PDA

View Full Version : To Put How Good Jairus Byrd Is In Perspective..

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I would not trade him for ANY player in next year's draft, would you? Ndamukong and Eric Berry are considered to be the top two prospects next year and I can't see neither of them out performing what Jairus Byrd has done in his rookie year. This guy has been unbelievable, he has to be biggest steal on draft day that we've had in the last 10-15 years, easily. So here is the poll question, would you trade Jairus Byrd for the #1 overall pick next year? This is a public poll, so people will be able to see your answer.

Kenny
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
huh? a straightup trade?

Money factors aside, -I'd do it in a heartbeat. Suh vs. Byrd? defensive lineman vs. a safety? no question I'd go for Suh

Crisis
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
for suh?

in a heartbeat.

if suh wasn't in this draft, no.

EDS
12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Only an idiot wouldn't trade Byrd for the first pick in the draft.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 04:56 PM

You're ****ing nuts, he has 9 interceptions on the year, this is what 'Draft Experts' are hoping Eric Berry will accomplish at the next level.

Jairus Byrd > Eric Berry

Plus, our defensive line is not the problem and even if it were, you can't tell me that Suh will make nearly as many game changing plays that Jairus Byrd has made this year. Jairius Byrd is solely responsible for at least 3 of our wins, he has been that freaking amazing.

Jairus Byrd > Ndamukong Suh

HANDS DOWN!!!

DrGraves
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
byrd has had a nice year... but to not take suh would be insane.

Philagape
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
This thread is an idiot.

Don't Panic
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Byrd is a great player, no doubt there. But you're talking about getting the most talented player coming out of college football this year. Suh is the real deal. He will make an entire D line so much better it's ridiculous. If you plugged him into this D next to Stroud, he would make Schoebel a 10+ sack guy and make our run D in the top half of the league, if not top 10. I would trade Byrd for him before you could finish the question.

Oaf
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Obviously we'd take Byrd over any safety prospect from this draft or next, doesn't mean I wouldn't take a Pro Bowl caliber LB, LT, QB, WR, or DT over him though. Wilson, Scott, Whitner are more capable starters than Bell/Scott (shudder), Poz/Mitchell/Ellison (shudder), Fitzpatrick (shudder), anyways.

nateodoms'bff
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
there is no way i would make that trade.

as stated above, the problem on the defense is the linebackers, not the d-line. Byrd has pro-bowl safety written all over him. to bad he plays on a team that gets zero attention at all...

EDS
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
You're ****ing nuts, he has 9 interceptions on the year, this is what 'Draft Experts' are hoping Eric Berry will accomplish at the next level.

Jairus Byrd > Eric Berry

Plus, our defensive line is not the problem and even if it were, you can't tell me that Suh will make nearly as many game changing plays that Jairus Byrd has made this year. Jairius Byrd is solely responsible for at least 3 of our wins, he has been that freaking amazing.

Jairus Byrd > Ndamukong Suh

HANDS DOWN!!!

I guarantee that every GM in the NFL would trade Byrd for the first pick in the draft. He has some gaudy intereception numbers, which is great for a rookie, but that is about it. The team still stinks.

Henry Jones had 10 ints one year - didn't mean the Bills wouldn't trade him for the first pick in the subsequent draft if the opportunity presented itself.

Anthony Henry intercepted 10 passes as a rookie for Cleveland. Didn't mean he would not get traded for the number one pick in the draft either.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
:monkeyp:

This thread is an idiot.

Just goes to show you that some people will NEVER be satisfied, and the grass is truly always greener on the other side.

Out of all the safeties taken in the top 10 over the last 20 years, hell, even in the top 5, this is what they wanted their safety to be. If Eric Berry comes in in 2010 and produces a THIRD of what Jairus Byrd has done, his rookie season will be considered successful. Seriously, 9 interceptions on the year and he missed a quarter of the season whilst we still have 3 games left to play.

I'd say trade me Ndamukong Suh PLUS extra players or picks, Jairus Byrd is something special man. I haven't seen a safety like this in a long time.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
You'd stiff arm Suh?

Crisis
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
:monkeyp:

Just goes to show you that some people will NEVER be satisfied, and the grass is truly always greener on the other side.

Lol, no one else made a thread about this. I'm pretty sure everyone is satisfied with our secondary, however given the chance you should always take an elite DT over an elite safety - and it's too early to call either elite, but thats pretty much the premise of this thread, no?

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Put yourself on the other side. Would you trade your draft pick, 1st overall, for Jairus Byrd?

That's laughable.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt trade Byrd... that would put us in serious safety trouble.
This whole thing is pointless anyways. NOBODY.., would trade the 1st overall pick in the draft for Byrd, even with his production

Yasgur's Farm
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Nobody would give the #1 for Byrd... Suh all the way!!

mikemac2001
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
the only game i saw suh play was against Texas and he wowed me i couldn't believe how much of a force he was...i didn;t know what everyone was talking about.

