PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to draft any of these fab 5 QB's

Prov401
12-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm sick of drafting projects. We need impact, and we need it starting that first week in September 2010. Every QB in this year's draft are raw, and don't fit the type of QB needed in Buffalo. I'm done waiting, I want results. I still believe with the right coaching staff, that this team is a handful of great players away from being contenders. Your right, in that handful 'QB' is listed. However, I'm all for a game managing QB for a year, if that means we fix our trenches, and kill teams with our running game next year. Lynch and Jackson have the potential to be the best running tandem in the NFL behind the right guys. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we need to start there. Sign Jason Cambell for a year or two. To me, he's like a poor man's Bledsoe, but a bit more mobile. He wont cost much, and I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere else.

Even if one of the QB's blow people away at the combine, the Rams have first dibs. We are going to have to live with a rookie QB's growing pains, and it just isn't going to be fun at all. Cambell isn't our solution, and he's definitely not the greatest QB, but I think if we can get our lines straightened out, we can ask him to throw 15-20 times a game, and just give the rock to Lynch and Jackson.

I want the best player available in this year's draft. And I don't think it will be a QB.

we are
12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm sick of drafting projects. We need impact, and we need it starting that first week in September 2010. Every QB in this year's draft are raw, and don't fit the type of QB needed in Buffalo. I'm done waiting, I want results. I still believe with the right coaching staff, that this team is a handful of great players away from being contenders. Your right, in that handful 'QB' is listed. However, I'm all for a game managing QB for a year, if that means we fix our trenches, and kill teams with our running game next year. Lynch and Jackson have the potential to be the best running tandem in the NFL behind the right guys. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we need to start there. Sign Jason Cambell for a year or two. To me, he's like a poor man's Bledsoe, but a bit more mobile. He wont cost much, and I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere else.

Even if one of the QB's blow people away at the combine, the Rams have first dibs. We are going to have to live with a rookie QB's growing pains, and it just isn't going to be fun at all. Cambell isn't our solution, and he's definitely not the greatest QB, but I think if we can get our lines straightened out, we can ask him to throw 15-20 times a game, and just give the rock to Lynch and Jackson.

I want the best player available in this year's draft. And I don't think it will be a QB.

No to all that.

Block "O"
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow Jason Campbell??? Dude will have a UFL gig soon.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM

OK.

But without a franchise QB, I firmly believe we will be looking at something close to what were looking at now.

A franchise QB isnt the whole answer but its a big part.

Add a guy like Suh? Id love it. But whats that worth? A better run D and a pass rush? That wont put points on the board.

Add a guy like Okung? Id love that too. But whats that worth? It takes years to develop them into franchise guys, and even then its at best only 1/5 of your total O lines play.

Id be happy with a LT or a DT or several other players as well. But I wont say it cant be a QB, because if were right, and that guy becomes a franchise QB, we have a very large part of the SB winning solution fixed at that point.

I just cant rule out this position on a team that needs one so badly.

Novacane
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM
There is not a franchise QB available to draft X era

Prov401
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
OK.

But without a franchise QB, I firmly believe we will be looking at something close to what were looking at now.

Add a guy like Suh? Id love it. But whats that worth? A better run D and a pass rush? That wont put points on the board.

Add a guy like Okung? Id love that too. But whats that worth? It takes years to develop them into franchise guys, and even then its at best only 1/5 of your total O lines play.

Id be happy with a LT or a DT or several other players as well. But I wont say it cant be a QB, because if were right, and that guy becomes a franchise QB, we have a very large part of the SB winning solution fixed at that point.

Since your the only one who gave an insightful response, I'll just reply to you. Everything you said is pretty much true. And like I said in my initial post, if one of these QB's comes out and blows us all away, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think that is going to happen, and if it doesn't happen, are you willing to take a chance with a top pick in the NFL draft, on a QB that may or may not be the answer?

