PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are going to blow it all up

Ed
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't have espn insider, but there's a story on the main page with the title "The Bills are going to blow it all up." And it says that they have contacted Dungy again. I hadn't heard that they had contacted him in the first place.

Anyway, can someone with insider give us a summary of what the article says? Thanks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors

OpIv37
12-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I couldn't find anything about "blow it all up", but I did find this on Dungy:

Bills contact Dungy again?
10:09AM ET
Tony Dungy | Colts | Interested: Bills?
Top Email

Back in November, there was a rumor that linked the Buffalo Bills' coaching vacancy to Tony Dungy. Dungy indicated he was happy in his current job as an analyst and in his player development role with the league, but that the idea of rebuilding a once-proud franchise was enticing.

In an appearance on Friday morning on the Dan Patrick Show, Dungy had two revelations: he was contacted through a third party regarding the Notre Dame position prior to Brian Kelly's hire, and an NFL team -- that he would not name -- placed a call with him on Thursday.

We know that the Bills are basically going on the "whatever it takes" philosophy in hiring their next coach, so perhaps the call to Dungy this week -- speculative, of course -- was to sweeten the deal they may have offered him in the past. This is wildly hypothetical, but mindful of the fact that the team needs a QB, and this year's crop of draft picks is relatively weak, perhaps the Bills have an interest in both Dungy and his mentoree, Michael Vick. Speaking about Vick earlier this season, Dungy called the Bills a "dark horse" candidate to acquire him for 2010.

At the very least, if hired by the Bills Dungy would get to choose his own receivers coach. Maybe he'd bring this guy along.

Pinkerton Security
12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
they even admit this is "wildly speculative", but how many other teams could even be contacting him about their coaching vacancy? Am I correct in thinking we're the only one currently with just an interim coach?

Dicknoze69
12-11-2009, 09:25 AM
The link to the ESPN Insider article about Dungy is called "The Bills are going to blow it all up."

A few paragraphs down is this:

"Confirming a rumor that was being bounced around the Internet for about a week, Buffalo Bills receivers coach Tyke Tolbert is leaving the team to take on a similar role at LSU, according to the Buffalo News.

But there's a deeper impact to his departure and its timing, albeit a bit speculative. This horizontal move by Tolbert could mean that there are internal whispers going around the Bills' personnel that a major house-cleaning is on the way, and they should be exploring some other options. We know the team is poised to hire a new head coach, and that new coach will probably want to bring in his own assistants. It's possible that Tolbert -- an LSU alum -- saw this as a sign that he wouldn't have a job in Buffalo next season, and he wanted to make sure he was employed. After all, given the Bills' relative struggles, some of his colleagues might not find their next job so easily."

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Tolbert doesn't deserve a job.

I've never seen such talent at WR do so little.

Say what you want about our QB's but Lee can't beat anybody for a catch and TO is having his worst season ever. Josh Reed is a ghost, Roscoe can't see the field and neither can Steve Johnson.

Wow, this team is just a disaster. It'd be funny if I didn't care so much.

Pinkerton Security
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Say what you want about our QB's but Lee can't beat anybody for a catch and TO is having his worst season ever. Josh Reed is a ghost, Roscoe can't see the field and neither can Steve Johnson.

Dude....you cant downplay our horrible QB's...if we had a legit QB Lee and TO could be pro bowlers.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Dude....you cant downplay our horrible QB's...if we had a legit QB Lee and TO could be pro bowlers.

TO could...Lee is a 1 trick pony. Speed. I don't ever remember him running after a catch, going over the middle, or making a grab in traffic.

He's probably a top 10 wr at the deep ball, and at footwork when it comes to getting feet in bounds.

Our QB's suck, I'm not downplaying it, but I've seen several picks over the last couple years, thrown in Lee's direction, that he should have at least stopped from being picks, god forbid won the battle and made the grab.

