PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith

The King
12-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Jeff1220 brought this up the other day and it really got me thinking. And to be honest I think this is the best idea no one is talking about.

Smith is in his 3rd year in the league, soley in a cleanup role. He has the desire to be a starter in this league he's a hard working, good character guy.
So he's a little short. His contract is up this year I believe, can anyone give me a good reason as to why he shouldn't be considered?

Here are his NFL stats... Mostly garbage time, he does have two starts.

43-80 534 yards 3TD's 0INT's 87.2 Rating through 10 appearances.

He would come cheap and give us our draft picks to address the holes on our line.
I would take Smith over any QB in this years draft class and he would come with a much lesser tag.

A+ suggestion Jeff!

The Juice Is Loose
12-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Stupid idea. If he was worth a damn he wouldn't be collecting dust for 3 years.

mayotm
12-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Stupid idea. If he was worth a damn he wouldn't be collecting dust for 3 years.Stupid response. Lots of good players take time to develop. Not saying I think Smith is one of them, but your logic is off. For the record, Smith was going to start over Flacco two years ago before getting very sick towards the end of the pre-season.

THATHURMANATOR
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
This is in the same line as my Dennis Dixon idea but Smith has even more experience!

I do like this as well. Better than many options.

JIL since this is such a dumb idea tell me what you want to do at QB braniac!

Tatonka
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
troy smith looked solid any time he played. we have nothing at all to lose to sign the guy and let him compete. we have a ton of money and no qbs.. so why not draft one.. sign him and go with braum as well.

it really wont matter unless we get a good coaching staff.

The King
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
If Smith was 3-4 inches taller I think the rap on him would be much different. The kid has a ton of heart... I would totally buy his jersey from China!

THATHURMANATOR
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
troy smith looked solid any time he played. we have nothing at all to lose to sign the guy and let him compete. we have a ton of money and no qbs.. so why not draft one.. sign him and go with braum as well.

it really wont matter unless we get a good coaching staff.
Exactly! If either Dixon or Smith are brought in it isn't giving them the keys to the bus. They would be brought in to compete. In a year of one of the weaker QB classes in some time and no legitimate veterans starters available what do you suggest the team does? Stick with Fitz???? NO THANK YOU.

The King
12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
To draft a question mark QB just because we need one is going to throw us in another 3 year cycle of question marks... we really need to take the guessing out of the equation. And while a head coach wants nothing to do with us, a back up QB would be thrilled to come here knowing they have a good shot to win the gig.

The Juice Is Loose
12-10-2009, 09:17 AM
This is in the same line as my Dennis Dixon idea but Smith has even more experience!

I do like this as well. Better than many options.

JIL since this is such a dumb idea tell me what you want to do at QB braniac!

Ok, my original statement about Smith collecting dust, comes from Matt Shaub. Shaub was good enough on the bench that after a year or so, a team gave up a 2nd round pick for him, and he's performed. Even still, he hasn't quite been great, and he's been injury prone.

The cream rises. If a guy is on a team for a few years and can't crack the lineup, then he probably isn't going to go to some other team and light it up.

With the acception of Steve Young, I can't think of a guy who rode the pine for more than a year behind a guy coming out and making a serious impact, can you?

I'll tell you what I would do if it were up to me. First, I wouldn't draft a QB this year. Period. Not Bradford, Tebow, Pike, nobody. They all look average at best. I've been watching football for 25 years now and I can at least ballpark range predict a guys potential in the NFL from watching him in college.

I would bolster our lines, offense and defense. I'd address the WR situation by either bringing in 2 new guys or extending TO and drafting 1 more.

Depending on if anything happens with a proven vet ala Chad Pennington 2 years ago, I'd go with the 3 we have on our roster, let them compete, and then if we decide none of them are the guy, we find our QB.

I just dont' think we should go out and force the QB issue. Buy once, buy right.

The Juice Is Loose
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
We would have to trade to acquire Dixon. he signed a 3 year deal in 2008.

The Juice Is Loose
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Troy Smith signed a 3 year contract in 07, so he won't be available in free agency either.

So its not like we're just getting these guys off the market, we'd have to trade, probably a 3rd or 2nd rounder, which would not be worth it.

The King
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Juice, I believe Smith is a FA after this year so he wouldn't cost us a thing. And I agree 100% about locking down the line and putting the pieces in place to help a QB succeed.

I don't think Smith is on the same wave length as Schaub in terms of talent but I think he's a smart guy who can protect the football, much like Pennington that is the stop gap we need right now, the difference is Smith has upside, Pennington has none.

