PDA

View Full Version : I know it's an obvious hole, but we really should stop talking about QB

Mudflap1
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Build the rest of the team out first! Joe Montana/Peyton Manning/John Elway would get freaking killed with this line.

Let's get a real GM.

Then, let's get a real head coach.

Then, draft well to beef up the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. Give me Suh any day of the week over one of these so-called first round QBs.

Draft a mid or late round QB. Sign a veteran journeyman that can compete and start for a year (a Kerry Collins-type). Maybe we'll get lucky for once and the mid to late round pick, Brohm, or the journeyman pan out better than expected.

Once the rest of the team is shored up, then you go get your franchise QB. Probably will take a year or two. This QB draft class is weak anyway. McCoy, Locker, Tebow, etc. are probably not NFL starting material. Let's wait for the guys like Ryan Mallett, Sean Canfield, and Andrew Luck to come out.

Jon

The King
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree I think the foundation is the most important.

Luisito23
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I hate when people say Kelly, Manning, Montana, etc. would get killed in this line. Sure they're young, and they're bad, but a competent QB always makes his players around him that much better. Put Manning, or Brees in our line right now, and I guarantee you that we make the playoffs.

Mudflap1
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I hate when people say Kelly, Manning, Montana, etc. would get killed in this line. Sure they're young, and they're bad, but a competent QB always makes his players around him that much better. Put Manning, or Brees in our line right now, and I guarantee you that we make the playoffs.

How can you say that? Brees had a good line and great offense the last two years. Where did that get the Saints? You need INFRASTRUCTURE. That means good line, good defensive line, good defensive players, then some weapons. Then most QB's will succeed, and the great ones will make the team elite.

ddaryl
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM

I 100% disagree...

a vet like Manning or Brees possibly, but a rookie like Manning or Brees NO.

If anyone thinks any 2010 1sr rd drafted QB could come to Buffalo behind the same OL as 2009 is a bit dellusional.

In fact manning was 3-13 his 1st year, and Brees struggled for 2-3 years before the lightbulb came on and SD drafted Rivers.

Neither of those QB's were put behind an OL with 3 1st time starters, a new FA C and one vet that switched positions

wozrob11
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
build the rest of the team ? your joking right we have been building the dam team sence 1999 the last time we went to the playoffs., time for a new qb !!!!!we need a general , we need a winner, we need a playmaker. building the team has got us nothing but losing.i know you spent alot of money on a trent edwards authentic jersey and want to wear it some more but come lets get a qb this year and build the team around him .and if im wrong we will be no better than we are now.

The King
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Rodgers is playing phenomenal behind a crap line, but he's an exception, not the rule.

Prov401
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Build the rest of the team out first! Joe Montana/Peyton Manning/John Elway would get freaking killed with this line.

Let's get a real GM.

Then, draft well to beef up the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. Give me Suh any day of the week over one of these so-called first round QBs.

Draft a mid or late round QB. Sign a veteran journeyman that can compete and start for a year (a Kerry Collins-type). Maybe we'll get lucky for once and the mid to late round pick, Brohm, or the journeyman pan out better than expected.

Once the rest of the team is shored up, then you go get your franchise QB. Probably will take a year or two. This QB draft class is weak anyway. McCoy, Locker, Tebow, etc. are probably not NFL starting material. Let's wait for the guys like Ryan Mallett, Sean Canfield, and Andrew Luck to come out.

Jon

Exactly. We need to build up our trenches, and add a few LB's. We have the potential of having the best RB tandem in the NFL. Get them a brick wall to run behind. I'm done taking chances on what could possibly be. I want impact in this draft, and in free agency. I'm done with the Robert Royal signings, and the Aaron Maybin draftings. Best player available. And it won't be a QB.

Luisito23
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
We have the potential of having the best RB tandem in the NFL.

LOL...Yeah.

Luisito23
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Jackson is pretty good, nothing special, and Lynch is yet another bust drafted by this pathetic front office.

ddaryl
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Jackson is pretty good, nothing special, and Lynch is yet another bust drafted by this pathetic front office.

How the **** is Lynch a bust.....

2 1000 yd seasons his 1st 2 years is not a bust

did he regress this year yes

is he being out performed by Jackson this year.. yes

and Jackson is a better WR out of the backfield

but Lynch is no where's near bust status, he just needs to get his head out of his ass and hopefully some coaching changes can get him back on track.

The fact is none of our RB's are tearing it up this year, and neither are any of our QB's.. and the common denominators here are OL and coaching

Mr. Pink
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Disagree completely.

QB is without a doubt the most important position on the field.

If you don't have one, you're not winning anything nor going anywhere.

You can have pro-bowlers everywhere else, but without a QB you don't win consistently.

A GOOD qb makes the play of those around him better.

Conversely a BAD qb makes the play of those around him worse.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
How the **** is Lynch a bust.....

