PDA

View Full Version : Zero goals after one....

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Gee, what a surprise :rolleyes:

That PP was a bull**** call, but that's no excuse for the majority of the Sabres' "offense" coming from the Ellis/Grier/Kaleta line.

This **** is getting really old.

DMBcrew36
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
The officiating has been crap. It's a shame that the only goal comes off of a BS powerplay. The linesman also let Montreal come in offsides once without calling it.

Officials:
Brian Pochmara - Detroit, MI
Eric Furlatt - Montreal, Quebec

Linesmen:
Michel Cormier - Montreal, Quebec
Brad Kovachik - Woodstock, Ontario

I'm actually surprised that a U.S. guy is officiating this game. Normally, Montreal would have 2 French-Canadian referees and 2 French-Canadian linesmen. Why the league often allows such biased officiating crews is beyond me :bored:

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
OP complaining about the Sabres, on a three game winning streak, not scoring in a first period...surprising...:rolleyes:

DMBcrew36
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
At least this Sens/Leafs game is on Roger Sportsnet HD and is a good game.

I dont like watching this Sabres game on a stupid computer.

Oh and NFL Sunday Ticket BLOWS compared to Centre Ice. Having a sports package doesn't work when all the games are at the same time on the same day. Centre Ice is awesome cause there are games from 7pm-midnight like every night, sometimes with afternoon hockey, too. Not to mention Sunday Ticket is way way more expensive for way way less games.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:32 PM
OP complaining about the Sabres, on a three game winning streak, not scoring in a first period...surprising...:rolleyes:

The announcers just said that the Canadiens are the worst 1st period team in the NHL, statistically.

But, I suppose zero goals is ok by your standards :rolleyes:

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
The announcers just said that the Canadiens are the worst 1st period team in the NHL, statistically.

But, I suppose zero goals is ok by your standards :rolleyes:
I'm not going to ***** after the first period...I dread if you have a kid who doesn't get 99s on everything.

SpillerThrills
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not going to ***** after the first period...I dread if you have a kid who doesn't get 99s on everything.

I just hope, if he does have a kid that he doesn't play hockey.... if that kid doesn't get a hat-trick every game Op is gonna take him out back and beat him!

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
7-2 in their last 9 games.

Give it up.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

well if your kid fails math, do you tell him it's ok because he passed gym?

this is a team we beat 6-2 a few short weeks ago.

You're living under the delusion that this team can keep winning without scoring. Don't worry-reality will bite you in the ass. This is not the first time that I've been challenged because someone thought my observations were "too negative", and it won't be the first time that my negativity turns out to be reality.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I just hope, if he does have a kid that he doesn't play hockey.... if that kid doesn't get a hat-trick every game Op is gonna take him out back and beat him!

we're not talking about one player not scoring a hat-trick. We're talking about an entire team not scoring AT ALL.

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
well if your kid fails math, do you tell him it's ok because he passed gym?

this is a team we beat 6-2 a few short weeks ago.

You're living under the delusion that this team can keep winning without scoring. Don't worry-reality will bite you in the ass. This is not the first time that I've been challenged because someone thought my observations were "too negative", and it won't be the first time that my negativity turns out to be reality.
you must really live such a miserable life...honestly, if it bothers you that much you really have to stop watching and just pick up a book. Give up sports or just root for the undefeated teams. Negative, realist or romantic novelist...you can label it whatever you want. You have a serious problem...I mean that.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
you must really live such a miserable life...honestly, if it bothers you that much you really have to stop watching and just pick up a book. Give up sports or just root for the undefeated teams. Negative, realist or romantic novelist...you can label it whatever you want. You have a serious problem...I mean that.

And once again, you can't counter my argument that the Sabres don't score enough so you turn it back on me personally. I don't want to talk about what problems you think I may have.

I want to talk about how the Sabres are supposed to win consistently when they can't score, have no back up goalie, and have a starting goalie who is going to get worn out from the Olympics and being overused.

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
And once again, you can't counter my argument that the Sabres don't score enough so you turn it back on me personally. I don't want to talk about what problems you think I may have.

I want to talk about how the Sabres are supposed to win consistently when they can't score, have no back up goalie, and have a starting goalie who is going to get worn out from the Olympics and being overused.

Lecter already countered your argument...7-2 in their last night...three wins in a row...you have to have perfection or you *****.

you make it about you when you rant like a madman and then threw other people standards in their face...excuse me that while I have high standards for myself I don't place them on other people nor professional sports teams...my life doesn't change one iota or get one ounce of meaning for what a bunch of overpaid, selfish brats do while playing sports.

