. Oakland - Mallett
9. Seattle - McCoy

WeAreArthurMoates
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd have to go Bruce Campbell or Rolando McClain if Mallet doesn't declare. Though, I think Mallet will.

yordad
12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
The Browns do NOT need a QB...Quinn will be the QB there...that I do know. That is the problem with the projections. It doesn't even matter, like I said in my previous post, I couldn't even guess who they should take there...not enough information at this point.Dang dude, it is hypothetical. The Bills aren't actually going to draft the guy you suggest they draft in early December on a message board.

Edit: OK, I just noticed Ed said essentially the same thing.

psubills62
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Wait a second...you don't think we need a LB?

Out of those, probably McClain. But Dez Bryant should definitely be in the discussion.

Ed
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Read the rest of my posts and that's exactly what I said...I couldn't even guess who they should take there. I just know that the Browns will not draft a QB in the 1st round.
Well this thread is just for fun, so don't worry about not having all the info. You're not actually making the pick for real. It's just interesting to see what people are thinking based on what we do know so far.

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Out of those, probably McClain. But Dez Bryant should definitely be in the discussion.

I think we could get a starting LB in R2 or R3 - Top10 is a little too high

Mahdi
12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I would pick the top prospect out of OL/DL/QB left on the board....

Mahdi
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Exactly. This is a team starving on the lines and at QB and ppl still want a LB. Dont get it.

PECKERWOOD

McClain was my pick, that's if Mallett stays in school.

T-Long
Now that I think about it...we'll probably go corner.

TigerJ
12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
A great deal depends on the new head coach and the systems he chooses to employ, particularly on defense. I don't think it will be any QB. I think it's most likely to be an offensive tackle or a defensive tackle. I'd be inclined to think defensive tackle if the new head coach moves to a 3-4 alignment.

tampabay25690
12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
No comment from me

DrGraves
12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
i just lost respect for you t-long...

T-Long
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
i just lost respect for you t-long...
?

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I think we can easily move to a 3-4 in FA

We sign Dwan Edwards DE from the Ravens, sign Gabe Wilson NT from Arizona and draft Mike Neal from Purdue in R2 and we have a DL

If we sign Chris Gocong from the Eagles or Darryl Tapp from the Seahawks and add to Pozluzny-Mitchell-Maybin and we've a LB Corps. Sean Lee in the 3rd or 4th, Danny Batten in 5th or 6th and we've added depth whilst saving R1 for the desperately needed LT

tampabay25690
12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I think we can easily move to a 3-4 in FA

We sign Dwan Edwards DE from the Ravens, sign Gabe Wilson NT from Arizona and draft Mike Neal from Purdue in R2 and we have a DL

If we sign Chris Gocong from the Eagles or Darryl Tapp from the Seahawks and add to Pozluzny-Mitchell-Maybin and we've a LB Corps. Sean Lee in the 3rd or 4th, Danny Batten in 5th or 6th and we've added depth whilst saving R1 for the desperately needed LT

Thats alot of what ifs for something that we won't do.......
Lets get a coach 1st and go from there...

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
If we were shifting 3-4 it is essentially 3 medium priced free agents.

EDS
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Exactly. This is a team starving on the lines and at QB and ppl still want a LB. Dont get it.

The team is "dead" a linebacker, forget staring, and McClain seems like a real talent, which is why people are interested. I can't think of a team in recent memory with a worse group of linebackers.

The QBs don't look very appealing that early in round 1 and it there may not be a viable LT available. If a good DT or OT is available I doubt anyone would complain with such a pick.

methos4ever
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
If we were shifting 3-4 it is essentially 3 medium priced free agents.
If we're switching for those guys in an uncapped year, most of them are going to be restricted fas, or transition/frachise players. So it'd be a lot of money and a pick at times for them. Pass. I'd rather just add some beef in the middle with another DT and a LB at Mike or Sam and we've beefed up the 4-3 we have now.

Demon
12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
The Brady Quinn experiment in Cleveland is not over. Especially the way he's played the past 2 out of 3 games.

One of my friends is a diehard Browns fan, and he hopes they stick with Quinn but he doubts it because Mangini apparently hates him. Hates him and hates his style. That said, the wise thing for them to do is give him a true #1 WR before judging him. So i think Browns pick Dez Bryant, although, #1 overall may be way too high for him.

