PDA

View Full Version : Orakpo with 4 More Sacks Today

PISSCHUNK
12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Another nice move by the management team.

Them Longhorns always suck.

Late

TacklingDummy
12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Ouch, makes the Maybin pick look even worse.

TacklingDummy
12-13-2009, 07:02 PM
The drafting that's been going on the past 10 years is pathetic.

SquishDaFish
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Dude come on now. If we would of drafted him he prob wouldnt even sniff the field either. With this piss poor mismanged team he would be in same boat as Maybin.

OpIv37
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
but Maybin has more "potential."

I wish the league kept "potential" as an official stat. With all the rookies and low-round draft picks playing on this team, we'd lead the NFL every year.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I wanted Orakpo too, but to be honest, I'm getting sick of being reminded of this failure. Every time a person brings this up, it's like getting kicked in the nuts and I'm sick of it.

YardRat
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
It would be nice if someone could go back far enough and research all of the draft threads and compare what this board's consensus was vs. the actual draft picks.

I'm betting the board would win.

OpIv37
I wanted Orakpo too, but to be honest, I'm getting sick of being reminded of this failure. Every time a person brings this up, it's like getting kicked in the nuts and I'm sick of it.

well, go buy a jock strap and a cup, because until either Maybin starts outplaying Orakpo or they're both out of the league, fans are going to keep bringing it up. And they have every right to be pissed at management for such a poor decision.

TacklingDummy

This nut kicking is going to hurt for years. Maybin we be a bust.

X-Era
Remember these threads?:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173773&page=2&highlight=orakpo

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173779&highlight=orakpo

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Dude come on now. If we would of drafted him he prob wouldnt even sniff the field either. With this piss poor mismanged team he would be in same boat as Maybin.

Hey, you think our FO is great so what are you talking about?

mikemac2001
12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
ya when they said maybin i was like AHHHHHHH but then i thought you never know with rookies...so i will give maybin his time but looking back might be a huge mistake.

TacklingDummy
12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Most Bills fans on here would have done a better job of drafting than this front office has.

OpIv37
12-13-2009, 07:11 PM
ya when they said maybin i was like AHHHHHHH but then i thought you never know with rookies...so i will give maybin his time but looking back might be a huge mistake.

I felt the same way. I hated the pick, but after they made it, I figured I'd give him a chance, knowing that he'd be a project and wouldn't produce right away.

But honestly, I NEVER thought he would still be completely useless this late in the year. I figured there would be some improvement, but there isn't.

X-Era
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM

I think he can be decent, but not as we have been using him.

I think he will either be used as a OLB in a 3-4 if we change schemes, or that he will put on 10+ pounds of muscle and be much better next year.

His motor is good, his speed is good, and I still think he has a shot. But we blew this pick by passing on Orakpo.

mikemac2001
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
TO op and X

Once we get a new coach we can really see what we have. it seems like he was one year behind anyways so next year will tell

sucks to see other rookies laying the wood down

SquishDaFish
12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey, you think our FO is great so what are you talking about?

I NEVER said our Front office is great so get that out of your fn head. Dont bring your JP mancrush into here.

PECKERWOOD
12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
This nut kicking is going to hurt for years. Maybin we be a bust.

I know, I think that Maybin is going to be a good player in the NFL, but Orakpo is going to be a star.. If we drafted Orakpo plus Byrd, we'd be well on our way to a championship.

YardRat
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Remember these threads?:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173773&page=2&highlight=orakpo

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173779&highlight=orakpo

I know I liked Revis a lot, and can remember (?) support for Ngata, Mangold, etc.

We'd be in pretty decent shape right now with those three plus Orakpo, even without taking into account some of the other drafts :sad:

Either that, or they'd be all ****ed up like the guys we actually drafted.

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I NEVER said our Front office is great so get that out of your fn head. Dont bring your JP mancrush into here.

JP?? I was pretty much heading the "JP sucks" bandwagon in 2007. Wrong poster.

SquishDaFish
12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
JP?? I was pretty much heading the "JP sucks" bandwagon in 2007. Wrong poster.

Um your mancrush on Jason Peters is what I was talking about. WOW right over your head

soapman
12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Damn Sam Bowie of DE draft picks...

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM

Yes he would.

