PDA

View Full Version : Realistic QB Scenarios for 2010

Akhippo
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
There are three spots up for QBs next year.

Who is out there that we could either get via FA or snag off a team for picks.
How do you think that could happen.
How would you go about restocking the QB spot?

Im not sure of everyone out there but personally I would go after K Kolb. He has shown some pretty good skills and has sat behind a pretty good QB in McNabb.
I would swap firsts with Philly for him, and throw in Trent (not sure contract status)

I would keep Brohm as second
Draft a QB for third.

We have to bring in new talent and im just curious how others would fill all three spots.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
The Eagles aren't giving up Kolb.

THATHURMANATOR
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Eagles won't give up Kolb so what is realistic about this thread?

Beastie Bills
12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd sign a free agent to compete with Brohm, and use every draft pick on OLine, DLine and Linebackers. Maybe a WR too. Then draft a QB in 2011.

I'm thinking David Carr.

EDS
12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd sign a free agent to compete with Brohm, and use every draft pick on OLine, DLine and Linebackers. Maybe a WR too. Then draft a QB in 2011.

I'm thinking David Carr.

I am thinking along the same lines at this point. I would consider using a second or third rounder on a QB if there was someone available that seemed worthwhile, but the emphasis clearly needs to be on OL, DL and LB.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm thinking David Carr.

The thought of David Carr in a Bills uniform is giving me thoughts of slitting my wrist.

Beastie Bills
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
The thought of David Carr in a Bills uniform is giving me thoughts of slitting my wrist.

While I know he has a shaky past, he's looked pretty good in the few times I've seen him play for the Giants. I just want a decent QB to manage the games next year while we build up the lines. Maybe we'll get lucky, and that QB will end up being really good. But most likely we'll need to draft a QB in 2011.

Jeff1220
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I say draft a QB (non-1st rounder) and sign Troy Smith (RFA) to an offer sheet. Get those guys, Brohm, and either Fitzy or Trent in camp. Keep the best 3 guys and start the best one.
If it works out as I'd expect, QB depth would look like this:
Troy Smith > Trent > Rook QB

I could see them keeping Trent over Fitz for three reasons.
1. Money - I'm pretty sure Fitzpatrick will make quite a bit more than Trent in 2010 under their current deals.
2. Age - Trent is a few years younger
3. New coaching staff - won't have any history or bad blood between them, and a lot of coaches like to try redemption projects for ego's sake.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I say draft a QB (non-1st rounder) and sign Troy Smith (RFA) to an offer sheet. Get those guys, Brohm, and either Fitzy or Trent in camp. Keep the best 3 guys and start the best one.
If it works out as I'd expect, QB depth would look like this:
Troy Smith > Trent > Rook QB

I could see them keeping Trent over Fitz for three reasons.
1. Money - I'm pretty sure Fitzpatrick will make quite a bit more than Trent in 2010 under their current deals.
2. Age - Trent is a few years younger
3. New coaching staff - won't have any history or bad blood between them, and a lot of coaches like to try redemption projects for ego's sake.

Is Trent even under contract next season?

I've been under the impression that his deal is done so he can just walk when the season ends, similar to what happened with Losman, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Does anyone know for sure?

BlackMetalNinja
12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
The thought of David Carr in a Bills uniform is giving me thoughts of slitting my wrist.At least he's already familiar with being on his back plenty... :(

Jeff1220
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Is Trent even under contract next season?

I've been under the impression that his deal is done so he can just walk when the season ends, similar to what happened with Losman, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Does anyone know for sure?

According to rotoworld, he's under contract through next season, with a 2010 salary of $550K. He's scheduled to be a FA in 2011, but I'm not sure how that changes with the CBA changes.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
According to rotoworld, he's under contract through next season, with a 2010 salary of $550K. He's scheduled to be a FA in 2011, but I'm not sure how that changes with the CBA changes.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still, if I had a choice, I'd leave Fitz as the backup and can Trent. The sooner he goes, the better.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Eagles won't give up Kolb so what is realistic about this thread?