Ebenezer
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
you can stop *****ing...they scored.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Lecter already countered your argument...7-2 in their last night...three wins in a row...you have to have perfection or you *****.

you make it about you when you rant like a madman and then threw other people standards in their face...excuse me that while I have high standards for myself I don't place them on other people nor professional sports teams...my life doesn't change one iota or get one ounce of meaning for what a bunch of overpaid, selfish brats do while playing sports.

Lecter said what they DID- he didn't answer how they're going to continue to win without scoring. He didn't answer what will happen when Miller starts to break down.

It still took 35 minutes to get a goal in this game. 1 goal every 35 minutes is NOT good enough. You can claim I'm striving for perfection but it's simply not true. This team needs to score more to keep winning, period.

I'm not getting sucked in to another discussion about my attitude. I'm only discussing the team.

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Let's see...One more goal than the opponent has at the end of the game is "enough." W=19 "enoughs" and counting.

Yeesh!

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Let's see...One more goal than the opponent has at the end of the game is "enough." W=19 "enoughs" and counting.

Yeesh!

that's fine when the opponent scores 1 or 2. It's not going to be enough later in the year when we have to play an exhausted Miller or a lackluster Lalime and that 1 or 2 becomes 4 or 5.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Lecter said what they DID- he didn't answer how they're going to continue to win without scoring. He didn't answer what will happen when Miller starts to break down.

It still took 35 minutes to get a goal in this game. 1 goal every 35 minutes is NOT good enough. You can claim I'm striving for perfection but it's simply not true. This team needs to score more to keep winning, period.

I'm not getting sucked in to another discussion about my attitude. I'm only discussing the team.

Do you have tomorrow's lottery numbers?

You miss the point entirely every time this comes up.

Your argument is devoid of logic.

They will continue to not score enough.

They will not continue to stop the other team from scoring.

You are taking the worst of both worlds and assuming both occur.

Maybe they will start to score and continue to stop the other team from scoring.

Not every single game will be 6-2.

Dr. Lecter
2-1 Sabres!!!!!

Woot!!!

SpillerThrills
Kaleta with ANOTHER SHORTY!!!!

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
All goals are created equal
But some goals are more equal than others.

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey, Eb? It took 'em three odd-man rushes on the PK to finally pot one. They must really suck, eh?

SpillerThrills
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't even know why the NHL plays 3 periods.... ya know, if your not winning after the first period your not gonna have a chance to win the game.

hydro
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Man I hope you keep *****ing Op because the Sabres just keep proving your wrong. SOME DAY your simple arguments based on the past will be wrong. Yes we know Buffalo sports have been full of mediocrity for years but some day you will be wrong.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Hydro did hit one point - The Sabres have been reading Op's rants this year and have responded well.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Do you have tomorrow's lottery numbers?

You miss the point entirely every time this comes up.

Your argument is devoid of logic.

They will continue to not score enough.

They will not continue to stop the other team from scoring.

You are taking the worst of both worlds and assuming both occur.

Maybe they will start to score and continue to stop the other team from scoring.

Not every single game will be 6-2.

Scoring is a problem this year. Scoring was a problem last year.

This team hasn't shown scoring proficiency since Drury and Briere left. Miller HAS shown that he will break down over the course of a season when he's overplayed.

You keep trying to make it about me only expecting the negative. But the negative (Miller breaking down) has happened before. The positive (more scoring) has not happened before. All I'm expecting is what's proven true in the past. You're expecting the team to do something they've never proven they can do. it's not realistic.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Man I hope you keep *****ing Op because the Sabres just keep proving your wrong. SOME DAY your simple arguments based on the past will be wrong. Yes we know Buffalo sports have been full of mediocrity for years but some day you will be wrong.

you can call the arguments simple if you want. They are, because we can't predict the future. The past is not a perfect indicator, but it's the only indicator we have. Turns out it's correct a good portion of the time.

That's why I don't understand why these things always create such a debate. I'm not saying anything outrageous. I don't have some superior understanding of sports. All I'm doing is playing the odds. It shouldn't be nearly so contentious.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't even know why the NHL plays 3 periods.... ya know, if your not winning after the first period your not gonna have a chance to win the game.

The NHL schedules games for 3 periods? Someone should tell the Sabres- they seem to think one good period is enough to win a game.

chernobylwraiths
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Buffalo 20th in the NHL in scoring per game at 2.63 goals per game, just behind Detroit (2.69).

Buffalo 3rd in the NHL in goals against per game at 2.17 goals against per game (thanks to Ryan Miller)

I'll take it!