T-Long
12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
What bothers me is I am of the thinking of taking the best player available, no matter what our need is. We aren't in a spot to start reaching just because we have a specific need there. I just don't want another Mike Williams episode.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
What bothers me is I am of the thinking of taking the best player available, no matter what our need is. We aren't in a spot to start reaching just because we have a specific need there. I just don't want another Mike Williams episode.

Your pick should be Eric Berry then.

Night Train
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
It better be a front 7 D player or an OL.

I'll throw something at the TV if it's a QB or any other skill position player.:down:

Beebe's Kid
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Best player available is the best draft strategy... I wish we were afforded that luxury. That is how the bottom half of the 1st round can draft. We have too many holes. I think we need to go OL or QB. It is really going to depend on FA. OL is expensivo, and QB's are few and far between.

I take Tebow. That's just me, but the kid's ability to be a winner and leader (tough loss to a dominant Tide on Saturday) is not something that can be developed. It's just my opinion...which you asked for.

I see no real way to get a good vet QB...when I say good, I want playoffs. Our OL needs the most attention and is going to cost us, but we need some proven vets there. Write the check, please, Mr. Wison.

I think the 3-4 is a great idea, and instead of replacing Poz, I like the idea of complimenting him. That's just me, I don't think in terms of needing to replace the talent we already have, and I think of Poz as talented.

It is going to be exciting to say the least!!

ServoBillieves
12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Terry Hughes <_<

ServoBillieves
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Just kidding... Gerald McCoy, DT.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
The pick is Dez Bryant, same as last time...the consolation prize is Berry, the G. McCoy.

X-Era
12-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Id take Gerald McCoy, Dez Bryant, Bruce Campbell, Rolando McClain, maybe even Ryan Mallett.

But the guy Id want with that pick more than any would be Derrick Morgan!

I dont buy for a second that 3 QB's go before our pick by the way. It wouldnt surprise if none went before our pick... I think only one, maybe two will.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Id take Gerald McCoy

I dont buy for a second that 3 QB's go before our pick by the way. It wouldnt surprise if none went before our pick... I think only one, maybe two will.

There will be at least three teams in need of a QB and maybe some more trying to trade up. Its a very shallow class so QB's will be a high premium.

kernowboy
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Best player available is the best draft strategy... I wish we were afforded that luxury. That is how the bottom half of the 1st round can draft. We have too many holes. I think we need to go OL or QB. It is really going to depend on FA. OL is expensivo, and QB's are few and far between.

I take Tebow. That's just me, but the kid's ability to be a winner and leader (tough loss to a dominant Tide on Saturday) is not something that can be developed. It's just my opinion...which you asked for.

I see no real way to get a good vet QB...when I say good, I want playoffs. Our OL needs the most attention and is going to cost us, but we need some proven vets there. Write the check, please, Mr. Wison.

I think the 3-4 is a great idea, and instead of replacing Poz, I like the idea of complimenting him. That's just me, I don't think in terms of needing to replace the talent we already have, and I think of Poz as talented.

It is going to be exciting to say the least!!

Tebow - yes he is a winner and leader in college football, but without massive amounts of work it will a completely wasted pick. He cannot start for at least 3 years.

There are other leaders and winners who will be starting far earlier than Tim

X-Era
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
There will be at least three teams in need of a QB and maybe some more trying to trade up. Its a very shallow class so QB's will be a high premium.

I dont disagree that there is 3 at the top and a drop off (unless Mallett declares).

Teams may try to trade up , or simply see that none are worth a top 5 pick.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I dont disagree that there is 3 at the top and a drop off (unless Mallett declares).

Teams may try to trade up , or simply see that none are worth a top 5 pick.

None are worth the top 15 but that's a different discussion.

Ingtar33
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
None are worth the top 15 but that's a different discussion.

yet 2 will probably go in the top 5... maybe even 3 if the seahawks manage to trade up.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
yet 2 will probably go in the top 5... maybe even 3 if the seahawks manage to trade up.

And I will be estatic with McCoy, Berry, Bryant, or Okung!

Mr. Pink
12-07-2009, 08:01 PM
WR Dez Bryant should be the pick if it plays out like this.