Everywhere Maybin is deficient, Orakpo is not.

Maybin doesn't see the field because of his own limitations, mental and physical, not because of the piss poor management.

It's the piss poor managements' fault for drafting him over Orakpo.

T-Long
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
It's funny that fans of this team are much more informed than the guys actually making the decisions. It's ridiculous.

kernowboy
12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
We could also argue about the merits of taking Trevor Scott of Buffalo over Chris Ellis in 2008.

No-one saw how that would work out.

Oaf
12-13-2009, 08:12 PM
While I agree to some extent, Bob Sanders has done great things with players Kelsay and Spencer Johnson. Now THAT'S a feat guys. Hard to imagine he couldn't get anything out of Orakpo.

yordad
12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Ever seen either play? Ever seen either at all? Maybin looks like Orakpo's son. Orakpo looks like he could eat Schobel, then take his job. Orakpo would be a day one starter as our LDE. Maybin appears lucky to contribute on third downs at this point.

Whatever, I can wait a year or two before you tell me I am the master. When Orakpo gets ROY, I expect gifts. :(
That is what I had to say August 11th, before he signed here. :idunno:

John Doe
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
There is no doubt that, at this point, Orapko is the better player.

Just keep in mind that Maybin is 2 years younger - one of the youngest players in the league - and should still be in college. He may still prove to be an impact player.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
All of this comparing the rookies talk would be completely unreasonable if they hadn't billed our guy as one that was going to make an impact on the pass rush right away.

HHURRICANE
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
There is no doubt that, at this point, Orapko is the better player.

Just keep in mind that Maybin is 2 years younger - one of the youngest players in the league - and should still be in college. He may still prove to be an impact player.

I wish he had stayed in college.

THATHURMANATOR
12-13-2009, 09:00 PM
seriously. It is so gay. Like I made a bad draft choice or something....

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Orakpo > Maybin
End of story

patmoran2006
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
IF.. Aaron Maybin has a good future on this team, it will come if they move him next year to OLB.. He's brutal at DE.. Lane assignments, strength, thought process, everything.

He has ONE strength.. He could potentially be a devastating speed pass rusher from the outside. However, if they utilize him correctly in the future, that's more than enough.

I am assuming we drafted him with him being the next Suggs in mind.. I cant fathom they think he'll ever be a complete every down DE in the NFL.

OpIv37
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
We could also argue about the merits of taking Trevor Scott of Buffalo over Chris Ellis in 2008.

No-one saw how that would work out.

Oh please. Maybin was 230 lbs and was a starter for 1 season when he was drafted. Orakpo was 270 and all muscle, and had more college experience. Everyone from national draft analysts to posters on this board had Orakpo higher than Maybin. It's easy to second-guess draft picks, but this isn't one of those cases. This one was obvious to everyone except One Bills Drive.

we are
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh please. Maybin was 230 lbs and was a starter for 1 season when he was drafted. Orakpo was 270 and all muscle, and had more college experience. Everyone from national draft analysts to posters on this board had Orakpo higher than Maybin. It's easy to second-guess draft picks, but this isn't one of those cases. This one was obvious to everyone except One Bills Drive.

Where have you seen Orakpo at 270?

And there were plenty of analysts and sites that had Maybin higher. I was very high on Orakpo predraft and I defended him a lot actually. But that doesn't mean Maybin can't be a successful player.

However its become obvious it won't be at DE. I like his chances at OLB with his speed and quickness...he just doesn't have a DE frame, he looks like Julian Peterson to me.

BillsFanCupp38
12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Personally I hated the Maybin over Orakpo pick. I am not just saying this in hinesight. Orakpo is bigger and more of a 4-3 DE. I know Schobel is only like 243 lbs. But his size is not ideal for a DE. Another Buffalo pick down the drain. Maybe Maybin can turn into something but I am not counting on it.

THATHURMANATOR
12-13-2009, 11:38 PM
**** Orapko, he isnt on the Bills.

Lets focus on Maybin. It is obvious he won't succeed as a D end unless he somehow bulks up BIGTIME and even then who knows.

If we move to 3-4 next year I assume He will be moved to an outside passrush LB spot a la Biscuit Bennet. I think in that role he has the tools to succeed.

