PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS on ESPN: Jake Locker is staying at school!

Michael82
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM
All you Jake Locker fans will have to wait another year. Kirk Herbstreit on ESPN College Football live is reporting that Washington QB Jake Locker will be returning for his senior season.

Bravo82
12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
what an idiot.

DrGraves
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
didn't want him anyways.

don137
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I am not saying I want the guy because I will be the first to admit I do not follow the college game as indepth as many others but this does suck for the Bills. That is one less QB available on the board and only raises the value of the other QBs in the draft.
It sucked when Eli, Ben and Philip Rivers came out. The Bills were hoping one would fall and all were taken by 13. We ended up trading up for Losman...Man I hope that does not happen again to us where they reach because nothng left in the talent pool.

Pinkerton Security
12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
what an idiot.

1) he would have gone before us if he did come out
2) hes not an idiot, he needs more seasoning

Bill Cody
12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
ugh

DraftBoy
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
No shock and he needed to go back to school.

Michael82
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm shocked! If he had a good combine, he would have been a top 5 draft pick. He was moving up all the charts. Didn't he see what happened to Sam Bradford? :shakeno:

Demon
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Good decision by him. In a interview with his coach on fox sports radio i heard maybe 2 weeks ago, Sarkisian said Locker was very worried about the percentage of under classmen who do fail in the NFL from the QB position. Sarkisian said he told Locker all the pro's and all the negatives of returning and he would make up his own mind, but it sounded like Locker was having second thoughts. Even the radio host said something along those lines and Sarkisian said he didn't know if it was second thoughts but just didn't truly feel he was ready yet.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Claussen should have done the same thing

patmoran2006
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Good for him.
Bad for us.

Even if the Bills couldnt get to him/or didnt want him, it was a good chance another player slid down to us.

FlyingDutchman
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
damn he was the QB i wanted out of all the scrub QBs coming out. i dont know if any of you guys had a chance to watch this guy saturday, but one QB that has been impressing me all year is Armani Edwards from Appalachain State. I live in NC so i get all of their games. This kid is no joke. I think he'll be a serious sleeper in this draft. He has the mobility of Vince Young, is pretty darn accurate, and has a good football IQ. He seems to stay very calm. App state lost saturday, but he still impressed me. The last drive of the game, he gave his team the chance to tie with some very tough conditions both weather wise, as well as game situation

streetkings01
12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
He might have screwed himself with that. He may have been the #1 QB off the board this year.......next year he'll be #2 behind Ponder.

BillsWin
12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Great. Now Saint Louis will draft Sam Bradford and we'll get stuck with Jimmy Clausen.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Okung will slid. Doubtful though.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Bradford will be gone now
:(

T-Long
12-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Why the hell would you not declare with more than likely you would be a top 10 pick? If not, at LEAST a 1st rounder? He's just another Sam Bradford.

Granted, we wouldn't have had a shot at him more than likely, but he at least would have slid Claussen or Bradford down to us. Not saying we would have chosen them, but I would at least like the option.

Michael82
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM

yup. :(

ddaryl
12-14-2009, 03:22 PM
This is a gamble... he needs another year in college, but he could've made bank if he went into the draft this year.

I would have been interested in Locker if we had a late 1st rd pick or if he fell to us in the 2nd possibly, but that proabably wasn't going to happen anyways.

Well at least the Dawgs will have a chance of being good next year.. Been a long time since the huskies mattered... that's what happens when you violate recruiting rules and get caught.

but none the less Being a Washington resisdent the Huskies and Cougs are my college teams, so maybe Locker can get Washington back to the Rose bowl in 2010. ( 2011 when they actually play the game )

FlyingDutchman
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM

trust me, thats a good thing

BillsWin
12-14-2009, 03:28 PM
The only way we are getting Bradford is if we move up, and I don't feel we have that luxury.

Ingtar33
12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
No shock and he needed to go back to school.

yep. unless he had a monster combine he would have gone in round three or later anyway.

no one would have drafted him in round one...

madness
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I hope Brohm magically turns into second coming of Jim Kelly because magic isn't going to help the crop of QB's in this draft/FA.