His one big play for me was the one vs the Jets, which he only made cuz his BF Losman was back in.

methos4ever
12-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, Whitner can void his contract at the end of the year, so that's one less draft pick for people to complain about....

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Reggie Wayne, Ochocinco, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Hines Ward, Randy Moss, Wes Welker.

Lee ain't ever going to no probowl lol.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, Whitner can void his contract at the end of the year, so that's one less draft pick for people to complain about....

REALLY?!??!?!?!:dance3:

elltrain22
12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
alls I gotta say about Tony Dungy possibly coaching here would be...

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

patmoran2006
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
dungy said it was NOT the bills who contacted him again.

madness
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah, Evans was a bum under Tolbert...

Evans has more receiving yards, is tied for the most receiving TDs and has the second-most receptions than any Bills receiver through his first five seasons…he also has six 70-plus yard TD receptions, a team record and the most in the NFL since 2000

I don't see how Evans would have been any better with an actual decent QB or OL. I do have one bad thing to say about Tolbert, he sure did a patchwork job preparing Colston for the NFL.

Michael82
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Tolbert has been a very underrated coach and will be missed. You guys really don't give Evans enough credit. And don't forget about Reed. He's been our most underrated player on offense for a while. The only reason why our WRs suck sometimes is because we have pathetic bums at QB.

Pinkerton Security
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM

where/when did he say this?

Griff
12-11-2009, 09:51 AM

if we had a legit OL and coach our QB could've been legit.

Griff

Thank Cthulhu.

Pinkerton Security

possibly, but alas none of the above is true.

Demon
12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I respect the Bills trying to go out and spend all on a true football coach but i think their just wasting their time. They would be better off going and getting a football czar to run our football operations and then that person naming a new head coach. Maybe even spend a few extra bucks and hire a pretty good assistant. Trying to get Shanahan, Cowher or Dungy just seems like a waste of time to me.

Michael82
12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Tolbert has been a very underrated coach and will be missed. You guys really don't give Evans enough credit. And don't forget about Reed. He's been our most underrated player on offense for a while. The only reason why our WRs suck sometimes is because we have pathetic bums at QB.

Having said that, I will say that he needed to do a better job of developing the younger WRs and the ones further down the depth chart, like Roscoe Parrish, Steve Johnson, Sam Aiken, James Hardy, Andre Davis, Peerless Price, Justin Jenkins.

Demon
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM

I don't think so. As Jim Kelly said on NFL Network, quit getting QBs who never play in the cold.

Michael82
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I respect the Bills trying to go out and spend all on a true football coach but i think their just wasting their time. They would be better off going and getting a football czar to run our football operations and then that person naming a new head coach. Maybe even spend a few extra bucks and hire a pretty good assistant. Trying to get Shanahan, Cowher or Dungy just seems like a waste of time to me.

How do we know that they aren't putting together a list of GM candidates behind the scenes? Teams don't usually pluck those Personnel guys off teams or even interview until after the season.

Demon
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
How do we know that they aren't putting together a list of GM candidates behind the scenes? Teams don't usually pluck those Personnel guys off teams or even interview until after the season.

Every time they try to go out and talk to a coach, it leaks. Even the former Texans GM who now works for CBS said he's heard if the Bills fail, they will go after several coaches and he named them off. How is everything leaking except our GM search?

The Browns were in the process for a GM search and like 4 names leaked. They were all turned down i believe but still, interviews and talks were leaked.

I have a hard time believing that we're secretly talking to football minds right now for the GM spot.

Ed
12-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Every time they try to go out and talk to a coach, it leaks. Even the former Texans GM who now works for CBS said he's heard if the Bills fail, they will go after several coaches and he named them off. How is everything leaking except our GM search?

The Browns were in the process for a GM search and like 4 names leaked. They were all turned down i believe but still, interviews and talks were leaked.