TO is likely gone, Reed may be gone, Parrish is likely gone...

We will need a WR in the offseason and why not get the best one in the draft not to mention a top 3 player overall?

Bill Cody
12-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Let's trade up for an average safety instead.:jig:

Bmax
12-07-2009, 09:01 PM
If i'm Cleveland i'm trading down and drafting CJ Spiller from Clemson...They guy is a homerun RB pick..Get more picks...down to about 5 or 6 or hey Seven with us...at #1 we take SUH from Nebraska...

Bmax

Ingtar33
12-07-2009, 09:03 PM
If i'm Cleveland i'm trading down and drafting CJ Spiller from Clemson...They guy is a homerun RB pick..Get more picks...down to about 5 or 6 or hey Seven with us...at #1 we take SUH from Nebraska...

Bmax

if anyone in the top 5 is trading down they'll trade down with Seattle who has 2 mid to high first round picks this year... and is probably desperate for a new QB (Matt Hasselbeck is shot).

Bmax
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
And I will be estatic with McCoy, Berry, Bryant, or Okung!

No to Berry and no to Bryant

McCoy and Okung yes !!!!!!

Once again stay away from Sec and WR we need to build a biggger, stronger and more physical team...

Bmax

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
No to Berry and no to Bryant

McCoy and Okung yes !!!!!!

Once again stay away from Sec and WR we need to build a biggger, stronger and more physical team...

Bmax

Bryant is one of the biggest most physical WR's to come out in a while...Berry while not overly physical is a hell of a athlete.

psubills62
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM

IMO, that's the thinking that has decimated our LB corps. Every round it seems as though our FO thinks "well, we don't need a LB this round, we could get one later," until they finally pick one out of desperation in the 5th. I'm sick of 5th round LB's, I want a dominant one like McClain.

we are
12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
IMO, that's the thinking that has decimated our LB corps. Every round it seems as though our FO thinks "well, we don't need a LB this round, we could get one later," until they finally pick one out of desperation in the 5th. I'm sick of 5th round LB's, I want a dominant one like McClain.

We can say that about pretty much every position tho lol.

Akhippo
12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Here comes the "once in a decade" receiver talk. Receiver should not even come into play. Not if a top DT or O lineman is available. A WR is dependant on a good line who has to give the QB protection. Then they have to depend on the QB to be able to make a play.

Look how much of a difference the all hyped Calvin Johnson is making in Detroit. Two seasons and one win. A win.

I would pick McCoy with the pick.

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Bruce Campbell is this years Ryan Clady to Russell Okung's Jake Long.

Personally I'd jump at the prospect of either guarding the Qb's blindside

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Bryant is one of the biggest most physical WR's to come out in a while...Berry while not overly physical is a hell of a athlete.

Agreed, both are top prospects in this draft and both are blue-chippers

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:52 AM

I have no issue with them taking a LB like McClain

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Here comes the "once in a decade" receiver talk. Receiver should not even come into play. Not if a top DT or O lineman is available. A WR is dependant on a good line who has to give the QB protection. Then they have to depend on the QB to be able to make a play.

Look how much of a difference the all hyped Calvin Johnson is making in Detroit. Two seasons and one win. A win.

I would pick McCoy with the pick.
Calvin is a stud, he had 1300+ yards and 12 TD's last year. Having him allowed Detroit to trade Roy Williams.

Adding a potential stud WR like Bryant could be huge... that would be a nice problem to have.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:55 AM

Okung yes, Campbell yes if other guys ranked higher dont fall.

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Okung yes, Campbell yes if other guys ranked higher dont fall.

Some are saying that by the time of the draft, Campbell will be higher on most teams rankings than Okung

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Some are saying that by the time of the draft, Campbell will be higher on most teams rankings than Okung

Who has said that?

Campbell had a tough year, filled with injuries, Okung would have to get hurt right now to get passed by Campbell, or just completely blow the workouts and interviews.

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
It better be a front 7 D player or an OL.

I'll throw something at the TV if it's a QB or any other skill position player.:down:
True. We're set at QB.

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 08:22 AM

Russel Okung is actually very similar to Clady.

patmoran2006
12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
who's the best safety in the draft? We only have 4, need that secondary depth.

patmoran2006
12-08-2009, 08:33 AM
TLong.

