PDA

View Full Version : Are we talentless or lack the coaching to maximise the talent

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
When I look at the team, I think that our starting players are not that bad but we lack two or three key players on each side of the ball.

The inury crisis we have had has been borderline ridiculous but our depth has often held up as well as could be expected with even our depth having to be replaced

Defence
The secondary is clearly the strength. I think McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would make most rosters whilst so would McKelvin. Scott and Wilson are the equal of any reserve safeties whilst Corner and Youboty match up with any 4th and 5th CB on any depth chart.

At LB, Mitchell is an acceptable WLB if he could actually play there, whilst Posluzny would be better and more effective as a SLB, meaning what we really need is a MLB.

On the line Schobel has been as reliable as any while Stroud and Williams are a decent tandem and Spencer Johnson a great guy to have in the rotation.

Left Defensive End however has been poor and needs upgrading. Unfortunately Ellis has not yet stepped up or been given the opportunity whilst Maybin is likely to only ever be a Right End

Offense
I see two needs here. QB and LT.

The rest of the line has the potential to be very decent and we've developed a little depth. Butler-Wood-Hangartner-Levitre are 80% of a talented line with only LT missing. We also have depth in Scott, Meredith and Bell

A Owens/Evans pairing with support provided by Hardy and Reed is as good as any whilst Nelson is developing nicely.

Finally the ground attack of Fred-x and Lynch is as good as any pairing but I think Lynch could be replaced with little or no fall off here.

So the two problem positions are getting the ball to our talented offensive players and keeping the guy safe while he does this.

In my opinion therefore we have four key positions to fill, which might be possible to achieve in one draft, but no more than two.

They are:

QB
LT
LE
MLB

With even an average GM, I can see this being achieved in one draft, two at most, and despite finishing in all likelihood 5-11, we can easily turn that into 11-5 next season.

My personal solution is to trade our R1 next year and move back into R1 of this years draft. We draft for Sam Bradford and give him Bruce Campbell or Bryan Bulaga as a bodyguard. Due to injuries it is quite possible that Arthur Jones T/E and Sean Lee MLB will fall to us in the 3rd and 4th respectively.

If we trade Lynch for a 2nd in 2011, we will have a two 2nds in 2011 which might allow us to move up into R1 in that draft. Even if we don't, a load like Alex Wujciak MLB should be around in R2, as well as a LE like Ryan Kerrigan. With so many teams going 3-4, a traditional 4-3 end like Kerrigan could be there for us.

Rounds 4-7 in each draft should allow us to get 4-5 players who can provide missing depth like at LB, RB, QB (Second stringer - 2011 draft) DL and C/G

A decent GM and Coach should be able to mastermine turnarounds like Miami and Atlanta achieved in 2008 especially if we sort the offence out first. Fitzpatrick was awful today against the Chiefs and his replacement has rapidly become the No1 priority.

Ingtar33
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
When I look at the team, I think that our starting players are not that bad but we lack two or three key players on each side of the ball.

The inury crisis we have had has been borderline ridiculous but our depth has often held up as well as could be expected with even our depth having to be replaced

Defence
The secondary is clearly the strength. I think McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would make most rosters whilst so would McKelvin. Scott and Wilson are the equal of any reserve safeties whilst Corner and Youboty match up with any 4th and 5th CB on any depth chart.

At LB, Mitchell is an acceptable WLB if he could actually play there, whilst Posluzny would be better and more effective as a SLB, meaning what we really need is a MLB.

On the line Schobel has been as reliable as any while Stroud and Williams are a decent tandem and Spencer Johnson a great guy to have in the rotation.

Left Defensive End however has been poor and needs upgrading. Unfortunately Ellis has not yet stepped up or been given the opportunity whilst Maybin is likely to only ever be a Right End

Offense

The rest of the line has the potential to be very decent and we've developed a little depth. Butler-Wood-Hangartner-Levitre are 80% of a talented line with only LT missing. We also have depth in Scott, Meredith and Bell

A Owens/Evans pairing with support provided by Hardy and Reed is as good as any whilst Nelson is developing nicely.

Finally the ground attack of Fred-x and Lynch is as good as any pairing but I think Lynch could be replaced with little or no fall off here.

So the two problem positions are getting the ball to our talented offensive players and keeping the guy safe while he does this.

In my opinion therefore we have four key positions to fill, which might be possible to achieve in one draft, but no more than two.

They are:

QB
LT
LE
MLB

With even an average GM, I can see this being achieved in one draft, two at most, and despite finishing in all likelihood 5-11, we can easily turn that into 11-5 next season.