Oaf
12-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Orakpo's 6 sacks was not going to save this sorry season. Not like the Redskin's are in a better spot than we are anyways. Let's wait for the long term results to see if things even out between the two- long term potential was the only consideration for Maybin anyways.

Bills are still idiots for the pick but there's no reason this guy can't excel next year or the next.

TacklingDummy
12-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Orakpo's 6 sacks was not going to save this sorry season.

11 sacks, more than Maybin will have in his career.

DesertFox24
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
well, go buy a jock strap and a cup, because until either Maybin starts outplaying Orakpo or they're both out of the league, fans are going to keep bringing it up. And they have every right to be pissed at management for such a poor decision.

Jevon Kearse lite up the league his first year then did nothing after that.

Lets not base their whole careers and on both of theirs rookie seasons.

Maybin could be the next John Abraham and that is a lot better than whatever Orakpo will be.

Granted I will agree Orakpo was more pro ready but Maybin has the much higher ceiling.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Granted I will agree Orakpo was more pro ready but Maybin has the much higher ceiling.

I would be more inclined to agree with you if I saw any improvement out of Maybin whatsoever. Everyone knew he would be a project, especially after missing most of camp. I figured he'd look like garbage early and develop later in the year as he conditioned and adjusted to the NFL. But he looks no better now than he did after week 1. Literally zero improvement.

In fact, in the Jets game, he made a tackle on S/T and I thought "58? Who the hell is 58?", and I had to rewind it to see the name on the back of the jersey. And I know nearly every single player on this team. He's so irrelevant that I had completely forgotten about him for about two weeks.

The "higher ceiling" argument is what was used to justify the pick at draft time, and I understand that he is very young and lacks experience. But, honestly, he's a very undersized DE who started for one season in college. It's a high ceiling that comes with high risk.

DesertFox24
12-14-2009, 08:15 AM
I would be more inclined to agree with you if I saw any improvement out of Maybin whatsoever. Everyone knew he would be a project, especially after missing most of camp. I figured he'd look like garbage early and develop later in the year as he conditioned and adjusted to the NFL. But he looks no better now than he did after week 1. Literally zero improvement.

In fact, in the Jets game, he made a tackle on S/T and I thought "58? Who the hell is 58?", and I had to rewind it to see the name on the back of the jersey. And I know nearly every single player on this team. He's so irrelevant that I had completely forgotten about him for about two weeks.

The "higher ceiling" argument is what was used to justify the pick at draft time, and I understand that he is very young and lacks experience. But, honestly, he's a very undersized DE who started for one season in college. It's a high ceiling that comes with high risk.

Ok but he gets a fraction of the playing time as Orakpo and is two years younger than Orakpo. These are factors that no one is considering, did the bills take a gamble on someone with a lot of potential yes.

Lets just for argument sake say we took Orakpo and he gets his 5- 10 sacks every year. How stupid would everyone feel if Maybin would have gone to the skins and been a dwight freeney or John Abraham by his 3rd year. You guys would have been cursing and screaming for passing on a star for an average player, who is great against the run.

Just like with McKelvin everyone is ready to throw the guy to wolves, wait till year 3 before you judge.

McKelvin - wait till next year
Maybin - wait till after 2011 season
Lynch - good player will be the starter next year, and yes he and jackson should both be on this team. Does it hurt Miami to have Williams and brown.
Whitner - not worth the 8th pick but has had a better season this year despite injuries. Should get an extension that averages out to top 10 strong safety money.

I will throw Poz in here as well - finally is getting it and looks to be a stud in the making.

McCargo - bust
Hardy - the guy has barely played
Bryd - wait till 2011 hopefully this was not a one year wonder
Levitre and Wood - have/were getting a lot better I expect our Interior OL to be a strength in the years to come. Hang is much better than Fowler and Preston.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Orakpo came into the league physically ready to compete. Maybin sat around for 2 months losing weight. He looks like an NBA player right now which is why is wears a neck roll.

Maybin needs an entire off-season of eating and working out to get to where Orakpo is now.

I admit, I liked the pick, but I always had in the back of my mind that Orakpo might have been the safer, more NFL ready prospect.

The good news is that although Orakpo leads NFL rookies in sacks, BYRD leads the league in INTS.

THATHURMANATOR
12-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Are babies still whining about some douche not even on the Bills?

