• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

So easy to build a winner

Sorry, but it's easy. Its just amazing that half of the head coaches and GM's out there have no f'n clue. Here is an outline of my off season plan.

- Hire Russ Grimm

- Switch to 3-4

- Subtractions: Josh Reed, Trent Edwards, Chris Kelsay, John McCargo, Ashton Youbody, Ryan Denney, and my surprise cut: Kawika "Has anybody missed me?" Mitchell, "The Dereks" at TE

- Resign: TO for 2 years.

(note: i'm assuming that the higher profile guys will either get franchised or signed long term by their current teams. however if guys like kyle orton or brandon marshall actually hit the market i'd go gangbusters for them)

- Free agents: (in order of preference)
    QB - Kyle Orton, Kellen Clemons, David Carr, Brodie Croyle, Daunte Culpepper
    OL - Jahri Evans (probably wont hit the market), Jeremy Trueblood, Nick Cole, Rex Hadnot
    WR - (there are a lot of potential big names at WR. i'm going to assume B. Marshall and V. Jackson don't hit the market) Mark Clayton, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Walter
    DL - Johnny Jolly, Marcus Spears,
    LB - D'Qwell Jackson, Derrick Johnson

Heading to the draft: We currently would pick 8th so I'll assume that's where we go. Hopefully sooner. Heading into the draft I would package Aaron Schobel and a 3rd to a team in need of a DE for a 4-3. This should be doable, let's just say for now that Arizone takes the bait and gives us their later first rounder.

Heres my draft:
    1A - Russell Okung OT
    1B - Jermaine Gresham TE
    2 - Best DL or CB available
    3 - BPA
    4 - BPA
    5 - BPA etc etc

So here is what my roster would look like. I'm praying Brohm could win the QB competition:

QB Brian Brohm, Kellen Clemons, Ryan Fitzpatrick
    RB Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, (I would seek out either a massive power back or a super explosive speed back in the 3rd or 4th rounds for our extra RB)
    WR Terrell Owens, Lee Evans, Mark Clayton, Domenik Hixon, James Hardy, Steve Johnson
    TE Jermaine Gresham, Shawn Nelson, Jon Stupar
    LT Russell Okung, Demetrius Bell
    LG Andy Levitre,
    C Geoff Hangartner (possibly upgrade C next season)
    RG Eric Wood (i pray he comes back 100%)
    RT Trueblood or Brad Butler

OLB Aaron Maybin
    MLB D'Qwell Jackson
    MLB Paul Poz
    OLB (can't fill EVERY hole in one season)
    DE Johnny Jolly
    DT Stroud, Williams plus a draft pick
    DE (can't fill EVERY hole in one season)
    CB McKelvin, Florence/McGee, Corner, Lankster
    FS Byrd
    SS Whitner

Wilson, and Scott have earned a spot on my football team, one way or another.

What do you guys think? The reason I don't think we could fill BOTH the DE spots and BOTH the OLB spots in one season is because I'd be concerned with the spending. That'd be a pretty active off season. Obviously I wouldn't sign all of those free agents listed, that is my order of preference. Also, we may be able to fill OB in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft. I would also assess if Kelsay could be servicable as DE in a 3-4.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: So easy to build a winner

Stroud or Williams are NOT 3-4 DT's, period. If we switch to a 3-4, then NT has to be a #1 priority, right up there with LT.

And I don't see us winning with any of those QB's.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

yeah it so easy

what a rediculous statement. Even if it was easy then it would come down to those who could build better winners then the rest which makes those who built easy winners losers

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

kyle orton is the best of the bunch and he is proving to be a guy who's beaten up on lesser teams. we had that in edwards. ride with brohm, build the lines. next year is another wash, 2011 draft a legit QB.

that's how you'll get your winner. but since Ralph has gone quiet since the whole toronto game, i'll assume he's going to keep modrak and co, and let them ruin yet another round of draft choices, pick a couple meaningless washed up free agents who wouldn't have landed anywhere else, and then scourred the Orchard Park high school for practice squaders to take over key positions like linebacker and offensive line. Therefore 2010 will be a bust but we'll still need a LT, LB and DL.

