PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade away next years R1 ...

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 09:34 AM
..... to get both a starting QB and LT in this years draft?

Thinking of the Panthers they gave up a R2 and a R1 the following year to draft Jeff Otah, and I wonder if we might think of doing the same.

Looking at next years QB class, the leading juniors are out this year, with Christian Ponder currently the highest rated senior. Of the juniors (2012 class) if Mallett comes out this year, you've then got Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor etc .... are they anticipated to be better than Bradford, Locker, Clausen etc?

At LT, with the likes of Bryan Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Gabe Carimi and Joe Barksdale potentially in the 2010 draft, unless Clint Boling or Blake deChristoper of the 2012 class declare as juniors the LT cupboard in 2011 might be a little bare.

Assessing our needs, might it not be wise to sacrifice our R1 pick next year to get these two needs sorted out once and for all.

Whilst Suh is a headline maker I can see us being able to sign a decent DT like Arthur Jones as low as R3 and I still think Stroud may have a few more miles left in the tank.

The Juice Is Loose
12-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Thinking of the Panthers they gave up a R2 and a R1 the following year to draft Jeff Otah, and I wonder if we might think of doing the same.

Looking at next years QB class, the leading juniors are out this year, with Christian Ponder currently the highest rated senior. Of the juniors (2012 class) if Mallett comes out this year, you've then got Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor etc .... are they anticipated to be better than Bradford, Locker, Clausen etc?

At LT, with the likes of Bryan Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Gabe Carimi and Joe Barksdale potentially in the 2010 draft, unless Clint Boling or Blake deChristoper of the 2012 class declare as juniors the LT cupboard in 2011 might be a little bare.

Assessing our needs, might it not be wise to sacrifice our R1 pick next year to get these two needs sorted out once and for all.

Whilst Suh is a headline maker I can see us being able to sign a decent DT like Arthur Jones as low as R3 and I still think Stroud may have a few more miles left in the tank.

I tend to never agree with giving up a R1 the following year, it puts pressure on the player they cant live up to. Plus, I dont wanna have a repeat of signing into Buffalobills.com and them having their smart assed video introducing JP as our 05 first rounder.

I like using our later picks and giving a few to get 2 first rounders, which we've done a few times lately.

But regardless I don't like the QB draft class this year at all.

ddaryl
12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think there is a player in this years draft worth sacraficing extra picks to obtain this year early in the draft outside of Suh. (but I also admit to not being that up to date on this years candidates, but initial research says NO)

I don't view any QB or LT in this years draft worth swapping next years #1 plus probably a 2nd rd pick this year just to move back into the 1st rd and pick that player.

but someone else mentioned we could swap 1st rds with Cleveland possibly and add Lynch in the mix to move up and get Suh, which i thought was an idea that had some possible merit

But regardless I don't like the QB draft class this year at all.

I'm not blown away this year, but it's not that bad.

I am very interested in seeing what Locker does at the combine (if he comes out early). Bradford worrries me because he seems to be a china doll, and we cannot afford that.

Clausen has potential too, but potential scares me just the same.

I will feel a whole lot better after we make some FO changes

SABURZFAN
12-13-2009, 09:48 AM
no. i'm not too high on the QB class this year.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 09:51 AM
The problem is, as I mentioned, it appears that the top juniors at these positions are all murmuring about declaring as juniors.

The cupboard will be empty at these positions next year, so we might end up reaching just to get a player of need in 2011.

I'd personally rather sacrifice a pick next year under such circumstances. It would be just like using the same pick but getting the guy a year earlier.

As for Suh, he'll be taken by Tampa Bay with the No1 pick and I cannot see TB trading the pick for anything less than this years, next years and the 2012 first rounders. They need a DT more than any other position.

superbills
12-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Agree with most above. This QB class is not worth gambling next year's pick on. If we get some solid personnel guys in here we should be able to find a LT prospect to groom in Rd 2 or 3 and perhaps a QB prospect as well with the picks we have. As we've seen time and time again, it's not necessarily WHERE you pick, it's having a plan and knowing WHO to pick, regardless of your draft position.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I am very interested in seeing what Locker does at the combine (if he comes out early). Bradford worrries me because he seems to be a china doll, and we cannot afford that.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that is completely fair. He sprained his shoulder, came back earlier than was wise and did the same shoulder again.

Rather than risk it becoming something more serious, he had a small surgery (35mins) to stop it occuring in the pros.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I think of it like this.