I have a hard time believing that we're secretly talking to football minds right now for the GM spot.
Who needs a GM when you've got a dynamic trio like Brandon, Modrak, and Guy? :couch:

mchurchfie
12-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't want Dungy, we'll have to put up with that stupid ****ing Cover Two defense again.

HHURRICANE
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd take Dungy. I think he would be great here and only because he's done it twice with two different teams.

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
TO could...Lee is a 1 trick pony. Speed. I don't ever remember him running after a catch, going over the middle, or making a grab in traffic.

He's probably a top 10 wr at the deep ball, and at footwork when it comes to getting feet in bounds.

Our QB's suck, I'm not downplaying it, but I've seen several picks over the last couple years, thrown in Lee's direction, that he should have at least stopped from being picks, god forbid won the battle and made the grab.

His one big play for me was the one vs the Jets, which he only made cuz his BF Losman was back in.

Did you miss the first Jets game?

When do they throw to Lee over the middle? He drops very few passes.

Oh, remember the Jets game last year when Losman bombed it up to Lee and he caught it surrounded by 2 Jets defenders? I would say that's "in traffic."

Kinda weird how both of my examples are against the Jets though.

TigerJ
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
It's virtually a given that when a new head coach is hired, there will be significant turnover on the rest of the coaching staff. If Buffalo hires a big name coach, the turnover is likely to be 100%. No surprise at all that Tolbert would look for greener pastures elsewhere.

cocamide
12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Evans was a bum under Tolbert...

I don't see how Evans would have been any better with an actual decent QB or OL. I do have one bad thing to say about Tolbert, he sure did a patchwork job preparing Colston for the NFL.

This board is about unsubstantiated opinions. Facts just get in the way.

Bill Cody
12-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Dungy may seem dumber with Fitz starting at QB than he was with Manning throwing to Harrison, Wayne and Clark and Freeney and Mathis coming off the edges. Can he bring some talent with him other than dog boy Vick? You can't coach up a **** sandwich into steak. Having said all that bring him on!

Mudflap1
12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Dungy will not come to Buffalo.

1. He is retired, and likes what he is doing, and spending time with his family. He has been thinking of walking away since his son died, and held on for those last couple of years. I think he's done.

2. In the off chance he ever does come back, I think it will be someplace much closer to Tampa. If any of you guys read his book, Tony said that when he was an assistant in Minnesota, his wife absolutely hated it because of the weather. However, they all love Tampa, for obvious reasons. Minnesota and Buffalo have similar weather.

Mudflap1
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Dungy may seem dumber with Fitz starting at QB than he was with Manning throwing to Harrison, Wayne and Clark and Freeney and Mathis coming off the edges. Can he bring some talent with him other than dog boy Vick? You can't coach up a **** sandwich into steak. Having said all that bring him on!

He was successful in Tampa starting with nothing, and having guys like Dilfer and King as his QB.

Bill Cody
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
He was successful in Tampa starting with nothing, and having guys like Dilfer and King as his QB.

I agree. That's why I said bring him on he's a great coach. But it took years (they didn't actually win the SB until he left) and Warren Sapp and that D isn't coming with him either. If he starts 0-2 here you know what the threads will be like.

Block "O"
12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
We need a god-fearing man like Tony Dungy to lead us and he would draft another god-fearing man in Tim Teb-HO. If we fail to pull the trigger on these two it could set us back 50 years IMHO.

Bill Cody
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Dungy will not come to Buffalo.

1. He is retired, and likes what he is doing, and spending time with his family. He has been thinking of walking away since his son died, and held on for those last couple of years. I think he's done.

2. In the off chance he ever does come back, I think it will be someplace much closer to Tampa. If any of you guys read his book, Tony said that when he was an assistant in Minnesota, his wife absolutely hated it because of the weather. However, they all love Tampa, for obvious reasons. Minnesota and Buffalo have similar weather.

I agree with this. But I will say coaching for guys that have won is like a disease. They quit but they usually end up wanting back in. John Madden didn't but he knew the job was killing him. But guys like Parcells, Vermeil, now Cowher and Holmgren couldn't stay retired. So it would surprise me if he came here but not really if he comes back.