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Buffalo 20th in the NHL in scoring per game at 2.63 goals per game, just behind Detroit (2.69).

Buffalo 3rd in the NHL in goals against per game at 2.17 goals against per game (thanks to Ryan Miller)

I'll take it!

I'll take it too- if it lasts. But history says it won't.

BTW, Detroit would be out of the playoffs if they started today. They're 9th in the WC.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Scoring is a problem this year. Scoring was a problem last year.

This team hasn't shown scoring proficiency since Drury and Briere left. Miller HAS shown that he will break down over the course of a season when he's overplayed.

You keep trying to make it about me only expecting the negative. But the negative (Miller breaking down) has happened before. The positive (more scoring) has not happened before. All I'm expecting is what's proven true in the past. You're expecting the team to do something they've never proven they can do. it's not realistic.

You are wrong.

Last year they were 12th in the NHL in goals scored. Not great, but certainly above average. This has been proven before.

And Miller got injured last year, he really did not break down so you are wrong there as well.

Not to mention this team has already done things this year they did not do last year. Playing tougher. Not playing down to their opposition. They are are also ~10 points ahead of last years team.

So they are already doing better than last year. Last years team and this years team are quite different.

Myers, Montadour, Grier, and Kennedy replace Max, Spacek, Kotalik and Peters.

Better players and tougher players with better leadership and ability.

Not the same team, despite what you want to believe.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
The NHL schedules games for 3 periods? Someone should tell the Sabres- they seem to think one good period is enough to win a game.

That is ironic considering this thread.

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
And Buffalo would have home ice in the first round (3rd seed in the east), if the season ended today, btw...

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
You are wrong.

Last year they were 12th in the NHL in goals scored. Not great, but certainly above average. This has been proven before.

And Miller got injured last year, he really did not break down so you are wrong there as well.

Not to mention this team has already done things this year they did not do last year. Playing tougher. Not playing down to their opposition. They are are also ~10 points ahead of last years team.

So they are already doing better than last year. Last years team and this years team are quite different.

Myers, Montadour, Grier, and Kennedy replace Max, Spacek, Kotalik and Peters.

Better players and tougher players with better leadership and ability.

Not the same team, despite what you want to believe.

funny. I could have sworn the top scorers on this team are the same. And I could have sworn they were just as streaky last year as they are this year. Yes, SOME things are different about this team. But the major problems- inconsistent scoring and no backup goaltending- are still problems.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
And Buffalo would have home ice in the first round (3rd seed in the east), if the season ended today, btw...

If the season ended today, we wouldn't have a problem.

but it doesn't. Miller still has another 40+ games plus the Olympics to break down.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
That is ironic considering this thread.

how so? The thread is about a crappy first period for the Sabres- the post is about how the Sabres don't play a full 3 period game. Seems very consistent to me.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
funny. I could have sworn the top scorers on this team are the same. And I could have sworn they were just as streaky last year as they are this year. Yes, SOME things are different about this team. But the major problems- inconsistent scoring and no backup goaltending- are still problems.

Yet, through all of that, this team is playing much better than last year's team and has a much better record. (Will you acknowledge that??)

Or are W/Ls meaningless?

They are clearly not as streaky. They have one losing streak longer than 3 games. ONE!!!!!

And bigger problems last year were playing physical and consistent defense.

But again, you ignore those little facts.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
how so? The thread is about a crappy first period for the Sabres- the post is about how the Sabres don't play a full 3 period game. Seems very consistent to me.

Maybe we should start gamedayperiod threads instead of plain old gameday threads.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
What has Miller going nuts?

I can't see the game, of course.

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
If the season ended today, we wouldn't have a problem.

but it doesn't. Miller still has another 40+ games plus the Olympics to break down.

That's it then. Let's just pack it in. See ya in April when ya ***** about the NFL draft.

DMBcrew36
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
typical montreal ref-job... 2 terrible calls... 2 goals against the Sabres

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Yet, through all of that, this team is playing much better than last year's team and has a much better record. (Will you acknowledge that??)

Or are W/Ls meaningless?

They are clearly not as streaky. They have one losing streak longer than 3 games. ONE!!!!!

And bigger problems last year were playing physical and consistent defense.

But again, you ignore those little facts.

ha- I'm not ignoring anything. You're calling the problems that were fixed as the biggest problems last year, because that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. But that's not reality.

This team has a much better record NOW because it's too early for Miller's breakdown. Will you acknowledge that?

