PDA

View Full Version : An idea for 2011: Blaine Gabbert?

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
He'll be a junior next year so may come out, but by all accounts has had a good season for Missouri as a sophmore.

He's certainly got the size at 6ft5 and 240lbs, plus very good mobility for a big QB with a 40time of under 4.7 and by all accounts decent arm strength.

If we can take an elite LT this year - Okung, Campbell, Bulaga - and have a caretaker QB signed for a couple of seasons, Gabbert might look good in a Bills uniform

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
He'll be a junior next year so may come out, but by all accounts has had a good season for Missouri as a sophmore.

He's certainly got the size at 6ft5 and 240lbs, plus very good mobility for a big QB with a 40time of under 4.7 and by all accounts decent arm strength.

If we can take an elite LT this year - Okung, Campbell, Bulaga - and have a caretaker QB signed for a couple of seasons, Gabbert might look good in a Bills uniform

Does the term "hell bent" mean anything to you at this point?

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Does the term "hell bent" mean anything to you at this point?

No?

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
No?
OK "fixated"?

Your version is just one that may work.

I see no reason that drafting a QB 1st and foremost, and a LT second cant also work. Guys like Capers, for example, aren't that far off from Campbell.

Nothing personal, but every year there are people who are stuck on a certain player or even position and are hell bent on that first. IMO, the draft should be more fluid and less restricted than that. I cant go as far as DB might and say that we should look at the BPA. But I do think that we shouldn't be locked into any one position with any of our picks.

I want BPA that fits a need. To me thats the top ranked player, regardless of position, at any of the following spots: QB, LT, LB, DT, and DE. But even then if a player is much higher ranked at another position, I think we should consider it.

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Everything I have read about Capers suggest he is miles away from the Top3 of Campbell, Bulaga and Okung. He is a huge project

If we could pull an Atlanta and move back into the first round hoping that one of the Top3 tackles slid then fine, but none of the QBs really convince as a low risk prospect, and I'd rather be cautious and build in the trenches than the other way around.

We've all seen the importance that a top LT plays in the development of a QB

kernowboy
12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Of all the QBs I think that Bradford is the best prospect and if we could pull off the steal of the century, I would love to see the draft in such a way that we trade down with the 49ers get Campbell and then Bradford quickly after.

I would not risk drafting Bradford without a top LT though.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Everything I have read about Capers suggest he is miles away from the Top3 of Campbell, Bulaga and Okung. He is a huge project

If we could pull an Atlanta and move back into the first round hoping that one of the Top3 tackles slid then fine, but none of the QBs really convince as a low risk prospect, and I'd rather be cautious and build in the trenches than the other way around.

We've all seen the importance that a top LT plays in the development of a QB

Have we? Whats happened here under a pro-bowl LT like Peters?

I agree a franchise LT would be great. So would a franchise QB.

Outside of Okung, Im not sure there anyone who looks to be a sure-fire franchise LT; and outside of Bradford, Im not sure there's a sure fire franchise QB... and even he needs to show hes back to where he was and plenty durable.

Dicknoze69
12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Relying on a 2011 draft pick is a highly dangerous proposition. There's so many variables for your suggestion to work out. Yeah, it's an option down the road, but we'd need a lot of things to fall into place.

I do agree that falling in love with a draft pick is a bad idea as well. We have entirely too many holes to focus solely on one. With that being said, we most certainly have neglected the offensive/defensive line in the vast majority of our recent drafts and I'd suggest re-committing ourselves to the battle in the trenches.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Relying on a 2011 draft pick is a highly dangerous proposition. There's so many variables for your suggestion to work out. Yeah, it's an option down the road, but we'd need a lot of things to fall into place.

I do agree that falling in love with a draft pick is a bad idea as well. We have entirely too many holes to focus solely on one. With that being said, we most certainly have neglected the offensive/defensive line in the vast majority of our recent drafts and I'd suggest re-committing ourselves to the battle in the trenches.

You cant lose by having strong lines.

But you also seriously help your chances with a franchise QB.

I think we need too many great prospects without enough draft picks.

mayotm
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Really? 2011? Christ.

Stewie
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I dunno whats worse, trying to predict what will happen in next aprils draft, trying to predict 2011, or cllicking on the thread to read a prediction on a message board about a football draft in 16 months

DrGraves
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
If bradford, mccoy, claussen, locker, tebow are on the table you take one and start moving forward.

I mean sure they will get pummeled due to our ****ty offensive line but you gotta start somewhere..

X-Era
12-09-2009, 06:06 AM
If bradford, mccoy, claussen, locker, tebow are on the table you take one and start moving forward.

I mean sure they will get pummeled due to our ****ty offensive line but you gotta start somewhere..

a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round LT cant protect our QB's blindside?

A few lesser names that I like are Zane Beadles, and Lee Ziemba, also Zipp Duncan.

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 06:20 AM

A few lesser names that I like are Zane Beadles, and Lee Ziemba, also Zipp Duncan.

I'd rather not risk it. After all the likes of Ugoh were taken in R2 and look what happened there. I would rather my $40m investment be protected by a little more certainly.

Or another way, would you rather have Ryan Clady at LT or John Greco?

As for Okung, several pundits think he might be overtaken by Campbell before the draft.

X-Era
12-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I'd rather not risk it. After all the likes of Ugoh were taken in R2 and look what happened there. I would rather my $40m investment be protected by a little more certainly.

Or another way, would you rather have Ryan Clady at LT or John Greco?

As for Okung, several pundits think he might be overtaken by Campbell before the draft.

Would you rather have Matt Ryan or Troy Smith?

Would you rather have Richard Seymour or Chris Ellis?

Same can be said for any position I think.