I dont know enough about the draft to make a good guess right now.. Is there is a stud LB in the Top 10? If so, under your scenario that would be mypick.

The one thing I do know, is that DT from Nebraska aint lasting til the 3rd pick.

Bill Cody
12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
We could be given the 1st 12 picks in the draft and our FO would **** it up.:crazy:

yordad
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Calvin is a stud, he had 1300+ yards and 12 TD's last year. Having him allowed Detroit to trade Roy Williams.

Adding a potential stud WR like Bryant could be huge... that would be a nice problem to have.OK, IMO, lose Owens, draft Bryant = same team = 5-11 for another two years.

I will accept an upgrade to the run D, and upgrade to the pass blocking, or an upgrade at QB. Anything else would piss me right off. All the best WRs in the league aren't going to help if we can't pass, or block, or even get our offense back on the field.

yordad
12-08-2009, 08:56 AM
who's the best safety in the draft? We only have 4, need that secondary depth.I don't think you get secondary depth with the 7th pick overall.

T-Long
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
TLong.

I dont know enough about the draft to make a good guess right now.. Is there is a stud LB in the Top 10? If so, under your scenario that would be mypick.

The one thing I do know, is that DT from Nebraska aint lasting til the 3rd pick.

The first linebacker that's going to be chosen is Rolando McClain...he is the next Ray Lewis in all aspects.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
who's the best safety in the draft? We only have 4, need that secondary depth.

Eric Berry, he has top 5 talent, but he's a safety so he may fall to 7ish.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
The first linebacker that's going to be chosen is Rolando McClain...he is the next Ray Lewis in all aspects.

If he declares he's only a junior.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think you get secondary depth with the 7th pick overall.
You get a secondary starter who bumps the old starter to the bench which creates secondary depth...

Akhippo
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
The only way E Berry or D Bryant should help this team next year is if they help us trade out of our spot and pick up some nice picks.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
The only way E Berry or D Bryant should help this team next year is if they help us trade out of our spot and pick up some nice picks.

Or they could play for us. As both would fill needs.

EDS
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
The pick is Dez Bryant, same as last time...the consolation prize is Berry, the G. McCoy.

Good wide receivers are not that hard to find. Without a QB and a decent line once in a decade talents like Calvin Johnson just go to waste.

yordad
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Or they could play for us. As both would fill needs.And by the time we they will be any benefit for us their contract will be up.

EDS
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Secondary needs. Primary needs remain DL, LB, OT and QB. Jerry Rice in his prime couldn't help the offense with the current offensive line and QB situation.

I am trying to think of top 10 receivers who have really had an impact on their team. Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as far as recent drafts, but not much else, though Calvin Johnson certaintly has a chance.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Good wide receivers are not that hard to find. Without a QB and a decent line once in a decade talents like Calvin Johnson just go to waste.

Good are not, but #1 WR's are.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Secondary needs. Primary needs remain DL, LB, OT and QB. Jerry Rice in his prime couldn't help the offense with the current offensive line and QB situation.

I am trying to think of top 10 receivers who have really had an impact on their team. Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as far as recent drafts, but not much else, though Calvin Johnson certaintly has a chance.

Primary need is to just some talent on this team by BPA. Positional needs are secondary at this point, not one position on this team is set (outside of P).

Dr. Lecter
12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Primary need is to just some talent on this team by BPA. Positional needs are secondary at this point, not one position on this team is set (outside of P).

And LS!!!

Our guy from FSU is pretty solid!

yordad
12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Primary need is to just some talent on this team by BPA. Positional needs are secondary at this point, not one position on this team is set (outside of P).IMO, if you keep drafting on BPA ONLY, then your team will continue to have GLARING holes that never get filled, and you never get full use out of your BPA anyways.

Free agency killed BPA. Not many teams can afford to draft strictly BPA. And, it is clear the Bills don't either.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
IMO, if you keep drafting on BPA ONLY, then your team will continue to have GLARING holes that never get filled, and you never get full use out of your BPA anyways.

Free agency killed BPA. Not many teams can afford to draft strictly BPA. And, it is clear the Bills don't either.

I never said to draft BPA only and always. You're making assumptions, instead try and just ask a question instead.