SUH would help our entire defense

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Put yourself on the other side. Would you trade your draft pick, 1st overall, for Jairus Byrd?

That's laughable.
That depends, if my intentions were to draft Eric Berry, I think I would. I'm sorry, but if anybody here thinks Suh or Berry will have a bigger impact than Jairus Byrd has had in his rookie season, I will bet you all my ZBs that Byrd has the better rookie season in comparison, it's just a no brainer. The only way Suh becomes the better draft choice, is if he mounts like 8-10 sacks in his rookie year, which is unbelievable, I just don't see that happening. There is no Payton Manning in this draft, no elite signal caller, I'd rather hold onto Byrd.

Griff
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
how do you trade away a guy who leads the league in INTs in his rookie season?

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
how do you trade away a guy who leads the league in INTs in his rookie season?

Exactly, bro.

Hypothetically speaking, if Byrd could re-enter the draft after his first pro-season with Buffalo, he would be a top 5 pick, EASILY. He would at LEAST be drafted before Eric Berry, who in many people's eyes is the 2nd best player overall in the draft. I suppose you could make a case for Suh if you like, but holy cow, I would NOT take a gamble like that. We finally have a superstar caliber player on our team, it would take Suh + players and or picks.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Peckerface, superstardom is built over time. You should slow down a little bit. What we have in Byrd is a very promising rookie.

Boomstick
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Suh is one hell of a player... but so was Big Daddy Wilkinson... I'd rather hang on to the comodity that has proved its value to us already. Especially with the high possibility of the uncapped year, next season.
So, I'm hanging on to Byrd.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Peckerface, superstardom is built over time. You should slow down a little bit. What we have in Byrd is a very promising rookie.

Last I checked, Byrd is a VETERAN in comparison to Ndamukong Suh & Eric Berry, so why exactly should I slow down?? Are you denying that if Jairus Byrd could declare for the 2010 NFL Draft that he wouldn't be a top 5 pick in the draft?? He would be one of the first 3 players taken off the board at the least!!!

YardRat
12-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd trade Byrd for Suh in a second.

I'm pretty excited for the kid right now, and he's a helluva centerfielder, but he still has quite a ways to go to be a Pro Bowler.

Suh, realistically, is an unknown quantity at the NFL level despite all of the hype, but I'd still take the chance.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 07:50 PM
For the first overall pick?

Another team would be ******ed to take that trade.

Anthony Henry had 10 picks as a rookie, where did his career go?

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
O J Atogwe has led the league in interceptions but no-one thinks he is an elite safety.

Interceptions are only one part of a safety's play

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I didn't even address that whole scenario because it's an absolute silly hindsight is 20/20 arguement. Why don't we let Byrd sit out a year and next years entire draft class play out the year and then see where he gets taken? Or maybe we can go ahead ten years and take a look at Byrd vs. the rest of next years draft class and take that information and turn back time and put them all in the same talent pool and then run a draft and then see what happens going forward. I don't write a lot of run on sentences and that was is there for a reason...

Last I checked, Byrd is a VETERAN in comparison to Ndamukong Suh & Eric Berry, so why exactly should I slow down?? Are you denying that if Jairus Byrd could declare for the 2010 NFL Draft that he wouldn't be a top 5 pick in the draft?? He would be one of the first 3 players taken off the board at the least!!!

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I didn't even address that whole scenario because it's an absolute silly hindsight is 20/20 arguement. Why don't we let Byrd sit out a year and next years entire draft class play out the year and then see where he gets taken? Or maybe we can go ahead ten years and take a look at Byrd vs. the rest of next years draft class and take that information and turn back time and put them all in the same talent pool and then run a draft and then see what happens going forward. I don't write a lot of run on sentences and that was is there for a reason...

Was superstardom built over time with Adrian Peterson or any other rookie who came in and demolished the NFL? It isn't a hindsight 20/20 argument when you factor in real life value and what a player is actually worth. To me, there is no player in the 2010 draft that I would rather have over Jairus Byrd, nobody. If Suh and Berry are #1 & #2, then I'll keep Jairus Byrd over either of them.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
So you are saying Byrd is demolishing the NFL now? You are saying he plays a position that is critical to gaining yards and scoring points? You are saying that he plays a position that is typically short lived in the current NFL and the best players at those positions make the most impact on the games? Really, you are stretching it comparing Byrd to Peterson. When Byrd doesn't make a play or screws up you never see that but you see the Int's. Get a grip man.