Things never change.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Stroud or Williams are NOT 3-4 DT's, period. If we switch to a 3-4, then NT has to be a #1 priority, right up there with LT.

And I don't see us winning with any of those QB's.
          They wouldn't be a permanent solution, but we won't be able to get our hands on a DT that would be able to fill that roll this season.

I feel that a 3-4 will still suit us better if we could add Jolly or Spears and another ILB like Jackson.

Obviously if we could get Suh or McCoy in the first round, I would, but IDK if they'll be there when we pick.

I just meant with my thread title that sometimes things that are common sense are common sense because its obvious. We're too smart for our own good, we've always seemed to feel as an organization that if it's obvious, it can't be right (IE Drafting Ngata)

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2009

My point is, we have holes, we can fill them easily in 2 years.

I don't think any of us would really expect, no matter who came in as GM or coach, for them to be able to make us a "Winner" in 1 season.

But, by moving Maybin to OLB, adding Dqwell Jackson and Johnny Jolly, drafting Okung and Gresham, those are 4 of our biggest issues, tackled in one off season.

We'd be better with that than we are this year.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

don't you find it odd that the defense is the supposedly better part of our team right now, but that we need to totally revamp the entire thing. We need a new scheme and new personnel on the front 7. almost in every spot. the people we have aren't great, just capable. POZ, Stroud and Schobel. Everyone else in the front seven needs to go.

Then the offense needs an LT and a QB, the two most important parts of any team.

This team is very far away from winning. God saving coach and GM included, this will be very hard to turn around. The bills season may say 5-11 on paper but in reality its a 1-15 team. Has one game other than the miami game truly been an entertaining game where we outplayed a team for an entire 60 minutes?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                They wouldn't be a permanent solution, but we won't be able to get our hands on a DT that would be able to fill that roll this season.

I feel that a 3-4 will still suit us better if we could add Jolly or Spears and another ILB like Jackson.

Obviously if we could get Suh or McCoy in the first round, I would, but IDK if they'll be there when we pick.

I just meant with my thread title that sometimes things that are common sense are common sense because its obvious. We're too smart for our own good, we've always seemed to feel as an organization that if it's obvious, it can't be right (IE Drafting Ngata)
                I don't think building a winner is easy, but it's certainly easier than this org makes it. I understand what you are saying about not filling every hole in the off-season, but the 3-4 basically revolves around a monster NT who can wreak havoc in the middle of the line. If we are going to make the switch, I'd rather get the NT now and sacrifice somewhere else for 2010 than the other way around.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Do you really think there is a GM dumb enough to trade a first round pick for Aaron Schobel and a 3rd?

I mean seriously? That doesn't even work in Madden.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trapezeus
                    don't you find it odd that the defense is the supposedly better part of our team right now, but that we need to totally revamp the entire thing. We need a new scheme and new personnel on the front 7. almost in every spot. the people we have aren't great, just capable. POZ, Stroud and Schobel. Everyone else in the front seven needs to go.

Then the offense needs an LT and a QB, the two most important parts of any team.

This team is very far away from winning. God saving coach and GM included, this will be very hard to turn around. The bills season may say 5-11 on paper but in reality its a 1-15 team. Has one game other than the miami game truly been an entertaining game where we outplayed a team for an entire 60 minutes?
                    LOL WEEK 1...but for 59 minutes.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                      Sorry, but it's easy. Its just amazing that half of the head coaches and GM's out there have no f'n clue. Here is an outline of my off season plan.

- Hire Russ Grimm

- Switch to 3-4

- Subtractions: Josh Reed, Trent Edwards, Chris Kelsay, John McCargo, Ashton Youbody, Ryan Denney, and my surprise cut: Kawika "Has anybody missed me?" Mitchell, "The Dereks" at TE

- Resign: TO for 2 years.

