PDA

View Full Version : Jets news for the week of 6/1

MissBuffalo
06-01-2003, 06:34 PM
......AGAIN!!!! :mex:

NEW YORK -- Defensive tackle Josh Evans worked out with the New York Jets on Friday but refused to talk about a report that he tested positive for marijuana and could face an indefinite suspension from the NFL.
Evans was among 80 players on the practice field at the Jets training camp at Hofstra University, participating in offseason team activity.
The New York Times said three persons familiar with his situation confirmed the positive test and said Evans has appealed the finding with the league. He won a similar appeal last year.
"I did not use or smoke marijuana," Evans told The Times on Thursday night. "I didn't smoke. I didn't use marijuana in no type of way."
The NFL and the Jets declined to comment on Evans' situation, citing confidentiality issues. Evans also wouldn't talk as he left the field.
Evans was suspended twice by the league for violating its substance-abuse policy during six seasons he spent with the Tennessee Titans. He missed the first four games in 1999 and was suspended for all of the 2000 season.

FULL ARTICLE (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0530/1560920.html)

Gunzlingr
06-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Post Jets news here.

Cntrygal
06-01-2003, 09:19 PM
:shakeno:

Gunzlingr
06-02-2003, 03:54 PM
NEW YORK -- New York Jets defensive tackle Josh Evans tested positive for marijuana and could be suspended again by the league, The New York Times reported Friday.

"I didn't smoke, I didn't use marijuana in no type of way," Evans told the newspaper.

The NFL declined comment Friday to The Associated Press, saying it does not confirm substance-abuse violations. But it restated its policy that a violation in this instance could result in an indefinite suspension.

The Times, citing three people familiar with the results of the NFL-administered test, said Evans has appealed. The league would not confirm that.

Evans has been suspended twice by the league for violating its substance-abuse policy. He missed the first four games in 1999 and was suspended for all of the 2000 season.

If Evans is disciplined again, the suspension would be indefinite, with the length determined by commissioner Paul Tagliabue based on information provided by doctors.

Evans, who joined the Jets last season after six years with Tennessee, is tested up to 10 times a month. He signed with the Jets last July, two weeks after winning an appeal to have his third substance-abuse suspension overturned.

more (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030530/475931.html)

MissBuffalo
06-02-2003, 06:39 PM
:rofl: Cntry.....sorry!!!!! :D

Gunzlingr
06-03-2003, 08:44 AM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Mo Lewis said he wasn't going to "accept pity'' for last season. But it was impossible not to feel some sympathy for the Jets' strong-side linebacker as he described the left hip surgery he underwent two weeks after the playoff loss at Oakland.

"They removed three bodies [of bone], one about an inch long,'' Lewis said Thursday. "They repaired the ligament, stitched it together, and anchored it down. Dr. [Marc] Philippon, one of the best hip surgeons in the world, told me before I went in that it would take an hour and 45 minutes. When I woke up, he said it took five hours.

"He said it was serious.''

The condition is less serious now as Lewis, 33, does limited agility work during the team's "organized team activity'' workouts. He said he'll be 100 percent for the July 22 opening of training camp and the start of his 12th Jets' season.

But watching him play last season led many observers to think it might be time for Mo's gold watch. After injuring the hip in Game 3 at Miami, he was less forceful at the point of attack, a step slower in pass coverage. His half-sack equaled a career single-season low.

more (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzODY1OTcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2)

Gunzlingr
06-04-2003, 06:50 AM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If Jets defensive tackle Josh Evans loses the appeal on his latest positive test for marijuana, the club will recoup the entire $3 million option bonus he was awarded in March, according to the terms of his contract, which has been obtained by The Star Ledger. The bonus triggered the final three years of his contract.

As stipulated in Evans' contract, if he is found in "default" of his contract "on or before February 1, 2004" for any number of transgressions, including violating the league's substance abuse policy, he forfeits the $3 million. The money is being paid to Evans in three installments of $1 million each, with the first installment scheduled on February 2, 2004.

If Evans loses his appeal and is slapped with a lifetime ban, the Jets will gain $1 million of his pro-rated bonus on the cap this season. And if the Jets decide to simply release Evans, his $1.2 million base salary for the 2003 season also comes off the books. Thus, the Jets would save $2.2 million on the cap, which they could use to sign a veteran replacement.

Evans, who was a spark plug along the defensive line and finished second in sacks last season with six, continued to participate in the Jets' off-season workouts yesterday at Hofstra. He has denied smoking marijuana.

Jets general manager Terry Bradway said he hasn't received word from the league regarding Evans' appeal and refused further comment. The league has advised Evans and the Jets to be tight-lipped regarding the situation

more (http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/105470873542450.xml)

Gunzlingr
06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
A misdemeanor simple battery charge against New York Jets defensive back Aaron Beasley was dropped by the state in Duval County Court yesterday.

Beasley, 29, had been charged after an incident at the Voodoo Lounge at 521 W. Forsyth St. on July 6.

According to a police report, Beasley was in the lounge about 3 a.m. and was "play wrestling around" with an acquaintance, Desmond Carnell Harris, 24, of the 2000 block of Tuskegee Road.

Harris told police Beasley became angry with him for no apparent reason, struck him and chased him around the parking lot. Police noted that Harris had a minor cut above his left eye.

Beasley, who left the lounge before police arrived, was cut by the Jacksonville Jaguars in February 2002 and signed with the Jets the following month. He still owns a home in St. Johns County.

more (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/060403/met_12705087.shtml)

Gunzlingr
06-06-2003, 07:03 AM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Perhaps Mo Lewis can provide inspiration to Mo Vaughn.

This week, while Vaughn, the Mets' first baseman, has talked about his uphill battle to play again this season despite his damaged left knee, Lewis, the Jets' linebacker, continues to make strides from serious off-season surgery on his left hip.

Lewis has taken part all this week in seven-on-seven drills during the Jets' "organized team activity" practices.

"I think Mo has progressed very well," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said after Wednesday's workout. "He's moving great. I know he feels a lot better because he's playing without pain. He's into it.

more (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzODc1NTQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2)

The_Philster
06-08-2003, 05:28 AM
The Jets are still looking at big veteran wide receivers who are on the street. But reports out of Denver that they are courting former first-round pick J.J. Stokes, released this week by San Francisco, are premature.

Stokes (6-foot-4, 217 pounds) left the Broncos' complex Friday to visit with other teams. Reports say the Jets, Jacksonville, and Detroit are most interested, with the Jaguars probably having the inside track....
more (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzODgzODEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2)

The_Philster
06-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Craig Jarrett had to wear a watch around the Seattle Seahawks' training camp last summer. Incumbent punter Jeff Feagles wasn't about to give his rookie challenger the time of day - much less any of the secrets that had helped Feagles survive 15 NFL seasons.

"I'm not that kind of person," the normally gregarious Feagles said, "but the guy was trying to take my job, and he was a draft choice, too."...more (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzODg3NDAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2)