PDA

View Full Version : If I was a coach I'd want this job

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I hate how the perception is that coaches wouldn't want this gig. It may be true, but I don't think it should be.

This team is prime for someone to come in and take tons of credit and become a hero to a city that is passionate for its football team. The Bills are a famous team, they are North America's team, and I personally feel if we started kicking teams asses, we'd be just as popular as any other teams out there.

You think anybody gave a damn about the Colts in 1996? Outside of Indiana? No way, Peyton Manning made them relevant and got them a new stadium.

If we end up with the next superstar QB or the next team that makes the playoffs regularly, people will like the Bills as much as they do any other team.

My point is, this team has a good nucleus of young players, and whether you want to bring a 3-4 or 4-3 we have a good amount of personnel for a coach to roll with. We have a ton of cap space and an owner that is at least acting like he wants to win and win now.

If a coach came in here, he'd be a good free agency and good draft away from a playoff team. I still feel that if we get a stud LT, we get Wood back and Levitre gets better, we can have a solid run game. If we can run the ball, our QB play should automatically improve.

IDK, I just think if I was a coach, I'd feel that out of Washington, Cleveland, or even Houston, I'd have more $ at my disposal to build a great team, right here in Buffalo.

As long as whoever we hire is able to do the job the right way, this is a great job to take IMO. And if you win a Super Bowl, I don't feel the long term stability of the team would be an issue, this country is a band wagon country, if the Bills won the Superbowl they'd be selling jerseys in L.A., Toronto and Texas.

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 09:17 AM
100% agree

ddaryl
12-12-2009, 09:40 AM
What you forget is that we have Ralph Wilosn and his meddling ways.

It is Ralph's meddling that lost us Bill Polian. It is Ralph's meddling that has caused us to be one of the biggest loser franchises the last decade

Any new HC/GM is going to want control and not want Ralph's input IMO, and I don't think Ralph is anywheres near capable of keeping his hands off of the team...

So it comes down to Ralph pretty much stepping aside and being the owner but having NOTHING to do with team operations... Otherwise I see all the best candidates telling Ralph "Thanks, but no thanks"

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 10:26 AM
What you forget is that we have Ralph Wilosn and his meddling ways.

It is Ralph's meddling that lost us Bill Polian. It is Ralph's meddling that has caused us to be one of the biggest loser franchises the last decade

Any new HC/GM is going to want control and not want Ralph's input IMO, and I don't think Ralph is anywheres near capable of keeping his hands off of the team...

So it comes down to Ralph pretty much stepping aside and being the owner but having NOTHING to do with team operations... Otherwise I see all the best candidates telling Ralph "Thanks, but no thanks"

Well what's the difference between Ralph and Dan Snyder? Snyder goes out and blows money, puts the team in cap hell, gives guys like Portis contracts where, they can't even cut him next year because his cap hit is so big. They have 100 million tied up in Haynesworth, no QB, and an owner who has no problem firing a HOF worthy coach after 1 season (Shottenheimer)

Cleveland just fired their GM mid season and is about to fire a coach after 1 and done. They have no QB, no weapons, and the worst defense in the league. They're best player just had season ending surgery.

I can see why Cowher wants Carolina, that's fine, and I can see that Shanahan would want Chicago, that's fine. But beyond those 2 guys I don't know why anybody would choose Cleveland or Washington over us. We're willing to give the $, and almost all owners meddle.

ddaryl
12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I can see why Cowher wants Carolina, that's fine, and I can see that Shanahan would want Chicago, that's fine. But beyond those 2 guys I don't know why anybody would choose Cleveland or Washington over us. We're willing to give the $, and almost all owners meddle.

I guess we are about to see how the league's availables view Ralph , the Bills, and the present FO

and are we willing to pay out the $$$$. I'll beleive that when it goes down... BUT the bottom line is the more proven the available coach is the more control that coach is going to want, and I have trouble believing Ralph can keep his fingers out of the pie

that being said I sincerely hope your are correct and we do get some choice in who we can bring in, and we do get significant change at GM and coaching and the entire decision making process, because obvioulsy that has been the problem.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
a lot of football coaches would love to have a gig as an NFL HC. the situation in Buffalo appears to be more different than most though. the owner doesn't give anybody a chance to succeed because he meddles and penny pinches. a coach isn't given any kind of fair chance to be successful when you have those two things working against you.

bigbub2352
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
i started this thread yesterday completely agree
Forget about the Doom and Gloom this is what is Attractive to our next Head Coach/GM (http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=183976)

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Think about it, we can add 4-8 solid players this year through the draft and free agency. Most years in the past we've had to deal with losses....Peters, Fletcher, Spikes, Clements etc.

Who do we lose this year? Nobody important.

We should be able to take our 8 worst players and turn them into 8 of our top 20 players.

Ingtar33
12-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I am a coach and i want this job. but the fan-base would go insane if i was hired. absolutely nuts with rage.

I don't think i could possibly do worse then the last group of losers we've hired... frankly. i think I'd do pretty good.

The problem is... the fan-base would give me or any coach in my class 2 years tops. I hate to tell you all, but 2 years might not be enough for a normal coach to turn this mess around.

he'd need a better front office (much better) to stand a chance. I'm not arrogant enough to assume that my eye for talent (as good as i think it is) would be good enough to get us 2 straight A+ draft classes... not without "better" help from the front office then past coaches have got from this mess. I'm sorry... apart from Bill Polian everyone makes mistakes in the draft (and free agency), which is why I'd like some solid backup... i know a few guys around the league I'd like to bring in...

either way... i can see why a superbowl winning A+ coach wouldn't want this job. Front office situation is a joke. we only play 7 games at home, and the ownership situation could be turned into a mess (and your job over) the moment Ralph passes.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I am a coach and i want this job. but the fan-base would go insane if i was hired. absolutely nuts with rage.

I don't think i could possibly do worse then the last group of losers we've hired... frankly. i think I'd do pretty good.

The problem is... the fan-base would give me or any coach in my class 2 years tops. I hate to tell you all, but 2 years might not be enough for a normal coach to turn this mess around.

he'd need a better front office (much better) to stand a chance. I'm not arrogant enough to assume that my eye for talent (as good as i think it is) would be good enough to get us 2 straight A+ draft classes... not without "better" help from the front office then past coaches have got from this mess. I'm sorry... apart from Bill Polian everyone makes mistakes in the draft (and free agency), which is why I'd like some solid backup... i know a few guys around the league I'd like to bring in...

either way... i can see why a superbowl winning A+ coach wouldn't want this job. Front office situation is a joke. we only play 7 games at home, and the ownership situation could be turned into a mess (and your job over) the moment Ralph passes.

will somebody tell The Old Fart to hire this guy?

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
the toronto game would feel like a home game if we weren't horrible. if they were getting a game with a strong team, they'd be interested.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
This thread just dumps gasoline all over an already blazing fire, it speaks the truth, really. In order to become relevant, well, we need a QB who is relevant. Who will it be? Bradford? Locker? Clausen? Tebow? Mallett? McCoy? Who will be next year's franchise man? Our city really needs it, if you get a great QB any coach or GM with a half a brain will want to be here.