I thought Smith was under contract for 07, 08 and 09? That would be a three year deal no?

The Juice Is Loose
12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Juice, I believe Smith is a FA after this year so he wouldn't cost us a thing. And I agree 100% about locking down the line and putting the pieces in place to help a QB succeed.

I don't think Smith is on the same wave length as Schaub in terms of talent but I think he's a smart guy who can protect the football, much like Pennington that is the stop gap we need right now, the difference is Smith has upside, Pennington has none.

I thought Smith was under contract for 07, 08 and 09? That would be a three year deal no?

your right about the contract, it should be up this year.

basically, between brohm and smith all we really have to go on is their college career. neither has had a chance in the pros to even show anything.

and based on the college career, how could you not choose brohm?

maybe i'm creating something in my mind based on wishful thinking, but i personally think brohm could really easily be the best qb we have, and could easily be better than smith or dixon or whoever.

so i think we should give a brohm a chance without clouding the competition with a bunch of new qb's.

i think we should have the 3 we have no compete for the job. we haven't had competition here at the position in a long while and traditionally a qb competition ends up yielding a better starter, because they are forced to be their best day in and day out.

Jeff1220
12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
To clarify - Smith will be a RFA at season's end.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
No thx. Go with Brohm and draft one of the QB's this year. I don't trust Troy Smith. I rather draft Locker, Pike, or Bradford. The rookie or Brohm will more likely work out than Brohm and Smith. I don't like Smith.

Block "O"
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Stupid idea. If he was worth a damn he wouldn't be collecting dust for 3 years.

Not true. He lost his starting job to Joe Flacco because he got an illness and Flacco has been pretty good and has kept his job.

k-oneputt
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
You are all kidding right ??? Troy Smith ????
He's lucky he is still collecting an NFL check.

Night Train
12-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm a big Buckeye fan and Smith isn't really an option. He's mobile but short (5-11) with an average arm. Smart but will never be a front line guy.

Block "O"
12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm a big Buckeye fan and Smith isn't really an option. He's mobile but short (5-11) with an average arm. Smart but will never be a front line guy.

sounds like the chart on drew brees when he came out IMHO :hump:

Jeff1220
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Ravens list him at 6'1" so I figured maybe 6'-

Bill Cody
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I like Smith, always have. He is a winning player, great leader, can move around, makes plays. Is he an NFL starter? IDK. I'd take him over anyone on our current roster, not that this is saying much and I'd take him all day over Lossman.

He may end up being a career backup. That's ok, we don't even have that right now really. As I said in an earlier post I'd like to see Brohm. But my memory from college is he has an average arm and he's slow, kind of an AVP type. I'm still on the "draft Locker" bandwagon but that would not stop me from signing Smith.

Ron Burgundy
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Awesome thread. :clap:

Oh, Troy Smith. I predicted badassedness from you when you were drafted, and you've been trampled down by those Neanderthals in Baltimore. I know it's not your fault. Come to Buffalo and be the ****ing man like I know you are!

Jeff1220
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
As an RFA, what would be offered would depend on what tender (if any) he would be offered from Baltimore. Baltimore is pretty strapped as far as cap goes, so who knows how much of it they want to invest into a back-up QB. The Bills have tried the RFA thing a couple of times in years past, but have been unsuccessful at getting the guys signed that they've looked at (basically did the negotiating for the incumbent team to re-sign the RFA).
I've also noticed quite a few mentions of DeCosta as a possility as GM. If he was hired, I could see something like this being pretty realistic.

Bill Cody
12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying this to get a rise out of the guys who wait to pounce at the mere mention of his name but Smith reminds me of Doug Flutie. He's not quite as short as Flutie but he's short for a QB and for a lot of people they don't even give Smith a fair chance because of his size.

But beyond height the two have a lot in common, both former Heisman winners, both unconventional throwing mechanics, both mobile, both winners, both have you wondering at all times "what is he going to do next"? We haven't that feeling around here since we incorrectly blamed all our problems on Drew Bledsoe. So hell yeah if we can get Smith do it, he won't be boring, which is what we are now. My feeling is even if you draft a QB, Smith could be useful either as starter for a year, solid backup, wildcat QB or all of the above.

BillsFanCupp38
12-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I have always like Troy Smith and thought he should have got his chance to start in Baltimore. It is too bad he got sick but I still think he could be a good player. It will probably depend on the coach and what kind of offense he brings in. Smith would most likely play best in a west coast system.