My personal solution is to trade our R1 next year and move back into R1 of this years draft. We draft for Sam Bradford and give him Bruce Campbell or Bryan Bulaga as a bodyguard. Due to injuries it is quite possible that Arthur Jones T/E and Sean Lee MLB will fall to us in the 3rd and 4th respectively.

If we trade Lynch for a 2nd in 2011, we will have a two 2nds in 2011 which might allow us to move up into R1 in that draft. Even if we don't, a load like Alex Wujciak MLB should be around in R2, as well as a LE like Ryan Kerrigan. With so many teams going 3-4, a traditional 4-3 end like Kerrigan could be there for us.

A decent GM and Coach should be able to mastermine turnarounds like Miami and Atlanta achieved in 2008 especially if we sort the offence out first. Fitzpatrick was awful today against the Chiefs and his replacement has rapidly become the No1 priority.

we need 2 linebackers not 1

we need 2 OTs not 1 (we might need a guard too if Wood's injury threatens his career)

We need a WR, a QB and a lot of depth pretty much everywhere. We need DE and DT help.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 04:04 PM
we need 2 linebackers not 1

we need 2 OTs not 1 (we might need a guard too if Wood's injury threatens his career)

We need a WR, a QB and a lot of depth pretty much everywhere. We need DE and DT help.

Butler is a very good OT/G. He does not need replacement as many teams would jump at signing him. Drafting Bulaga or Campbell gives a better than average starting pair.

We do not need two LBs. Mitchell demonstrated he was a capable WLB so we sign him and play him anywhere but WLB - doh. Pos could be a decent SLB if not having to fight through blocks all the time.

I mentioned drafting the QB, whilst with a decent coaching appointment, I think Owens could be re-signed and Hardy developed.

On the DL, we've got three acceptable players and can easily draft one or two more, whilst for me, LE is the problem position.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, a change of philosophy away from the Tampa2 might do wonders.

Ingtar33
12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
We do not need two LBs. Mitchell demonstrated he was a capable WLB so we sign him and play him anywhere but WLB

I think Owens could be re-signed.

On the DL, we've got three acceptable players and can easily draft one or two more, whilst for me, LE is the problem position.

Mitchell was the worst of our starting 3 linebackers. I don't know why you are talking about him as if he's any good.

Owens won't be resigned

3 acceptable players? Schobel/Stroud/Williams? I'd throw in Spencer Johnson as an acceptable backup to that mix. That leaves you 5 men to replace plus a new starter at end.

EDS
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Thank goodness it is so easy to get a franchise QB and left tackle and turn a horrid run defense into something worthwhile with only one viable starting linebacker on the roster and a percentage of the defensive line that can barely be called "good enough".

Typ0
12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
instead of talking about what it's going to take to be a dominant team for a decade why don't we just consider the fact that a good QB and this team could have won 12 games.

BILLSROCK1212
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Byrd is the word.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Mitchell was the worst of our starting 3 linebackers. I don't know why you are talking about him as if he's any good.

Owens won't be resigned

3 acceptable players? Schobel/Stroud/Williams? I'd throw in Spencer Johnson as an acceptable backup to that mix. That leaves you 5 men to replace plus a new starter at end.

So who do you think is going to offer Owens big money? - I think he'll wait to see who the new GM/HC is and what they plan to do.

If we have a starting line of AN OTHER - Williams - Stroud - Schobel, there is no reason to think the new regime cannot give a lease of life to Ellis or Maybin or both. Spencer Johnson is decent depth and a rookie such as Arthur Jones and we have four DT.

At LB, we have Pos, I'm not as down as you are on Mitchell especially if he is used properly like Spagunolo used him for the Giants and we can find acceptable replacement for Ellison in FA or the draft.

Where does this 5 men come from?

As I said a decent GM should be able to find starters in Day1 and Day2 of the draft and we can find depth on Day3.

Nighthawk
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Owens won't be resigned

Ingtar, you're on crack if you think Mitchell is worse then Ellison...Ellison shouldn't even be on the team. Is Mitchell a great LB, ummm, no...but he is better then Ellison will ever be.

TigerJ
12-13-2009, 04:43 PM
The offensive line is a train wreck, and we don't have a starting quarterback (unless Brian Brohm can rise to the position next season). Otherwise this is a pretty good team.

Dicknoze69
12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Just watching the Bills-Chiefs game and other weak teams like the Rams shows that we have significantly more talent on both sides of the ball than those teams. We have some playmakers, those teams have few. We certainly need a good amount of pieces to turn this mess around, but there's a decent foundation already in place.