See? The dude makes a good point, and sorry but with Philly just extending McNabb this year, its not "unrealistic" to think that they could trade Kolb.

I don't want Kolb, but that was a pure douche remark by you in a non-confrontational thread.

I see why you got FIRED.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 02:19 PM
See? The dude makes a good point, and sorry but with Philly just extending McNabb this year, its not "unrealistic" to think that they could trade Kolb.

I don't want Kolb, but that was a pure douche remark by you in a non-confrontational thread.

I see why you got FIRED.

This post is a moron.

The Eagles aren't giving up on Kolb just like the Packers didn't give up on Rodgers.

BillsWin
12-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Kolb is staying in Philly.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
@ rockstar

hello? mcfly? i didnt say they would. its funny how you pull out name calling when all i did was point out that it wasn't "unrealistic" to think that philly could trade kolb.

if mcnabb is still there, you never know, kolb may ask to be traded.

atlanta traded matt shaub for a 2nd rounder.

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
hello? mcfly? i didnt say they would. its funny how you pull out name calling when all i did was point out that it wasn't "unrealistic" to think that philly could trade kolb.

First of all, I didn't call anybody any names.

Second, quote the correct post next time.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
This post is a moron.

The Eagles aren't giving up on Kolb just like the Packers didn't give up on Rodgers.

there ya go.

you called me a moron.

and i edited the post 2 seconds later when i realized the wrong one was quoted.

wow you guys are just unbelievable.

THATHURMANATOR
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM

I see why you got FIRED.
Why did you single Me and not Rockstar..... LEAVE ME ALONE!

THATHURMANATOR
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM
@ rockstar

THIS IS UNREALISTIC!!!!

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Why did you single Me and not Rockstar..... LEAVE ME ALONE!

No. I singled you because you took a nice thread and made a ****y douche bag remark. (That isn't a personal attack, its a description of his statement)

I don't recall you ever posting any good ideas about anything, so why go around criticizing other people?

Yasgur's Farm
1) Jason Campbell - He's improved in each of his 5 years and never had a "bad" season.

2) Brian Brohm - A lot of promise here - When he's ready, we'll know it.

3) Dan LeFevour (or other 3rd rounder) - Never hurts to double your chances and groom 2 QB's.

Build a smash mouth run team and a stingy D via free agancy and the 8 remaining draft picks.

BTW... I'd swap '10 and '11 1st rounders and '11 3rd for #1 this season... Suh is a beast!

The Juice Is Loose
let me guess Dennis Dixon is your big awesome idea lol

Yasgur's Farm
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
let me guess Dennis Dixon is your big awesome idea lolWHAT??

Just cut the crap Juice... you're in the center of every argument on these boards.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
so?

Yasgur's Farm
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
So? You don't see a problem with that?

Not everybody needs to agree with you!

RockStar36
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
there ya go.

you called me a moron.

and i edited the post 2 seconds later when i realized the wrong one was quoted.

wow you guys are just unbelievable.

Read it again. I never said anything about you.

Akhippo
12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Well someone on here was called a moron.
Fine, Philly would never trade their #2 even with McNabb being locked up. It has never happened on any other team.
But i get that it is easier to make a discrediting remark then to interject something credible.

How about draz54's
Campbell
Brohm
Draft Pick

Jeff1220
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow. This thread went into the crapper pretty quickly.

Yasgur's Farm
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Well someone on here was called a moron.
Fine, Philly would never trade their #2 even with McNabb being locked up. It has never happened on any other team.
But i get that it is easier to make a discrediting remark then to interject something credible.

