PDA

View Full Version : Let's be realistic and put up some real names for HC!!

HHURRICANE
12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I started thinking about this and the bottom line is that Shanahan is going to Washington. Snyder and Shanahan have mutual respect for eachother and it would be a very stable job for him.

Cowher has said numerous times that he would like to coach near his family and his link to the Carolina job has been reported numerous times.

Neither one of these coaches is going to work in an environment where the owner is 91 and they have to worry about the long term vaibility of the team remaing in Buffalo.

I think the offer of ownership was used to placate the moving controversy but in the end it's a messy situation.

So who does that realistically leave us with? I hate Martz but he has to be a canidate and the FO could easily sell the fan base on his Superbowl credentials.

My point is who is the leading canidate and why. I like Grimm but who's making the personnel decisions? Thoughts?

bigbub2352
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I have to say i have no idea what is gonna happen with this situation we find ourselves in
It sounds like we are going after HC that will be GM as well 1st, then once those dont want to come here or whatever
We will begin Secondary search for GM to hire a HC
I feel personally this is the route it will take and we will hire a name GM and then hire a hot assistant HC such as Grimm, but i got a weird bad feeling we are looking at Charlie Weis, we intereiwed him before for the HC job i feel this will be a mistake, hence why i think Weis is the darkhorse

That being sad we need change from top to bottom and a QB taken in the 1st or 2nd round by whoever takes over and we need to start the rebuilding process that we should have started at the end of last season not prolong this horrible staff and roster under the Skeletor Regime
elch!!

tampabay25690
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Haslett

Mahdi
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Other candidates....

Russ Grimm

Jim Fassell

Jim Haslett

John Fox

Dom Capers

Cam Cameron

Jason Garrett

mayotm
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I started thinking about this and the bottom line is that Shanahan is going to Washington. Snyder and Shanahan have mutual respect for eachother and it would be a very stable job for him.

Cowher has said numerous times that he would like to coach near his family and his link to the Carolina job has been reported numerous times.

Neither one of these coaches is going to work in an environment where the owner is 91 and they have to worry about the long term vaibility of the team remaing in Buffalo.

I think the offer of ownership was used to placate the moving controversy but in the end it's a messy situation.

So who does that realistically leave us with? I hate Martz but he has to be a canidate and the FO could easily sell the fan base on his Superbowl credentials.

My point is who is the leading canidate and why. I like Grimm but who's making the personnel decisions? Thoughts?What does your "inside source" have to say on the topic?

TacklingDummy
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
My inside source has told me that once all the big names sign somewhere else that the Bills will settle for Mike Martz.

T-Long
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I would narrow it down to these names if Shanny doesn't come:

1. Leslie Frazier
2. Brian Billick
3. Jim Fassel
4. Mike Martz
5. Russ Grimm

If we decide to go with a coordinator with the recent history of success with John Harbaugh, Josh McDaniels, and Mike Smith, here are a few to keep an eye on.

1. Todd Bowles Assistant HC Dolphins
2. Brian Schottenheimer OC Jets
3. Hue Jackson QB coach Ravens
4. Pat Shurmur QB coach Eagles

Pinkerton Security
12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I would narrow it down to these names if Shanny doesn't come:

1. Leslie Frazier
2. Brian Billick
3. Jim Fassel
4. Mike Martz

If we decide to go with a coordinator with the recent history of success with John Harbaugh, Josh McDaniels, and Mike Smith, here are a few to keep an eye on.

1. Todd Bowles Assistant HC Dolphins
2. Brian Schottenheimer OC Jets
3. Hue Jackson QB coach Ravens
4. Pat Shurmur QB coach Eagles

I would be happy with Billick. Any of those coordinators would make me literally vomit.

DraftBoy
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Harbaugh

BuffaloBlakely14
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Russ Grimm

bigbub2352
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Harbaugh
Very interesting choice DB, i was thinking somethign similiar he did real well at Stanford, and has a nice prospect in Luck there, wouldnt mind his smash mouth RB on this roster either next yr
see we can agree once in awhile it is the holidays LOL!

JJamezz
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I think it will end up being Billick. He's the only one who toes the line between (quasi) big name coach and someone who is realistic.

