PDA

View Full Version : McShay's top 5 QB's

T-Long
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
ESPN's Todd McShay ranks for Sporting News the top five draft-eligible quarterbacks in college football:

LINK (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-12-07/draft-expert-todd-mcshay-puts-clausen-no-3-on-list-pro-bound)

Tbuffalobills
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Please do not draft Jimmy!!!!

The Local Sports Talk in San Diego has has several people on saying that guy is a nut job just like Ryan Leaf!

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Please do not draft Jimmy!!!!

The Local Sports Talk in San Diego has has several people on saying that guy is a nut job just like Ryan Leaf!

No way, there will never be another draft bust on Ryan Leaf proportions, CURSES!

RockStar36
12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
No way, there will never be another draft bust on Ryan Leaf proportions, CURSES!

JaMarcus Russell?

Demon
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't understand, Todd McShay has been drooling over Locker and Bradford all year as the guys who are #1.... and the day Clausen announces he's going pro, he has him move up? What? This is like some teams in college move up from 6th to 4th because of style points because they destoyed someone while #5 struggled in a win. McShay is a loser.

Raptor
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Clausen will easily be the best QB from this draft, Locker has been way overhyped

Demon
12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Clausen will easily be the best QB from this draft, Locker has been way overhyped

I doubt it. I heard like 3 or 4 of his lineman are expecting to get drafted too. Then add a heck of a RB, two WR's Tate and Micheal Floyd who are some of the best WR's in college, and a awesome TE, an open tryout on BZ could find someone who can air it out to these guys. I really doubt Clausen can succeed in the NFL. On top of him being babyfed in college, he lacks accuracy and he lacks leadership.

T-Long
12-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I would rank them this way

1. Locker
2. Bradford
3. Claussen
4. McCoy
5. Tebow

Slim
12-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I doubt Clausen ever gets to this level. But coming out of college he reminds me a lot of Drew Brees. Good accuracy, not as big as you would like, can make all the throws, but doesn't have a big time arm.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
JaMarcus Russell?

Still, JaMarcus is terribad, I agree but not as bad as Leaf.

trapezeus
12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
leaf was an epic bust never to be reached again because he not only struggled, he was a royal douchebag. he openly spited the rest of the team. i don't think you'll see a guy be that publically determined to ride his name into the dirt.

Russell sucks and he sucks bad, but he's been more or less a trooper. you don't hear him undermining his locker-room (although, i don't know how you undermine that team. they all are kind of thugs and miscreants.)

It certainly goes on in all sorts of forms, by Leaf really made a huge negative impression on everyone early.

Night Train
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Let's see...No,No,No,No & No. Well, that was easy.

Now list the Lineman we need.

ServoBillieves
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Tony Pike in round 3 ftw.

Locker feels like a JP pick to me, I don't know why. Bradford's injury concerns me, I just straight up don't like Clausen's mindset (throw it up, not gonna work against NFL D-Backs.), Tebow is a dark horse, and McCoy... well McCoy has me on edge. I can't tell if McCoy will be a good QB in the NFL or not.

YoungEz
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Clausen is a giant deuschbag too prolly worse than Leaf in that aspect...

Seriously you go to a college where football is everything and you are the "star QB" and yet everyone on campus hates you...

hmm think something is wrong there

Raptor
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I doubt it. I heard like 3 or 4 of his lineman are expecting to get drafted too. Then add a heck of a RB, two WR's Tate and Micheal Floyd who are some of the best WR's in college, and a awesome TE, an open tryout on BZ could find someone who can air it out to these guys. I really doubt Clausen can succeed in the NFL. On top of him being babyfed in college, he lacks accuracy and he lacks leadership.

lol ridicules post. Lacks accuracy? Ok he only threw for 68% and so what if 4 of 5 of the lineman get drafted if you watched him this year you would know that OL was avg at best

Bottom line he has the most starts in a pro system than any other QB and theres not a weakness in his game right now, well except the people who blindly hate ND

Raptor
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Clausen is a giant deuschbag too prolly worse than Leaf in that aspect...