How about draz54's
Campbell
Brohm
Draft PickHonestly... I think Campbell would thrive in a smashmouth offense... His yearly improvement impresses me.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD width="8%" align=left>YEAR</TD><TD width="8%" align=left>TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>CMP</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>RAT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>207</TD><TD>53.1</TD><TD>1297</TD><TD>6.3</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>66</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>76.5</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>250</TD><TD>417</TD><TD>60.0</TD><TD>2700</TD><TD>6.5</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>54</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>77.6</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>315</TD><TD>506</TD><TD>62.3</TD><TD>3245</TD><TD>6.4</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>84.3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2009</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>244</TD><TD>370</TD><TD>65.9</TD><TD>2724</TD><TD>7.4</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>87.7</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD colSpan=2 align=left>Career</TD><TD>48</TD><TD>919</TD><TD>1500</TD><TD>61.3</TD><TD>9966</TD><TD>6.6</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>82.2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD width="8%" align=left>YEAR</TD><TD width="8%" align=left>TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>LOST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>107</TD><TD>4.5</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>36</TD><TD>185</TD><TD>5.1</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>258</TD><TD>5.5</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2009</TD><TD align=left>WAS</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>159</TD><TD>4.7</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD colSpan=2 align=left>Career</TD><TD>48</TD><TD>141</TD><TD>709</TD><TD>5.0</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>49</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Akhippo
12-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Campbell has grown on me. Especially since he may be dumped anyway, or at least its a probability. He seems like def. change of atmosphere candidate. Hes not broken down or small or weak armed. Hes also experienced.

Seems like a better choice over a D Carr or T Smith.

Let Brohm sit behind him and a rookie and let them all learn from a hopefully offensive coach like Shanahan and we may be in business.

Night Train
12-11-2009, 06:44 PM
THIS IS UNREALISTIC!!!!

Get Peyton Manning !

DrGraves
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
well if the eagles are keeping kolb and mcnabb than we should go after vick. sure he might not be the same as he used to be but here are some thoughts to chew on:

1. We have a terrible line, might as well have someone who can move around a little bit.
2. He has a strong arm and could fling it out to evans and umm...
3. He has experience
4. He has experience winning
5. He will produce better results sooner than a rookie.

YardRat
12-11-2009, 08:45 PM
There isn't dick out there next year for FA.

I don't want to trade any high picks for another 'could be'. A semi-solid older vet that gets cut, Brohm, and either Fitz or Edwards (although it's doubtful either would want to settle for #3 unless it's Brohm). Also depends on whether or not Brohm gets a chance to show anything on the field this season.

I also don't want to waste a high draft pick on a QB this season just 'because'. If somebody falls to us (without trading up) fine, but I can wait another season to get a rookie.

Akhippo
12-12-2009, 03:48 AM
There isn't dick out there next year for FA.

I don't want to trade any high picks for another 'could be'. A semi-solid older vet that gets cut, Brohm, and either Fitz or Edwards (although it's doubtful either would want to settle for #3 unless it's Brohm). Also depends on whether or not Brohm gets a chance to show anything on the field this season.

I also don't want to waste a high draft pick on a QB this season just 'because'. If somebody falls to us (without trading up) fine, but I can wait another season to get a rookie.

We get all the "dont wants", so what would be your course of action or solution. Or I guess what do you see happening for next year.

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Hope that we pick about 5th and that teams are worried about Bradford's arm.

Trade down with the 49ers, giving up picks to equal the draft value, and look to draft Bruce Campbell and Sam Bradford.

The franchise is set for the next 10years on the offence at least

YardRat
12-12-2009, 05:27 AM
We get all the "dont wants", so what would be your course of action or solution. Or I guess what do you see happening for next year.

Too tough to try to lay out a scenario right now...too early and too many ??'s. A lot is going to depend on who the head coach is, who the football GM is, if Brohm gets any PT and how he performs, etc.

I do think Edwards is gone though, regardless of anything else.

dannyek71
12-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Marc Bulger

casdhf
12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Campbell reminds me of Rob Johnson for some reason. :ill:

Don't Panic
12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Even as a TRent supporter, I fully realize he needs to go now. It will be next to impossible to create a situation here where he can thrive... plus, I'm leaning against ever going with a QB who doesn't have good arm strength ever again.

Campbell seems to be the only viable FA option... there's just not much out there at this point. That could change, though. I want a guy with a big arm, and he has that.

I would lean Bradford if we went the draft route at this point.