Rather than argue this for the next several months, I can just respond to your thoughts on the OT's you like. Afterall, its not like I don't like them too.

:up:

Jan Reimers
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM

You're just partial to Z names, X.

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I would personally love a scenario where we were able to do a trade with SF who might think to move up for Eric Berry if he fell. Trading our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the 49ers for their 1st, Carolina's 1st and a 6th, might put us in a position to draft both Campbell and Bradford. Trading Lynch for a 3rd rounder (Seattle?) would give us our chance to grab a DL who might fall like Arthur Jones and I think a buddy for Fred-x could be found on Day3 like James Starks, Joique Bell etc.

A first round which fell like
1. TB - Suh DT
2. Cle - Bryant WR (has Quinn stepped up?)
3. Stl - Clausen QB
4. Det - McCoy DT
5. KC - Okung LT
6. 49ers - trade to 49ers - Berry S
7. Was - Locker QB
8. Oak - Mallett QB
9. BUFFALO - CAMPBELL LT
10. Den (From Chicago) - McClain ILB
11. Sea - Haden CB
12. NYJ - Warren CB
13. BUFFALO - BRADFORD QB

If Cleveland stick with Quinn and go WR, it opens up the draft. The 49ers who need a RT, might be happy to consider someone like Trent Williams on Day 2 if they can overall their secondary. Seattle have a need for both a OT and a CB before they replace Hasselback and might consider filling LT with Charles Brown with their second R1 pick.

Pure fantasy, but Buffalo fans might not stop smiling for 3 months.

alohabillsfan
12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I would personally love a scenario where we were able to do a trade with SF who might think to move up for Eric Berry if he fell. Trading our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the 49ers for their 1st, Carolina's 1st and a 6th, might put us in a position to draft both Campbell and Bradford. Trading Lynch for a 3rd rounder (Seattle?) would give us our chance to grab a DL who might fall like Arthur Jones and I think a buddy for Fred-x could be found on Day3 like James Starks, Joique Bell etc.

A first round which fell like
1. TB - Suh DT
2. Cle - Bryant WR (has Quinn stepped up?)
3. Stl - Clausen QB
4. Det - McCoy DT
5. KC - Okung LT
6. 49ers - trade to 49ers - Berry S
7. Was - Locker QB
8. Oak - Mallett QB
9. BUFFALO - CAMPBELL LT
10. Den (From Chicago) - McClain ILB
11. Sea - Haden CB
12. NYJ - Warren CB
13. BUFFALO - BRADFORD QB

If Cleveland stick with Quinn and go WR, it opens up the draft. The 49ers who need a RT, might be happy to consider someone like Trent Williams on Day 2 if they can overall their secondary. Seattle have a need for both a OT and a CB before they replace Hasselback and might consider filling LT with Charles Brown with their second R1 pick.

Pure fantasy, but Buffalo fans might not stop smiling for 3 months.

:brilliant: ROFL

ddaryl
12-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we need too many great prospects without enough draft picks.

we're gonna need even more because I guarentee this team is going to see a partial tear down starting this offseason.

No way a new HC / GM comes in here and doesn't do some significant tinkering with our roster outside of the blatanly obvious

I am in the boat that unless a can't miss prospect falls to us in the draft then we should be wheeling a dealing this offseason and trading back for as many picks as we can get

DraftBoy
12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Gabbert got owned by Nebraska's D when he played them, and that was supposed to be his coming out party.

In his biggest games of the year this is how he faired:
Nebraska-17-43, 39.5%, 134 yards, 2 INT
Oklahoma State-22-44, 50.0%, 325 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
Texas-8-16, 50.0%, 84 yards, 1 TD

So in his toughest matchups he was overall;
47-103, 45.6%, 543 yards, 2 TD, and 5 INT

He is only a sophmore but he has a long ways to go so far. His decision making and accuracy need a lot of work.

baalworship
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Does this mean that we need to wait till 2012, 2013 to make the playoffs? I see your posts about not taking a QB and while I agree we shouldn't force the issue if there really is a QB that could be really good I would absolutely hate waiting another year.

While Fitz is better than Edwards I don't know how excited I can get for next year if he is starting for us.

trapezeus
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Does this mean that we need to wait till 2012, 2013 to make the playoffs? I see your posts about not taking a QB and while I agree we shouldn't force the issue if there really is a QB that could be really good I would absolutely hate waiting another year.

While Fitz is better than Edwards I don't know how excited I can get for next year if he is starting for us.

no, because even in our pathetic disarray of talentless, heartless hacks, this team had a chance to be in the playoff running. Perhaps if they didn't have a coach for the first 9 games who was content to slow bleed games away, they would have won a couple games and been neck and neck.

This pathetic team has competed to get into ties or winning positions into the fourth quarter. that kind of falls on poor coaching. I think this team as is in more capable hands can make the playoffs. It won't do well in the playoffs and most likley will have to play on the road, but they can get into the playoffs. Anyone can get into the playoffs.

If we are talking about a legitimate team with a real chance of doing something, we are looking at at least 2 more years to get more pieces to fortify this team.

Bigbub has been the biggest proponent of roster mismanagemnet, but that really has killed us for most of the last 3.5 years. Keeping ST's and hard workers, but passing on talent and foresaking areas taht typically get hurt.

wozrob11
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
i also hear there will be some good qb coming out in the year 2035 we should wait till then and draft them or...... draft a qb this year !!!!!!!matt ryan and joe flacco a rookie qb can bring a team out of the dumps .a good o-line or a crappy o-lineit makes no difference we need a winner and a spark with this team. losing is getting real old. if the arizona cardinals can make it the superbowl and almost win the bills can sure as hell win one