Are we talentless or lack the coaching to maximise the talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we talentless or lack the coaching to maximise the talent

When I look at the team, I think that our starting players are not that bad but we lack two or three key players on each side of the ball.

The inury crisis we have had has been borderline ridiculous but our depth has often held up as well as could be expected with even our depth having to be replaced

Defence
    The secondary is clearly the strength. I think McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would make most rosters whilst so would McKelvin. Scott and Wilson are the equal of any reserve safeties whilst Corner and Youboty match up with any 4th and 5th CB on any depth chart.

At LB, Mitchell is an acceptable WLB if he could actually play there, whilst Posluzny would be better and more effective as a SLB, meaning what we really need is a MLB.

On the line Schobel has been as reliable as any while Stroud and Williams are a decent tandem and Spencer Johnson a great guy to have in the rotation.

Left Defensive End however has been poor and needs upgrading. Unfortunately Ellis has not yet stepped up or been given the opportunity whilst Maybin is likely to only ever be a Right End

Offense
    I see two needs here. QB and LT.

The rest of the line has the potential to be very decent and we've developed a little depth. Butler-Wood-Hangartner-Levitre are 80% of a talented line with only LT missing. We also have depth in Scott, Meredith and Bell

A Owens/Evans pairing with support provided by Hardy and Reed is as good as any whilst Nelson is developing nicely.

Finally the ground attack of Fred-x and Lynch is as good as any pairing but I think Lynch could be replaced with little or no fall off here.

So the two problem positions are getting the ball to our talented offensive players and keeping the guy safe while he does this.

In my opinion therefore we have four key positions to fill, which might be possible to achieve in one draft, but no more than two.

They are:

QB
    LT
    LE
    MLB

With even an average GM, I can see this being achieved in one draft, two at most, and despite finishing in all likelihood 5-11, we can easily turn that into 11-5 next season.

My personal solution is to trade our R1 next year and move back into R1 of this years draft. We draft for Sam Bradford and give him Bruce Campbell or Bryan Bulaga as a bodyguard. Due to injuries it is quite possible that Arthur Jones T/E and Sean Lee MLB will fall to us in the 3rd and 4th respectively.

If we trade Lynch for a 2nd in 2011, we will have a two 2nds in 2011 which might allow us to move up into R1 in that draft. Even if we don't, a load like Alex Wujciak MLB should be around in R2, as well as a LE like Ryan Kerrigan. With so many teams going 3-4, a traditional 4-3 end like Kerrigan could be there for us.

Rounds 4-7 in each draft should allow us to get 4-5 players who can provide missing depth like at LB, RB, QB (Second stringer - 2011 draft) DL and C/G

A decent GM and Coach should be able to mastermine turnarounds like Miami and Atlanta achieved in 2008 especially if we sort the offence out first. Fitzpatrick was awful today against the Chiefs and his replacement has rapidly become the No1 priority.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM.
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Are we talentless or lack the coaching to maximise the talent

Originally posted by kernowboy
    When I look at the team, I think that our starting players are not that bad but we lack two or three key players on each side of the ball.

The inury crisis we have had has been borderline ridiculous but our depth has often held up as well as could be expected with even our depth having to be replaced

Defence
    The secondary is clearly the strength. I think McGee, Florence, Byrd and Whitner would make most rosters whilst so would McKelvin. Scott and Wilson are the equal of any reserve safeties whilst Corner and Youboty match up with any 4th and 5th CB on any depth chart.

At LB, Mitchell is an acceptable WLB if he could actually play there, whilst Posluzny would be better and more effective as a SLB, meaning what we really need is a MLB.

On the line Schobel has been as reliable as any while Stroud and Williams are a decent tandem and Spencer Johnson a great guy to have in the rotation.

Left Defensive End however has been poor and needs upgrading. Unfortunately Ellis has not yet stepped up or been given the opportunity whilst Maybin is likely to only ever be a Right End

Offense
    I see two needs here. QB and LT.