The best QB of the 2011 class likely was Ryan Mallett and he is possibly coming out this year. Gabbert may come out but is unproven.

Jake Locker, Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford are likely better options than the class of 2011 (Devlin, Ponder, Pryor etc) unless one seriously steps up. The likes of Matt Bradley or Andrew Luck won't be seen until 2012.

As for LT, the top tackle in 2011 is likely to have been Bruce Campbell. He would likely be a Top5 pick if not Top3. However if he comes out early as expected then he goes somewhere between No8 and No17.

It is just like to Bills to draft a LT this year only to discover that next years QB class is so poor it will be like the WR in 2008. Or for us to do just a little to well, to take the best LT because our QB this year has got us just enough wins.

We risk achieving mediocrity with whatever pick we go with, depriving ourselves of the chance of picking excellence in back to back drafts.

So why not kill two birds with a single stone?

SABURZFAN
12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
The problem is, as I mentioned, it appears that the top juniors at these positions are all murmuring about declaring as juniors.

The cupboard will be empty at these positions next year, so we might end up reaching just to get a player of need in 2011.

I'd personally rather sacrifice a pick next year under such circumstances. It would be just like using the same pick but getting the guy a year earlier.

and this where i have to disagree with you. they don't need to give away draft picks (like they did with Lossman) to get somebody who is not a for sure thing.(like they had with Lossman) the only for sure thing the Bills have are their draft picks. they need to use them in an attempt to solidify other areas of the team. if there was a QB who truly stood out as a Day 1 starter, i would be all for it. i don't see it in this class. so rather than seeing them chase their tail getting a franchise QB that i don't see, i rather see them get a veteran QB who can make this team a little more competitive while they make other areas of the team stronger for the future.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 10:22 AM
and this where i have to disagree with you. they don't need to give away draft picks (like they did with Lossman) to get somebody who is not a for sure thing.(like they had with Lossman) the only for sure thing the Bills have are their draft picks. they need to use them in an attempt to solidify other areas of the team. if there was a QB who truly stood out as a Day 1 starter, i would be all for it. i don't see it in this class. so rather than seeing them chase their tail getting a franchise QB that i don't see, i rather see them get a veteran QB who can make this team a little more competitive while they make other areas of the team stronger for the future.

Saburz, for me only Locker might be a Losman type. I don't see a franchise QB in 2011 either, and in FA all I see is a series of retreads and has beens

Personally I would like them to draft Sam Bradford.

I would then like them to move back into the draft and grab a starting LT.

After all, if we don't grab a starting LT this year, we're going to have to go into the draft next year to grab one, and I think it is seriously risky hoping a starting LT will slide into R2.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Knowing what we know now for example, would any have objected if we'd given up a 2nd last year, and this year's R1 to grab Michael Oher?

I think if we had, we'd not be looking to draft in the Top10

X-Era
12-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Yes.

The team is too young and until our new guys get developed, we can expect questionable play. Id like the development to start as soon as possible.

Beastie Bills
12-13-2009, 10:35 AM
No, I'd rather get a LT this year, and a QB next year.

SABURZFAN
12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Saburz, for me only Locker might be a Losman type. I don't see a franchise QB in 2011 either, and in FA all I see is a series of retreads and has beens

Personally I would like them to draft Sam Bradford.

I would then like them to move back into the draft and grab a starting LT.

After all, if we don't grab a starting LT this year, we're going to have to go into the draft next year to grab one, and I think it is seriously risky hoping a starting LT will slide into R2.

so screw getting a QB in the 1st round, get the starting LT that you want, and roll the dice later in the draft with a different QB. you'd be rolling the dice on Bradford anyways, so what's the difference? then you keep your 1st rounder for next year.

mikemac2001
12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/12/desk.jpg

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 11:10 AM
No, I'd rather get a LT this year, and a QB next year.

and if all the decent QBs have declared so its like not going for Manning, Rivers or Big Ben in 2004 and being left with a choice of Alex Smith or Rogers in 2005?

If we're going to take a QB next year, why not take him this year if we have a choice?

Yes it means losing a R2 this year, but if the QB and LT work out, instead of picking in the Top10 in 2011, we'd be picking between 20 and 28 so the actual draft value of losing a R2 is minimal

For example.

A No10 pick has a value of 1,300 points
A pick around 38 has a value of 520 points.