Beastie Bills
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
damn he was the QB i wanted out of all the scrub QBs coming out.

Me too, which is why I'm thrilled that he's staying in school.

What we need to do this offseason, is focus OLinemen, DLinemen and Linebackers. The only think that would keep me from drafting a Tackle with our first pick is if Locker somehow fell to us (which he wouldn't have). Now, we can build the line up, and get Locker next season with our top 5 draft pick.

Pinkerton Security
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
yep. unless he had a monster combine he would have gone in round three or later anyway.

uhh really? lots of so-called experts have him going as the 1st QB overall..

TheBrownBear
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Lol. What a clownish post. Locker was a guaranteed top 15 pick. By far the most upside of any quarterback in this class (if he had been part of it).

He was really the only guy I was interested in for the Bills. I'd like to see us pick up Vick and then wait to draft a QB in 2011. Fitz can back up Vick in the meantime.

yordad
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
That sucks.

Ingtar33
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Lol. What a clownish post. Locker was a guaranteed top 15 pick. By far the most upside of any quarterback in this class (if he had been part of it).

He was really the only guy I was interested in for the Bills. I'd like to see us pick up Vick and then wait to draft a QB in 2011. Fitz can back up Vick in the meantime.

stop talking until you actually watch locker play.

he's basically Colt McCoy with faster feet a stronger arm and no where near the accuracy.

Unless you're claiming that Colt McCoy (who i think is a far superior prospect in this draft) is a top 15 player then you've got no idea what you're talking about. (actually if you believe this then you don't know what you're talking about either)

He runs a 1 read option offense. He cant throw from the pocket (when asked to do so he has happy feat and is extremely uncomfortable). He's lucky if he can hit a WR standing still let alone in stride. and while, yes he's electric running the ball (he's the best running QB in this draft, yes, even better then Tebow) he's a joke throwing it.

So you think that a QB who would rather run then throw... can't throw particularly well on the run, can't throw particularly well in the pocket, doesn't look down field when he scrambles (ever) runs a 2 or 1 read offense (poorly) and who won a grand total of 9 games in 3 years is a top 15 draft pick then i got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. because you have to be the most gullible person in the world.

Looker has the most physical talent of any QB who will be in this draft. but to say he's green would be understating the problem. he need to develop a LOT more before he's even remotely ready to play on the practice squad of an NFL roster.

trapezeus
12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
So if the bills are still interested i say we offer him $10MM a year and a piece of the team. /sarcasm off.

/Sarcasm back on. if he gets better during his senior year and is still a very high pick, i have a feeling the bills still will get their shot at him. all in due time in the world of crappy bills football, people. all in due time.

Ed
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm shocked! If he had a good combine, he would have been a top 5 draft pick. He was moving up all the charts. Didn't he see what happened to Sam Bradford? :shakeno:
Maybe he actually wants to give himself a better chance to have a good career, which would in turn be much more profitable.

If you're Locker, do you really want the pressure that comes with being a high pick if you know you're not ready for it?

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
WOW.
I was quite surprised.
He would have been taken in the top 5 picks and is going back to school....
I like his attitude about it and put him at the top of your list for heisman candidates for next year. I thought he was the best QB coming out this year and now Bradford and Clasuen will fight for the 1st QB taken in the draft....
WHAT a weak QB class this will be...

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
He might have screwed himself with that. He may have been the #1 QB off the board this year.......next year he'll be #2 behind Ponder.

WHAT Ponder Locker no comparison....
Well they both play for crappy teams...

Locker would have been gone in the 1st 5 picks...

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM

Sorry to say this but have you seen Jake Locker play?
Do you even watch college football????
I know NFL scouts and Jake Locker would have been a top 5 pick in this draft.
You might want to look at college football a tad better before you make a statement like that....I have never even heard anyone say that Locker would be a late 1st round let alone a 2-3rd rounder......WOW.....WOW

Mr. Pink
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Smart long term decision by Locker.

