PDA

View Full Version : A few comments about the game against the Caps

OpIv37
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
-Gerbe got pushed around a little, but for the most part, he looked damn good. He got a goal and created a bunch of scoring chances. He's also lightning fast in open ice.

-Tallinder is back. Before 08-09, I thought he was the best defender on the team. Last year, he was brutal. This year, he's playing extremely well on D AND contributing to the offense as well. I don't know if it's the confidence of playing with Myers, or practice, or what, but he is a renewed player.

-the Caps announcers were constantly complimenting the Capitals' back-checking, but what I heard was "The Sabres are making one too many passes." There were at least 4-5 good rushes that stalled when the Sabres tried to pass instead of shooting. I don't want to complain too much about a shutout win, but 2 of the goals came from the defense and one came from Gerbe, who just got called up. Vanek, Roy, Pominville and Stafford need to be more productive.

-Going into the game, Clarke McArthur was tied for the team lead with 8 goals, but he was also a -9. Are you kidding me? How can Mac be outscoring Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Stafford? And how can the leading scorer on a team with such solid D and goaltending also be a -9?

-The officiating was terrible, although neither team really benefited from it. Each team had a good scramble in front of the net whistled dead when the puck was still loose. I saw two bad offsides calls go against the Sabres and one go against the Caps. And they blew at least one icing call that went against the Sabres. The diving call on Ovechkin was weak as well. Sometimes I wonder if the refs just call a random diving penalty every few games so the players know they're still going to call it in the event of a real dive.

SabreEleven
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
- Stafford must feel like Dorthy out there being on a line with Roy and Gerbe.

RockStar36
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
- I really liked Gerbe. Last year he was kinda just out there and didn't look all that great, but last night it looked like he "got it" and really didn't want to be sent back down to the AHL. From what I've heard this morning, he has a legit shot at staying up in Buffalo if he keeps it up.

- Agreed on Tallinder. I have to wonder how much his play improving has to do with Myers, or maybe it's the fact that he is in a contract year? Who knows.

- I'll also agree on this. I defend those scorers a lot, but they really do try for the extra pass a few too many times. What made Tallinder's goal so good in my opinion was that he went all the way, took the shot, followed it, and wasn't looking to get cute with the puck.

SabreEleven
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
- Sit Roy, Vanek and Pominville for a game.

Ebenezer
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
and imagine if they lost 6-0...the fans would go nuts.

RockStar36
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
and imagine if they lost 6-0...the fans would go nuts.

More like 2-0 with Miller in net.

RockStar36
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Vanek looks like he is pressing, in my opinion.

I have this gut feeling that once he scores one goal, he will catch fire.

Then again, I am a homer.

Dr. Lecter
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Why?

Rightnow the effort is there, but the results are not.

I am not sure going with a line-up of Portland scrubs is a good idea.

SabreEleven
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
We'll get the same production from them as if they were on the ice.

Nighthawk
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM

These guys need to become selfish...and no that isn't a bad thing.

Dr. Lecter
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
We'll get the same production from them as if they were on the ice.

I bet Roy does not get two assists in the press box.

Dr. Lecter
12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
And, honestly, Connolly is playing worse than those three. No scoring and he is a turnover machine.

Dr. Lecter
12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
These guys need to become selfish...and no that isn't a bad thing.

Exactly. Especially Vanek.

DrGraves
12-10-2009, 07:43 PM
we need afinogenov back....!

OpIv37
12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
we need afinogenov back....!

Why? Connolly and Roy have been doing great Afinogenov impersonations lately.

SabreEleven
12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
And, honestly, Connolly is playing worse than those three. No scoring and he is a turnover machine.

Don't go there, Thomas :mad:

chernobylwraiths
12-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Op, could you make a new thread criticizing how bad Vanek has been lately?