PDA

View Full Version : Could the Bills draft Suh?

Beastie Bills
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I didn't hear the interview, but I saw this post on the other Boards, and figured it was worth posting over here....

Mel Kiper: Bills really like Shu and might trade up <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> ESPN radio, WOW!

"Buffalo is a perfect fit and the Bills really-really like the guy"
"Seems like everywhere he goes, the Bills scouts are around him"
"It won't be cheap....... but I could see the Bills trading up" -Mel Kiper

EDS
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I didn't hear the interview, but I saw this post on the other Boards, and figured it was worth posting over here....

Mel Kiper: Bills really like Shu and might trade up <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> ESPN radio, WOW!

"Buffalo is a perfect fit and the Bills really-really like the guy"
"Seems like everywhere he goes, the Bills scouts are around him"
"It won't be cheap....... but I could see the Bills trading up" -Mel Kiper

I don't think I would complain if it happened but realistically the Bills don't have the luxury/resources to trade up.

Demon
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Once again i have to ask- who likes Suh in Buffalo? Last i checked, we havn't hired any coach or GM and more then likley our scouting staff will be new too. Kiper is full of it. I hope it happens because i like Suh but he's just pulling things out of his butt to sound smart.

Beastie Bills
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Once again i have to ask- who likes Suh in Buffalo? Last i checked, we havn't hired any coach or GM and more then likley our scouting staff will be new too. Kiper is full of it. I hope it happens because i like Suh but he's just pulling things out of his butt to sound smart.

I'm not holding my breath.

FlyingDutchman
12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
id absolutely love him here, but he'll probably go #1 overall so it would take a ton to trade up to get him. we need help in so many areas it probably wouldnt be worth it or doable

TheBrownBear
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
He'd be awesome here, but I wouldn't trade too much away to move up. Let's just pray that Bucs, Rams, Lions and Browns win out...lol.

Prov401
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I would absolutley love Suh here.

However, unless a QB seriously shows signs of being a franchise QB in the combine (unlikely IMO), I want McCoy in a Bills uni.

BillsWin
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Suh is the best player in the draft. A game changer and the solution to our run D woes. However the Bills are in no position to move up to the 1-3 spot where he will be. Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if he makes it past Cleveland at one.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
another great thing would be that Suh has the same body type as Stroud

my point there is that Stroud would certainly be able to mentor him some.

i realize stroud is past his prime, so don't call me names for saying Stroud could show Suh the ropes.

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
He'd be awesome here, but I wouldn't trade too much away to move up. Let's just pray that Bucs, Rams, Lions and Browns win out...lol.

The only way the Browns win out is if they played the Bills for the next 3 games...

Mahdi
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I dont think giving up draft picks is a good idea. This is a team void of talent and we need our picks.

If Suh falls to us between 5-8 then great. Not likely though obviously.

yordad
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Forgive me for asking, but when was the last time a rookie DT walked into the NFL as as stud, or made a sizeable rookie impact? I sear every year the next big DT gets drafted, but I rarely see them pan out as planned.

Demon
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
The only way the Browns win out is if they played the Bills for the next 3 games...

I've heard several Browns fans today on forums and in person tell me they "grown up" and that was their turnaround. I am not sure why anybody would believe that. Despite beating Pittsburgh, they are still the worst team in the league. Their QB is awful and defending champion or not, the Steelers lost to Kansas City, Oakland AND Cleveland this season. They have obvious problems on their team. It wasn't the Browns winning last night, but Pittsburgh losing. Brownies won't win another game.

Yasgur's Farm
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd give '10 1st rounder and '11 1st and 3rd.

patmoran2006
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Bills dont have the luxury to trade up. that would be insane.

Having said that, IF I had the first pick of the draft I'd take Suh

Demon
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Forgive me for asking, but when was the last time a rookie DT walked into the NFL as as stud, or made a sizeable rookie impact? I sear every year the next big DT gets drafted, but I rarely see them pan out as planned.

Haloti Ngata for Baltimore in the 06 draft.
Amobi Okoye for Houston in the 07 draft.
Glenn Dorsey for KC in the 08 draft.