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Maybe we should start gamedayperiod threads instead of plain old gameday threads.

here we go again- good 2nd period, no need to show up for the 3rd....

MikeInRoch
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
33 points in 30 games last year. 40 points in 30 games this year. That's a significant difference.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
ha- I'm not ignoring anything. You're calling the problems that were fixed as the biggest problems last year, because that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. But that's not reality.

This team has a much better record NOW because it's too early for Miller's breakdown. Will you acknowledge that?

Your last paragraph makes no sense.

Why is the team better than last years team at the same time and same number of games?

It puts the Miller exhaustion factor at equal amounts.

It is a one-to-one comparison.

DMBcrew36
12-14-2009, 08:37 PM
I see no one wants to talk about the game right now cause they're too busy wanting to argue with Op... dammit

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Your last paragraph makes no sense.

Why is the team better than last years team at the same time and same number of games?

It puts the Miller exhaustion factor at equal amounts.

It is a one-to-one comparison.

arrrggghh we're talking past each other.

As you said, the team improved D and toughness. That's why they're better NOW. But the biggest problem won't show up until later in the season. That's the problem. NOW only matters if we can do something later too. And I don't see that happening based on past history.

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I see no one wants to talk about the game right now cause they're too busy wanting to argue with Op... dammit

Nah. I just want to see as much of Miller as I can before his inevitable breakdown.

hydro
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Sorry Op, you can't ***** that they didn't score on the 5-3.

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Sorry Op, you can't ***** that they didn't score on the 5-3.

they're lucky that they even got the opportunity

MikeInRoch
12-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Please continue to gripe - it does seem to fire them up.

Crisis
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
god i HATE montreal

RIDICULOUS

helmetguy
12-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Habs timekeeper tried to steal one.

OpIv37
god i HATE montreal

RIDICULOUS

yeah the refs and the scoreboard operator did their best to hose us

Dr. Lecter
Well they won.

And scored 4 goals.

hydro
12-14-2009, 09:10 PM
they're lucky that they even got the opportunity

Yeah all luck :rolleyes: Regardless the got the 5-3 and converted. Something they didn't do often last season. And we score more than our average! I will take goals from our everyone but our big "scorers". I just can't wait until Vanek gets hot. Because just like you said he is streaky. And well you know what the opposite of a bad streak (start of this season) is right?

Crisis
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
ryan miller needs to stay healthy, this team will only go as far as he does.

how about he steals a gold medal for the US and a stanley cup for buffalo? ;)

RockStar36
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow Op, you're ridiculous.

That's four wins in a row for the FIRST PLACE Sabres.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow Op, you're ridiculous.

That's four wins in a row for the FIRST PLACE Sabres.

And they have played one fewer game than the 2nd place team.

Meathead
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
:lolpoint: :lolpoint: op

Crisis
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
boston and ottawa lost too

picking up some breathing room

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
it's still early. You guys know as well as I do that this team won't score 4 every night. We're not going to get 5 on 3's every night and Kaleta isn't going to continue to score shorties.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
it's still early. You guys know as well as I do that this team won't score 4 every night. We're not going to get 5 on 3's every night and Kaleta isn't going to continue to score shorties.

They are 20-9-2. They are 4 points behind Washington, with 2 games in hand.

Can't you have anything to say that is not *****y?????????

Miller won't allow 3 every ****ing night either.

Next game, when Vanek, Hecht and Lydman score you will find something to complain with that too.

Philagape
12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
What I want to know is, why are you all arguing in December?

Wake me up in May. Then we'll see where this team is, and if it's truly recovered.

generalmills
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Zoners: you can help friends like OP
http://www.ehow.com/how_2163314_deal-negative-people-life.html

OpIv37
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Zoners: you can help friends like OP
http://www.ehow.com/how_2163314_deal-negative-people-life.html

I'm not negative. I'm realistic.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM

lol!

generalmills
12-14-2009, 10:20 PM
:sorry: my mistake

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 01:31 AM
This has to be the gayest thread of all time.... If I ever start a thread this ******ed please ban me ...

chernobylwraiths
12-15-2009, 06:26 AM

The highest goals per game team is Washington right now at 3.48 gpg, so NOBODY scores 4 every night.

But keep complaining! They keep winning. And throw in a Vanek sucks every once in a while. The Sabres could use him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
This thread is an embarassment....

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Op is just weary because the Sabres still look like the same lazy team from last year on some nights.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 09:12 AM
They have won 8 of their last 10 games.

I have a feeling that even going undefeated wouldn't satisfy Op.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
They have won 8 of their last 10 games.

