An idea for 2011: Blaine Gabbert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for 2011: Blaine Gabbert?

He'll be a junior next year so may come out, but by all accounts has had a good season for Missouri as a sophmore.

He's certainly got the size at 6ft5 and 240lbs, plus very good mobility for a big QB with a 40time of under 4.7 and by all accounts decent arm strength.

If we can take an elite LT this year - Okung, Campbell, Bulaga - and have a caretaker QB signed for a couple of seasons, Gabbert might look good in a Bills uniform
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: An idea for 2011: Blaine Gabbert?

Originally posted by kernowboy
    He'll be a junior next year so may come out, but by all accounts has had a good season for Missouri as a sophmore.

He's certainly got the size at 6ft5 and 240lbs, plus very good mobility for a big QB with a 40time of under 4.7 and by all accounts decent arm strength.

If we can take an elite LT this year - Okung, Campbell, Bulaga - and have a caretaker QB signed for a couple of seasons, Gabbert might look good in a Bills uniform
    Does the term "hell bent" mean anything to you at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by X-Era
      Does the term "hell bent" mean anything to you at this point?
      No?

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

No?
        OK "fixated"?

Your version is just one that may work.

I see no reason that drafting a QB 1st and foremost, and a LT second cant also work. Guys like Capers, for example, aren't that far off from Campbell.

Nothing personal, but every year there are people who are stuck on a certain player or even position and are hell bent on that first. IMO, the draft should be more fluid and less restricted than that. I cant go as far as DB might and say that we should look at the BPA. But I do think that we shouldn't be locked into any one position with any of our picks.

I want BPA that fits a need. To me thats the top ranked player, regardless of position, at any of the following spots: QB, LT, LB, DT, and DE. But even then if a player is much higher ranked at another position, I think we should consider it.
        Last edited by X-Era; 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Everything I have read about Capers suggest he is miles away from the Top3 of Campbell, Bulaga and Okung. He is a huge project

If we could pull an Atlanta and move back into the first round hoping that one of the Top3 tackles slid then fine, but none of the QBs really convince as a low risk prospect, and I'd rather be cautious and build in the trenches than the other way around.

We've all seen the importance that a top LT plays in the development of a QB

Comment

Of all the QBs I think that Bradford is the best prospect and if we could pull off the steal of the century, I would love to see the draft in such a way that we trade down with the 49ers get Campbell and then Bradford quickly after.

I would not risk drafting Bradford without a top LT though.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Everything I have read about Capers suggest he is miles away from the Top3 of Campbell, Bulaga and Okung. He is a huge project

If we could pull an Atlanta and move back into the first round hoping that one of the Top3 tackles slid then fine, but none of the QBs really convince as a low risk prospect, and I'd rather be cautious and build in the trenches than the other way around.

We've all seen the importance that a top LT plays in the development of a QB
              Have we? Whats happened here under a pro-bowl LT like Peters?

I agree a franchise LT would be great. So would a franchise QB.

Outside of Okung, Im not sure there anyone who looks to be a sure-fire franchise LT; and outside of Bradford, Im not sure there's a sure fire franchise QB... and even he needs to show hes back to where he was and plenty durable.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                • Jul 2002

Relying on a 2011 draft pick is a highly dangerous proposition. There's so many variables for your suggestion to work out. Yeah, it's an option down the road, but we'd need a lot of things to fall into place.

I do agree that falling in love with a draft pick is a bad idea as well. We have entirely too many holes to focus solely on one. With that being said, we most certainly have neglected the offensive/defensive line in the vast majority of our recent drafts and I'd suggest re-committing ourselves to the battle in the trenches.

God give me style and give me grace
                God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                  Relying on a 2011 draft pick is a highly dangerous proposition. There's so many variables for your suggestion to work out. Yeah, it's an option down the road, but we'd need a lot of things to fall into place.

I do agree that falling in love with a draft pick is a bad idea as well. We have entirely too many holes to focus solely on one. With that being said, we most certainly have neglected the offensive/defensive line in the vast majority of our recent drafts and I'd suggest re-committing ourselves to the battle in the trenches.
                  You cant lose by having strong lines.

But you also seriously help your chances with a franchise QB.

I think we need too many great prospects without enough draft picks.

Comment

• mayotm
                    • Jul 2003

Really? 2011? Christ.

Comment

• Stewie
                      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                      • Aug 2002

I dunno whats worse, trying to predict what will happen in next aprils draft, trying to predict 2011, or cllicking on the thread to read a prediction on a message board about a football draft in 16 months
                      Originally posted by Topdog
                      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      I love Weiner.
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      also cheese

Comment

• DrGraves
                        • Mar 2008

If bradford, mccoy, claussen, locker, tebow are on the table you take one and start moving forward.

I mean sure they will get pummeled due to our ****ty offensive line but you gotta start somewhere..

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DrGraves
                          If bradford, mccoy, claussen, locker, tebow are on the table you take one and start moving forward.

I mean sure they will get pummeled due to our ****ty offensive line but you gotta start somewhere..
                          a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round LT cant protect our QB's blindside?

A few lesser names that I like are Zane Beadles, and Lee Ziemba, also Zipp Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Era
                            a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round LT cant protect our QB's blindside?

A few lesser names that I like are Zane Beadles, and Lee Ziemba, also Zipp Duncan.
                            I'd rather not risk it. After all the likes of Ugoh were taken in R2 and look what happened there. I would rather my $40m investment be protected by a little more certainly.

Or another way, would you rather have Ryan Clady at LT or John Greco?

As for Okung, several pundits think he might be overtaken by Campbell before the draft.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

I'd rather not risk it. After all the likes of Ugoh were taken in R2 and look what happened there. I would rather my $40m investment be protected by a little more certainly.

Or another way, would you rather have Ryan Clady at LT or John Greco?

As for Okung, several pundits think he might be overtaken by Campbell before the draft.
                              Would you rather have Matt Ryan or Troy Smith?

Would you rather have Richard Seymour or Chris Ellis?

Same can be said for any position I think.

Rather than argue this for the next several months, I can just respond to your thoughts on the OT's you like. Afterall, its not like I don't like them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X