Seriously you go to a college where football is everything and you are the "star QB" and yet everyone on campus hates you...

hmm think something is wrong there

Completely false

Demon
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
lol ridicules post. Lacks accuracy? Ok he only threw for 68% and so what if 4 of 5 of the lineman get drafted if you watched him this year you would know that OL was avg at best

Bottom line he has the most starts in a pro system than any other QB and theres not a weakness in his game right now, well except the people who blindly hate ND

So did Brady Quinn, how did that turn out?

Block "O"
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Teb-HO is #1 and when comparing the others to his god-fearingness it wouldn't be fair putting them as 2,3, 4, and 5.

1. Teb-HO
100. Bradford
101. Pike
102. Locker
103. LeFevour

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Let's see...No,No,No,No & No. Well, that was easy.

Now list the Lineman we need.

LOL good one NT! :)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Teb-HO is #1 and when comparing the others to his god-fearingness it wouldn't be fair putting them as 2,3, 4, and 5.

1. Teb-HO
100. Bradford
101. Pike
102. Locker
103. LeFevour

not sure if i should neg you for this... are you dissing his faith?

Demon
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Brady Quinn's biggest question entering the NFL and why he dropped in the draft so much was his accuracy. Just looking at stats, but Quinn's passing % is pretty much the same as Clausen's... except this year when Clausen is a bit higher then Quinn's highest, although like i said, Clausen has a loaded offense.

Their offensive line is very good. It looked like it had cracks when Clausen took over 5-6 seconds to throw the ball. Any defense with time will over come the offensive line. The guy just couldn't find anyone and waited and waited. I've seen it too much. In the NFL, thats a sack. In the NFL, they will make him throw those and those near misses are INTs. I highly doubt, Clausen will ever have the quality of recieving core like he had in Notre Dame... Micheal Floyd, Golden Tate and Randph. And a good running game so the defenses always had to be on an edge....

BillsWin
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I think it goes Bradford, Clausen then Locker, but with the shoulder injury to Bradford and Clausen having those fantastic wide receivers McShay's list is accurate by my opinion.

Demon
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
After the Navy game, McShay said Clausen would drop to the 2nd round. I honestly don't know what changed.... that's why i don't like these guys on ESPN. As Thurman Thomas said, if Kiper or McShay were so smart on prospects, they'd be making much more $$$$ working for an NFL team then working 12 hour days at ESPN.

DrGraves
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
After the Navy game, McShay said Clausen would drop to the 2nd round. I honestly don't know what changed.... that's why i don't like these guys on ESPN. As Thurman Thomas said, if Kiper or McShay were so smart on prospects, they'd be making much more $$$$ working for an NFL team then working 12 hour days at ESPN.

they get paid way more bank at espn than they would working in the nfl..

ParanoidAndroid
12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Yuck! This QB draft class sucks goat balls for quarters. I say wait until next year to get a rookie.... Andrew Luck might be available in 2011.

Maybe take a late round flier on LeFavour.

If the Bills can grab a franchise LT and fix the O-line, a pocket passer like Bulger might resurrect his career. Anybody remember how good he was when the Rams had an O-line? This could work if they don't make the same mistake they made with Bledsoe.

Demon
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
they get paid way more bank at espn than they would working in the nfl..

ESPN doesn't pay their experts very much so i highly doubt it.

There's a reason why ESPN hires like 23 people to cover the NFL..... cheap hires.

Yasgur's Farm
12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
LeFevour round 3... He and Broham can be groomed behind a stop-gap vet starter (Vick, Fitz). Sure it sucks... But it's reallity. Bills may be willing... But the talent simply isn't there. Time to develope the run.

Fix the worst run D in the NFL...
Round 1 - LB Rolando McClain/DE Derrick Morgan/DE Everson Griffen
Round 2 - DT Dan Williams/DT Cody Terrence

X-Era
12-07-2009, 06:26 PM

So, I like him and I like his intangibles. But to say he played strictly in a pro-set isn't correct. He played in a 4 and 5 wide set, not a little but a lot.

He did at times go under center as well.

X-Era
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I would rank them this way

1. Locker
2. Bradford
3. Claussen
4. McCoy
5. Tebow

Most of the sites, and scouts do to.

Lockers rawness has me placing him as the #2 under Bradford but all of that assumes Bradford comes back 100% and shows he the same at throwing.

X-Era
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Yuck! This QB draft class sucks goat balls for quarters. I say wait until next year to get a rookie.... Andrew Luck might be available in 2011.

