PDA

View Full Version : Jake Locker may be staying in college

T-Long
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM
We may have to take him out as being a candidate for a new QB for the Bills. He is ******ed if he doesn't come out. He will be a Top 10 pick.

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/09/locker-still-pondering-his-options/)

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't buy anything from PFT. They are idiots.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I'd be shocked if he stayed due to potential salary cap on draft after next year. Plus he's expected to be a top 10 pick

ddaryl
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
If he was to get drafted anywhere's in the top 20 he should come out. The money is too good and the risk is too high to stay put IMO.

that being said I like Locker as a QB but I wouldn't touch him in the top 10 because he is way to raw especially for the Bills

NOW if the Bills trade back and parlay some picks and can still get him in the latter half of the 1st then it gets interesting

but if Locker comes to Buffalo he is not seeing the field for at least a year while a NFL Vet and Brohm battle to play.

Not to mention the fact that our OL needs some help and because of the significant amount of rookies/inexperience/scrubs on our roster right now, the OL needs another year of improving and gelling before we can even consider putting a $40 million guy back there.

The OL simply must be fixed, and I don't care who we draft on the OL and who we pick up in FA that OL will still need the year to gel and become a unit.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd take Locker over every QB besides Bradford

Ingtar33
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd take Locker over every QB besides Bradford

I wouldn't, Locker hasn't done anything in college to deserve a top 20 pick. frankly.. had he come out i wouldn't be surprised if he went in round 3 or lower.

T-Long
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't, Locker hasn't done anything in college to deserve a top 20 pick. frankly.. had he come out i wouldn't be surprised if he went in round 3 or lower.

Locker is ranked in the top 20 by Kiper and McShay...say what you want about them, but they usually are pretty close in their projections.

DraftBoy
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Locker is ranked in the top 20 by Kiper and McShay...say what you want about them, but they usually are pretty close in their projections.

Locker is also a great baseball player and stands to be drafted there as well. There is no guarantee he even plays football at the next level. He hasn't decided that yet.

T-Long
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Locker is also a great baseball player and stands to be drafted there as well. There is no guarantee he even plays football at the next level. He hasn't decided that yet.
Wasn't he already drafted?

Ingtar33
12-09-2009, 02:25 PM

back when i worked in front a front office we used to watch espn's draft coverage and laugh our heads off at Kiper. The one thing that was guarenteed every draft day, was the Bengles were guarenteed to draft the best player availible according to Kiper.

They were a horrible football team for a reason.

What Kiper and McShay are better at then talent evaluation is leading up to the draft they get some peaks at teams actual boards. If you want a better feel for how the draft will go, wait till the week before the draft. Kiper's and McShay's "big board" will more closely resemble how teams will draft.

Locker is only a top 20 pick based on physical skills alone. Big arm, fast legs. He never did anything with his arm on the football field that demands a high round pick.

He has the tools of a top pick, but none of the production. Any team that drafts him would probably have to sit him for 3 or 4 years before he's ready for the NFL game. He'd be a fool to come out this year. He didn't even make the all pac-10 team, and he's only won 9 games in 3 college seasons. His numbers are quite mediocre.

Right now I'd feel far safer taking someone like Tim Hiller in round 2 or 3, over Jake Locker. Hiller probably could start day one.

Slim
12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
back when i worked in front a front office we used to watch espn's draft coverage and laugh our heads off at Kiper. The one thing that was guarenteed every draft day, was the Bengles were guarenteed to draft the best player availible according to Kiper.

They were a horrible football team for a reason.

What Kiper and McShay are better at then talent evaluation is leading up to the draft they get some peaks at teams actual boards. If you want a better feel for how the draft will go, wait till the week before the draft. Kiper's and McShay's "big board" will more closely resemble how teams will draft.

Locker is only a top 20 pick based on physical skills alone. Big arm, fast legs. He never did anything with his arm on the football field that demands a high round pick.

He has the tools of a top pick, but none of the production. Any team that drafts him would probably have to sit him for 3 or 4 years before he's ready for the NFL game. He'd be a fool to come out this year. He didn't even make the all pac-10 team, and he's only won 9 games in 3 college seasons. His numbers are quite mediocre.

Right now I'd feel far safer taking someone like Tim Hiller in round 2 or 3, over Jake Locker. Hiller probably could start day one.

What front office did you work for? I never new you did that.

Ingtar33
12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
What front office did you work for? I never new you did that.