The rest of the line has the potential to be very decent and we've developed a little depth. Butler-Wood-Hangartner-Levitre are 80% of a talented line with only LT missing. We also have depth in Scott, Meredith and Bell

A Owens/Evans pairing with support provided by Hardy and Reed is as good as any whilst Nelson is developing nicely.

Finally the ground attack of Fred-x and Lynch is as good as any pairing but I think Lynch could be replaced with little or no fall off here.

So the two problem positions are getting the ball to our talented offensive players and keeping the guy safe while he does this.

In my opinion therefore we have four key positions to fill, which might be possible to achieve in one draft, but no more than two.

They are:

QB
    LT
    LE
    MLB

With even an average GM, I can see this being achieved in one draft, two at most, and despite finishing in all likelihood 5-11, we can easily turn that into 11-5 next season.

My personal solution is to trade our R1 next year and move back into R1 of this years draft. We draft for Sam Bradford and give him Bruce Campbell or Bryan Bulaga as a bodyguard. Due to injuries it is quite possible that Arthur Jones T/E and Sean Lee MLB will fall to us in the 3rd and 4th respectively.

If we trade Lynch for a 2nd in 2011, we will have a two 2nds in 2011 which might allow us to move up into R1 in that draft. Even if we don't, a load like Alex Wujciak MLB should be around in R2, as well as a LE like Ryan Kerrigan. With so many teams going 3-4, a traditional 4-3 end like Kerrigan could be there for us.

A decent GM and Coach should be able to mastermine turnarounds like Miami and Atlanta achieved in 2008 especially if we sort the offence out first. Fitzpatrick was awful today against the Chiefs and his replacement has rapidly become the No1 priority.

we need 2 linebackers not 1

we need 2 OTs not 1 (we might need a guard too if Wood's injury threatens his career)

We need a WR, a QB and a lot of depth pretty much everywhere. We need DE and DT help.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ingtar33
      we need 2 linebackers not 1

we need 2 OTs not 1 (we might need a guard too if Wood's injury threatens his career)

We need a WR, a QB and a lot of depth pretty much everywhere. We need DE and DT help.
      Butler is a very good OT/G. He does not need replacement as many teams would jump at signing him. Drafting Bulaga or Campbell gives a better than average starting pair.

We do not need two LBs. Mitchell demonstrated he was a capable WLB so we sign him and play him anywhere but WLB - doh. Pos could be a decent SLB if not having to fight through blocks all the time.

I mentioned drafting the QB, whilst with a decent coaching appointment, I think Owens could be re-signed and Hardy developed.

On the DL, we've got three acceptable players and can easily draft one or two more, whilst for me, LE is the problem position.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, a change of philosophy away from the Tampa2 might do wonders.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

We do not need two LBs. Mitchell demonstrated he was a capable WLB so we sign him and play him anywhere but WLB

I think Owens could be re-signed.

On the DL, we've got three acceptable players and can easily draft one or two more, whilst for me, LE is the problem position.

Mitchell was the worst of our starting 3 linebackers. I don't know why you are talking about him as if he's any good.

Owens won't be resigned

3 acceptable players? Schobel/Stroud/Williams? I'd throw in Spencer Johnson as an acceptable backup to that mix. That leaves you 5 men to replace plus a new starter at end.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Thank goodness it is so easy to get a franchise QB and left tackle and turn a horrid run defense into something worthwhile with only one viable starting linebacker on the roster and a percentage of the defensive line that can barely be called "good enough".

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

instead of talking about what it's going to take to be a dominant team for a decade why don't we just consider the fact that a good QB and this team could have won 12 games.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
              !?!?!?!?!?
              • Mar 2006

Byrd is the word.

Comment

Mitchell was the worst of our starting 3 linebackers. I don't know why you are talking about him as if he's any good.