Dr. Lecter
IMO, if you keep drafting on BPA ONLY, then your team will continue to have GLARING holes that never get filled, and you never get full use out of your BPA anyways.

When the team is full of glaring holes (like the Bills) you go BPA. If you are the Patriots, Colts, Saints, Vikings, etc you fill holes. Even a team like Houston (mid-pack team) can do so.

The Bills, Rams Tampa, Oakland, Detroit, Browns, etc. need to go BPA (within reason)

DraftBoy
And LS!!!

Our guy from FSU is pretty solid!

Garrison Sanborn...sad I know his name.

Dr. Lecter
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
BTW, I also would not draft a RB in the 1st round.

Dr. Lecter
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Garrison Sanborn...sad I know his name.

I knew it too. When they signed him.

I am not nearly as up as you are on college football, but my gang of thugs I try to keep up on!

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
BTW, I also would not draft a RB in the 1st round.

You got a better back on this roster than CJ Spiller? Just asking...

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM

I am not nearly as up as you are on college football, but my gang of thugs I try to keep up on!

Myron Rolle got invited to the Senior Bowl, btw.

Dr. Lecter
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Now that Omon is gone, no.

But I am not sure that the difference between Spiller and the best remaining LT, DT, QB (not this year), WR, LB, DB, etc is significant enough to make me take another RB.

SABURZFAN
12-08-2009, 12:03 PM

that still doesn't improve your street cred.

EDS
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM

The problem is this team has at least servicable starters in the secondary and could get a second servicable wide receiver via free agency (or latter in the draft). What this team does not have is anything approaching a servicable starting linebacker (with the exception of Poz) and no viable starting offensive tackles. The DL also need some serious help given how easy it is to run on this team.

Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott in their prime couldn't do anything to help this team if those other areas are not addressed.

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Berry would fill a need?

Pretty sure we have 2 very good safeties. One ball hawk and one that is a jack of all trades and will only improve with a better front 7.

We have much bigger needs that can be filled with high prospects other than Berry. If Berry grades out to a 97 and a DL or QB in the top 10 grades out to a 95 or 96 then it would make no sense at all to draft Berry just because he grades out slightly higher.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM

But I am not sure that the difference between Spiller and the best remaining LT, DT, QB (not this year), WR, LB, DB, etc is significant enough to make me take another RB.

Maybe not at 7, but if we slide down to 10 or 11, it could be. Im not advocating taking a RB, Im simply saying Im not going to rule it out either. Spiller and Dwyer (I think he's leaving) are two great backs.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Berry would fill a need?

Pretty sure we have 2 very good safeties. One ball hawk and one that is a jack of all trades and will only improve with a better front 7.

We have much bigger needs that can be filled with high prospects other than Berry. If Berry grades out to a 97 and a DL or QB in the top 10 grades out to a 95 or 96 then it would make no sense at all to draft Berry just because he grades out slightly higher.

I see one good S...who is the other? I swear to god if you say Donte Whitner you will lose a ton of credibility.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
The problem is this team has at least servicable starters in the secondary and could get a second servicable wide receiver via free agency (or latter in the draft). What this team does not have is anything approaching a servicable starting linebacker (with the exception of Poz) and no viable starting offensive tackles. The DL also need some serious help given how easy it is to run on this team.

Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott in their prime couldn't do anything to help this team if those other areas are not addressed.

I completely disagree with that last statement, and your post makes it appear that you're ok with servicable starters. Im simply not, I want playmakers and Im willing to take them where I can get them and build around it. Not taking a playmaker is a mistake.

Ron Burgundy
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM

We would if we drafted Jon Dwyer.

yordad
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I completely disagree with that last statement, and your post makes it appear that you're ok with servicable starters. Im simply not, I want playmakers and Im willing to take them where I can get them and build around it. Not taking a playmaker is a mistake.Could it be that our "serviceable starters" are actually playmakers, they are just being held back by our "don't belong in the NFL" starters?

I will take Whitner at Safety for my team over Chambers, or whoever the hell we have playing tackle, any day of my life.

yordad
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
When the team is full of glaring holes (like the Bills) you go BPA. If you are the Patriots, Colts, Saints, Vikings, etc you fill holes. Even a team like Houston (mid-pack team) can do so.