One guy on Billszone figured it out once upon a time. I decided a long time ago not to talk about specifics, partly because of fear for my career (i was breaking a few rules of my employment at the time with some of the things i was writing about).

I'm not really breaking any rules now, but i like being able to talk anonymously. I'm now in a position as a football coach for a college program, where I'm extremely limited in what i can say publicly.

and there is certainly enough on my wiki page that if i gave you the team i worked for, you could probably figure out who i was pretty fast.

sorry.

I actually haven't had to answer that type of question here in years. figure there was no harm in answering it again.

Just know the Buffalo Bills always were and always are my first and only love. I've been a fan my whole life. Someday I'd love to coach the team and bring a superbowl to buffalo. I guess you could say that's my dream. It's highly unlikely to ever happen, but who knows what could happen in the next 10 or 15 years?

besides.. what i used to do has little baring on how much you should listen to me. People like Draftboy and X-Era watch far more college football these days then i do, and probably have a better grasp on the prospects coming out then i do. Hell, Draftboy's got a solid eye for talent evaluation all things being equal. There is no great secret to how to evaluate players. And there is only so far a lone scout can go. You'd be amazed what types of games we used to play to make our draft board. not too far off throwing darts. lol (and unless our owner got in the way we drafted pretty well i think, which aught to tell you just how scientific the process is)

scartown
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Locker was drafted this year by the Angels in the 10th round as a center fielder. He might have even been drafted out of high school as well. I don't see him going into baseball. Hopefully he declares and hes there when the Bills make their pick.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Jake Locker will be drafted by Buffalo in Rd 2 if available. I don't see Bradford or Clausen around at 7.

tampabay25690
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM

WHAT????
Im sorry but do you read or watch any college football?
He plays on a very POOR team and is out WEST at Washington.
The GUY WILL BE A 1st round pick....Has the grade to possibly be the 1st QB taken in the draft this year....
What has Clause done to deserve being a 1st round pick??? He throws the ball up and hope someone grabs it?

Ingtar33
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
WHAT????
The GUY WILL BE A 1st round pick....Has the grade to possibly be the 1st QB taken in the draft this year....
What has Clause done to deserve being a 1st round pick??? He throws the ball up and hope someone grabs it?

not often. yes he does that from time to time, but i saw him hit far more players in stride on a deep pass then just throw a jump ball.

here... i'll link you to a youtube of Clausen's bowl game last year.

he looked pretty much identical to this version of himself this year.. reguardless the team he was playing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that's pretty much identical to how he's looked in every game this year. sure he would throw a few more incompletions, but largely he made the same reads... and threw the ball the same.

I'm not saying Clausen will make a good pro. but he's definitely a better prospect then Locker. that's a good you tube because it shows every pass Clausen made in that game.

Dicknoze69
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
WHAT????

I think Ingtar is merely stating that while Locker's physical attributes are quite strong, his actual body of work in college is pretty poor. Part of that is being on a bad team and part of that is straight-up inexperience.

My personal opinion is that Locker will be a top-15 pick based solely on being great in workouts. Consequently he'll be a gigantic risk for being a bust but he also has enormous potential if you're very patient with him. He reminds me of Losman or Kyle Boller. There's a lot of risk in taking Locker and my personal opinion is to try to minimize risk.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
WHAT????

I usually don't agree with you. But I agree with you on Locker. I love his athletism, release, toughness playing behind that line, and arm strength. Clausen def floats the ball too much and won't get away with it in the NFL

BuffaloBlitz83
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Didn't DB have a stat about kids from smaller schools having higher success rate than the BIG SCHOOL QB'S?

BillsWin
12-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I really dont like Locker any way, I think he will be a bust. Hey T-Long, I'm liking the default. it looks more and more like he may drop to us. I really hope Saint Louis is the only team above us picking QB, and I hope they choose Clausen. Leaving us to get Sammy B.

tampabay25690
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
If Locker comes out he will be drafted in the 1st 10 picks.
After his workout he may go in top 3-5...IMO
Right now I think he is the best PROSPECT as a NFL QB....

tampabay25690
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I usually don't agree with you. But I agree with you on Locker. I love his athletism, release, toughness playing behind that line, and arm strength. Clausen def floats the ball too much and won't get away with it in the NFL

I like that i usually don't agree wth you....
Thats a line out of my book...ha ha ha

DraftBoy
12-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Didn't DB have a stat about kids from smaller schools having higher success rate than the BIG SCHOOL QB'S?

I stole it from Colin Cowherd, but that's the trend yes.