I have a feeling that even going undefeated wouldn't satisfy Op.

Without the best goalie in the world we would be a .500 team.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Ok what is your point? How many cups would the Devils have without Broduer?

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Ok what is your point? How many cups would the Devils have without Broduer?

It's the opposite in New Jersey - it always has been. You need to ask, how many cups would Broduer have won without the Devils?

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
It's the opposite in New Jersey - it always has been. You need to ask, how many cups would Broduer have won without the Devils?
I don't even know what you are getting at? It is impossible to say how many he would have won if never on the Devils, although I suspect a couple, but it is safe to say the Devils wouldn't have any.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
This thread is an embarassment....
Say what you want but the reality is that I've been consistently right about these things in the past. Everyone wants to dismiss my comments as premature or overly pessimistic, but there is truth behind them. As usual, you will see in time.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Say what you want but the reality is that I've been consistently right about these things in the past. Everyone wants to dismiss my comments as premature or overly pessimistic, but there is truth behind them. As usual, you will see in time.
I don't even totally disagree that the team needs to add more scoring but you are acting in a ridiculous manner. The team is playing fantastically as of late and I look here and more whining.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 10:15 AM

Really? This is your angle?

You might want to work on that one.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Nobody is disagreeing that they need more scoring but you're taking this *****ing to a new level.

Again, they have won 8 of their last 10 games and are in first place in the division, with a game in hand.

Why can't that make you happy?

Have you ever thought that they are in first place and some forwards are struggling, so it could definitely get better once they snap out of it? I doubt it, that would be looking at things with the glass half full.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Nobody is disagreeing that they need more scoring but you're taking this *****ing to a new level.

Again, they have won 8 of their last 10 games and are in first place in the division, with a game in hand.

Have you ever thought that they are in first place and some forwards are struggling, so it could definitely get better once they snap out of it? I doubt it, that would be looking at things with the glass half full.
:bf1:
right on Dev.

The fit he through after the first period was embarassing. Like a spoiled brat.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't even know what you are getting at? It is impossible to say how many he would have won if never on the Devils, although I suspect a couple, but it is safe to say the Devils wouldn't have any.

:sorry: But without Brodeur, the Devils still would have won cups.

Brodeur on the other hand would not have won anything if he had played for the Sabres all those years.

Brodeur was good but it's absurd to ignore that he benefited from playing behind a very good roster and an extremely stingy defensive system that provided him with minimal quality shots and chances against.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Really? This is your angle?

You might want to work on that one.

Work on what? Get real.

Miller has stolen a lot of games. There are nights when he is the only one who shows up to play, just like last year. Luckily, those nights are fewer this season.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 10:47 AM

I don't see the fwds snapping out of it. They've been too inconsistent for too long. There are games when they don't even generate any good scoring opportunities, let alone actual goals. And does RJ have a mixing board in the booth with him? If so, he should just record himself saying "Vanek fires it wide of the net" so he can play it with one button instead of saying it each time. He'll probably wear the button out by the end of the season.

They won last night because of a shorty from Kaleta and a 5 on 3 PP.

They won on Saturday because of two goals from Kaleta, one being a shorty.

Now, a win is a win and those victories are on the books, so it doesn't matter how they happened. However, we can't expect to keep winning at this pace if that's what it takes to win. Kaleta can't do his job plus Roy's, Vanek's and Connolly's every night.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 10:51 AM
:sorry: But without Brodeur, the Devils still would have won cups.

Brodeur on the other hand would not have won anything if he had played for the Sabres all those years.

Brodeur was good but it's absurd to ignore that he benefited from playing behind a very good roster and an extremely stingy defensive system that provided him with minimal quality shots and chances against.
Hmm I suppose you couldn't say they would never have won without him but they would have had to have a similar goalie talent wise. Brodeur would have been good on any team he played for.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Work on what? Get real.

Miller has stolen a lot of games. There are nights when he is the only one who shows up to play, just like last year. Luckily, those nights are fewer this season.

Every good team needs a good goalie. And those good teams have their good goalies steal games.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't see the fwds snapping out of it. They've been too inconsistent for too long. There are games when they don't even generate any good scoring opportunities, let alone actual goals. And does RJ have a mixing board in the booth with him? If so, he should just record himself saying "Vanek fires it wide of the net" so he can play it with one button instead of saying it each time. He'll probably wear the button out by the end of the season.

They won last night because of a shorty from Kaleta and a 5 on 3 PP.

They won on Saturday because of two goals from Kaleta, one being a shorty.