Was superstardom built over time with Adrian Peterson or any other rookie who came in and demolished the NFL? It isn't a hindsight 20/20 argument when you factor in real life value and what a player is actually worth. To me, there is no player in the 2010 draft that I would rather have over Jairus Byrd, nobody. If Suh and Berry are #1 & #2, then I'll keep Jairus Byrd over either of them.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Honestly perckerman when Byrd scores a dozen TDs from the defensive side of the ball I'll agree with you...but there is only a few weeks left and he's not going to do that. He made one big play today and it was on a tipped ball where he was just standing there waiting for it. You are taking all your homerism energy that you have no where to place and putting it on Byrd.

EDS
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Byrd has not "demolished the NFL" by any stretch. It is highly unlikely at this point he would be rookie of the year.

Do you honestly think Byrd is on the same level as Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed?

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I will admit though...I really wanted that last INT to be his and have no idea why Wilson ripped it away from him.

jamze132
12-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Why would anyone trade away a rookie with 9 int. for a 1st round pick? That player who has not been drafted yet is an unknown. That rookie we have with 9 int's is not an unknown. You don't trade that kind of production. Besides, we would be stuck with Whitner and Scott and Wilson. **** that.

Ingtar33
12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Byrd has not "demolished the NFL" by any stretch. It is highly unlikely at this point he would be rookie of the year.

Byrd is having a rookie year far superior to both Reed and Polamalu (actually he's already had more ints then them combined)... and frankly... he should be up in the discussion for Defensive Player of the Year along with Defensive Rookie of the Year... and Rookie of the Year. The trick will be Orakpo, who is the only other rookie on either side of the ball who should be in the discussion for RotY and DRotY.

the last few weeks will deturman it. if Byrd can get to 14 INTs, he'll break the NFL rookie record and probably will win all three awards.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Why would anyone trade away a rookie with 9 int. for a 1st round pick? That player who has not been drafted yet is an unknown. That rookie we have with 9 int's is not an unknown. You don't trade that kind of production. Besides, we would be stuck with Whitner and Scott and Wilson. **** that.

To be technical, Byrd is still somewhat an unknown.

Anthony Henry put up 10 int's as a rookie and never approached being as good ever again in his career.

Not saying the same will happen, but it could.

If he puts up another productive season then I'd say he is a proven guy.

And no, I'm not expecting another 9 INT season for him to do it.

Griff
12-14-2009, 12:59 AM
I love how you people favor potential over actual performance.

Griff
12-14-2009, 01:01 AM

he's played as well as they have this season.

TrEd FTW
12-14-2009, 01:20 AM
I'd trade Byrd for Suh in a second.

I'm pretty excited for the kid right now, and he's a helluva centerfielder, but he still has quite a ways to go to be a Pro Bowler.

Not really. If nine interceptions is "quite a ways" from the Pro Bowl, then there is a problem. Byrd should be a no-brainer for the Pro Bowl with the numbers he's amassed.

Anyway, to answer the question, I would trade Byrd for Suh. That's it. No one else in this draft wows me. Suh, however, is a franchise-changing DT.

Jan Reimers
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Why trade a guy who is already playing at a Pro Bowl level - Byrd's 9 interceptions lead the league - for a potential Pro Bowler? You are just creating one hole that you already have filled, to fill another.

Only if there were a true franchise QB in this draft would I consider it.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I love Byrd too, but the love for him is getting a bit crazy.

Until he is at least average in run support, he is not an elite safety or player.

It is one season that he has a ton of ints. let's not place his bust in Canton quite yet.

ParanoidAndroid
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
A dominating DT like Suh would have more impact on the flow of a game and an opposing offense's game plan, than a FS who ball hawks...even as well as Byrd does.

I've watched Suh several times now. The better the competition, the better he plays. I've seen him toss around enough offensive linemen to know he's going to be elite at the next level. I have never said that about a potential draft pick before.... I have never had this level of confidence about a college player.... He IS that good!

So, as a hypothetical scenario, I would take Suh and give the Rams Jairus Byrd for the rights to pick him.

PECKERWOOD
12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I love Byrd too, but the love for him is getting a bit crazy.

Until he is at least average in run support, he is not an elite safety or player.

It is one season that he has a ton of ints. let's not place his bust in Canton quite yet.
The way people overrate the draft and underrate what we currently have is what's crazy, it's been awhile since I've posted this thread and I'm glad to see that 54% ruled in my favor. Eric Berry is the 2nd best overall prospect on many pundits boards and truth be told, I'd rather have Byrd over Berry.

BillsRGreat
12-21-2009, 05:27 AM

Seriously??

Come-on... seriously???

yordad
12-21-2009, 06:01 AM
He doesn't even start. We start Donte "Oh come on thats not pass interference" Whitner.

Griff
12-21-2009, 06:28 AM
the problem is, we don't know who in the draft will be a superstar and who will be the surprising bust. I would rather keep a budding superstar than risk losing him for draft bust #292