Each were top DT selected in the draft.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:46 PM

2009-BJ Raji
2008-Sedrick Ellis
2007-Omobi Okoye (was 19 when drafted. its taken a couple years but he's coming into his own)
2006-Haloti Ngata
2005-Travis Johnson (traded to San Diego, not too successful)
2005 Luis Castillo
2004-Vince Wilfork, Tommie Harris,

So, out of 8 first round DT's in the last 7 drafts, I'd say 6 or 7 are on track to live up to their billing.

So, I would summize from that, that DT is probably one of the most successfully drafted positions in the NFL over the last 7 years. At least in the first round.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Haloti Ngata for Baltimore in the 06 draft.
Amobi Okoye for Houston in the 07 draft.
Glenn Dorsey for KC in the 08 draft.

Each were top DT selected in the draft.

Dorsey has been considered a bust to this point...at least vs. what people expected.

Beastie Bills

Well obviously, I don't expect him to walk onto an NFL field and perform like a stud, as a rookie. It will take a year or two.

yordad
2009-BJ Raji
2008-Sedrick Ellis
2007-Omobi Okoye (was 19 when drafted. its taken a couple years but he's coming into his own)
2006-Haloti Ngata
2005 Luis Castillo

So, out of 8 first round DT's in the last 7 drafts, I'd say 6 or 7 are on track to live up to their billing.

So, I would summize from that, that DT is probably one of the most successfully drafted positions in the NFL over the last 7 years. At least in the first round.The '04s and Ngata I would agree with at present, but they didn't "walk in" like that, IMO.

yordad
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Well obviously, I don't expect him to walk onto an NFL field and perform like a stud, as a rookie. It will take a year or two.Well from what I hear he would supposively instintly shore up our run D.

Demon
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
2009-BJ Raji
2008-Sedrick Ellis
2006-Haloti Ngata
2005 Luis Castillo

So, I would summize from that, that DT is probably one of the most successfully drafted positions in the NFL over the last 7 years. At least in the first round.

DT are def up there as safe bets. I'd say offensive tackles are too. Levi Brown, Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Branden Albert, and not sure how the tackles from last year have played but Michael Oher has been good for the Ravens.

Mahdi
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I dont think giving up draft picks is a good idea. This is a team void of talent and we need our picks.

If Suh falls to us between 5-8 then great. Not likely though obviously.
Shaun Rogers, Tommie Harris, Kris Jenkins, Casey Hampton... many more.

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
The '04s and Ngata I would agree with at present, but they didn't "walk in" like that, IMO.

Castillo did, and Raji has thusfar.

Ellis is tearing it up this year, his 2nd year. That's good enough.

Beastie Bills
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Well from what I hear he would supposively instintly shore up our run D.

Not according to me. Anybody who expects a linemen, offense or defense, to step in and immediately perform like a stud is insane. It may happen once in a great while, but you're crazy if you bank on it.

TigerJ
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
At this point in time Suh is the odds on favorite to be drafted first overall. Maybe he'll sprain an ankle and have a terrible combine, but I'm not counting on the Bills getting him.

ParanoidAndroid
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
another great thing would be that Suh has the same body type as Stroud

my point there is that Stroud would certainly be able to mentor him some.

i realize stroud is past his prime, so don't call me names for saying Stroud could show Suh the ropes.

Stop thanking yourself with that alias.

Bill Cody
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
No suh

ArcticWildMan
12-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Trade 1st round pick with Cleveland and throw in Lynch???

jamze132
12-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Just another reason on the extremely long list of reasons I can't stand Kiper. Spouting off about teams trading up already. Why the **** does ESPN employ this douche? Oh yeah, nevermind.

Block "O"
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I hope he doesn't get thrown into a 3-4 DT spot whoever does draft him.

Nighthawk
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Is he going to play LB...because unless he can, I don't see how he solves any of the problems on the defensive side of the ball.

clumping platelets
12-11-2009, 10:34 PM
:pray:

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Is he going to play LB...because unless he can, I don't see how he solves any of the problems on the defensive side of the ball.

Are you talking about Suh? He plays defensive tackle.