Now, a win is a win and those victories are on the books, so it doesn't matter how they happened. However, we can't expect to keep winning at this pace if that's what it takes to win. Kaleta can't do his job plus Roy's, Vanek's and Connolly's every night.

For me personally, I'd rather have balanced scoring from the entire roster than 2 or 3 guys carrying the team.

The Rangers have Gaborik lighting up the league for them.

How is that working out for them?

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
For me personally, I'd rather have balanced scoring from the entire roster than 2 or 3 guys carrying the team.

The Rangers have Gaborik lighting up the league for them.

How is that working out for them?

Some balance is a good thing. But you still need those one or two guys who can score consistently. We don't have that right now.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Eh, to each their own I guess.

I could care less who is scoring as long as they are winning. The only stat that matters at the end of the day is the standings.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Eh, to each their own I guess.

I could care less who is scoring as long as they are winning. The only stat that matters at the end of the day is the standings.

And that's where the problem lies. We won't continue to get wins unless we get more consistent scoring. I don't know why I have to argue that point.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
And that's where the problem lies. We won't continue to get wins unless we get more consistent scoring. I don't know why I have to argue that point.

Well you are the expert, I just need to accept that.

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Unless the defense and goaltending continue to be excellent.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Unless the defense and goaltending continue to be excellent.

and we've seen what happens to our goaltending late in the season, so it's unreasonable to expect that trend to continue, unless we can find a quality backup.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
and we've seen what happens to our goaltending late in the season, so it's unreasonable to expect that trend to continue, unless we can find a quality backup.

We have?

Last year Miller got hurt on a questionable play by Gomez.

The year before, yes he wore out. Miller has also gone on record to say he is much better prepared physically and mentally for the amount of games he will play. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM

And we also saw the goal scorers start to score more (i.e. Vanek and Stafford)

So if you are basing last year off last year, then goal scoring will increase.

Unless only the bad trends continue.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
We have?

The year before, yes he wore out. Miller has also gone on record to say he is much better prepared physically and mentally for the amount of games he will play. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I guess we will, but right now, history is the only indicator we have, and it's not a good one.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
And we also saw the goal scorers start to score more (i.e. Vanek and Stafford)

So if you are basing last year off last year, then goal scoring will increase.

Unless only the bad trends continue.

where's your proof on that?

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
where's your proof on that?

Do you really need me to dig up Vanek's numbers before and after the New Year?

And are you going to provide Miller's numbers in the same time frame or do you apply the rules of evidence only to others?

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Hmm I suppose you couldn't say they would never have won without him but they would have had to have a similar goalie talent wise. Brodeur would have been good on any team he played for.

For five of Brodeur's best years, the Sabres had a better goaltender (the best goaltender in the world at the time). Put Hasek on the Devils for all those years and the Devils win all the cups Brodeur won, plus more. Meanwhile, put Brodeur on the Sabres in those years and the Sabres still don't win anything and probably don't even make the finals in 1999.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but I'm confident. Essentially, what I'm saying is, Brodeur is very good, but it is the team he has played for that has created much of his success. Look at goaltender stats for Weekes and Clemmenson for last year with the Devils. They each had the best GAA of their careers. It doesn't matter who the Devils have in net - it hasn't really mattered for a decade and a half.

If I'm going to marvel at Brodeur for anything, it isn't that he has been the very best goaltender in any given season, it's his longevity and consistency.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
We have?

A questionable play? I suppose. I still want to see him get smashed through the plexi-glass on hit by Kaleta where Kaleta leaves his feet. Gomez is a Mexican-looking grimer. He may not have meant to hurt Miller, but he definitely meant to kick his heel - at which point, it's just as bad as trying to hurt Miller.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I guess we will, but right now, history is the only indicator we have, and it's not a good one.

But that history is two years old.

Miller isn't the same goalie he was two years ago. I think that much is obvious.

RockStar36
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
A questionable play? I suppose. I still want to see him get smashed through the plexi-glass on hit by Kaleta where Kaleta leaves his feet. Gomez is a Mexican-looking grimer.

I was being nice by saying it was questionable. Gomez is a dirtbag. I feel that way more and more every time I see the guy play.

Unfortunately, if the Sabres haven't already gone after him, I doubt they will. Unless he does something else to provoke them. Then...they might.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I was being nice by saying it was questionable. Gomez is a dirtbag. I feel that way more and more every time I see the guy play.

Unfortunately, if the Sabres haven't already gone after him, I doubt they will. Unless he does something else to provoke them. Then...they might.