He wasn't ready yet to make the transition to the NFL level. Another year of college ball may prepare him better for the transition to have a longer NFL career.

Sure, he may not be drafted as high next year as he would have this year BUT he has a greater chance at having a longer NFL career by doing this.

If he doesn't get hurt.

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Smart long term decision by Locker.

He wasn't ready yet to make the transition to the NFL level. Another year of college ball may prepare him better for the transition to have a longer NFL career.

Sure, he may not be drafted as high next year as he would have this year BUT he has a greater chance at having a longer NFL career by doing this.

If he doesn't get hurt.

I do agree with what you said....

TheBrownBear
12-14-2009, 05:49 PM
stop talking until you actually watch locker play.

he's basically Colt McCoy with faster feet a stronger arm and no where near the accuracy.

Unless you're claiming that Colt McCoy (who i think is a far superior prospect in this draft) is a top 15 player then you've got no idea what you're talking about. (actually if you believe this then you don't know what you're talking about either)

He runs a 1 read option offense. He cant throw from the pocket (when asked to do so he has happy feat and is extremely uncomfortable). He's lucky if he can hit a WR standing still let alone in stride. and while, yes he's electric running the ball (he's the best running QB in this draft, yes, even better then Tebow) he's a joke throwing it.

So you think that a QB who would rather run then throw... can't throw particularly well on the run, can't throw particularly well in the pocket, doesn't look down field when he scrambles (ever) runs a 2 or 1 read offense (poorly) and who won a grand total of 9 games in 3 years is a top 15 draft pick then i got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. because you have to be the most gullible person in the world.

Looker has the most physical talent of any QB who will be in this draft. but to say he's green would be understating the problem. he need to develop a LOT more before he's even remotely ready to play on the practice squad of an NFL roster.

Lol. You are clueless (and I knew it the moment you compared him to Colt McCoy). How many times have you seen him play? I live in Pac-10 country and have seen damn near every one of his games, including a couple of them in person. He ran a pro-style offense this season that Sark brought with him from USC - not a read option offense. He doesn't have much offensive talent around him. When Washington wins, it's mostly because he carries them on his back. I'll admit it he isn't a finished product and he could use an additional year of seasoning in college. But he showed great improvement in his accuracy, reads, and pocket presence this year. He would have been the closest thing to an elite QB in this year's draft. I'll stand by what I've said before...I think he could be the next Donovan McNabb.

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
From a purely economical standpoint, Locker made a HUGE mistake. That being said, he wasn't polished and could use another year of development. I don't think it was a good decision, but I can understand it.

Philagape
12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe it wasn't the smart decision, but it's certainly a respectable one

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Maybe it wasn't the smart decision, but it's certainly a respectable one

Agreed...but respect doesn't pay the mortgage.

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

He would have been a sure top pick in this draft. The draft is about hype and he had it.

X-Era
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Locker made the smart move... he was pretty unpolished at times... Hes now the early favorite for #1 overall pick in the 2011 draft... hope he doesn't get injured.

Jeff1220
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Anything can happen to draft stock in another year. If he has a great year while other top QBs are so-so, he solidifies his status and quells worries about the one year wonder underclassmen stigma. If he sucks or gets hurt, you know what happens.
The Bills should continue to build the trenches anyway.

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Locker made the smart move... he was pretty unpolished at times... Hes now the early favorite for #1 overall pick in the 2011 draft... hope he doesn't get injured.

Can you say...Bradford? Very risky move and with a new CBA coming, there may be a rookie cap...not a very smart move from a financial stanpoint.

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Agreed...
But Locker is sure missing out on some serious $$$

Next year I have Locker, Mallet, and Julio Jones top 3 picks..

Mr. Pink
12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Can you say...Bradford? Very risky move and with a new CBA coming, there may be a rookie cap...not a very smart move from a financial stanpoint.

It is a smart financial move.

Locker is simply not ready for NFL football as of right now.