Novacane
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Let Brohm be our project QB. He has just as good a chance of being something in the NFL as the draft class IMO

Prov401
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM

This is my point exactly. I threw out Cambell's name just because he is the only noteable free agent. I'll take Cambell over the: could/would/should/possibly/hit/miss QB's in this draft. You have to go best player available. That's what New England does, that's what Pittsburgh does, that's what Indianapolis does...Oh, they got Superbowl rings don't they? Hmm...

Prov401
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Let Brohm be our project QB. He has just as good a chance of being something in the NFL as the draft class IMO

Even that. My point being, sit this draft out on the QB's. They are all risks IMO.

Prov401
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Wow Jason Campbell??? Dude will have a UFL gig soon.

Oh, and your solution at QB is Tim Tebow? I don't know how I'd feel about my QB crying on the sidelines anytime we'd lose a game. And by crying, I mean sobbing uncontrolably.

Yasgur's Farm
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM

I want the best player available in this year's draft. And I don't think it will be a QB. i agree... Any QB we pick up in the draft is at least 2-3 years out. I almost got suckered in today with the Clauson, Bradford, Locker talk. But I'm reverting back to my original thinking.

1) Vet stop-gap QB (Vick or Cambell).
2) 3rd round QB (LeFevour or Tebow)... Brohm and rookie sit and learn.
3) LB, DT, DE and LT via day 1 draft, free agency and trade.

Complete all 3 steps and this team challenges for the AFC East in 2010.
Draft a QB top 10 and this team goes 7-9 this year and 2011.

Demon
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Most QBs take a while to adjust to the NFL. Most of the Qbs we're talking about are juniors, thus probably needing a little more time.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Im not convinced that thats a given... could be true, might not be.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Since your the only one who gave an insightful response, I'll just reply to you. Everything you said is pretty much true. And like I said in my initial post, if one of these QB's comes out and blows us all away, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think that is going to happen, and if it doesn't happen, are you willing to take a chance with a top pick in the NFL draft, on a QB that may or may not be the answer?

I will say it this way,

Is there any draft where we pick 7th or 8th that we don't have to ask ourselves that very same question?

Guys like Rivers, Roeth, Flacco, and Ryan should answer that question. Are any in that caliper going into the draft? that's debate-able.

We need to see more still, that's all I'm saying.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I want Brohm to get a full look.

But, there may end up being a guy or maybe two who looks even better.

X-Era
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
This is my point exactly. I threw out Cambell's name just because he is the only noteable free agent. I'll take Cambell over the: could/would/should/possibly/hit/miss QB's in this draft. You have to go best player available. That's what New England does, that's what Pittsburgh does, that's what Indianapolis does...Oh, they got Superbowl rings don't they? Hmm...
All three teams you mention have franchise QB's... and thats part of my point... they have the luxury.

There was a reason Indy took Manning #1 overall, there was a reason Pitt took Roeth so high in the 1st, and NE got lucky with a late rounder when they already had a franchise QB.

HHURRICANE
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Put a real o-line in and the starter might still be on our current roster. We have the potential to have the best RB tandem in the league. If we could establish a solid running game capt. checkdown could run this offense.

The o-line killed us this year. We don't need a QB but an LT. A top flight LT drafted starts on day one, a QB doesn't.

Pinkerton Security
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Why is everyone so sure there are no franchise QBs in the draft??? Was Phillip Rivers viewed as a franchise Qb? No, they thought he was somewhat of a project due to his throwing motion and other factors. There are many many other QB's that weren't seen as franchise QB's because they had concerns about them, but to be scared to go out on a limb and take a Clausen or Locker or Bradford just because they MIGHT not be the one, to me is worse than picking up some schmo later on that has about a 5% chance at being a legit star. Im not saying reach for someone and im also not saying just take a QB because we need one, but if there is a guy there who has most of the tools to be a star but has one or two "issues", I say go for it.

