A glimpse at a possible future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A glimpse at a possible future?

Finishing the 2009 season with a 5-11 record, the Buffalo Bills were not able to appoint one of the heralded Head Coach names they had been linked with earlier in the season.

Appointing Eric deCosta of the Ravens as the new General Manager, Mike Zimmer, Leslie Frazer and Russ Grimm are interviewed after Perry Fewell removed himself from consideration, the Bills appointing Grimm as the new Head Coach. Grimm, after advice from DeCosta appoints Hue Jackson of the Ravens as the new Offensive Co-ordinator and decides to stick with the 4-3 alignment appointing Bill Shuey of the Eagles to be defensive co-ordinator and install a ‘Jim Johnson’ style defence

Declaring he wants to rebuild the franchise through the draft, DeCosta forgoes most of free agency much to the initial chagrin of fans though he is able to resign Owens and George Wilson

On Day1 of the draft, the Bills lucks out as lingering concerns about Sam Bradford’s shoulder injury results in him falling to 8th. In a stunning development for the Bills, DeCosta then re-enters Round1 by trading Aaron Maybin and the R2 pick to the 49ers for their No10 selection which is spent on Bruce Campbell LT

On Day2, the Bills again benefits from an injury concern to Arthur Jones who falls to the Bills in the 3rd

On Day3 of the draft, the Bills are able to pick up Penn St’s Sean Lee who is immediately pencilled in at starting MLB and uniquely drafts 2 Bulls players, Naaman Roosevelt who will replace Josh Reed, and with the pick acquired from Detroit for Ko Simpson, RB James Starks. Rounding out the draft, the Bills seeks to add DL depth in the 6th with Corey Peters DT, and Greg Middleton DE before finishing the draft with a FB in Cory Jackson

Lingering suspicions about the future of Lynch having drafted Starks are confirmed when he was traded to Seattle for a R2 pick in 2011, but an even greater shock is the trading of Donte Whitner to the Browns for a R3 pick following the retirement due to concussion of Brodley Pool

The Bills finishes the 2010 season 11-5, winning the division with a 4-2 record and finally beating the Patriots at Gillette stadium, but falling at the first hurdle in the Play Offs.

Campbell gives up 0.5sacks while Bradford throws for 3,200yds with 27TDs and 17Ints. Fred Jackson gains 1,081yds on the ground

Continuing the rebuilding process, DeCosta maintains the primary focus on the draft and starts Day1 by drafting junior Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma to be an all round versatile threat, quickly followed with Seattle’s R2 pick (Lynch) on local lad Rob Gronkowski of Arizona to form a dynamic two TE threat alongside Nelson.

The reason for the cutting of Mitchell and Kelsay earlier in off season is revealed by the drafting of Maryland run stuffer Alex Wujciak with Buffalo’s own pick in R2 moving Lee to WLB and then with the selection of Ryan Kerrigan with Cleveland’s pick in R3 (Whitner) though the surprise of the 2010 draft Greg Middleton has a lock on the LE position. Finally in R3, the Bills pick up Davonte Shannon to provide an athletic Safety pairing with Jairus Byrd

The Bills enter the preseason as one of the favourites to make it all the way to the Lucas Oil Stadium at the end of the season
    Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2009, 02:03 PM.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: A glimpse at a possible future?

dude... come on.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

The coding makes that hard to read, but that's ok because I can find the same thing in five threads a day every day through April.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Maybin and a R2 for the #10 overall? Hahahahahahahaha.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
          no kidding.,..... I'm laughing at the recent plethera of trading maybin to move back into round #1 suggestions popping up these days.

I think there is a bigger possibility of the Bills swapping 1st rd picks and adding Lynch to the mix to move up, and even that is unlikely
          Last edited by ddaryl; 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

The 49ers have 3 needs.

DB
            RT
            3-4 OLB

We do not know how others consider Maybin and its quite possible the 49ers could have taken him if they had not taken Crabtree

I doubt they want to take a RT as high as 10 so Maybin plus a R2 gives them four high picks or equivalent

R1: DB
            Maybin OLB
            R2 (ours) RT
            R2: Whoever they want

Maybin might have not done anything, but he has not actually been given any sort of opportunity at all so in essense has not dropped his value because of poor play on the field.

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Thank you for making my morning.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

I don't recall Favre doing anything in Atlanta yet the Packers gave up a R1 pick to take an original R2 selection at the first opportunity.

Do you know Singletary's view on Maybin?

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
                  The 49ers have 3 needs.

DB
                  RT
                  3-4 OLB

We do not know how others consider Maybin and its quite possible the 49ers could have taken him if they had not taken Crabtree

I doubt they want to take a RT as high as 10 so Maybin plus a R2 gives them four high picks or equivalent

R1: DB
                  Maybin OLB
                  R2 (ours) RT
                  R2: Whoever they want

Maybin might have not done anything, but he has not actually been given any sort of opportunity at all so in essense has not dropped his value because of poor play on the field.
                  I disagree. Maybin has shown NOTHING on the field so far. ZERO. Right now, the risk is all on Buffalo. No other GM in the league would be dumb enough to take on that risk. We MIGHT be able to get a late round draft pick for him from a 3-4 team willing to gamble, but that would be about it. There is no way in hell that Maybin and a 2nd is worth the #10 overall pick. Not even close.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I don't recall Favre doing anything in Atlanta yet the Packers gave up a R1 pick to take an original R2 selection at the first opportunity.

Do you know Singletary's view on Maybin?
                    Favre only attempted 4 passes in Atlanta so he is unknown. Maybin has been on the field plenty and has done absolutely nothing. And QB's take longer to develop than DE's.

It's not a fair comparison at all.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

I disagree. Maybin has shown NOTHING on the field so far. ZERO. Right now, the risk is all on Buffalo. No other GM in the league would be dumb enough to take on that risk. We MIGHT be able to get a late round draft pick for him from a 3-4 team willing to gamble, but that would be about it. There is no way in hell that Maybin and a 2nd is worth the #10 overall pick. Not even close.
                      Has Maybin been given any real opportunity on the field?

I can see what you mean if it was Gholston as he had a full season starting as a rookie and stank but Maybin has not even been given the chance to stink

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

I can see what you mean if it was Gholston as he had a full season starting as a rookie and stank but Maybin has not even been given the chance to stink
                        I think he gets time.. the problem is he makes nothing of his opportunities so he doesn't get more time.

Heck he can't even displace Denny or Kelsay as a starter... A #11 pick should have had one of those guys riding the pine IMO.. that is if we had picked the right player

Comment

Originally posted by ddaryl
                          I think he gets time.. the problem is he makes nothing of his opportunities so he doesn't get more time.

Heck he can't even displace Denny or Kelsay as a starter... A #11 pick should have had one of those guys riding the pine IMO.. that is if we had picked the right player
                          I see Maybin as a RE using his speed to get around the LT.

Denney and Kelsay are LE fighting a RT and I don't think Maybin was ever going to be a LE in this league

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

what do you consider "real opportunity"? He's getting at least 15-20 snaps a game and has been for most of this season. And he's done nothing. Literally nothing.

I'm not saying we should give up on him yet. I'm just saying for another team, he has no value in a potential trade.
                            Last edited by OpIv37; 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

what do you consider "real opportunity"? He's getting at least 15-20 snaps a game and has been for most of this season. And he's done nothing. Literally nothing.

I'm not saying we should give up on him yet. I'm just saying for another team, he has no value in a potential trade.
                              We'll disagree then - I see plenty of teams thinking they can use him differently, believing he has as much upside as the likes of Von Miller and be interested in trading for him, especially if they also get a R2

Comment

Working...
                              X