He comes into the league now he likely gets his one big payday, bust, and is out of the league.

This way, sure, maybe his rookie contract is lower but he has the possibility of having a longer career. A longer career and he'll get more than one big payday.

Of course, he could get derailed on the above. He simply may not ever be really ready for the NFL or he could hurt.

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
It is a smart financial move.

Locker is simply not ready for NFL football as of right now.

He comes into the league now he likely gets his one big payday, bust, and is out of the league.

This way, sure, maybe his rookie contract is lower but he has the possibility of having a longer career. A longer career and he'll get more than one big payday.

Of course, he could get derailed on the above. He simply may not ever be really ready for the NFL or he could hurt.

It's NEVER a good move to not take advantage of the hype machine. Like you said, he may never be hyped up this way again. There is no way to spin it, it was a poor financial decision.

X-Era
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Agreed...
But Locker is sure missing out on some serious $$$

Next year I have Locker, Mallet, and Julio Jones top 3 picks..

Its way way to early to pick the top 3.

tampabay25690
12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Its way way to early to pick the top 3.

I know that so much can happen.
Just making a assumtion as of now..

TacklingDummy
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
The Bills can just draft him the following year. It's not like we are going to get any better in one off season.

DraftBoy
12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Sorry to say this but have you seen Jake Locker play?
Do you even watch college football????
I know NFL scouts and Jake Locker would have been a top 5 pick in this draft.
You might want to look at college football a tad better before you make a statement like that....I have never even heard anyone say that Locker would be a late 1st round let alone a 2-3rd rounder......WOW.....WOW

Not if you're saying he would of been a top 5 pick you don't, at least not ones who will have jobs for long.

Jake Locker got a low grade earlier this year from BLESTO and National. Im going to explain this once and hope its all that is needed. Just because Kiper or McShay have a guy high does not mean he is a lock. BLESTON and National are far more reputable and accurate rating organizations who have tons more NFL contacts and access to actual Big Boards. They are who also contribute to the NFL Advisory Committee for potential prospects.

Just because Mocks and Web Sites like Locker doesn't mean he was locked into anything.

streetkings01
12-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Not if you're saying he would of been a top 5 pick you don't, at least not ones who will have jobs for long.

Jake Locker got a low grade earlier this year from BLESTO and National. Im going to explain this once and hope its all that is needed. Just because Kiper or McShay have a guy high does not mean he is a lock. BLESTON and National are far more reputable and accurate rating organizations who have tons more NFL contacts and access to actual Big Boards. They are who also contribute to the NFL Advisory Committee for potential prospects.

Just because Mocks and Web Sites like Locker doesn't mean he was locked into anything.Can you let me know what their thoughts are on Christian Ponder?

DraftBoy
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Can you let me know what their thoughts are on Christian Ponder?

Whose thoughts? BLESTO and National?

No, those rankings are not public. They are given to the players, and to NFL teams only.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Bradford is a better QB than Locker and Clausen... And he will show so in the NFL
Book it... remember that i told you so

Dying_-2-_Live
12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
no takers?

DraftBoy
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
no takers?

On what? Being the smartest kid on the short bus? No not really, that's not a big limb to go out on.

Now if you said out of the whole QB class, you may have a few takers.

Pinkerton Security
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Whose thoughts? BLESTO and National?

No, those rankings are not public. They are given to the players, and to NFL teams only.

then how do you have any idea what his gradings were?

DraftBoy
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
then how do you have any idea what his gradings were?

Because I have sources who get leaked info, and sometimes the info gets leaked to media outlets. Not often but occasionally.

Players can tell anybody their grade if they want to, and that's how it will get into the press at times. Reporter asks why he came back you were a top 25 lock, and the kid goes off the record, says no I was a 2nd-3rd round pick, and the reporter reports that as an anoymous source.

Philagape
12-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Bradford is a better QB than Locker and Clausen... And he will show so in the NFL
Book it... remember that i told you so

I'll try to remember you above everybody else who also says that