I don't want to draft any of these fab 5 QB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

I don't want to draft any of these fab 5 QB's

I'm sick of drafting projects. We need impact, and we need it starting that first week in September 2010. Every QB in this year's draft are raw, and don't fit the type of QB needed in Buffalo. I'm done waiting, I want results. I still believe with the right coaching staff, that this team is a handful of great players away from being contenders. Your right, in that handful 'QB' is listed. However, I'm all for a game managing QB for a year, if that means we fix our trenches, and kill teams with our running game next year. Lynch and Jackson have the potential to be the best running tandem in the NFL behind the right guys. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we need to start there. Sign Jason Cambell for a year or two. To me, he's like a poor man's Bledsoe, but a bit more mobile. He wont cost much, and I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere else.

Even if one of the QB's blow people away at the combine, the Rams have first dibs. We are going to have to live with a rookie QB's growing pains, and it just isn't going to be fun at all. Cambell isn't our solution, and he's definitely not the greatest QB, but I think if we can get our lines straightened out, we can ask him to throw 15-20 times a game, and just give the rock to Lynch and Jackson.

I want the best player available in this year's draft. And I don't think it will be a QB.
    Last edited by Prov401; 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM.
  • we are
    • Oct 2008

Re: I don't want to draft any of these fab 5 QB's

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
    I'm sick of drafting projects. We need impact, and we need it starting that first week in September 2010. Every QB in this year's draft are raw, and don't fit the type of QB needed in Buffalo. I'm done waiting, I want results. I still believe with the right coaching staff, that this team is a handful of great players away from being contenders. Your right, in that handful 'QB' is listed. However, I'm all for a game managing QB for a year, if that means we fix our trenches, and kill teams with our running game next year. Lynch and Jackson have the potential to be the best running tandem in the NFL behind the right guys. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we need to start there. Sign Jason Cambell for a year or two. To me, he's like a poor man's Bledsoe, but a bit more mobile. He wont cost much, and I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere else.

Even if one of the QB's blow people away at the combine, the Rams have first dibs. We are going to have to live with a rookie QB's growing pains, and it just isn't going to be fun at all. Cambell isn't our solution, and he's definitely not the greatest QB, but I think if we can get our lines straightened out, we can ask him to throw 15-20 times a game, and just give the rock to Lynch and Jackson.

I want the best player available in this year's draft. And I don't think it will be a QB.
    No to all that.

Comment

• Block "O"
      lowering the bar with every post
      • Sep 2008

Wow Jason Campbell??? Dude will have a UFL gig soon.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

OK.

But without a franchise QB, I firmly believe we will be looking at something close to what were looking at now.

A franchise QB isnt the whole answer but its a big part.

Add a guy like Suh? Id love it. But whats that worth? A better run D and a pass rush? That wont put points on the board.

Add a guy like Okung? Id love that too. But whats that worth? It takes years to develop them into franchise guys, and even then its at best only 1/5 of your total O lines play.

Id be happy with a LT or a DT or several other players as well. But I wont say it cant be a QB, because if were right, and that guy becomes a franchise QB, we have a very large part of the SB winning solution fixed at that point.

I just cant rule out this position on a team that needs one so badly.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

There is not a franchise QB available to draft X era

Comment

• Prov401
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by X-Era
            OK.

But without a franchise QB, I firmly believe we will be looking at something close to what were looking at now.

A franchise QB isnt the whole answer but its a big part.

Add a guy like Suh? Id love it. But whats that worth? A better run D and a pass rush? That wont put points on the board.

Add a guy like Okung? Id love that too. But whats that worth? It takes years to develop them into franchise guys, and even then its at best only 1/5 of your total O lines play.

Id be happy with a LT or a DT or several other players as well. But I wont say it cant be a QB, because if were right, and that guy becomes a franchise QB, we have a very large part of the SB winning solution fixed at that point.

I just cant rule out this position on a team that needs one so badly.
            Since your the only one who gave an insightful response, I'll just reply to you. Everything you said is pretty much true. And like I said in my initial post, if one of these QB's comes out and blows us all away, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think that is going to happen, and if it doesn't happen, are you willing to take a chance with a top pick in the NFL draft, on a QB that may or may not be the answer?

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

Let Brohm be our project QB. He has just as good a chance of being something in the NFL as the draft class IMO

Comment

• Prov401
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Novacane
                This is my point exactly. I threw out Cambell's name just because he is the only noteable free agent. I'll take Cambell over the: could/would/should/possibly/hit/miss QB's in this draft. You have to go best player available. That's what New England does, that's what Pittsburgh does, that's what Indianapolis does...Oh, they got Superbowl rings don't they? Hmm...
                Last edited by Prov401; 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Prov401
                  • Aug 2008

Let Brohm be our project QB. He has just as good a chance of being something in the NFL as the draft class IMO
                  Even that. My point being, sit this draft out on the QB's. They are all risks IMO.

Comment

• Prov401
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Block "O"
                    Wow Jason Campbell??? Dude will have a UFL gig soon.
                    Oh, and your solution at QB is Tim Tebow? I don't know how I'd feel about my QB crying on the sidelines anytime we'd lose a game. And by crying, I mean sobbing uncontrolably.
                    Last edited by Prov401; 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                      • Feb 2005

i agree... Any QB we pick up in the draft is at least 2-3 years out. I almost got suckered in today with the Clauson, Bradford, Locker talk. But I'm reverting back to my original thinking.

1) Vet stop-gap QB (Vick or Cambell).
                      2) 3rd round QB (LeFevour or Tebow)... Brohm and rookie sit and learn.
                      3) LB, DT, DE and LT via day 1 draft, free agency and trade.

Complete all 3 steps and this team challenges for the AFC East in 2010.
                      Draft a QB top 10 and this team goes 7-9 this year and 2011.
                      Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 12-08-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Demon
                        • Mar 2003

Most QBs take a while to adjust to the NFL. Most of the Qbs we're talking about are juniors, thus probably needing a little more time.
                        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Im not convinced that thats a given... could be true, might not be.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Since your the only one who gave an insightful response, I'll just reply to you. Everything you said is pretty much true. And like I said in my initial post, if one of these QB's comes out and blows us all away, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think that is going to happen, and if it doesn't happen, are you willing to take a chance with a top pick in the NFL draft, on a QB that may or may not be the answer?
                            I will say it this way,

Is there any draft where we pick 7th or 8th that we don't have to ask ourselves that very same question?

Guys like Rivers, Roeth, Flacco, and Ryan should answer that question. Are any in that caliper going into the draft? that's debate-able.

We need to see more still, that's all I'm saying.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

I want Brohm to get a full look.

But, there may end up being a guy or maybe two who looks even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X