How sad...

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 09:02 AM

How sad...
I think the fact that we needed a pass rusher and the more accomplished and NFL ready player was there for the taking and we passed on him for the high potential player makes this a fair issue to discuss.

kelly2reed4six
12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
This guy is making his case for Rookie of the Year!

Night Train
12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
He plays for the Redskins, who have less wins than the Bills.

8 of his 11 sacks have come against Carolina, Detroit,Tampa, KC & Oakland. How are those teams doing again this year ? Plays great against bad teams... while playing for a bad team.

I want to see how many sacks he gets against the Giants,Eagles & Cowboys in his division. Here it is...Zero. Zero is also the number of divisional wins for the Skins.

Conclusion - I like Orakpo and he's a good, young player who can beat the teams with little talent. Much like Schobel, he cleans up against a bad opponent, which can make his stats VERY misleading.

I called it.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 11:51 AM

8 of his 11 sacks have come against Carolina, Detroit,Tampa, KC & Oakland. How are those teams doing again this year ? Plays great against bad teams... while playing for a bad team.

I want to see how many sacks he gets against the Giants,Eagles & Cowboys in his division. Here it is...Zero. Zero is also the number of divisional wins for the Skins.

Conclusion - I like Orakpo and he's a good, young player who can beat the teams with little talent. Much like Schobel, he cleans up against a bad opponent, which can make his stats VERY misleading.

I called it.
What has Maybin done against ANY team?

If we say that about Orakpo the same can be said about Byrd. Which elite QB has he picked off?

Bill Cody
12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Maybin needs an entire off-season of eating and working out to get to where Orakpo is now.

I could be wrong but he doesn't look like he has the frame to add a ton of weight, some but not a lot. Unless he goes on the Shawn Merriman diet plan he is going to be vastly undersized forever for a DE.

Philagape
12-14-2009, 12:09 PM

I called it.

So Orapko would have fit right in here.

Mike
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Honestly,
I will bet all of my zone bucks, what little i have anyway, that Orakpo will have more sacks by this Season's end, as a rookie, than Maybin will have at DE for his first 3years combined.

THATHURMANATOR
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Honestly,
I will bet all of my zone bucks, what little i have anyway, that Orakpo will have more sacks by this Season's end, as a rookie, than Maybin will have at DE for his first 3years combined.WILL YOU? Who cares ?

billsburgh
12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
IF.. Aaron Maybin has a good future on this team, it will come if they move him next year to OLB.. He's brutal at DE.. Lane assignments, strength, thought process, everything.

He has ONE strength.. He could potentially be a devastating speed pass rusher from the outside. However, if they utilize him correctly in the future, that's more than enough.

I am assuming we drafted him with him being the next Suggs in mind.. I cant fathom they think he'll ever be a complete every down DE in the NFL.
Tamba Hali, who we saw yesterday with the Chiefs, played the same position as Maybin at PSU. I think we would see similar results with Maybin if he was playing OLB in a 3-4 like Hali is now.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I could be wrong but he doesn't look like he has the frame to add a ton of weight, some but not a lot. Unless he goes on the Shawn Merriman diet plan he is going to be vastly undersized forever for a DE.
Very possible.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Tamba Hali, who we saw yesterday with the Chiefs, played the same position as Maybin at PSU. I think we would see similar results with Maybin if he was playing OLB in a 3-4 like Hali is now.
Hali is a big man. He's like 265. He had succeeded as a DE and now he is slowly making a transition into an OLB.

Maybin is nothing like Hali.

PromoTheRobot
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Byrd has 9 INTs. You hit some. You miss some. 31 teams were idiots to not draft Byrd.

PTR

Mr. Pink
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM

How sad...

I'm whining about the douche we have instead sir!

Stop being REDICULOUS!

X-Era
12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
This guy is making his case for Rookie of the Year!

Thats great... too bad Byrd has it pretty much locked up.

mysticsoto
12-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Byrd has 9 INTs. You hit some. You miss some. 31 teams were idiots to not draft Byrd.

PTR

Yeah, but we miss alot more than we hit! :(

SquishDaFish
12-16-2009, 05:29 PM
11 sacks, more than Maybin will have in his career.

I bet anything that you will eat these words. You will be wrong on this