The Bills, Rams Tampa, Oakland, Detroit, Browns, etc. need to go BPA (within reason)I believe it is the exact opposite. With no NFL QB in site of our roster (that we know of) we have no business up grading a "serviceable" safety. Look what upgrading WR (TO) did for us with our crappy line and QBs. NADA.

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I see one good S...who is the other? I swear to god if you say Donte Whitner you will lose a ton of credibility.
Although Donte Whitner is not a superstar as he was supposed to be, the guy does a lot for the defense.

He is no PBer but he is definitely a starter in this league. And the key for every NFL team is to have a capable starter in every position and sprinkle in some elite stars throughout the team.

Already having Byrd who may go to the PB this year, he and Whitner provide us with everything we need at the safety spot.

Adding another safety will not help this team that much. Adding a DLmen who can disrupt plays BEFORE they start would be huge and would make these two safeties we already have even better.

EDS
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I completely disagree with that last statement, and your post makes it appear that you're ok with servicable starters. Im simply not, I want playmakers and Im willing to take them where I can get them and build around it. Not taking a playmaker is a mistake.

This team needs a playmaker in the defensive front 7 and a starting caliber offensive tackle. Without them the team will suck in perpetuity regardless of who is playing safety or wide receiver (particularly in light of the lack of talent this team has a QB).

Berry is a great prospect and I agree that Whitner is a marginal performer. Same with Bryant. But if the team takes another safety then it will be akin to Detroit taking wide receivers.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Could it be that our "serviceable starters" are actually playmakers, they are just being held back by our "don't belong in the NFL" starters?

I will take Whitner at Safety for my team over Chambers, or whoever the hell we have playing tackle, any day of my life.

Allow me to answer your first question directly and to the point: No.

Ok, Ill take Berry playing and then draft an OT to easily take over for Chambers as well since this draft is deep with them.

Have fun with a below average cover guy!

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Although Donte Whitner is not a superstar as he was supposed to be, the guy does a lot for the defense.

He is no PBer but he is definitely a starter in this league. And the key for every NFL team is to have a capable starter in every position and sprinkle in some elite stars throughout the team.

Already having Byrd who may go to the PB this year, he and Whitner provide us with everything we need at the safety spot.

Adding another safety will not help this team that much. Adding a DLmen who can disrupt plays BEFORE they start would be huge and would make these two safeties we already have even better.

You're not understanding my point. Its not about grabbing Berry just because he's better than Whitner, which he is and would make it extremely hard to throw deep on our team, but that's a different story.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
This team needs a playmaker in the defensive front 7 and a starting caliber offensive tackle. Without them the team will suck in perpetuity regardless of who is playing safety or wide receiver (particularly in light of the lack of talent this team has a QB).

Berry is a great prospect and I agree that Whitner is a marginal performer. Same with Bryant. But if the team takes another safety then it will be akin to Detroit taking wide receivers.

The team needs a playmaker anywhere, not just in the front 7 or at OT. With them the team will still suck until all pieces are in palce.

No taking another S is not akin to Detroit grabbing WR's.

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
You're not understanding my point. Its not about grabbing Berry just because he's better than Whitner, which he is and would make it extremely hard to throw deep on our team, but that's a different story.
Teams wont have to throw on us because we will have difficulty putting up points if we keep spending high picks on DBs.

We have one of the best coverage units in the league. No one throws deep on us already.

We need OL and DL and QB and I am certain there is going to be one available in those positions that grades out similar to Berry.

Personally, I want Derrick Morgan. If we move to a 3-4 this guy can be a beast of a OLB.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Best remaining?

It should be:

1) Best player available who fits a need and is worth that pick
2) Trade down
3) Best player available
4) Reach based on need

Its very possible that at our pick the players who remain are not worth that pick, and you aren't getting real value in a trade down. Which makes best player available the next option.

Spiller is a helluva prospect who could make Lynch or Jackson trade-able as well as Parrish most likely.

That's a nice luxury to have.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Could it be that our "serviceable starters" are actually playmakers, they are just being held back by our "don't belong in the NFL" starters?

If I never hear the terms "serviceable" and "game manager" again it will be to soon.

At least on this perpetually mediocre team.