He'll get his. He mixes it up and gets his nose dirty in every game I see him play. One of these days, some ******* like Colton Orr or Chris Neil is going to make him pay.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you really need me to dig up Vanek's numbers before and after the New Year?

And are you going to provide Miller's numbers in the same time frame or do you apply the rules of evidence only to others?

Miller and Ruff discussed it in interviews, and it was discussed ad nauseum on this board. I can look it up if you want, but all it's going to do is prove something that we've already accepted.

You, on the other hand, are making a new assertion.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 12:26 PM
A questionable play? I suppose. I still want to see him get smashed through the plexi-glass on hit by Kaleta where Kaleta leaves his feet. Gomez is a Mexican-looking grimer. He may not have meant to hurt Miller, but he definitely meant to kick his heel - at which point, it's just as bad as trying to hurt Miller.

he's Mexican-looking because he's Mexican. One of my friends grew up with him in Alaska. I actually met him once- he was friendly in person- of course, that doesn't mean he's the same way on the ice.

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Miller and Ruff discussed it in interviews, and it was discussed ad nauseum on this board. I can look it up if you want, but all it's going to do is prove something that we've already accepted.

You, on the other hand, are making a new assertion.

Here is one place:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=146566&highlight=Vanek

Through 60 games two years ago, he had 25 goals. In the next 22 games, he added 11 more.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Here is one place:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=146566&highlight=Vanek

Through 60 games two years ago, he had 25 goals. In the next 22 games, he added 11 more.

Through 29 games, he has 9 goals this year. That puts him on pace for 19 (18.6, rounded up) goals through 60 games. He's not even on pace to hit that mediocre 25 number.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
hey OP you might want to read this,

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/893269.html

The Sabres, who struggled mightily in tight games the past two seasons, have turned into NHL beasts when games are close. They are 8-1-2 in one-goal contests, including victories in the past two outings. They edged Chicago, 2-1, on Friday and nipped the New York Rangers, 3-2, on Saturday.

They'll try to run their overall winning streak to four games tonight when they face the Montreal Canadiens in Bell Centre.

The Sabres' record in one-goal contests equates to a winning percentage of .727. (Overtime losses count as losses, not ties in that equation.) That ranks fourth in the league, which had only four teams above .667 entering Sunday's games. The New Jersey Devils were tops at .786 (11-2-1), followed by Pittsburgh (.750), Los Angeles (.733) and Buffalo.

Having the lead in those tight games helps. The Sabres have scored the opening goal in 19 of their 30 games and have trailed entering the final period just 10 times. They have outscored opponents, 30-23, in the third, their best ratio of any period.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 04:17 PM
hey OP you might want to read this,

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/893269.html

The Sabres, who struggled mightily in tight games the past two seasons, have turned into NHL beasts when games are close. They are 8-1-2 in one-goal contests, including victories in the past two outings. They edged Chicago, 2-1, on Friday and nipped the New York Rangers, 3-2, on Saturday.

They'll try to run their overall winning streak to four games tonight when they face the Montreal Canadiens in Bell Centre.

The Sabres' record in one-goal contests equates to a winning percentage of .727. (Overtime losses count as losses, not ties in that equation.) That ranks fourth in the league, which had only four teams above .667 entering Sunday's games. The New Jersey Devils were tops at .786 (11-2-1), followed by Pittsburgh (.750), Los Angeles (.733) and Buffalo.

Having the lead in those tight games helps. The Sabres have scored the opening goal in 19 of their 30 games and have trailed entering the final period just 10 times. They have outscored opponents, 30-23, in the third, their best ratio of any period.
No this doesn't help his cause so OP WON'T want to read this.

hydro
12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
No this doesn't help his cause so OP WON'T want to read this.

Are you serious? Of course that would change Op's mind...

:rofl:

Ebenezer
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Anybody want to say that the Devils would have won cups without Brodeur has no reason to be in this conversation. Check out these records. What is the one constant?? He is the only player still with the Devils from 96. It's all about Brodeur - the greatest goalie EVER.

Career GAA 2.09
Career playoff GAA 1.98
Between 96 and 08 the guy won 35 games EVERY season.
He has four Venzinas.
He has four Jennings.
10 time All-star.
Most regular season wins (557)
Most shutouts (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined (118)
Most overtime wins (45)
Most consecutive 30-win seasons (12)
Most consecutive 35-win seasons (11)
Most 40-win seasons (7)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
One of two NHL goalies (Ron Hextall) to score a goal in both the regular season and the playoffs

Regular season

Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
Most minutes played in a single season (4697, in 2006–07)

Playoffs
Most shutouts in a playoff (7, in 2002–03)
Most shutouts in playoffs, career: 23
Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2002–03)
2nd place: 99 Wins
3rd goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game-7 shutout in 2002–03.
1st goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series. (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)

>60,000 minutes played - #1 all time.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Anybody want to say that the Devils would have won cups without Brodeur has no reason to be in this conversation. Check out these records. What is the one constant?? He is the only player still with the Devils from 96. It's all about Brodeur - the greatest goalie EVER.

