PDA

View Full Version : Sticking with the 4-3

kernowboy
12-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm coming round to the idea of sticking with the 4-3, but having a more aggressive defence as practised by the late Jim Johnson of the Eagles, the master of the blitz rather than the lame Tampa2.

With so many teams moving to a 3-4 defence, there is bound to be an excessive premium paid on these players either in Free Agency or in the draft.

We may actually find that not only is our current roster better suited to the 4-3 and might wlecome a more aggressive attitude, but that we'll also find better value now that more teams are searching for 3-4 type players.

This might be especially true with 4-3 ends who are not able to make the move to 3-4 OLB as well as DTs not big enough to be NTs nor nimble enough to be 3-4 Ends.

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I almost am starting to feel that players are easier to find to fit in a 3-4.

To be a strong DE in a 4-3, you need to find a freak that can carry 270lbs, be healthy, quick, and strong. They are rare. That's why Bruce was so great.

The thing is, to perform in a 3-4 you can put almost anybody at OLB and get 10+ sacks every year. Why do you think Pittsburgh can just go from Gildon to Porter to Harrison and not miss a beat. Harrison got cut a few times in his career as well!

IDK, I think the 3-4 is being employed more because the players are easier to find. The only hard part is the NT.

yordad
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
To be a strong DE in a 4-3, you need to find a freak that can carry 270lbs, be healthy, quick, and strong. They are rare. That's why Bruce was so great.

Bruce played in a 3-4.

The Juice Is Loose
12-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Bruce played in a 3-4.

I know this. But Bruce fit more the mold of a 4-3 defensive end in this era.

Look at what Denver is getting out of Elvis Dumervil. You can put those smaller high motor guys at OLB and get huge contributions, whereas to produce at DE in a 4-3 you need to be a monster.

Bruce's accomplishments in a 3-4 make them even more amazing. He wanted to switch to 4-3 all along though.

Buddo
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not averse to it at all. Our problems stem from a lack of size and athleticism at the DT and LB positions in particular. Stroud has helped at DT, and Williams does seem to punch above his weight, but I still feel we need a stronger guy alongside Stroud. Get more disruption inside, and Schoebel can do more damage outside. Maybin may actually become useful also.
When we had both Poz and Mitchell fit, things aren't quite so bad at LB, the problem is they haven't been on the field that much together. We do need another solid LB who will help with the run, and also be strong enough to get off blocks when blitzing.
The secondary is pretty much ok when all starters are in, and with the emergence of Byrd, and Wilson now comfortable with what he's doing as a DB, we actually have a good set of guys, and there are lots of possibilities for coverage schemes utilising the varied talents of them all.
Part of the problem with our D, has been that other than Maybin, we haven't really tried to get the guys we need in the draft. I suppose it could be argued that McCargo was an effort, but as he is pretty much a 'bust' as a 1st rounder, then I don't believe we have made sufficient efforts to pick up either another DT, or LB, with a high enough pick. That, I can only blame on Jauron tbh. The time to put that right, is in part through FA, but also in the draft, depending on who is available in the 1st couple of rounds, as we also are desperate for another starting quality offensive tackle.
I think this D is very close to being exceptionally good, when starters are all fit, and with just a couple of additions (I'm going to assume Maybin can contribute come next year), and I feel it could be a bit of a shame to pull the plug on it, when it's so close imho, to being top notch.
I think it's an interesting point being made by the OP also. Ther could well be a decent talent pool to pick from, where more teams are going to the 3-4.
I've said it before, and it isn't the scheme that is the problem, it's the implementation of it. We've already seen far less 'prevent' from Fewell than we did with Jauron, and it seems to me generally, that the corners are getting into it near the LOS, rather than 5 yards back from it. While we probably all want more aggression from our D, we also have to respect the fact that they also have been hampered with injuries, and have had to adapt accordingly.
Should the new HC decide to go to the 3-4, our first pick will probably have to be a monster NT, unless we get a quality guy in FA - but that will be costing an arma and a leg.

Ingtar33
12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
from a front office standpoint i always liked the 3-4 because it's a salary cap friendly front 7. (far more so then the 4-3)

as a coach i always loved the 3-4 because it gave you a lot more looks, and made the QBs job harder.

Buddo
12-13-2009, 11:13 AM
from a front office standpoint i always liked the 3-4 because it's a salary cap friendly front 7. (far more so then the 4-3)

as a coach i always loved the 3-4 because it gave you a lot more looks, and made the QBs job harder.

I think that's a bit 'swings and roundabouts' tbh. A good NT isn't cheap atm, yet you do save on CBs when playing the 4-3. I know you were being specific about the lines, but I don't think you can do it in isolation, when there's so much difference in what 4-3 corners make, as opposed to 3-4 'shutdown' merchants.

Pinkerton Security
12-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd say DE's are a little easier to find for the 3-4 because they simply need to be bigger and stronger, and their main job is to occupy blockers and let the LB's roam around. I am not a fan of switching bc it is not our scheme (or even our defense) that is the main problem with our team, but at this point I will be happy to see any change!

ddaryl
12-13-2009, 11:43 AM
3-4 is just a better D and I agree with Juicy, it is easier to find players for the 3-4 scheme.

I prefer the LB's to be more capable of disgusing the blitz package. You lose some of that with a 4-3.

I also never want to see the DE in pass coverage like we do see in Perry's D at times.

mikemac2001
12-13-2009, 01:31 PM
What defense does peyton manning usually struggle againist (except for today) 3-4

all those pat/steelers/chargers teams always gave him trouble i love the 3-4 and think it be a very easy move to do

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I just think a more aggressive 4-3 as practicised by the Giants and Eagles would work wonders for us.