I legitimately think that if the right decisions are made and the proper players acquired, we could turn this thing around fairly quickly. Whether that happens is anyone's guess though.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Defense:
It's just our linebackers, I love our D-line and our secondary. Posluszny & Ellison can stay, Posluszny is a solid starter but should be playing SLB (If that's the OLB typically responsible for covering tight ends and dropping back in coverage) Ellison should be a nice role player at OLB. The other two positions need a serious upgrade.

Offense:
Could use a starter at QB, WR, TE, LT, RT.

That's my summary. :up:

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 04:54 PM
The offensive line is a train wreck, and we don't have a starting quarterback (unless Brian Brohm can rise to the position next season). Otherwise this is a pretty good team.

... primarily due to injuries.

Butler is a more than decent RT
Wood has talent at RG but could equally move to C
Hangartner does ok at C but I would be happy for him to move to RG
Levitre is coming along nicely at LG

.... so we need a starting LT and QB

Outside of the starters, Scott, Meredith and Bell provide nice depth able to start in a pinch.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Defense:
It's just our linebackers, I love our D-line and our secondary. Posluszny & Ellison can stay, Posluszny is a solid starter but should be playing SLB (If that's the OLB typically responsible for covering tight ends and dropping back in coverage) Ellison should be a nice role player at OLB. The other two positions need a serious upgrade.

Offense:
Could use a starter at QB, WR, TE, LT, RT.

That's my summary. :up:

Butler coming back is like having a new starter at RT. I think Nelson can easily step up and be a starter at TE.

And despite what people say I think Owens would accept another year or two contract at $6m to $7m as I am not sure who else might offer as much.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Butler coming back is like having a new starter at RT. I think Nelson can easily step up and be a starter at TE.

And despite what people say I think Owens would accept another year or two contract at $6m to $7m as I am not sure who else might offer as much.
I definitely agree that Butler is a starting caliber RT, but with both Butler & Wood coming back from injuries, I'd like another capable starter in the mix so we are more flexible with what we can do.

I'm hopeful that Owens comes back, I hope you're right. :pray:

Nelson is a bit small, he should be converted to a receiver, but who knows if he would have the speed to do that. He certainly doesn't seem to have the strength that a TE needs to be successful, DBs seem to handle him easily.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I definitely agree that Butler is a starting caliber RT, but with both Butler & Wood coming back from injuries, I'd like another capable starter in the mix so we are more flexible with what we can do.

I'm hopeful that Owens comes back, I hope you're right. :pray:

Nelson is a bit small, he should be converted to a receiver, but who knows if he would have the speed to do that. He certainly doesn't seem to have the strength that a TE needs to be successful, DBs seem to handle him easily.

Nelson ran a 4.56 at the combine so he may have enough speed if he can drop down to the 230lbs range

There are also some decent TE in FA including

Anthony Fasano
Matt Spaeth
Ben Watson
Owen Daniels
Bo Scaife
Tony Scheffler

It might be the deepest position in Free Agency.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Nelson ran a 4.56 at the combine so he may have enough speed if he can drop down to the 230lbs range

There are also some decent TE in FA including

Anthony Fasano
Matt Spaeth
Ben Watson
Owen Daniels
Bo Scaife
Tony Scheffler

It might be the deepest position in Free Agency.

That's a nice list, I'm thinking that Owen Daniels gets the franchise tag, but that leaves Scheffler and Fasano from the list as my two favorites. Personally, I think Fasano is the most well rounded tight end on that list, he would have to be my favorite candidate from your list.

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm saying this with a straight face.

Had the Bills returned last year's o-line and brought in Hangartner as center this team would be in the playoff hunt and maybe be the division leader.

The o-line dismantling has to be one of the most colossal blunders in Bills history. And why? To save some bucks for our 91 year old owner.

This is why iI'm so ****ing negative.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm saying this with a straight face.

Had the Bills returned last year's o-line and brought in Hangartner as center this team would be in the playoff hunt and maybe be the division leader.

The o-line dismantling has to be one of the most colossal blunders in Bills history. And why? To save some bucks for our 91 year old owner.

This is why iI'm so ****ing negative.

I think Levitre will be better than the overpaid Dockery and Butler will show up Walker as an average journeyman.

And the LT we draft (if we are brave enough to go for it) will be much better and less greedy than Peters.

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I think Levitre will be better than the overpaid Dockery and Butler will show up Walker as an average journeyman.

And the LT we draft (if we are brave enough to go for it) will be much better and less greedy than Peters.

All speculation. At this point last year's o-line is 10X better.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 07:11 PM

They were better but aging and overpaid.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 07:15 PM

so is the idea that Peters would not be a locker room cancer

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
so is the idea that Peters would not be a locker room cancer

He seems to be handling the locker room in Philly.