(note: i'm assuming that the higher profile guys will either get franchised or signed long term by their current teams. however if guys like kyle orton or brandon marshall actually hit the market i'd go gangbusters for them)

- Free agents: (in order of preference)
                      QB - Kyle Orton, Kellen Clemons, David Carr, Brodie Croyle, Daunte Culpepper
                      OL - Jahri Evans (probably wont hit the market), Jeremy Trueblood, Nick Cole, Rex Hadnot
                      WR - (there are a lot of potential big names at WR. i'm going to assume B. Marshall and V. Jackson don't hit the market) Mark Clayton, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Walter
                      DL - Johnny Jolly, Marcus Spears,
                      LB - D'Qwell Jackson, Derrick Johnson

Heading to the draft: We currently would pick 8th so I'll assume that's where we go. Hopefully sooner. Heading into the draft I would package Aaron Schobel and a 3rd to a team in need of a DE for a 4-3. This should be doable, let's just say for now that Arizone takes the bait and gives us their later first rounder.

Heres my draft:
                      1A - Russell Okung OT
                      1B - Jermaine Gresham TE
                      2 - Best DL or CB available
                      3 - BPA
                      4 - BPA
                      5 - BPA etc etc

So here is what my roster would look like. I'm praying Brohm could win the QB competition:

QB Brian Brohm, Kellen Clemons, Ryan Fitzpatrick
                      RB Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, (I would seek out either a massive power back or a super explosive speed back in the 3rd or 4th rounds for our extra RB)
                      WR Terrell Owens, Lee Evans, Mark Clayton, Domenik Hixon, James Hardy, Steve Johnson
                      TE Jermaine Gresham, Shawn Nelson, Jon Stupar
                      LT Russell Okung, Demetrius Bell
                      LG Andy Levitre,
                      C Geoff Hangartner (possibly upgrade C next season)
                      RG Eric Wood (i pray he comes back 100%)
                      RT Trueblood or Brad Butler

OLB Aaron Maybin
                      MLB D'Qwell Jackson
                      MLB Paul Poz
                      OLB (can't fill EVERY hole in one season)
                      DE Johnny Jolly
                      DT Stroud, Williams plus a draft pick
                      DE (can't fill EVERY hole in one season)
                      CB McKelvin, Florence/McGee, Corner, Lankster
                      FS Byrd
                      SS Whitner

Wilson, and Scott have earned a spot on my football team, one way or another.

What do you guys think? The reason I don't think we could fill BOTH the DE spots and BOTH the OLB spots in one season is because I'd be concerned with the spending. That'd be a pretty active off season. Obviously I wouldn't sign all of those free agents listed, that is my order of preference. Also, we may be able to fill OB in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft. I would also assess if Kelsay could be servicable as DE in a 3-4.
                      Why trade Schobel for a pick that nets us a TE that creates another hole at a more important position. Nelson is actually looking decent too.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Do you really think there is a GM dumb enough to trade a first round pick for Aaron Schobel and a 3rd?

I mean seriously? That doesn't even work in Madden.
                        that too

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

kyle orton is the best of the bunch and he is proving to be a guy who's beaten up on lesser teams. we had that in edwards. ride with brohm, build the lines. next year is another wash, 2011 draft a legit QB.

Orton beat NE, SD and Dallas.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

NE a dying team...was that game in Denver, because the pats still haven't won on the road yet.

Dallas - a sketchy team that is inconsistent

And SD - a team that notoriously turns it on later in the season.

bring him in if you want him. i don't think he's going to do much better behind this line than anyone else. also if orton is let go, what does that say about the GM and coach to push one guy out, bring another guy in and then let him go the following year?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

NE a dying team...was that game in Denver, because the pats still haven't won on the road yet.

Dallas - a sketchy team that is inconsistent

And SD - a team that notoriously turns it on later in the season.

bring him in if you want him. i don't think he's going to do much better behind this line than anyone else. also if orton is let go, what does that say about the GM and coach to push one guy out, bring another guy in and then let him go the following year?

doesn't matter. Denver is rebuilding. Orton is playing in his first year with a new team with a new first time HC. He's doing a very good job.

I didn't say bring him in . Just that your opinion of him is not acurate.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X