Fitz and Brohm could definitely stay as the 2nd and 3rd string, so the question becomes do we go FA or draft. FA comes first, so it will depend on where we finish and what we feel will be there when we draft. And it obviously is going to come down to the preference of the new Bills brass. Either option...

Campbell, Fitz, Brohm

Bradford, Fitz, Brohm

...would work for me.

Nighthawk
12-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Does anybody know the contract situation of Thigpen in Miami? Now that is a guy that I would not mind seeing the Bills bring in. He showed some talent last year when he was given a chance to play in KC.

wozrob11
12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
campbell ,carr,kolb wow you are all crazy!!!! i have a realistic scenario do everything possiable to get clauson start him day one!!! or go after those clowns you call the future of the buffalo bills the time to act is now and in the first round we are gonna get a decent pick lets not blow it even if not clauson get a qb we are gonna worse before we get better so lets start fresh now with franchise QB

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Does anybody know the contract situation of Thigpen in Miami? Now that is a guy that I would not mind seeing the Bills bring in. He showed some talent last year when he was given a chance to play in KC.
I agree, he was on fire and then he just got kicked to the curb for Matt Cassel, and now he's under Pat White on Miami's depth chart.

Just as a brainstorm I'm gonna take a few seconds and make a list right here of any real QB options that are currently in the NFL

Daunte Culpepper
David Carr
Kevin Kolb
Dennis Dixon
Troy Smith
Alex Smith might become available?
Mark Bulger might
Jason Campbell
Matt Hasselbeck might become available?

Hmm, I can't think of any others that might become available, and a few of those guys aren't even actually available, so we'd have to trade for them.

I was always a Culpepper fan, and this week he's getting the start against a good defense, so he may be worth a look. He was bad in Miami but he was hurt still. He looked like a soldier in Oakland and got them some wins. Of all the veteran rehash type guys, honestly, he'd be one of my favorite choices.

Cannon arm, pretty mobile, not that old, wouldn't cost a lot.

The reason I don't want Jason Campbell is he's pretty much just another Trent Edwards or JP Losman to me. Just because he can manage a respectable statline doesn't mean anything to me, the guy finds a way to lose. He plays great for 3 quarters and then blows the game in the 4th. If he was worth anything, he wouldn't be just walking out of Washington for nothing in return.

The more I read up and watch on this draft, the less I want all of them. Bradford hasn't really played in 2 years and has had 2 shoulder injuries to his throwing arm. That's like taking a pregnant girl on a date! Is there a bigger red flag for a QB than a shoulder injury?

I dont like McCoy, don't like Pike, haven't watched Locker. I just think this draft has 300+ lbs per pick for us. I really hope so. I wanna get big and strong and mean and run the ball.

What do you guys think of Culpepper as a stop gap?

Luisito23
12-12-2009, 10:06 AM
LOL...Yeah, good luck with your boy Culpepper.

Commissioner
12-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Bring in Vick as a stop gap..... and draft a future franchise QB... look at Pike or Mallet or Locker.

and what's the deal with Brohm... the guy couldn't get off the practice squad and people have him competing for a job with Fitzpatrick next year? Looks like Bills fans are happy with crap at QB.

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
LOL...Yeah, good luck with your boy Culpepper.

?? Whats wrong with Culpepper? When he's gotten out there he's played better than our QB's and he's on the Lions!

I'd definately take him over Vick. IDK if you guys have watched Vick play this year but it's been HORRIBLE.

Luisito23
12-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd be willing to give Jason Campbell a chance. He's not as bad as people make him out to be, and we won't have to waste any picks in order to get him.

Luisito23
12-12-2009, 10:22 AM
?? Whats wrong with Culpepper?

He's old, and washed up.