He has four Venzinas.
He has four Jennings.
10 time All-star.
Most overtime wins (45)
Most 40-win seasons (7)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender (record achieved during 2009–10 season)
One of two NHL goalies (Ron Hextall) to score a goal in both the regular season and the playoffs

Regular season

Playoffs
1st goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series. (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)

Hey I am with you here. Apparently some think he is expendable.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Career GAA 2.09
Career playoff GAA 1.98
He has four Venzinas.
He has four Jennings.
10 time All-star.
Most overtime wins (45)
Most 40-win seasons (7)

Regular season

Playoffs

I said he's great, but it's A LOT easier to do it when you've played for the Devils, in their system, all those years. He wouldn't have accomplished much of that on a different team. Anyone who can't see that has no room to be in this discussion.

rbochan
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
...The Sabres, who struggled mightily in tight games the past two seasons, have turned into NHL beasts when games are close. They are 8-1-2 in one-goal contests, including victories in the past two outings...[/B]

The Sabres are also 11-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Ebenezer
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I said he's great, but it's A LOT easier to do it when you've played for the Devils, in their system, all those years. He wouldn't have accomplished much of that on a different team. Anyone who can't see that has no room to be in this discussion.
yeah...how stupid of me...on another team the guy is no better Dwayne Roloson.

DMBcrew36
12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah...how stupid of me...on another team the guy is no better Dwayne Roloson.

All I'm saying is, if you are going to ignore how greatly Brodeur benefited from his surrounding, then you're insane.

chernobylwraiths
12-16-2009, 06:34 AM

These three stats tell a huge story. In 2003 in a seven game series, he shutout the opponent three times. That means that when he let in a goal, this GREAT team was 1 and 3.

One thing Eb. Your numbers seem a bit screwed up concerning shutouts. I know he just tied Sawchuck in career regular season shutouts at 103 and you have him at career shutouts 118 for playoffs and regular season, then you have him with 23 career playoff shutouts. So, those numbers don't add up. Did you get them from some website that is a couple years old?

THATHURMANATOR
12-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Guys I just took a **** and when I looked into the bowl, UNDERNEATH my logs, was this thread..... :ill:

rbochan
12-16-2009, 08:21 AM
:rofl:

Demon
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
At least this Sens/Leafs game is on Roger Sportsnet HD and is a good game.

I dont like watching this Sabres game on a stupid computer.

Oh and NFL Sunday Ticket BLOWS compared to Centre Ice. Having a sports package doesn't work when all the games are at the same time on the same day. Centre Ice is awesome cause there are games from 7pm-midnight like every night, sometimes with afternoon hockey, too. Not to mention Sunday Ticket is way way more expensive for way way less games.

Yeah, i never understood why anyone would buy the sunday ticket unless they lived out of the state and wanted to watch that one team weekly. I have friends who buy it who want to watch the best games and order pizza and wings each week and drink beers.... but isn't that what sports bars are for? I go each non-home sunday and love it. Been doing it for years.

And agreed, nhl center ice is the best. Have it for the 4th year and don't know what i'd do without it. Only thing that NHL on tv that sucks is On the Fly isn't in HD. Anyone know why??

SpillerThrills
12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
me and a few buddies go to one of our favorite bars on sundays to watch the bills games since we live out of the broadcast area (even thought we're in NY)... luckily for me, MSG is covered by Charter Cable so I get to see just about every Sabres game.

DMBcrew36
12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, i never understood why anyone would buy the sunday ticket unless they lived out of the state and wanted to watch that one team weekly. I have friends who buy it who want to watch the best games and order pizza and wings each week and drink beers.... but isn't that what sports bars are for? I go each non-home sunday and love it. Been doing it for years.

And agreed, nhl center ice is the best. Have it for the 4th year and don't know what i'd do without it. Only thing that NHL on tv that sucks is On the Fly isn't in HD. Anyone know why??

Yeah, I mean, I'm in Buffalo so I don't need it to see Bills games. I'm not ordering it again - it's way overpriced. If I could JUST get the RedZone channel from DirecTV, I'd do that.