We use our pick to draft a QB

We trade back in to the draft to somewhere like No12 (1200 pts) with the 49ers and luck out drafting Bulaga or Campbell. We give up 520 points (this years R2) and next years R1. If next years R1 pick is No20, then that pick has a value of 850 points = 1370 points

So rather than pick at No9 because we have no QB to throw or no LT to guard him we give up maybe 1370points and have more success a year earlier.

Also with the best LTs and QBs out this year, who would be draft at these positions next year?

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
so screw getting a QB in the 1st round, get the starting LT that you want, and roll the dice later in the draft with a different QB. you'd be rolling the dice on Bradford anyways, so what's the difference? then you keep your 1st rounder for next year.

Which QBs - after the Big4 - Locker, Clausen, Bradford or Mallett, the drop off is significant.

yordad
12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
The cream of this QB draft will rise to the top by the time the draft gets here. And when it does, I hope the Bills are in position to draft it. My belief is it will be Bradford.

yordad
12-13-2009, 11:56 AM
But no. I wouldn't trade next years first to try and snag a OT this year.

ddaryl
12-13-2009, 12:06 PM
The cream of this QB draft will rise to the top by the time the draft gets here. And when it does, I hope the Bills are in position to draft it. My belief is it will be Bradford.

It's gonna be an interesting combine... Knowing the Bills will probably be drafting earlier and the fact we are looking at QB's should definitley make watching the combine a heluva a lot more interesting for me.

BertSquirtgum
12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
absolutely no ****ing way

Ingtar33
12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't think there is a player in this years draft worth sacraficing extra picks to obtain this year early in the draft outside of Suh. (but I also admit to not being that up to date on this years candidates, but initial research says NO)

I wouldn't quite go that far... but i agree with you mostly.

There really isn't anyone in this draft who is worth dumping next years first. worse. we could be worse next year. Do you want to go 2-14 next year and not have a no.1 pick?!

that's what the panthers are looking at right now. they only dumped their no.1 last year because they were delusional to believe they would be in the playoffs this year.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
My concern is the best juniors who would be seniors next year might look to come out in 2010 because of the potential rookie pay cap.

If the Top4 QBs in the 2011 draft are going to be in the 2010 draft and the Top4 LTs in the 2011 draft are going to be in the 2010 draft, it makes sense to use the picks in 2010 rather than reach for guys of lesser ability in 2011

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't quite go that far... but i agree with you mostly.

There really isn't anyone in this draft who is worth dumping next years first. worse. we could be worse next year. Do you want to go 2-14 next year and not have a no.1 pick?!

that's what the panthers are looking at right now. they only dumped their no.1 last year because they were delusional to believe they would be in the playoffs this year.

But look at the Panthers in 2007. They finished 7-9 picking at 13 and went with Stewart.

But in the 2008 draft they also gave away their R2 pick and R1'09 to move up with the Eagles and draft Jeff Otah.

And in 2008, they finished 12-4 and in the playoffs.

If we can get two elite rookies this year - with Miami plateauing, the Jets not stepping up and the Pats maybe beginning to stumble we could find ourselves winning the division.

After all, we've been able to go 7-9 for back to back seasons and what we've lacked is key players at two key positions.

The mistake the Panthers made was assuming lightning strikes twice and trying the same stunt in two successive years.

With proper coaching we could easily do a Miami or Atlanta and turn a 4-12/5-11 season into a 10-6/11-5, if we give the new coach a decent QB who has proper protection.

yordad
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
It's gonna be an interesting combine... Knowing the Bills will probably be drafting earlier and the fact we are looking at QB's should definitley make watching the combine a heluva a lot more interesting for me.Definately.

EDS
12-13-2009, 02:03 PM
and if all the decent QBs have declared so its like not going for Manning, Rivers or Big Ben in 2004 and being left with a choice of Alex Smith or Rogers in 2005?

I would be thrilled with an Aaron Rodgers option at QB.

None of this years QBs are in the same league as Manning, Rivers or Big Ben as prospects, so it is not a reasonable comparison anyway.

EDS
12-13-2009, 02:09 PM
My concern is the best juniors who would be seniors next year might look to come out in 2010 because of the potential rookie pay cap.

If the Top4 QBs in the 2011 draft are going to be in the 2010 draft and the Top4 LTs in the 2011 draft are going to be in the 2010 draft, it makes sense to use the picks in 2010 rather than reach for guys of lesser ability in 2011

There will always be players that rise up the charts, so it is too early to predict dire shortages of talent in future drafts.

As Ingtar mentioned, the Bills are just not good enough to justify giving up a pick in next years draft which may end up being higher then the one they give up.