The Bills do this with everybody they feel disnchanted with.

1) Polian was a hot head.

2) Pat Williams was lazy and on the back side of his career.

3) Winfield was too small and not worth the money.

I've heard it all before.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
because he got more money than he deserved.

He'll want to renegotiate next year as soon as another OT gets paid more and will allow his QB to be sacked and hurt to try to get it.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
The team needs for next year...

QB, LT, RT, maybe G depending on Wood's injury, WR - Owens is likely gone, Parrish too, TE

DT, DE, at least 1 starting caliber LB preferably in the middle move POS outside, CB, S opposite Byrd.

TE and/or CB is the lowest need of the "needs" QB is the greatest need.

TigerJ
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
... primarily due to injuries.

Butler is a more than decent RT
Wood has talent at RG but could equally move to C
Hangartner does ok at C but I would be happy for him to move to RG
Levitre is coming along nicely at LG

.... so we need a starting LT and QB

Outside of the starters, Scott, Meredith and Bell provide nice depth able to start in a pinch.Injuries and inexperience. It's possible that among the players who have been at tackle this season more than two will be capable of starting at tackle next season. That's not to say the Bills should't seek an upgrade in the off season. The big problem this season, aside from all the injuries is that they are just so freaking raw. Next season going into training camp all of them will have had reps as a starter. That can be pretty valuable. It's not a guarantee that anyone will step up next season, but at least they will have a pretty good idea about what they need to do to be a decent starter.

BillsFanCupp38
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Are we talentless or do we not have the coaches to maxamize talent??? Hmmm... Both.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
The coaching while not good has been better than the production from the "talent"

The plethora of garbage QBs we've paraded out there the post-Bledsoe would make any coach look bad.

DraftBoy
12-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Talentless.

TacklingDummy
12-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Talentless.

SABURZFAN
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Ingtar, you're on crack if you think Mitchell is worse then Ellison...Ellison shouldn't even be on the team. Is Mitchell a great LB, ummm, no...but he is better then Ellison will ever be.

Ellison may not be good enough as a starter but i think he would be a great backup at the LB position. Mitchell is just plain overrated. he was decent when he had better players around him but was exposed as not being that good when he came to the Bills.

DesertFox24
12-14-2009, 07:57 AM
You guys can laugh at me for saying this, but I am going to anyway.

This team had playoff talent on paper before the season started.

The problem is we do not have playoff caliber coaching. I was having a discussion with some peeps in the preseason about this and they agreed that the bills have talent, the young OL was their biggest concern, and Edwards. However, they said because of our coaching he could not see us fulfilling the potential.

That being said we do need another QB bad, another OT, LB, and DT.

billistic
12-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Make it easier: (assuming that the goal is a team that could conceivably go deep into the playoffs) All the Bills don't need to upgrade is CB, safeties, Lee Evans and running backs.

If the goal is to rise up from last in the AFC East to 3rd, then the TO is sort of correct.

As if the Bills had any effective management, coaching, scouting, or training staffs in place...

justasportsfan
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Ellison was actually playing better than MItchell prior to both their injuries.

trapezeus
12-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Ellison has heart and makes plays....occassionally. Mitchell gets burned, lives off his past superbowl win as though he's some god, and then talks down to fans for not understanding why he sucks.

Mitchell is useless to this team. We are no better and no worse without him. Ellison, he's a backup and a ST player on a good team.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Defence

Offense

They are:

QB
LT
LE
MLB

Rounds 4-7 in each draft should allow us to get 4-5 players who can provide missing depth like at LB, RB, QB (Second stringer - 2011 draft) DL and C/G

We have an interim HC, weak at DT, weak at DE, weak at LB, no QB, weak at WR, weak at TE.

I would say we are a talentless group with an interim HC with no experience.

DesertFox24
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM
We have an interim HC, weak at DT, weak at DE, weak at LB, no QB, weak at WR, weak at TE.

I would say we are a talentless group with an interim HC with no experience.

I disagree about the TE, DE, and WR positions.

Nelson has been getting a lot better and Shouman was doing very well before he busted his knee.

Next year I starting TEs will be Nelson and Shouman and I think that could be good for us.

DE we have talent and Schobel and Kelsay have played well this year, next year Ellis and Maybin need to do more because I think Denney is gone.

WR we know we have one legit guy next year and that is Lee Evans, but Hardy and Johnson I think will make everyone forget about Reed and Owens. Parrish will probably still be on the team and with a good O coordinator we might find some use for him on bubble screens and gadget plays to make him happy.

justasportsfan
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM

.I disagree. We are stacked at wr but have an OL that can't hold long enough to use those wr's as weapons. I can't also gauge our TE's because thye are made to go into maximum protect because of our OL.

bigbub2352
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
it is both no doubt
no talent at ur key positions
no coaching at ur key positions

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I disagree about the TE, DE, and WR positions.