He's a big enough name to satisfy the fanbase while they remind us of just how hard they tried to bring in Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden.. Soon afterward they can begin the Brohm hype-machine (which is why he won't see the field this season).

I'm not a big Billick fan, but I'm much more concerned with the other front office moves.. I'd much rather the Bills pull out all the stops and get the right talent evaluators & decision makers in here, and trust them with the HC choice, etc..

patmoran2006
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
My inside source has told me that once all the big names sign somewhere else that the Bills will settle for Mike Martz.
While I know your joking; don't be shocked if that happens for real.

patmoran2006
12-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Unless the bills land a big time coach that would serve as his own GM, or at least personnel decision maker (Cowher, Shanahan)-- and that's very unlikely to happen.

Expect Buffalo to hire a GM first, who will then target a head coach.

bigbub2352
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Unless the bills land a big time coach that would serve as his own GM, or at least personnel decision maker (Cowher, Shanahan)-- and that's very unlikely to happen.

exactly what i wrote in this thread nice post

trapezeus
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
i'm fine with the new GM who knows what he is doing and brings in scouts that are better than what we have.

If the bills end up with Mike MArtz, the guy who supposedly taught Steve Fairchild all he knows, fairchild being the guy who taugh Turk and turk who begat AVP, i will positively kill myself. we don't need anymore "look how smart i am by going against the grain coaches. and we don't need anymore, "i run this game as though its a practice coaches." Get us a competent person.

i'm high on Leslie Frazier. he has an impressive resume of success at all levels. give him the players, he'll get you a defense.

Demon
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Exactly. Which is why i don't understand why some people and reporters keep talking about stupid speculation such as Martz, Weis or any other low ball coach to Buffalo. The Bills are obviously after a big name coach, someone like Cowher or Shanahan. Either of those 2, will want their own people around them so it makes sense why we target them first. Once they all reject us, then we'll settle and get a new GM, who will fix the entire front office and hire new scouts and what not and get rid of idiots like Modrak and Guy. Then he will hire a head coach.

There is NO speculation who the next coach will be because the guy who hires that coach is still very unknown.

I really think Bills hire either Russ Grimm or John Fox though.

TheBrownBear
12-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Mike Riley
Charlie Weis
Romeo Crennell
Mike Martz
Haslett
Marc Trestman
Mike Nolan

Trust me, it might not be one of these guys, but it will be a bum of their caliber.

HHURRICANE
12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Mike Riley
Charlie Weis
Romeo Crennell
Mike Martz
Haslett
Marc Trestman
Mike Nolan

Trust me, it might not be one of these guys, but it will be a bum of their caliber.

This is what scares me.

YardRat
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't even bother wasting breath on an upper-echelon HC coming here...IMO it isn't happening.

Somebody like Grimm or Weis are more likely.

Lexwhat
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Regardless of who our Head Coach is, the Bills are not going ANYWHERE with ass-clowns like John Guy, Modrak, Overdorf, and Russ Brandon running the show.

After my initial excitement for Mike Shanahan died down, I came to remember that his talent evaluations and salary management have been spotty at best. I am NOT comfortable with him being in a dual Head Coach / GM role. The guy is one hell of a Head Coach though.

Hire an up-and-coming GM first (along with highly regarded scouts), and then hire a Coach like Frazier or Grimm, and this team will likely be on its way to the Playoffs.

Don't Panic
12-08-2009, 05:33 PM
College coach - Harbaugh

Coordinator - Grimm

HC - Fox or Billick

Dream - Shanahan

This will probably change considerably by the time we actually hire!

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd have Russ Grimm as my 1st choice with Jim Harbaugh a close second.

I'd hope we'd bring in Eric deCosta as GM.

Of interest would be the coordinators. With Grimm could we poach Keith Butler from the Steelers to run the defence?

Dying_-2-_Live
12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Id take Russ Grimm before I take Weis or someone of that sort

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM

My point is who is the leading canidate and why. I like Grimm but who's making the personnel decisions? Thoughts?

No interest in thinking this way. Its more of the same, plain and simple.