But the main reply I wanted to make is that I hope we don't trade up for a defensive tackle. I feel the more pressing need is offensive tackle.

But on the other hand, if the d tackle has more overall potential than the o tackle you have to take the D tackle.

its gotta be tough drafting. weighing overall quality vs need. i wish that we were well built and had the luxury of taking the BPA

Nighthawk
12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Are you talking about Suh? He plays defensive tackle.

But the main reply I wanted to make is that I hope we don't trade up for a defensive tackle. I feel the more pressing need is offensive tackle.

But on the other hand, if the d tackle has more overall potential than the o tackle you have to take the D tackle.

its gotta be tough drafting. weighing overall quality vs need. i wish that we were well built and had the luxury of taking the BPA

Umm...that's my point...

The Juice Is Loose
12-11-2009, 11:11 PM
You don't see how adding a potentially dominant defensive tackle to the team couldn't help on the defensive side of the ball?

I'm not instigating I just don't understand?

Nighthawk
12-11-2009, 11:13 PM
You don't see how adding a potentially dominant defensive tackle to the team couldn't help on the defensive side of the ball?

I'm not instigating I just don't understand?

It's not the biggest need. Would I hate the pick...no, because he's a hell of a player, but I would not trade valuable draft picks to go get him.

casdhf
12-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Tommie Harris is a freak. He just cannot stay healthy.

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Shaun Rogers, Tommie Harris, Kris Jenkins, Casey Hampton... many more.

Rogers and Jenkins were second round picks.

There are quite a few guys in the second and third rounds who could seriously interest us as this seems a deep draft

Jared Odrick
Mike Neal
Dan Williams
Arthur Jones
Vince Oghobaase

and if they come out

Brian Price
Allen Bailey
Cameron Heyward.

Suh is awesome, but considering how much we'd need to give up, one injury away from having the type of devasting impact we don't want

YardRat
12-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Despite the team not having a very solid recent history of success w/trading up to get a player I'd certainly be looking into the possibility to jump up and get Suh. Draft picks are too valuable at this point, but if they can find a sucker to take live bodies instead I say go for it.

ddaryl
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I have no problems with the BIlls making a move to get Suh... This guy is a game changer, and we need any help we can get on the DL...

Ed
12-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Just because Buffalo's future is up in the air doesn't mean all our scouts and front office have stopped working. They still all have a job to do right now and they're still all getting paid.

I LOVE the idea of getting Suh, but I don't know about trading up to get him. I guess it would all depend on how much we had to give up and what we were able to accomplish in free agency to fill other holes.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
i wouldn't complain if they do trade up to get him. i think he would look great next to Stroud and would start immediately. those are the players that this team needs.

Beastie Bills
12-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Right, because our 32'nd ranked run defense has absolutely NOTHING to do with our defense line.

:bf1:

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
i wouldn't complain if they do trade up to get him. i think he would look great next to Stroud and would start immediately. those are the players that this team needs.

Let me go on the record that Kyle Williams and Ndamukong Suh would be a better match than Stroud & Suh. Sorry, I understand I'm a minority here, that's fine, but I'll take Kyle Williams over Stroud all day, every day. Just single out Kyle Williams, I have been for the last 2 seasons, he is better than Stroud.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 04:53 AM
NO

No matter how good you are, you are going to wear down and be ineffective in the 4th quarter if your offence cannot stay on the field long enough to give you any respite.

We have no balance at the moment. Two picks at QB and LT will give the current group of defensive players the time to rest between series which will automatically improve their effectiveness and lessen the susceptibility to injury.

Night Train
12-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Let's hope the teams ahead of the Bills are blinded by overrated QB's, like many here.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Every year in the draft there are 'overrated' QB.

That is because seldom is made available a top QB in free agency.

Like at all positions, the draft is a lottery. Everyone is delirious about Suh but there is a chance he'll be a flop.

ddaryl
12-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Like at all positions, the draft is a lottery. Everyone is delirious about Suh but there is a chance he'll be a flop.

the draft is no where's near a lottery. Good skill evaluation is all that it takes to improve your odds of success dramatically