PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a 3-4 team would deal a pick for Maybin

Akhippo
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
In all seriousness,

1. Do you think a 3-4 team would deal a high draft pick for Maybin as an OLB.
2. If the opportunity did arise, should Buffalo take that deal.

I say if SD or a Denver offered up a late first; heck even a late second I would have to take it.

I can see the idea of letting him bulk up and develop, but you would think he would get at least a luck sack or effort sack this year. Nothing.

This is the NFL and these things dont happen, but what would your opinion be.

ParanoidAndroid
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
We would be lucky to get a 3rd for him at this point. It's kind of like buying a new car.... it will lose about 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Trading Maybin would look like desperation, maybe end up having to keep the kid who would then be eager to leave.

trapezeus
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
i'll say this about the original post...it would be a huge step for the bills organization to admit when they've made a mistake if they traded him.

but like the last poster said, Maybin has shown all the cons on him predraft to be true and very little of the pros... he's not going to fetch a 1st rounder for sure. plus with this coaching staff consistently saying, "he can't be a linebacker because he doesn't know" it doesn't make the case any better.

if the deal could happen, i would be all for it.

billistic
12-14-2009, 06:30 PM
In all seriousness,

1. Do you think a 3-4 team would deal a high draft pick for Maybin as an OLB.

The Bills dreamed Maybin up. That doesn't make him worth even a 5th round pick.

Beebe's Kid
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
It would be nice to have a coach that saw the guy as a potential LB for our 3-4...that being said, if we don't go 3-4, he should get on whatever it was Marshawn got on last offseason, that will bulk him right up and we'll have a fast and a strong DE.

casdhf
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM
This is ******ed. It is way to early to give up on this kid.

Mahdi
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I would like to see what he can get done in an NFL offseason and TC before giving up on him.

15 pounds and some work with a good DC could really help him.

If we sign a coach that wants to run a 3-4 I would love to sign Kevin Greene as the DC.

Kevin Greene is currently coaching the OLBs in Green Bay and has been key in turning Clay Mathews and Jones into solid playmakers in a very short time. He could do a lot with Maybin's potential.

The Juice Is Loose
12-15-2009, 01:20 AM
ugh maybin

airdog32
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
This is typical Bills Zone jander how can you expect to be productive? He is only in a reserve role! Please give the kid a chance before we count him out!

ChristopherWalken
12-15-2009, 05:48 AM
With Juaron (and Fewell more than likely) on his way out, I hope we're running a 3-4 next season.

Griff
12-15-2009, 06:01 AM
since DJ was the one who refused to make him a linebacker, with him gone I see no reason why we don't make him one.

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 06:16 AM
I think we could put Maybin together with our R2 and trade to the 49ers for their second R1.

Trading Maybin can be easily explained by new staff / new direction.

The 49ers need depth and lack production from their OLB - there are few in the draft with anymore upside than Maybin.

The 49ers next need after the secondary is RT, and they might want to get out of paying for two comparatively high first rounders (maybe both Top10) and finding a starting RT in the 2nd.

They can fix 3 key needs (CB, OLB, RT) and still have a second rounder to use where they wish.

We get the opportunity of not only a QB but a Top3 LT.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 07:47 AM
This whole place has been ******ed for years now.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I think we could put Maybin together with our R2 and trade to the 49ers for their second R1.

Trading Maybin can be easily explained by new staff / new direction.

The 49ers need depth and lack production from their OLB - there are few in the draft with anymore upside than Maybin.

The 49ers next need after the secondary is RT, and they might want to get out of paying for two comparatively high first rounders (maybe both Top10) and finding a starting RT in the 2nd.

They can fix 3 key needs (CB, OLB, RT) and still have a second rounder to use where they wish.

We get the opportunity of not only a QB but a Top3 LT.
Hmmm Why don't we just keep Maybin and move him to OLB in a 3-4.

Why over think this people?

This guy is not Eric Flowers IMO. He has raw talent.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Wait a second... ******ed was drafting the guy when we needed an immediate impact player.

drafting the guy as a DE when he has the body of an OLB was ******ed, and then not letting him play some OLB when we lost 1/2 dozen LB's to injury was even more ******ed.

Maybe he does develope, but the fact is we had no business drafting a project like Maybin... that was very stupid and it set us back yet again

Jan Reimers
12-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Wait a second... ******ed was drafting the guy when we needed an immediate impact player.

drafting the guy as a DE when he has the body of an OLB was ******ed, and then not letting him play some OLB when we lost 1/2 dozen LB's to injury was even more ******ed.