Prov401
12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Why is everyone so sure there are no franchise QBs in the draft??? Was Phillip Rivers viewed as a franchise Qb? No, they thought he was somewhat of a project due to his throwing motion and other factors. There are many many other QB's that weren't seen as franchise QB's because they had concerns about them, but to be scared to go out on a limb and take a Clausen or Locker or Bradford just because they MIGHT not be the one, to me is worse than picking up some schmo later on that has about a 5% chance at being a legit star. Im not saying reach for someone and im also not saying just take a QB because we need one, but if there is a guy there who has most of the tools to be a star but has one or two "issues", I say go for it.

As I also said, if there is a QB who steps up in the combine and proves that he has all the tools...then I am all for it. However, I am not all for an experiment. As far as evaluating the QB's now, I don't see anybody who has what it takes to play in Buffalo. Jim Kelly said it best last week on the pre-game show. He said in order to play in Buffalo, you need to have a big time arm. Nobody in this draft has a big time arm. Everyone is puny (aside from Tebow, but let's be honest with ourselves...He's not the answer in Buffalo). Bradford is 215lbs, and has shoulder concerns. McCoy is Chad Pennington. No thank you to another Charlie Weis project, and to be honest, I really don't know much about Locker. Like I said, if any of these guys start dropping jaws in the combine, and can throw 60+ yards no problem...then I'm all for drafting them. However, if there is no QB that shows he is going to be a potential franchise QB...then take the best player available.

yordad
12-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh, and your solution at QB is Tim Tebow? I don't know how I'd feel about my QB crying on the sidelines anytime we'd lose a game. And by crying, I mean sobbing uncontrolably.At least he seemed effected.

Block "O"
12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Oh, and your solution at QB is Tim Tebow? I don't know how I'd feel about my QB crying on the sidelines anytime we'd lose a game. And by crying, I mean sobbing uncontrolably.
Yea god forbid any Bills players give a crap if they win or lose. They are smiling 3 seconds after the final tick comes off the clock. :bf1: It was the SEC Championship game dummie, not just any game and it was his last regular season game as a Gator. If we don't draft Teb-ho we will set back our franchise 2 decades IMHO. Maybe if he pulled a gun on his dad you might be more accepting of him IMHO :giggity:

Demon
12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Yea god forbid any Bills players give a crap if they win or lose. They are smiling 3 seconds after the final tick comes off the clock. :bf1: It was the SEC Championship game dummie, not just any game and it was his last regular season game as a Gator. If we don't draft Teb-ho we will set back our franchise 2 decades IMHO. Maybe if he pulled a gun on his dad you might be more accepting of him IMHO :giggity:

LOL

Come on, you can't be serious right now? Alabama showed us all the weakness in Tebow in the SEC championship game. Tebow plays the spread which very rarely transforms to the NFL game, and he also plays the option, which besides Vince Young, i don't think ever works. His passing % in the pocket is absolutly horrible. You can't deny that. He eyes his WR's like crazy, that will not work with NFL defensive backs.

Vince Young is very bad in the pocket as well and he's a success so far. I give him credit for it but i really doubt we are going to see a second guy with massive amount of weaknesses become a success in that style.

Prov401
12-09-2009, 01:11 AM

What's with the name calling here buddy? Dude, you are seriously high off your ass if you think Tebow is going to be an elite QB in this leauge. Is it his big, rock hard muscles that turn you on about this guy? Do you like his buzz cut and blue dreamy eyes? He was absolutley exposed last week. Do you really think a big goof-ball like Tebow is going to run a QB sneak straight at Ray Lewis and give him a cute little stiff arm to gain 35 yards? This is the NFL...Dummy.

Block "O"
12-09-2009, 01:21 AM
What's with the name calling here buddy? Dude, you are seriously high off your ass if you think Tebow is going to be an elite QB in this leauge. Is it his big, rock hard muscles that turn you on about this guy? Do you like his buzz cut and blue dreamy eyes? He was absolutley exposed last week. Do you really think a big goof-ball like Tebow is going to run a QB sneak straight at Ray Lewis and give him a cute little stiff arm to gain 35 yards? This is the NFL...Dummy.