And for all the reasons that we have previously stated, I don't see that any job is so much more better than this one.

Demon
12-09-2009, 01:00 AM
BTW, here's a good article on possible coordinators who will be looked at for coaching openings this winter..... http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/07/assistants-will-draw-interest-for-head-coaching-jo

Block "O"
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Urban 'next vince lombardi' Meyer

Prov401
12-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm not saying I'd want him but, Mike Zimmer of the Bengals is getting a bit of recognition.

Demon
12-09-2009, 01:21 AM
^^ if we go the O.C. route, Mike Zimmer would be one of my top choices. Zimmer and Grimm. Only knock on Zimmer what i would have, is our last two coaches being Jauron and Williams, it may be time to get a offensive minded coach in here. Last one we had was Mularkey and looking back on it, he wasn't all that bad. Obviously just because we bring a D.C. in here doesn't mean the offense won't be any good but guys like Brian Billick and John Fox had great success as D.C. yet their offenses never seemed to get anything going.

Prov401
12-09-2009, 01:30 AM
^^ if we go the O.C. route, Mike Zimmer would be one of my top choices. Zimmer and Grimm. Only knock on Zimmer what i would have, is our last two coaches being Jauron and Williams, it may be time to get a offensive minded coach in here. Last one we had was Mularkey and looking back on it, he wasn't all that bad. Obviously just because we bring a D.C. in here doesn't mean the offense won't be any good but guys like Brian Billick and John Fox had great success as D.C. yet their offenses never seemed to get anything going.

I think Shanahan and Cowher are becoming pipe dreams. I'd love to have either but, I began to realize about 2 weeks ago that it is probably not going to happen. I'd be cool with Frazier, Fox, Grimm, or Zimmer. In no particular order.

Demon
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I think Shanahan and Cowher are becoming pipe dreams. I'd love to have either but, I began to realize about 2 weeks ago that it is probably not going to happen. I'd be cool with Frazier, Fox, Grimm, or Zimmer. In no particular order.

LOL yeah, it took me a bit longer, but like a week or so ago i started to realize the reality of the situation and that getting Shanahan or Cowher was just not going to happen. Our #1 thing will be to get a new GM and he can clean house and fix the front office. Hopefully they get a GM before christmas and soon after January 3rd we can name a new coach. Out of that list, i don't really like Frazier though. Just seems to have all the talent and his defense never is "great" although it should be. And he seems like a calm guy. Like a Jauron type of coach, but maybe i'm wrong.

Prov401
12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
LOL yeah, it took me a bit longer, but like a week or so ago i started to realize the reality of the situation and that getting Shanahan or Cowher was just not going to happen. Our #1 thing will be to get a new GM and he can clean house and fix the front office. Hopefully they get a GM before christmas and soon after January 3rd we can name a new coach. Out of that list, i don't really like Frazier though. Just seems to have all the talent and his defense never is "great" although it should be. And he seems like a calm guy. Like a Jauron type of coach, but maybe i'm wrong.

Yea, honestly I don't know much about Frazier. I just hear many people relating Frazier to the likes of Dungy, as far as character goes. I myself prefer a more firey type of coach as well. I can't believe the Bills are offering the likes of Cowher and Shanahan 10-12 mil a year, and a stake in the franchise, and still no bite.

Buddo
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Going back a little while, there was a very good article regarding the Bills FO, written by Michael Lombardi. In it he basically described a decent formula for success for the Bills, in part focussing on what 'type' of team they needed to be, to actually play successfully in Buffalo.
While ultimately, the NFL is a 'passing' league, in some places, you will not succeed unless you have a good enough ground game. Buffalo is definitely one of those places. You also need to be able to stop other teams ground games also.
While I'm not especially 'down' on the 'cover two' defence, (like most schemes, it will work when executed properly, with the right personnel), it does strike me that the 3/4 is generally speaking, a better 'fit' for the types of conditions the Bills can find themselves playing in.
This is pretty much the sort of thing that Lombardi was implying, and I'd be curious to know whether there is any potential for a GM there, as I know he has worked in FOs before.