2 1000 yd seasons his 1st 2 years is not a bust

did he regress this year yes

is he being out performed by Jackson .. yes

but Lynch is no where's near bust status, he just needs to get his head out of his ass and hopefully some coaching changes can get him back on track

He's not a bust. He's just average, ordinary, dime a dozen.

People give him the label because a first round pick is supposed to bring more to the table than that.

Unfortunately, Lynch is no better on the field than who he replaced.

Mudflap1
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not saying a franchise QB should not be sought after. I'm just saying that I think there are so many holes on the team right now, that going all out for the franchise guy in the upcoming draft is a mistake. Build up the rest of the team first, then go get your franchise QB.

Pittsburgh won for many years on good defense, good running, and average QB's (Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak). Not saying the Bills should go many years without getting a franchise guy. Roethlisberger put them over the top. Just saying you can get it done in the short term by building up the infrastructure and then nabbing the franchise QB when he comes your way, not reaching to grab him when the rest of the team is a trainwreck. Let's solidify the trenches, LB's, etc.

TacklingDummy
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
It all starts with a QUARTERBACK.

TacklingDummy
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
The 10 ten teams in QB rating are 84-35 on the year. The bottom 10 teams are a combined 27-87.

Yasgur's Farm
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
It all starts with a QUARTERBACK. IF there's a QB out there... I don't think there is in draft this season. You can't just make 1 materialize.

kernowboy
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Depending where we draft it might be possible to trade down and get help in the trenches AND a QB.

This possible scenario.

1. TB - Ndamkuong Suh ... with a QB and a desperate defence they go DT

2. Cle - Dez Bryant .... the lights have finally come on for Quinn so they give him a top target

3. Stl - Jimmy Clausen ... first QB off the board having drafted a LT last year.

4. Det - Gerald McCoy ... apparently they are happy with Backus but cannot be happy with their DL. So they grab the second best guy.

5. Was - Jake Locker ... Campbell is gone so Snyder goes with the top QB on the board scared off by a lack of OT and Bradford's injuries

6. 49ers - Eric Berry ... Buffalo trade their 1st, 2nd and 3rd for two 1sts. The 49ers grab maybe the best player in the draft as Smith has stepped up and they can grab a RT in the 2nd round

7. KC - Russell Okung ... moving Albert inside

8. Oak - Ryan Mallett ... Al Davis sticks to form and grabs a guy with a big arm

9. BUFFALO - BRUCE CAMPBELL ..... we take our quarterbacks bodyguard for the next 5-10years

10. Den - Rolando McClain .... having resigned Orton, the Broncos continue to develop their 3-4 Defence

11. BUFFALO - SAM BRADFORD ... we trade Lynch to Seattle for a flip of first rounders and their 3rd. With needs at CB, OT and RB, they decide that a QB is not their most vital selection at the mo.

With the rest? We'll have a 3rd, a 4th, (a second 4th for Ko Simpson?) a 5th, two 6th including the Philly pick for Peters, and a 7th.

We should be able to pick up a LB, a couple of DL, a WR, and a RB amongst them but we've got a starting QB and LT.

HHURRICANE
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM

I like you but you are dead wrong on this one.

ddaryl
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Depending where we draft it might be possible to trade down and get help in the trenches AND a QB.

This possible scenario.....

Crazy stuff but you're definitely on my page.... Unless a can't miss guy like Suh falls to us trading back and gaining picks is the in the Bills best interests

Too many holes and the new guy(s) are gonna want more of their guys.

Prov401
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Jackson is something very special. He has easily been the team's MVP this year, and along with Byrd, has provided something for us Bills fans to root for every week. Your out of your tree if you think Jackson isn't special. Lynch has had a rough year, and was suspended. I believe his mind has not been wrapped around football this season at all. Many players have said Lynch is one of the toughest players to tackle. He has had thousand yard seasons behind pathetic lines. If we fix this line up....Yea..we will have one of the best RB tandem in the NFL. No reason to giggle like a school girl with your 'lol's over it...

Nighthawk
12-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Let's get a real GM.

Jon

Yes and no. For one thing, people really need to stop saying Manning would get killed behind this OL. For those who can remember, Manning has played behind a subpar OL for years...he just makes it look better. So, it is completely false to say that a good QB can't make an OL look better. I know it makes your point look better to say something like that, but it just isn't true.

Mudflap1
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes and no. For one thing, people really need to stop saying Manning would get killed behind this OL. For those who can remember, Manning has played behind a subpar OL for years...he just makes it look better. So, it is completely false to say that a good QB can't make an OL look better. I know it makes your point look better to say something like that, but it just isn't true.

I'm not saying Manning would be 4-8 with this line, but he probably wouldn't be 12-0. Maybe 6-6. Still not good enough. Beef up the lines!