Bill Cody
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
We need a god-fearing man like Tony Dungy to lead us and he would draft another god-fearing man in Tim Teb-HO. If we fail to pull the trigger on these two it could set us back 50 years IMHO.

If we pull the trigger on them wouldn't they be dead?

billistic
12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't have espn insider, but there's a story on the main page with the title "The Bills are going to blow it all up." And it says that they have contacted Dungy again. I hadn't heard that they had contacted him in the first place.

Anyway, can someone with insider give us a summary of what the article says? Thanks.
...actually, the title was "The Bills are going to throw it all up."

http://outnumberedtwotoone.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/nausea_smiley.jpg

YardRat
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
LOL at any Tampa2- and 'cadaver' coach-haters pimping Dungy for our HC job.

Tony isn't exactly Mr. Sis-Boom-Bah.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Tony Dungy wouldnt be a bad choice at all. BUT, what are the chances he brings vick with? That worries me

jamze132
12-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't want no Dungy coaching the Bills. Gimme Cowher, Shanahan, or death.

Throne Logic
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
There are two basic categories of coaches: Hard Ass discipline guys and Veteran-Friendly - bring 'em all together and keep 'em all going in the same direction guys.

Marv was the latter, who arrived on scene at just the right time. Dungy is the same type as Marv. He couldn't turn the corner in Tampa because that team was mentally in a place where they needed a hard ass, like Grudin, to help right that ship.

Conversely, Dungy was the perfect fit going into Indy to point all that talent in the same direction. Which is to say, away from the goofy mess left by Mora.

This Buffalo team needs some real disciplining. Although he has his limits, PF has actually dramatically improved this team's focus simply by adding accountability into the mix and sticking to it. The number of stupid mistakes has dropped significantly since the HC change.

Although he is a good man and a good coach, Dungy is not the man for this team at this time.

Oaf
12-12-2009, 02:37 AM
I would take Vick/Dungy immediately.

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 04:01 AM

We need to play for victory not pray for victory.

The next coach could be a devil worshipper as long as he got us to the playoffs.

Drafting Teb-HO will definitely put us back at least 5 years

realdealryan
12-12-2009, 06:00 AM

50 years?

:hitself:

You're aware that NFL players and coaches cycle in and out of the league more quickly than this, right? If prayer and god-fearing players could get you wins, I'd be all for it and we should have brought Ben Utecht in, for example, but that doesn't work in reality.

realdealryan
12-12-2009, 06:56 AM
where/when did he say this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/11/dungy-says-he-was-contacted-thursday-about-an-nfl-job/

realdealryan
12-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Conversely, Dungy was the perfect fit going into Indy to point all that talent in the same direction. Which is to say, away from the goofy mess left by Mora.

Dungy was the perfect fit in that he left the offense alone and was supposed to build the defense, the main downfall of the team the previous year. And with Polian's help he finally got it done 5 years later. Amazing.

Let's see....as soon as Dungy was out of the way, Caldwell canned Tony's defensive coordinator Ron Meeks (Panthers now) and replaced him with Larry Coyer. The defense is completely different this year and has played without Bob Sanders. And they are WAAAAAY better than before. This defense would have won 2-3 more Super Bowls. And for the life of me I don't know what they're doing differently. But it's clear that Dungy(and Meeks), although an intelligent and kind person, was holding them back.

wozrob11
12-12-2009, 09:00 AM
light the fuse baby sad to say but its time

yordad
12-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Wow, this team is just a disaster. It'd be funny if I didn't care so much.The only way Tolbert could help them is if he plays QB or tackle.

yordad
12-12-2009, 09:56 AM
if we had a legit OL and coach our QB could've been legit.Then why do our QBs suck even when they have time after there own audible? Well, Fitz does significantly better then Trent in this area, but still.