PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Right now...Why won't KC pick a QB high??

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Forked from: Right now we are picking 8th (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3078203)

Cassel has been nothing short of awful this year. And awful might not be strong enough of a word. Some of the throws he made yesterday were just terrible decisions. Most people seem to think it has to do with his supporting cast, but there's a chance he sucks and it wouldn't shock me for them to admit they made a mistake.

There's some rumblings out of KC that they've completely soured on him for whatever reason. My hunch would be that Haley hates him.

However, as you said, the contract is a HUGE issue. From what I remember, it's somewhere between $26-28 million guaranteed and like $40 million over the first 3 years.

I think there's a relatively small chance they draft a QB early, but it wouldn't shock me.

Why can't KC go with a QB?? Think of it. We all saw that Chiefs team yesterday. They suck. They are not going to be winners for two to three years, minimum. Yes, that is a huge contract but they could eat another year or two of it while drafting a QB and letting him get his feet underneath him. GB did it with Rodgers and it worked out. Why can't KC draft a QB, pay him to learn and still pay Cassel to keep the seat warm? It's an uncapped year and might be for years to come...money is irrelevant.

T-Long
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
There is no way they take a QB based STRICTLY on the guaranteed money that was given to Cassel. You can compare it to OAK taking a QB in the 1st, but Russell has had his shot to be the guy, and he hasn't taken advantage of it. This is Cassel's first season! Never ever ever going to happen. I will bet anything

Dicknoze69
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
As I said above, I certainly think they could. They are quite a bit away from being serious contenders and they could afford to eat some of Cassel's contract. If Pioli thinks going from Cassel to Clausen/Bradford/etc. is a longterm upgrade he could do it. I'm sure he knows the importance of having Brady all those years in NE.

Sure, you'd be admitting a mistake and losing the resources used to acquire Cassel, but at this time no one can be sure Cassel is the QB answer in KC. He's sucked something severe this year.

T-Long
12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
As I said above, I certainly think they could. They are quite a bit away from being serious contenders and they could afford to eat some of Cassel's contract. If Pioli thinks going from Cassel to Clausen/Bradford/etc. is a longterm upgrade he could do it. I'm sure he knows the importance of having Brady all those years in NE.

Sure, you'd be admitting a mistake and losing the resources used to acquire Cassel, but at this time no one can be sure Cassel is the QB answer in KC. He's sucked something severe this year.
So you are saying that the first big move Pioli made was bringing in Cassel and throwing all that money to him, and one season later he is going to draft a QB in the top 5 in the draft and pay over even MORE guaranteed money? Wow I really want some of the stuff you guys are smoking!!!

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:07 PM
So you are saying that the first big move Pioli made was bringing in Cassel and throwing all that money to him, and one season later he is going to draft a QB in the top 5 in the draft and pay over even MORE guaranteed money? Wow I really want some of the stuff you guys are smoking!!!
As of the end of the year the Salary Cap-era ends....no telling what teams will do.

Dicknoze69
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Have you seen Cassel this year? At this point, there's got to be a lot of uncertainty whether Cassel is the answer at QB.

I don't think the money is as much of an issue as people make it out to be because they can just eat it as they're way under the cap, there might not even be a cap, and their revenue is good. If he feels like drafting a QB early will help the longterm future, it could happen.

Again, I'm not saying he WILL draft a QB top-5. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Bottom line is the money isn't as important as people think. The real question is whether they still view Cassel as their franchise signal-caller.

T-Long
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
As of the end of the year the Salary Cap-era ends....no telling what teams will do.
I don't care if there is a salary cap or not, there is no way the Chiefs are going to pay out all of that money for two QB's.

Can someone with reason please chime in on this!

Ingtar33
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM

you obviously are in denial of just how bad Cassel has been.

The only reason KC doesn't go QB in the draft is because Pioli wouldn't want to admit his mistake with Cassel. If that's what happens, they'll go WR, and double down on Cassel.

T-Long
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM

The only reason KC doesn't go QB in the draft is because Pioli wouldn't want to admit his mistake with Cassel. If that's what happens, they'll go WR, and double down on Cassel.

When did I say that Cassel wasn't playing bad? I'm talking straight money here. Pioli can't admit to this mistake this early in the deal...if he stinks it up for another year or so, then it could def. happen.

Nighthawk
12-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Cassell is Pioli's guy...like I said in another thread, KC will NEVER take a QB high in the draft...won't happen.

bflojohn
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Can anyone say Scott Mitchell? Matt Cassel is already showing signs of being a overpriced blunder in Kansas City, and why NOT have some competition for his position if, maybe, he's taking it for granted due to the enormity of the contract. His play Sunday was a joke in the fourth quarter, ESPECIALLY the ill advised pass to McGee inside the Chiefs 30 yard line!! If our QB didn't suck too, that game would have been a blowout. By the way, Chiefs fans are getting the picture, as he was roundly booed for a large portion of the game!

realdealryan
12-14-2009, 11:44 PM
When did I say that Cassel wasn't playing bad? I'm talking straight money here. Pioli can't admit to this mistake this early in the deal...if he stinks it up for another year or so, then it could def. happen.

Totally agree with this. Cassel has been thrown into a new system TWICE this year (they also canned their o-coordinator). He had his success in a system that he knew for 4 years with a better supporting cast. He also has $28 mil guaranteed - money that is more of an object when revenue sharing goes away.

We should at least agree that they wouldn't take a qb in round 1, where last year's #5 pick got that same amount, $28 mil, guaranteed. Big payroll for two maybes.