God will protect him against murderous thugs like ray lewis IMHO.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

– <cite>John 3:16 (KJV)</cite>

God Bless!!!!

Demon
12-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Why do you say god bless like Tebow does at the end of all your posts?

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 01:23 AM
In my dream draft, the 49ers would want to move up to grab Berry so we trade our 1st & 2nd for their two 1sts.

The draft falls to us in such a way that we draft Bruce Campbell and then, because of a few injury concerns results in Sam Bradford falling we are able to grab him.

It might go like this

1. TB Suh
2. Cle Clausen
3. Stl Locker
4. Det McCoy
5. Buf TRADE San Francisco take Berry
6. Was Mallett
7. KC Okung
8. Oak Mays or Derrick Morgan
9. BUF CAMPBELL LT
10. Den McClain
11. Sea Haden
12. NYJ Warren
13. BUF BRADFORD QB

Whilst unlikely, it might happen. We could also see if we could trade Lunch to Seattle for a R3 and a swap of our 2nd R1 for the first R1

Bradford may fall because of injuries and might not have a big enough arm for Al Davis.

San Francisco may feel they can afford to wait for the 2nd round for a RT like Trent Williams but want to grab the best player in the draft.

A lot of mays but there's nothing wrong with dreaming

Block "O"
12-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Why do you say god bless like Tebow does at the end of all your posts?

I never noticed IMHO

God bless!!!

Demon
12-09-2009, 01:39 AM
In my dream draft, the 49ers would want to move up to grab Berry so we trade our 1st & 2nd for their two 1sts.

The draft falls to us in such a way that we draft Bruce Campbell and then, because of a few injury concerns results in Sam Bradford falling we are able to grab him.

It might go like this

1. TB Suh
2. Cle Clausen
3. Stl Locker
4. Det McCoy
5. Buf TRADE San Francisco take Berry
6. Was Mallett
7. KC Okung
8. Oak Mays or Derrick Morgan
9. BUF CAMPBELL LT
10. Den McClain
11. Sea Haden
12. NYJ Warren
13. BUF BRADFORD QB

Whilst unlikely, it might happen. We could also see if we could trade Lunch to Seattle for a R3 and a swap of our 2nd R1 for the first R1

Bradford may fall because of injuries and might not have a big enough arm for Al Davis.

San Francisco may feel they can afford to wait for the 2nd round for a RT like Trent Williams but want to grab the best player in the draft.

A lot of mays but there's nothing wrong with dreaming

I couldn't even imagine how much $$$ would go to these rookies....it's an idea we can try in the new CBA with a rookie cap. lol

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 02:11 AM
I couldn't even imagine how much $$$ would go to these rookies....it's an idea we can try in the new CBA with a rookie cap. lol

We blow enough money on FAs who don't perform, and gamble in the draft. Lets grab a couple of guys who are as ready to start as any.

I can see them being the Buffalo version of Ryan/Baker which is better than what we currently have.

ServoBillieves
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Tony Pike.

Not the overhyped top 5, just underhyped.

ServoBillieves
12-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I never noticed IMHO

God bless!!!

You also say IMHO about 9 times a post.

Technically, we all know it's your opinion, however humble it may be.

The Juice Is Loose
12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
OK.

Here is the issue: do you take a qb and guarantee them 30 million, even if your lukewarm on them at best, and they could represent another JP Losman, something this fanbase won't take?

No. No way. You take the QB your hot for. If the Bills don't get real enthused about any of these QB's, you can't just reach on one because you need a QB.

Pinkerton Security
12-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Tony Pike.

Not the overhyped top 5, just underhyped.

Eh I feel that he's overhyped as well, he sucked for the most part against Pitt, i know they ended up winning but he looked terrible for the most part.