TedMock
12-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Campbell is making it harder on Washington not to re-sign him now. That's good for us. Before the season they tried like heck to dump him, but his inconsistent play hurt his value. Going back to college he's played in several new systems. He finally had the same system this year and he has looked pretty good the last 4 or 5 weeks. Couple that with the draft being shallow in that position and the weak free agent market, and you may see Washington turn around and try to keep him. If they finish lower than us, it at least keeps another QB on the board. I personally think Bradford is the only one I would take a chance on in the first. The injuries are certainly scary, but he plays with the best fundamentals and attitude. He just needs more consistancy in my opinion. I think Clauson will be an "ok" QB. He'll be a starter, but he'll be what he is & without much upside. He won't carry a team to victory. He's not the same mold as a Pennington or Delhomme, for example, but I see him being that type of QB - if that makes sense. He also telegraphs quite a bit - too much for my liking. Just my opinion. Otherwise I would rake a flier on Hiller or another fundamentally sound QB in the mid rounds. I would still really like to see what we have with Brohm. We may not have to draft a QB at all if he shows any promise. That's still a huge "if," of course.

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Campbell is making it harder on Washington not to re-sign him now. That's good for us. Before the season they tried like heck to dump him, but his inconsistent play hurt his value. Going back to college he's played in several new systems. He finally had the same system this year and he has looked pretty good the last 4 or 5 weeks. Couple that with the draft being shallow in that position and the weak free agent market, and you may see Washington turn around and try to keep him. If they finish lower than us, it at least keeps another QB on the board. I personally think Bradford is the only one I would take a chance on in the first. The injuries are certainly scary, but he plays with the best fundamentals and attitude. He just needs more consistancy in my opinion. I think Clauson will be an "ok" QB. He'll be a starter, but he'll be what he is & without much upside. He won't carry a team to victory. He's not the same mold as a Pennington or Delhomme, for example, but I see him being that type of QB - if that makes sense. He also telegraphs quite a bit - too much for my liking. Just my opinion. Otherwise I would rake a flier on Hiller or another fundamentally sound QB in the mid rounds. I would still really like to see what we have with Brohm. We may not have to draft a QB at all if he shows any promise. That's still a huge "if," of course.

This could work for us.

If fewer teams are looking to draft QBs, then they will fall, and other teams will look to move up to grab other players - potentially we could trade down and still get a QB - in a hypothetical draft scenario

1. TB - no QB needed so Suh
2. Cle - Quinn has stepped up so QB might be overtaken by another need such as LB or WR - Bryant WR, Morgan OLB/DE become interesting
3. Stl - First QB off the board
4. Det - No QB - possible OT but need a DT so potentially McCoy
5. Was - with Campbell stepping up, LT? Okung?
6. Buf - trade down with 49ers who move up to pick ... Eric Berry
7. KC - ILB Rolando McClain
8. Oak - QB ... would Davis go for the more reliable Bradford or the more athletic Locker?
9. BUFFALO - SAM BRADFORD QB
10. Den - Terrance Cody NT to get their giant man in the middle
11. Sea - CB Joe Haden
12. Hou - FS Earl Thomas
12. BUFFALO - BRUCE CAMPBELL LT

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 11:10 AM
NO BRADFORD!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT A QB WHO HASN'T PLAYED IN 2 YEARS AND HAD SHOULDER SURGERY?!

Are you gonna pay $30K for a used Caddy?

No!

Why pay $30 million for an injurred QB. Thats like drafting McGahee. No way. No no no no no no no no!

JUST SAY NO TO BRADFORD!! (plus he's not that good to begin with)

Yasgur's Farm
12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd be willing to give Jason Campbell a chance. He's not as bad as people make him out to be, and we won't have to waste any picks in order to get him.Campbell vs Edwards...
300 passing yard games - 6 vs ZERO
200 passing yard games - 26 (54%) vs 11 (35%)
Passing yards per game - 207.6 vs 177.4
Passing TD's per game - 1.04 vs .77
INT's per game - .73 vs .81
Coins left in the purse - 2 vs ZERO

These are very substantial differences people.

TedMock
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
NO BRADFORD!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT A QB WHO HASN'T PLAYED IN 2 YEARS AND HAD SHOULDER SURGERY?!

No!

Why pay $30 million for an injurred QB. Thats like drafting McGahee. No way. No no no no no no no no!