TheBrownBear
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see the Bills take a chance on a guy like Harbaugh, but it will never happen. I think Harbaugh is going to be a winner wherever he ends up.

Ed
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this guy before, or if he's been discussed at all, but I was thinking Herm Edwards as a possibility. Just for the record, I do not want Edwards to be the coach, but he seems to fit into that category of a guy with experience who could realistically want to come here. He's at least had some playoff teams and he seems to be well respected around the league...Just throwing it out there. What would you guys think of Edwards as the next HC?

Prov401
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this guy before, or if he's been discussed at all, but I was thinking Herm Edwards as a possibility. Just for the record, I do not want Edwards to be the coach, but he seems to fit into that category of a guy with experience who could realistically want to come here. He's at least had some playoff teams and he seems to be well respected around the league...Just throwing it out there. What would you guys think of Edwards as the next HC?

Absolutley not. I wouldn't mind him as DC, or specifically DB coach, but he just isn't cut out to be a great HC. I have the feeling your going to get many hell no responses to this...

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Going back a little while, there was a very good article regarding the Bills FO, written by Michael Lombardi. In it he basically described a decent formula for success for the Bills, in part focussing on what 'type' of team they needed to be, to actually play successfully in Buffalo.
While ultimately, the NFL is a 'passing' league, in some places, you will not succeed unless you have a good enough ground game. Buffalo is definitely one of those places. You also need to be able to stop other teams ground games also.
While I'm not especially 'down' on the 'cover two' defence, (like most schemes, it will work when executed properly, with the right personnel), it does strike me that the 3/4 is generally speaking, a better 'fit' for the types of conditions the Bills can find themselves playing in.
This is pretty much the sort of thing that Lombardi was implying, and I'd be curious to know whether there is any potential for a GM there, as I know he has worked in FOs before.

"He has not been given enough credit for the job he did in Pittsburgh and in Arizona coordinating the run game. He is an unsung hero. He's similar to Andy Reid. He's not flashy — he's just a simple, blue-collar worker who grabs his lunchbox every day and gets the job done."

Comments made about Russ Grimm

Dying_-2-_Live
12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
:attn: BILL COWHER OR RUSS GRIMM :attn:

get it done :bad:

TacklingDummy
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
While I know your joking; don't be shocked if that happens for real.
No joke, my source told me Martz.

Demon
12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
No joke, my source told me Martz.

Does your source know the next GM? Because if he doesn't, then your source doesn't know ****.

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
i want to puke just at the thought of the bills not getting a big name coach

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Mike Shanahan HC

John Gruden OC

Bill Cowher DC

Scott Norwood ST

eee1776
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
The Bills know that they are going to have to do something major to sell season tickets again. If they hae a brain in there head they have to know that Bills fans are at the end of their roap in monatarily supporting Ralph. If Russ know anything it is how to sell tickets.
With that said a big time coach or gm will have to be had along with a a Vick like signing.
Russ Grimm
Brian Billiak
Marty Ball

RockStar36
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Assuming we don't get a big name coach, which I'm starting to doubt anyways, Russ Grimm would be my first choice.

BUT, the only way I'd be happy with this, is if the entire front office was ripped apart and re-built. Grimm could probably win with the right people upstairs, but I doubt anybody could win with the people currently up there.

I suppose other coordinators would be Frazier and Zimmer.

I'm still holding out hopes for a big name, but building the FO should be the first priority.

soapman
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Dying_-2-_Live
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Mike Shanahan HC

John Gruden OC

Bill Cowher DC

Scott Norwood ST

ESPN would crap themselves haha
nobody thinks we will get one of them... let alone all 3

MikeNC
12-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Come on guys...we all know deep down who our next HC is going to be, we just don't want to admit it...It will be Perry, after the 10mil figure was thrown around, Ralph came to his senses and knows he will probably not get a big name guy in here. He could keep Perry for .25 cents on the dollar compared to a big name guy..Ralph and the FO have no one to blame but themselves for the lack of ability to attract a big name, they have shown no committment to put a quality team on the field, and who in their right mind would want to coach under those conditions.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Wish: Bill Cowher
Realistic Prediction: Russ Grimm
Dark Horse: Tony Dungy