Nelson has been getting a lot better and Shouman was doing very well before he busted his knee.

Next year I starting TEs will be Nelson and Shouman and I think that could be good for us.

DE we have talent and Schobel and Kelsay have played well this year, next year Ellis and Maybin need to do more because I think Denney is gone.

WR we know we have one legit guy next year and that is Lee Evans, but Hardy and Johnson I think will make everyone forget about Reed and Owens. Parrish will probably still be on the team and with a good O coordinator we might find some use for him on bubble screens and gadget plays to make him happy.
When I say weak it doesn't mean we dont have potential. It means we don't have established players at that position.

Schouman was no better than an average player, weak at blocking, decent in receiving.

Nelson is still a ?

I love how playing well against crappy teams makes you a talented DE in Buffalo. Kelsay shows up to play when we play against teams that are just as bad and profits from coverage sacks. When was the last time you saw Kelsay screaming off the edge and getting a sack before the QB had already gone through his reads??? When was the last time Schobel did?

When you talk about good DEs you talk about guys that get consistent pressure on QBs, who cares about sacks.

The DE position is VERY WEAK, not just a ?. As for Maybin and Ellis, Ellis is inactive every week and Maybin has a load of work to do just to become an effective rotational guy. He has to put on 15-20 pounds and needs to work on his technique and counter moves. We are in horrible shape on the DL.

Again, you talk about the receiver position you talk about potential. Hardy and Johnson have not done a thing to show they are capable role players let alone starters in this league. So that is why I call it a weak position. We only have 1 established player at WR and the rest are hopefuls.

DraftBoy
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I disagree. We are stacked at wr but have an OL that can't hold long enough to use those wr's as weapons. I can't also gauge our TE's because thye are made to go into maximum protect because of our OL.

Stacked at WR? If TO leaves we have no #2 or #1 option depending on how you classify Evans.

That's not stacked.

justasportsfan
12-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Stacked at WR? If TO leaves we have no #2 or #1 option depending on how you classify Evans.

That's not stacked.
I was talking about this year. Not next year.

DraftBoy
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I was talking about this year. Not next year.

Even this year, I dont think we are stacked.

DesertFox24
12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
When I say weak it doesn't mean we dont have potential. It means we don't have established players at that position.

Schouman was no better than an average player, weak at blocking, decent in receiving.

Nelson is still a ?

I love how playing well against crappy teams makes you a talented DE in Buffalo. Kelsay shows up to play when we play against teams that are just as bad and profits from coverage sacks. When was the last time you saw Kelsay screaming off the edge and getting a sack before the QB had already gone through his reads??? When was the last time Schobel did?

When you talk about good DEs you talk about guys that get consistent pressure on QBs, who cares about sacks.

The DE position is VERY WEAK, not just a ?. As for Maybin and Ellis, Ellis is inactive every week and Maybin has a load of work to do just to become an effective rotational guy. He has to put on 15-20 pounds and needs to work on his technique and counter moves. We are in horrible shape on the DL.

Again, you talk about the receiver position you talk about potential. Hardy and Johnson have not done a thing to show they are capable role players let alone starters in this league. So that is why I call it a weak position. We only have 1 established player at WR and the rest are hopefuls.

Ok I see what you mean.

I disagree about Kelsay and Schobel not having a good year though, but I see what you mean.

Honestly the only thing I want the bills to do is draft best player available no matter the position or where they are.

Lets say a FS is the number 1 player on the board when we pick, we either take that player or trade down. That is my stance in every round.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Ok I see what you mean.

I disagree about Kelsay and Schobel not having a good year though, but I see what you mean.

Honestly the only thing I want the bills to do is draft best player available no matter the position or where they are.

Lets say a FS is the number 1 player on the board when we pick, we either take that player or trade down. That is my stance in every round.
Only problem is you dont always have a trade down partner.

If Eric Berry is available when we pick, selecting him would make us no better than we are today because we simply dont have the DL to help out our secondary.

That being said having Berry and Byrd would be an incredible tandem and you could always hope you fill the rest of your needs with great 2nd and 3rd round picks as well as FAs.

I think from this point on we go BPA in the first round at least because its tiresome seeing us reach for guys in the first every year and watch the guys we passed on flourish.

TacklingDummy
12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
I disagree. We are stacked at wr but have an OL that can't hold long enough to use those wr's as weapons.
Or maybe our QB just blows which makes the running game, passing game, and the o-line look like crap.