Bradford is not my top choice for us. I'm just saying he's the only QB I would take in the top 10. Yes, his injuries are scary & he's not my top choice, but if we go that route he's better than Clauson, Pike, McCoy, etc. He may also be like Adrian Peterson after the injury. It really depends on what the doctors say. If they feel his shoulder is weak, then no way, obviously. Ideally we can find a trade partner & move down.

The Jokeman
12-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree, he was on fire and then he just got kicked to the curb for Matt Cassel, and now he's under Pat White on Miami's depth chart.

Just as a brainstorm I'm gonna take a few seconds and make a list right here of any real QB options that are currently in the NFL

Daunte Culpepper
David Carr
Kevin Kolb
Dennis Dixon
Troy Smith
Alex Smith might become available?
Mark Bulger might
Jason Campbell
Matt Hasselbeck might become available?

What do you guys think of Culpepper as a stop gap?

Nice short list but there are a few more that might be added. Yet one thing, I can't see Alex Smith being available as he's played well of late and looks like he might have turned things around. All the more reason we might be too quick to dismiss Trent Edwards. That said if do go another way other names that might become available could be:

Chad Pennington, His inability to stay healthy is my only concern with him. As to me he's a savvy veteran who manages games well and a proven winner. Though at 33 he's no young chicken. Yet if only looking for a caretaker QB he might be the best one out there.

Shaun Hill, if Smith is the guy for the 49ers then Hill could be available since they have Nate Davis to ride the pine.

Derek Anderson, it looks like Mangini likes Quinn but that could change by years end. Yet not sure if he's better then Trent Edwards.

Jake Delhomme, I can't see Carolina keeping him around. I suspect they'll take a QB in the top 2 Rounds of the draft.

Chris Redman, he's been half way decent in Atlanta but can't see us pushing hard for him.

Byron Leftwich, his slow delivery isn't a good thing with a young O-line.

Kerry Collins, may or may not be available but a band aid doesn't fix the deep cut we have at QB.

Ultimately I think Trent Edwards is still our best option at QB unless the new regime finds a QB they like better in Round 2 (or after) of the draft.

Yasgur's Farm
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I've seen enough of Trent... I think the players have as well.

YardRat
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd be OK with Delhomme or Pennington...hell maybe even Vick...regardless of any of their strengths or weaknesses, they all have produced in some manner in the past.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 06:34 AM
NO BRADFORD!!

No!

Not played for two years?

Who was the guy called Sam Bradford who started 14 games last season, completing 320 passes for 4721 yds, 50TDs and 6Ints winning the Heisman?

This year, Bradford actually played in 2 games completing 37 passes for 485 yds and 2 TDs.

The problem is Bradford came back too early had a good games against Baylor and the reinjured the shoulder. The injury might not have actually needed surgery, but they elected to go that route to remove any lingering problems before starting his pro-career.

Thats 16 games in the last two years, no zero games.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 06:35 AM
By the way, the shoulder injury was so serious, the surgery took an entire 35mins

Beastie Bills
12-13-2009, 08:51 AM
campbell ,carr,kolb wow you are all crazy!!!! i have a realistic scenario do everything possiable to get clauson start him day one!!! or go after those clowns you call the future of the buffalo bills the time to act is now and in the first round we are gonna get a decent pick lets not blow it even if not clauson get a qb we are gonna worse before we get better so lets start fresh now with franchise QB

You're crazy if you think we can draft a rookie QB, start him day 1, and get results that are any different than what we've gotten since Bledsoe was cut.

We need to build the OLine before we even think about drafting a QB. We should also address the Defense front-7 first too.

Draft a QB in 2011. Build the lines, and bring in the best of this crappy Free Agent QB class in the mean time.

Beastie Bills
12-13-2009, 08:59 AM

I really liked Thigpen when he was in KC. I can't believe the Chiefs traded for Cassel. Haha. Thigpen is better.

Thigpen has one year left on his contract, he'll be a free agent in 2011. I doubt the dolphins would just cut him with one year left on his contract. He is only getting paid $550,000 next season, so it doesn't cost them anything to keep him on the roster.