Owens won't be resigned

3 acceptable players? Schobel/Stroud/Williams? I'd throw in Spencer Johnson as an acceptable backup to that mix. That leaves you 5 men to replace plus a new starter at end.
                So who do you think is going to offer Owens big money? - I think he'll wait to see who the new GM/HC is and what they plan to do.

If we have a starting line of AN OTHER - Williams - Stroud - Schobel, there is no reason to think the new regime cannot give a lease of life to Ellis or Maybin or both. Spencer Johnson is decent depth and a rookie such as Arthur Jones and we have four DT.

At LB, we have Pos, I'm not as down as you are on Mitchell especially if he is used properly like Spagunolo used him for the Giants and we can find acceptable replacement for Ellison in FA or the draft.

Where does this 5 men come from?

As I said a decent GM should be able to find starters in Day1 and Day2 of the draft and we can find depth on Day3.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

Owens won't be resigned

Ingtar, you're on crack if you think Mitchell is worse then Ellison...Ellison shouldn't even be on the team. Is Mitchell a great LB, ummm, no...but he is better then Ellison will ever be.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

The offensive line is a train wreck, and we don't have a starting quarterback (unless Brian Brohm can rise to the position next season). Otherwise this is a pretty good team.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                      Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                      • Jul 2002

Just watching the Bills-Chiefs game and other weak teams like the Rams shows that we have significantly more talent on both sides of the ball than those teams. We have some playmakers, those teams have few. We certainly need a good amount of pieces to turn this mess around, but there's a decent foundation already in place.

I legitimately think that if the right decisions are made and the proper players acquired, we could turn this thing around fairly quickly. Whether that happens is anyone's guess though.

God give me style and give me grace
                      God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Defense:
                        It's just our linebackers, I love our D-line and our secondary. Posluszny & Ellison can stay, Posluszny is a solid starter but should be playing SLB (If that's the OLB typically responsible for covering tight ends and dropping back in coverage) Ellison should be a nice role player at OLB. The other two positions need a serious upgrade.

Offense:
                        Could use a starter at QB, WR, TE, LT, RT.

That's my summary.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ
                          The offensive line is a train wreck, and we don't have a starting quarterback (unless Brian Brohm can rise to the position next season). Otherwise this is a pretty good team.
                          ... primarily due to injuries.

Butler is a more than decent RT
                          Wood has talent at RG but could equally move to C
                          Hangartner does ok at C but I would be happy for him to move to RG
                          Levitre is coming along nicely at LG

.... so we need a starting LT and QB

Outside of the starters, Scott, Meredith and Bell provide nice depth able to start in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                            Defense:
                            It's just our linebackers, I love our D-line and our secondary. Posluszny & Ellison can stay, Posluszny is a solid starter but should be playing SLB (If that's the OLB typically responsible for covering tight ends and dropping back in coverage) Ellison should be a nice role player at OLB. The other two positions need a serious upgrade.

Offense:
                            Could use a starter at QB, WR, TE, LT, RT.

That's my summary.
                            Butler coming back is like having a new starter at RT. I think Nelson can easily step up and be a starter at TE.

And despite what people say I think Owens would accept another year or two contract at $6m to $7m as I am not sure who else might offer as much.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Butler coming back is like having a new starter at RT. I think Nelson can easily step up and be a starter at TE.

And despite what people say I think Owens would accept another year or two contract at $6m to $7m as I am not sure who else might offer as much.
                              I definitely agree that Butler is a starting caliber RT, but with both Butler & Wood coming back from injuries, I'd like another capable starter in the mix so we are more flexible with what we can do.

I'm hopeful that Owens comes back, I hope you're right.

Nelson is a bit small, he should be converted to a receiver, but who knows if he would have the speed to do that. He certainly doesn't seem to have the strength that a TE needs to be successful, DBs seem to handle him easily.
                              Last edited by PECKERWOOD; 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X