PDA

View Full Version : What are we going to do post-Owens?

Oaf
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
At this point, lets say 80% Owens is gone. Who's the #2, or arguably #1?

1. Hardy?
2. Johnson?
3. High round rookie? (Another non-LB/OL/QB pick)
4. FA? (WHO?)
5. Reed/Parrish/Jenkins/Peerless Price? :rockon:
6. Byrd?

Typ0
12-13-2009, 08:29 PM
"what are we going to do post owens"?

Get better at the position.

DrGraves
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
We are ****ed. I know our line/QB suck but Evans is not a #1 WR. He isn't even a factor in the games...

Oaf
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
"what are we going to do post owens"?

Get better at the position.
Great post. Consider it case closed guys.

Here's a new question, Tpyo: HOW do we plan to get better?

It definitely seems that we are going to have to allocate something significant on WR that will again take away from addressing other positions that are needs now.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Lee Evans would be a top 10 WR on a team like the Eagles or the Saints or anyone with a GOOD passing game

Typ0
12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Great post. Consider it case closed guys.

Here's a new question, Tpyo: HOW do we plan to get better?

Gee, I don't know. Perhaps having a guy, any guy, on the field that will play hard on every play will help to get better. Maybe someone that doesn't drop so many balls. Seriously, with a good QB TO is going to work harder and he's a weapon. With us he's a waste of time and general team killer IMO. We would be better if we replaced him with Roscoe Parrish.

Typ0
12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Lee Evans would be a top 10 WR on a team like the Eagles or the Saints or anyone with a GOOD passing game

He wouldn't even be a starter.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I strongly disagree with this statement. :cuss:
Evans has talent that this team fails to take advantage of

OpIv37
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM

1. Hardy?
2. Johnson?
4. FA? (WHO?)
6. Byrd?

This is another example of the Bills leading the league in "potential." Both Hardy and Steve Johnson have a lot of potential, but neither have done **** yet. And this is Josh Reed's contract year.

It looks like we're going to have to find a WR in the draft.

OpIv37
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Evans would have 1000 yards a season in Philly or NE, easy.

The Juice Is Loose
12-13-2009, 11:06 PM

I agree that with an elite QB Evans would be a solid receiver. He has great footwork, runs great routes, and has dependable hands when its accurately thrown.

However, he'll never be a TOP TOP WR to me, because he lacks any physicality to his game. I've never seen him break a tackle, or run after the catch barring the standard over the top fly route.

He's definately a starter, definatley good, i want him on my team, but he is not the complete pro bowl type receiver we'd hoped he'd become.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2009, 11:16 PM

On either of those teams he'd be the 3rd or 4th option.

He's not getting to 1000 with not many looks.

Typ0
12-14-2009, 02:11 AM

Maybe if he was the only guy there. But just plop him down on those teams and he's down on the depth chart. Sorry, he's just not that good.

kernowboy
12-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I don't think Owens will leave.

At his age, he has lost some of his negotiating advantage. Some of his previous behaviours will count heavily against him.

The Bills will be able to offer him as much as anyone else and I think Owens will stand pat until he finds out who the Head Coach is and what that persons plans are.

Having seen the Rams go from a 4-12 team in 1998 to winning the SuperBowl in 1999 and having seen the turnrounds that Miami and Atlanta accomplished with a new GM and Coach between 2007 and 2008, Owens is intelligent enough not to leap before he has had a good look at all of his options, one of which includes staying.

Night Train
12-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Go get a cheap vet as a fallback option, in case Steve Johnson isn't ready. Hardy looks stictly to be a 3rd down/red zone player, with his injury history.

Don't waste a draft pick on WR. We need front 7 on D and OL.

ParanoidAndroid
12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
This debate about Evans is rubbish!
He would be #2 in New Orleans next to Colston and he would not be a fit in Philly because Jackson is a similar type of player, but he'd still be their 2nd best. He would be Brett Favre's #1 in Viking land.... He would be #2 in Indy.... He'd be #1 in Dallas.... and in all those places, he would be consistently over the 75 catch, 1000yd mark.

No one seems to remember that he has 2 - 1000+ yd seasons here with one of the worst passing games in football since the razzle-dazzle was invented.

He might not be the #1 posession-type receiver teams look for, but he's definitely a good receiver.

Beastie Bills
12-14-2009, 08:18 AM
He would be Brett Favre's #1 in Viking land.... He would be #2 in Indy.... He'd be #1 in Dallas.... and in all those places, he would be consistently over the 75 catch, 1000yd mark.

No.

Miles Austin is better for sure. I think Sidney Rice is better than Evans as well.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 08:28 AM

1. Hardy?
2. Johnson?
4. FA? (WHO?)
6. Byrd?
The FO and new coach will not bank on Hardy or Johnson as the #2 seeing as how they are unproven.

I expect a #2 vet will be signed so we can bring the young guys along in lesser roles.

ParanoidAndroid
12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
No.

Miles Austin is better for sure. I think Sidney Rice is better than Evans as well.

You think, but if you look at what Evans has been able to do in the past with lesser QB's, you could think a second time, but I doubt you will, juice.

Beastie Bills
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
You think, but if you look at what Evans has been able to do in the past with lesser QB's, you could think a second time, but I doubt you will, juice.

Juice?

Anyway, you're wrong. Lee doesn't get nearly as many targets as he should, I definitely won't deny that. But targets or no targets, he still gets manhandled by CB's, never fights for the ball, and never gets yards after catch (unless he's already behind the defensive backs).

justasportsfan
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Word. It's not hard to defend Lee. Get to our crappy qb's and he's done.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Juice?

Anyway, you're wrong. Lee doesn't get nearly as many targets as he should, I definitely won't deny that. But targets or no targets, he still gets manhandled by CB's, never fights for the ball, and never gets yards after catch (unless he's already behind the defensive backs).
While I agree that Evans has looked like a one-trick pony these days, he does fight for the ball when given the opportunity.

I would love to see how Evans could be used with a real QB. So far in his career he has not shown that he is a complete receiver though.

Bill Cody
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Hopefully we'll give TO's money to a new coach, not yet another assclown. Until we have a QB and a LT you could have a young Jerry Rice at #1 and it wouldn't matter.

ddaryl
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
It's not like TO has made us a better team, so I can't say I am worried about this much

blow up the house of cards and start from scratch

Typ0
12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Hopefully we'll give TO's money to a new coach, not yet another assclown. Until we have a QB and a LT you could have a young Jerry Rice at #1 and it wouldn't matter.

Why do we have to divert player money to the coaching staff?