That being said, they gave up a 5th for him, so maybe they'd trade him to us for a 4th.

The Juice Is Loose
12-13-2009, 09:12 AM
I'd like Thigpen.

And my Bradford not playing in 2 years comment can be explained as, whoopty doo, he threw 37 passes in 2009. Great. I threw more.

He's had shoulder surgery since he last played football. So you have no information on what may be.

He maybe played in a bowl game around news, then he played Sept Oct Nov the year before. The season doesn't start til Sept.

So, sorry, he's thrown 37 passes in actual games in the last year and change.

That's not good enough to skip picking a stud OT for Bradford to give us exactly what we had in JP.

Bradford is not going to be a good NFL qb. Thats my own intuition, I have a strong feeling on it.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 09:14 AM
You're crazy if you think we can draft a rookie QB, start him day 1, and get results that are any different than what we've gotten since Bledsoe was cut.

We need to build the OLine before we even think about drafting a QB. We should also address the Defense front-7 first too.

Draft a QB in 2011. Build the lines, and bring in the best of this crappy Free Agent QB class in the mean time.

It could be quite possible for us to draft a QB in R1 and if we have an intelligent GM on board move up and get a starting LT as well.

The OL does not need rebuilding. It is missing one key component the LT.

Whilst it is unlikely we can sign McNeill, Adam Terry is a FA out of Baltimore and it is likely Tony Ugoh will be cut. If we have a Head Coach like Russ Grimm, they should be more than adequate starters at LT.

The QBs in 2011 are not likely to be better than this year. After all, this years group are virtually all juniors, so next years will lack depth unless more juniors come out then

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 09:20 AM
I'd like Thigpen.

And my Bradford not playing in 2 years comment can be explained as, whoopty doo, he threw 37 passes in 2009. Great. I threw more.

He's had shoulder surgery since he last played football. So you have no information on what may be.

He maybe played in a bowl game around news, then he played Sept Oct Nov the year before. The season doesn't start til Sept.

So, sorry, he's thrown 37 passes in actual games in the last year and change.

That's not good enough to skip picking a stud OT for Bradford to give us exactly what we had in JP.

Bradford is not going to be a good NFL qb. Thats my own intuition, I have a strong feeling on it.

Bradford's injury was not so serious as he was initally able to come back before injuring it again. A decision was then taken by the coaching staff and him to have it properly fixed in an operation which only took 35mins. It was not to repair a break, or a tear, but precautionary to ensure a 'sprain' which had occured twice would not lead to something worse.

The Doctor who undertook the operation described it as textbook with no complications at all.

Personally I think we can draft both a stud QB and a stud LT. I would be prepared to go QB, and then trade my 2nd and next years 1st to get a second R1 pick. After all the top juniors are in this years class, so the well could well be dry next year.

I have had a serious shoulder operation after a rugby injury and believe me, it took a lot longer than 35mins.

Beastie Bills
12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
It could be quite possible for us to draft a QB in R1 and if we have an intelligent GM on board move up and get a starting LT as well.

If we trade up, I hope it's so we can draft both a LT and a RT.

The OL does not need rebuilding. It is missing one key component the LT.

This is the kind of thinking that's caused us to miss the playoffs for 10 years. The OLine ABSOLUTELY needs rebuilding. We are set a Guard, but we need two Tackles and a Center. I like Butler, but we need some competition at RT. And we've all seen how our Linemen can't stay healthy, so we need lots of starting-caliber depth. And I like Hangartner, but he's just not good enough. We need an above average Center if we're gonna be able to run against the Nose Tackles in our division. We get no push up front, especially in the middle, and I don't think our Guards are the problem.

Whilst it is unlikely we can sign McNeill, Adam Terry is a FA out of Baltimore and it is likely Tony Ugoh will be cut. If we have a Head Coach like Russ Grimm, they should be more than adequate starters at LT.

I don't want any of them. Teams don't let good linemen walk. It just doesn't happen. There is a shortage of good linemen in the league, so if a team happens to have one, they hold onto him (or maybe trade him).

If a lineman is a Free Agent, he sucks.