We you trade down if we had the 5th pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We you trade down if we had the 5th pick?

We've all considered possible permutations as to what might happen in the draft but if we had the 5th pick, would you trade down?

Assuming there are almost definitely four teams who will select ahead of us:

1. Tampa Bay - Ndamduong Suh DT

2. Cleveland - Dez Bryant WR especially if Quinn continues to improve

3. St Louis - Jimmy Clausen QB

4. Detroit - Gerald McCoy DT because they like Backus and whilst they could continue to upgrade their secondary, their DL is horrible.

That would leave us 3 decent QBs but teams below us who might not want to QBs. After the 5th only Washington and Oakland have a clear need for a QB.

Eric Berry is still available, and a team might want to move up for him.

5. TRADE - San Francisco - Eric Berry S

We'd need to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to balance the value of two R1 picks

6. Kansas City - Russell Okung LT

7. Washington - Jake Locker QB (if he comes out)

8. Oakland - Ryan Mallett QB (because Al Davis wants a big armed QB)

9. BUFFALO - BRUCE CAMPBELL LT or SAM BRADFORD QB

10. Seattle - Bruce Campbell LT, Sam Bradford QB or Joe Haden CB

Seattle could do with a QB and OT, but Hasselbeck can still cut it as can Walter Jones and Sean Lockler and as they can grab a RB with their second 1st rounder, they could go for a CB. If we trade them Lynch for a 3rd they may go OT with their second 1st rounder and a QB like Pike or Snead in the 2nd. For me, the secondary is their biggest need.

11. Denver - Rolando McClain ILB or SAM BRADFORD QB

Denver might go for a QB but if they resign Orton would possibly draft a QB of the future lower in the draft

12. New York Jets - Donovan Warren CB or JOE HADEN CB

13. BUFFALO from 49ers - SAM BRADFORD or BRYAN BULAGA LT

Whilst it is too early to tell, there is an outside possibility we could upgrade both QB and LT in the first round.

This could easily be the reverse 2004, where the 4th QB taken turns out to be the best of the lot.

Personally I'd go

9. Bruce Campbell
    13. Sam Bradford.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM.
  • HAMMER
    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
    • Jul 2003

Re: We you trade down if we had the 5th pick?

If we don't take the best available lineman whenever we draft I will never root for this team again.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER
      If we don't take the best available lineman whenever we draft I will never root for this team again.
      err we get Campbell

Comment

• DrGraves
        • Mar 2008

trade up and take suh.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER

I'm so with you on this. How much better off would this team had been had they taken Oher?

This team's decision making is stupid. They'll take a need player in the first two rounds and than the best available in rounds 3-7.

Comment

Walterfootball having us drafting

R1 Sam Bradford
            R2 Trent Williams

I could live with that

Comment

• Ed
              • Sep 2002

I'm always a fan of trading down if the opportunity is there. My only exception to this would be if we had a shot at Suh.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                Defies all logic
                • Oct 2006

Nope, I wouldn't trade down there. I'd take Russell Okung, the best consensus tackle in the draft. Trading Marshawn would also be very appealing to me, especially if we can get a 2nd round pick for him.

1.) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.
                2.) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
                2.) Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
                3.) Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DrGraves
                  trade up and take suh.
                  The guy is a game changer, and the only player in this draft worth considering making such a move.

However we have so many holes it almost seems counter productive to give up picks. However, for Suh... I could bite that bullet

IN REGARDS TO TRADING FOR PICKS

I'm all for that too.... I don't see any QB really being worth a top 10 pick. All the QB's might be functionable NFL QB's but nobody is talking about the next Peyton Manning this year, nor are there any class of '83 type QB's comparisons

We could be in a prime position to gain many picks and really not having to sacrafice much and still get a player we target...
                  Last edited by ddaryl; 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                    Nope, I wouldn't trade down there. I'd take Russell Okung, the best consensus tackle in the draft. Trading Marshawn would also be very appealing to me, especially if we can get a 2nd round pick for him.

Except he's not the consensus - a number think Campbell could over take him.

And don't you want to draft a QB? LOL

Comment

If we get a 2nd for Lynch?

1.) Bruce Campbell, LT, Maryland
                      1.) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
                      2.) Arthur Jones, 3-4 DE, Syracuse
                      4.) Sean Lee, ILB, Penn St
                      4.) Naaman Roosevelt, WR Buffalo
                      5.) James Starks, RB, Buffalo

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kernowboy
                        Except he's not the consensus - a number think Campbell could over take him.

And don't you want to draft a QB? LOL
                        Originally posted by kernowboy
                        If we get a 2nd for Lynch?

1.) Bruce Campbell, LT, Maryland
                        1.) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
                        2.) Arthur Jones, 3-4 DE, Syracuse
                        4.) Sean Lee, ILB, Penn St
                        4.) Naaman Roosevelt, WR Buffalo
                        5.) James Starks, RB, Buffalo
                        Come on, I know you like Campbell but it's starting to get a bit ridiculous at this point. Where the hell are you getting all these picks at too? Completely unrealistic, no way we get (2) 1sts with (2) 4ths and a 2nd, LOL. Plus, come on.. You draft two prospects from Buffalo and one for Syracuse over all the other schools out there?

Comment

Come on, I know you like Campbell but it's starting to get a bit ridiculous at this point. Where the hell are you getting all these picks at too? Completely unrealistic, no way we get (2) 1sts with (2) 4ths and a 2nd, LOL. Plus, come on.. You draft two prospects from Buffalo and one for Syracuse over all the other schools out there?
                          If you look at the draft value board

Trading the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (if they are the 5th pick approx in each round for two lower first rounders 9th and 13th pick in the first round) - on the board its about 20 points difference.

R1. Campbell
                          R1. Bradford

We get a 2nd or 3rd for trading Lynch

R2/3 (Lynch) Arthur Jones

Don't forget we traded Simpson to Detroit for a conditional pick - which many think might have been a fourth rounder.

R4 (Simpson) Lee
                          R4 Naaman Roosevelt

R5 James Starks

Jones was considered a 1st rounder before his injury. If he falls, and we can draft him, I don't care what school he played for

If Owens and Reed leave we are short at WR, but one of the reasons I like Roosevelt is

I don't recall Andre Reed coming out of Kutztown a big deal

As for Starks this is what Modrak thought of him despite his senior injury. If we trade Lynch we need support for

"We would have to watch junior film and base our decision on that," Modrak said. "It's not good for the kid and it's too bad for the team and the program, but it's not the end of the world and he'll be able to get some things done." Starks has a huge body of work for scouts to assess. He leaves as UB's career yardage and scoring leader, racking up back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons to become the first UB running back to do so. Last season, despite missing nearly three full games to injury, Starks rushed for 1,333 yards, scored 17 touchdowns and also racked up 52 receptions for 361 yards. "You don't have recent video and maybe it will hurt him some, but it shouldn't knock him out of the box," Modrak said. "You look at what he did before and you look and see if he's 100 percent and you ask, "Can he do it again?' There have been guys who have gone very high who didn't play their senior year."

If we can get guys who are highly regarded but have fallen because of injury concerns. Its not just the yards on the ground, but his catching ability.

Who cares about their college if the guy can play?

Comment

And why shouldn;'t we draft local guys to play for their home town team if they are good enough?

They might actually want to turn up on Sundays

If we'd drafted Trevor Scott, and Jamey Richard in 2008, we might be needing to fix two less positions on our team
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I would take Okung

Comment

Working...
                              X