Maybe take a late round flier on LeFavour.

If the Bills can grab a franchise LT and fix the O-line, a pocket passer like Bulger might resurrect his career. Anybody remember how good he was when the Rams had an O-line? This could work if they don't make the same mistake they made with Bledsoe.

Not a big fan of waiting... it takes years usually to develop a youngster into something great... Id rather start now.

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Not a big fan of waiting... it takes years usually to develop a youngster into something great... Id rather start now.

Kid has to be destined to be great, or else your just pissing in the wind. Sometimes waiting is a much better idea.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Kid has to be destined to be great, or else your just pissing in the wind. Sometimes waiting is a much better idea.

You mean like we did by drafting Edwards in the 3rd? It's a crap shoot...you, nor I, have a clue who will turn out to be a quality QB. Saying that it's a given that a player won't make an impact is ignorant (not saying you did, just making a generalization).

Ingtar33
12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
You mean like we did by drafting Edwards in the 3rd? It's a crap shoot...you, nor I, have a clue who will turn out to be a quality QB. Saying that it's a given that a player won't make an impact is ignorant (not saying you did, just making a generalization).

statistically speaking Trent has been hands down the best QB out of that draft.

Sometimes a draft just has disasters at QB. This year looks like 2007 and 2002. the 2002 draft was just epic bad for QBs with David Garrard (round 4) being the only passable starter to come out of the draft (and it took him 4.5 years to get the starting job i might add... i don't know about you but waiting 5 years for an average QB to develop isn't on my list of things to do). 2007 had Kolb and Edwards (Kolb round 2, Edwards round 3) with Edwards putting up the numbers and getting the starts and Kolb showing the promise. But neither is starting 3 years later...

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
statistically speaking Trent has been hands down the best QB out of that draft.

Sometimes a draft just has disasters at QB. This year looks like 2007 and 2002.

IMO...there are a couple QB's in this class who could be very good...Clausen, Bradford and Locker. There isn't a Peyton Manning in the group, but is there a Flacco or Ryan or Sanchez or Stafford? I think there is.

Ingtar33
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
IMO...there are a couple QB's in this class who could be very good...Clausen, Bradford and Locker. There isn't a Peyton Manning in the group, but is there a Flacco or Ryan or Sanchez or Stafford? I think there is.

Bradford might be good. Locker looks like a bust... as does Clausen. either way it's possible all 3 might be gone before we draft.

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Bradford might be good. Locker looks like a bust... as does Clausen. either way it's possible all 3 might be gone before we draft.

Why does Clausen look like a bust? Everytime I saw him, he looked very good....

DraftBoy
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM

I dont think we waited with Edwards, I think we did the opposite and made a horrible pick and thus pissed in the wind.

Raptor
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM

and that was B.Quinn. Clausen and Quinn are nothing alike

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
In my opinion, the Bills need to get a look at Brohm to see what they have before even thinking about drafting a QB. If this organization wants to findout what they have, they need to start him and play him in at least 3 of the last 4 games. What the hell do they have to lose???

Raptor
12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Brady Quinn's biggest question entering the NFL and why he dropped in the draft so much was his accuracy. Just looking at stats, but Quinn's passing % is pretty much the same as Clausen's... except this year when Clausen is a bit higher then Quinn's highest, although like i said, Clausen has a loaded offense.

Again, Quinn and Clausen are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common is they both went to N.D. and they have good arms. Outside of that they are completely different QB's

Their offensive line is very good. It looked like it had cracks when Clausen took over 5-6 seconds to throw the ball. Any defense with time will over come the offensive line. The guy just couldn't find anyone and waited and waited. I've seen it too much. In the NFL, thats a sack. In the NFL, they will make him throw those and those near misses are INTs. I highly doubt, Clausen will ever have the quality of recieving core like he had in Notre Dame... Micheal Floyd, Golden Tate and Randph. And a good running game so the defenses always had to be on an edge....

Did you even watch him? I'm thinking no. Weis himself said Clausen didnt make a single bad read all year and Clausen rarely if ever held onto the ball in a pocket for 5 to 6 secs. I really have no idea where you got that from. He created more time for himself with pocket awareness that however does not constitute great line play and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that says N.D. had anywhere near great line play

Raptor
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
So, I like him and I like his intangibles. But to say he played strictly in a pro-set isn't correct. He played in a 4 and 5 wide set, not a little but a lot.