Maybe he does develope, but the fact is we had no business drafting a project like Maybin... that was very stupid and it set us back yet again
It WAS moronic for us to draft a project. But having spent a year already, and with different coaching and perhaps a new scheme on tap, it would be equally moronic to dump a high first round pick before we know what we have.

trapezeus
12-15-2009, 09:09 AM
If maybin was drafted by any other team, they would be utilizing him to some degree more than us. Maybin needs to come in early next year and prove with weight gain and leadership that he was worthy of being here.

With the current regime constantly missing on picks, i just assume all day 1 draft picks are busts unless they prove otherwise.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
The most logical option would be for Buffalo to switch to the 3-4 next year and move Maybin to LB.

It's not completely out of the question if Fewell doesn't return at all.

The Juice Is Loose
12-15-2009, 09:54 AM
its just sad that we have to change our scheme to make it so our first round pick is at least usable.

let's face it guys, the next coach isn't gonna go 3-4 just cuz of maybin.

he's either gonna do it or not and it's gonna be based on his philosophy on defense.

if we hire a guy who sees more in schobel than in maybin, as I do, i wouldn't be shocked to see us stay with a 4-3, rendering maybin 100% useless.

but at least he can cover kickoffs.

justasportsfan
12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
MAybe we should trade Byrd too.

bigbub2352
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Maybin is only 20, he is playing in a scheme he doesnt fit in(not his fault) and to top it off he is probably out of position and not getting snaps like a 1st rd pick should, all this is summed up to coahcing and player development has been the problem all along here
Maybin needs to be in over kelsay on all passing situations, i dont care that kelsay is finally having a good year he still sucks

u also dont take a project player at 11 when u need immediate help at pass rush arrrggghhhhh this **** never ends
blow it up already ralph

bigbub2352
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
its just sad that we have to change our scheme to make it so our first round pick is at least usable.

let's face it guys, the next coach isn't gonna go 3-4 just cuz of maybin.

he's either gonna do it or not and it's gonna be based on his philosophy on defense.

if we hire a guy who sees more in schobel than in maybin, as I do, i wouldn't be shocked to see us stay with a 4-3, rendering maybin 100% useless.

but at least he can cover kickoffs.

If u take a look at our current D Players they dont fit the Cover 2 and are better suited for a 3-4 a coach worth a damn would see that, but ur right it will be what he or his D cordinator prefers to run that will decide what goes on, all i know is please get rid of this Scheme

CoolBreeze
12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Apparently nobody remembers the rookie Bruce Smith. He sucked!!! he was an overweight, fat slob with no ambition. But he made the adjustments that were needed. I will admit that Maybin is playing out of position, I think he would be a good OLB in a 3-4. Sometimes draft picks take a while. With all the measurements, speed drills etc.. for these guys, we can never measure their heart or character. Every team passed on Terrell Davis, Tom Brady, Joe Montana several times over, and look how they did. Go back to the draft last year, and see how many people on this board were mad when we took Jarius Byrd. Now everyone loves him. Scheme is everything in the NFL. Elvis Dumervil is much smaller than Maybin, yet he has 15 sacks. Why? Scheme and learned technique.

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think our team currently are suited to a 3-4.

We'd need to draft a NT as we don't have one. We'd need to draft at least one if not two DE. We have only one project capable of playing the 3-4 OLB as I cannot see Schobel or Kelsay making the transition. I seem to recall Mitchell flopping as a 3-4 ILB and being better as a WLB with the Giants.

We need to stick to the 4-3, draft DTs to spell Williams and Stroud, and get ourselves a proper MLB moving Posluzny to SLB.

More than that we need to dump the Tampa2, and go with a more aggressive 4-3 defence as practiced by the late Jim Johnson in Philadelphia.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
It WAS moronic for us to draft a project. But having spent a year already, and with different coaching and perhaps a new scheme on tap, it would be equally moronic to dump a high first round pick before we know what we have.

definitely we drafted him and we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years.

BSU Drew
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd be shocked if another team would want to take on that investment... I'd like to see the guy succeed but im honestly doubting his abilities at this level.

Akhippo
12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
It just seems like we are really trying to get a square peg into a round hole with him. Like it was said, we are debating switching schemes to get him to fit. He may work out with weight gain and technique and the right situation. With B Smith he had to chisel down and actually work and it was there. Maybin has to overachieve with weight and technique.

If we have to keep him i hope he turns it on. I hope he has a Jason Taylor type career. Maybe we should go after Brady Quinn so he can share his weight training techniques.