Would anyone like to see a 3-4 Defense next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFanCupp38
    • Mar 2004

Would anyone like to see a 3-4 Defense next year?

I have been wanting it for years and I was wondering what other people thought. I think we have the personel minus a D-end.

RDE: Spencer Johnson
    DT: Marcus Stroud
    LDE: Free agent/ Draft pick
    ROLB: Schobel
    ILB: Kawika Mitchell
    ILB: Poz
    LOLB: Maybin

Secondary is set.... Let me know what you think...
    Jeremy Cupp
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

Re: Would anyone like to see a 3-4 Defense next year?

I would love a 3-4. It is for sure my favorite defense, and many elite teams run it. However, I will disagree about the Bills having the right personell for the scheme. I dont see Stroud excelling in this scheme, nor do I see him commanding any double teams like Wilfork or Jenkins do.

I would love for the Bills to go after Richard Seymour in free agency, and possibly draft a DT in the first. I doubt Suh is there, but maybe if we pick within the top 6 we can get lucky. We would need an extra LB and 2 DE's to run this scheme IMO. However, we need our coach first.

Comment

I think Gabe Watson has been playing NT at Arizona and is a FA - might be an interesting pick up.

There are plenty of 3-4 DE available in R2 likely to include Cameron Hayward, Vince Oghoobaase, Jared Odrick, Mike Neal, Allen Bailey and Arthur Jones.

We can also look at OLB like Shawn Merriman and Chris Gocong

Comment

I think Gabe Watson has been playing NT at Arizona and is a FA - might be an interesting pick up.

There are plenty of 3-4 DE available in R2 likely to include Cameron Hayward, Vince Oghoobaase, Jared Odrick, Mike Neal, Allen Bailey and Arthur Jones.

We can also look at OLB like Shawn Merriman and Chris Gocong

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
          We play to win the game!
          • Oct 2009

The GB Packers sure transitioned quickly. Many doubted them due to personnel.

Comment

• Prov401
            President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
            The GB Packers sure transitioned quickly. Many doubted them due to personnel.
            They struggled a bit early on, but I think it was more of an adjustment to the scheme rather than not having the personell.

A.J Hawk, Clay Matthews, Nick Barnett, Ryan Pickett, and Johnny Jolly are all very very good players. Buffalo doesnt have that.

Comment

• realdealryan
              realdealrex
              • Nov 2005

The Vikings have had enough success this year without it. Personnel. If you have a dominating NT (we don't), then run it.

But the Broncos unleashed Dumervil with it. I dunno.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Feb 2009

Well I'll tell ya what, Green Bay is running the 3-4 and Clay Matthews, rookie, drafted way after Maybin, has 7 sacks.

Comment

• methos4ever
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                  Well I'll tell ya what, Green Bay is running the 3-4 and Clay Matthews, rookie, drafted way after Maybin, has 7 sacks.
                  I think the difference with Clay is that he played in a 3-4 this year at SC at linebacker, so it wasn't that much of a transition for him. Especially given his history from walk on to full scholarship to 1st rounder. That dude is special.

But like someone said, we don't necessarily need the 3-4 to be the silver bullet to our defensive ills. Heck, if we took a page out of the Cards book with the right personnel using a 3-4 change-up could only help. But I don't think we should look at the 3-4 as the thing that will save the defense, because our roster isn't really built for it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I've always been of the opinion that good players are far more important than systems. We need better players to play either the 4-3 or the 3-4 well.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I hate the c2 but the reality is that we're not even close personnel wise. At a minimum, we'd need a true NT, 1-2 de's (Spencer johnson might suffice as a 3-4 de), 2 lb's, a better man-to-man cb to replace McGee and depth at every position.

I'm not opposed to switching but let's not fool ourselves. We are 2-3 off-seasons away from having a legit 3-4 d.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

We ran some 3-4 a couple weeks back, and we looked better then we had in years defensively.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                          We ran some 3-4 a couple weeks back, and we looked better then we had in years defensively.
                          That wasn't a true 3-4. It was more like a 3-1-3 with Schobel playing a sort of roving LB role. Interesting and effective, but not a 3-4.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Why is the 3-4 everyone's favorite defense? is it just because we dont run it (ie. the grass is greener..), or just because it is generally a more attacking-style defense instead of our passive style? I personally have been fairly happy with our D this year, once again the D hasnt even come close to being our biggest issue. if we had a even remotely effective offense, our D would look even better because of the rest, and I feel we would have a winning record. our D is the only thing saving us from being winless.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Stroud, Johnson, and Williams are solid players. I loved how everyone said that if we strengthened the DTs our DEs would play better. Well, that was a fallacy.

Bottom line is that the cover 2 doesn't work because our pass rushers don't get to the QB...ever and our LBs aren't that fast.

Jared Allen was getting double and triple teamed Sunday night. Schobel is never double teamed and he's our best pass rusher.

Comment

Working...
                              X