He did at times go under center as well.

Take a look around the NFL, more teams run 4 and 5 WR sets than ever before.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM

And Quinn was a much better college QB than Claussen too.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
In my opinion, the Bills need to get a look at Brohm to see what they have before even thinking about drafting a QB. If this organization wants to findout what they have, they need to start him and play him in at least 3 of the last 4 games. What the hell do they have to lose???
As a backup I'd entertain the idea, but even if Brohm played lights out, you don't pass on Clausen or Locker. I'm not very high on Bradford, although he is likely my 3rd option behind the first two QBs I listed. (Not listing Mallett because it's not certain that he declares.)

TacklingDummy
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Im all for drafting Clausen or whoever at QB with the first pick. They have to take a chance and hope whoever they pick does not turn out to be a bust. The Bills can not go into next season with Edwards or Fitz as the #1 guy. We need something to look forward to.

We can't say wait till next year (2011) before 2010 has even started. And that's what we will be saying with Edwards or Fitz as the #1 guy.

Let Brohm play the last games of the season. It can't get any worse.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Take a look around the NFL, more teams run 4 and 5 WR sets than ever before.

OK, define your claim the he runs a pro-system, whats a pro-system?

yordad
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
statistically speaking Trent has been hands down the best QB out of that draft.Would you trade him for Kolb?

Dicknoze69
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Would you trade him for Kolb?

Yes. Trent needs a change of scenery badly and won't amount to anything here. Kolb has flashed potential and clearly won't see much time behind McNabb. However, the Eagles would never do it.

yordad
12-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Yes. Trent needs a change of scenery badly and won't amount to anything here. Kolb has flashed potential and clearly won't see much time behind McNabb. However, the Eagles would never do it.Of course you would. It was borderline rhetorical. I asked it because Ing started by saying Trent was the best statistically, and we found him in the third, as if to imply he is better then Kolb (although I am sure that he didn't mean that). I would take Kolb all day right now, and give him a year or so. He flashed way more potential, and I see why he was drafted earlier. His numbers are lower because he is behind a probowl QB, and Trent isn't/wasn't.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Would you trade him for Kolb?

In a friggin heart beat.

ParanoidAndroid
12-08-2009, 03:38 PM

I think that is setting him up to fail.

ParanoidAndroid
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM

I agree that waiting is not ideal. The thing is, the Bills need a sure thing, not another project. Bring in a vet to start and grab a better prospect in a better QB draft class in 2011.

TheBrownBear
12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
To me, Locker is the only guy that makes sense for Buffalo. He's got a strong arm that can handle the wind, and he's probably the most mobile guy in the draft; which we need since he'll be running for his life behind this o-line for a couple of seasons.

Raptor
12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
OK, define your claim the he runs a pro-system, whats a pro-system?

He had a coach teaching him the same offense that put 3 Super Bowl rings on that coaches hand. That system has been copied around the league.

djjimkelly
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
i was listening to sirius radio today and i do trust pat kirwans opinion.

he did say all qb prospects in this years draft are late 1st early 2nd prospects.

the bills are up ****s creek with respect to qb.

i pray brian brohm is our man

Block "O"
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Teb-ho is the only sure thing and we should trade up to get him. :nod:

X-Era
12-09-2009, 05:48 AM
He had a coach teaching him the same offense that put 3 Super Bowl rings on that coaches hand. That system has been copied around the league.

Thats not really an answer.

What do you call a pro-system? And does Clausen run it or not?

X-Era
12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I agree that waiting is not ideal. The thing is, the Bills need a sure thing, not another project. Bring in a vet to start and grab a better prospect in a better QB draft class in 2011.

So, your saying we should move up to the #1 overall spot next year? as many as 3 QB's are going in the early to mid round 1 range, so a better prospect means the #1 overall pick most likely.

Raptor
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Thats not really an answer.

What do you call a pro-system? And does Clausen run it or not?

Yes it is, I'm not going to write out what a pro system is when its a complete non debate. He is running a pro system that was used in the NFL and is still being used in the NFL.