PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse at a possible future?

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Finishing the 2009 season with a 5-11 record, the Buffalo Bills were not able to appoint one of the heralded Head Coach names they had been linked with earlier in the season.

Appointing Eric deCosta of the Ravens as the new General Manager, Mike Zimmer, Leslie Frazer and Russ Grimm are interviewed after Perry Fewell removed himself from consideration, the Bills appointing Grimm as the new Head Coach. Grimm, after advice from DeCosta appoints Hue Jackson of the Ravens as the new Offensive Co-ordinator and decides to stick with the 4-3 alignment appointing Bill Shuey of the Eagles to be defensive co-ordinator and install a ‘Jim Johnson’ style defence

Declaring he wants to rebuild the franchise through the draft, DeCosta forgoes most of free agency much to the initial chagrin of fans though he is able to resign Owens and George Wilson

On Day1 of the draft, the Bills lucks out as lingering concerns about Sam Bradford’s shoulder injury results in him falling to 8<SUP>th</SUP>. In a stunning development for the Bills, DeCosta then re-enters Round1 by trading Aaron Maybin and the R2 pick to the 49ers for their No10 selection which is spent on Bruce Campbell LT

On Day2, the Bills again benefits from an injury concern to Arthur Jones who falls to the Bills in the 3<SUP>rd</SUP>

On Day3 of the draft, the Bills are able to pick up Penn St’s Sean Lee who is immediately pencilled in at starting MLB and uniquely drafts 2 Bulls players, Naaman Roosevelt who will replace Josh Reed, and with the pick acquired from Detroit for Ko Simpson, RB James Starks. Rounding out the draft, the Bills seeks to add DL depth in the 6<SUP>th</SUP> with Corey Peters DT, and Greg Middleton DE before finishing the draft with a FB in Cory Jackson

Lingering suspicions about the future of Lynch having drafted Starks are confirmed when he was traded to Seattle for a R2 pick in 2011, but an even greater shock is the trading of Donte Whitner to the Browns for a R3 pick following the retirement due to concussion of Brodley Pool

The Bills finishes the 2010 season 11-5, winning the division with a 4-2 record and finally beating the Patriots at Gillette stadium, but falling at the first hurdle in the Play Offs.

Campbell gives up 0.5sacks while Bradford throws for 3,200yds with 27TDs and 17Ints. Fred Jackson gains 1,081yds on the ground

Continuing the rebuilding process, DeCosta maintains the primary focus on the draft and starts Day1 by drafting junior Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma to be an all round versatile threat, quickly followed with Seattle’s R2 pick (Lynch) on local lad Rob Gronkowski of Arizona to form a dynamic two TE threat alongside Nelson.

The reason for the cutting of Mitchell and Kelsay earlier in off season is revealed by the drafting of Maryland run stuffer Alex Wujciak with Buffalo’s own pick in R2 moving Lee to WLB and then with the selection of Ryan Kerrigan with Cleveland’s pick in R3 (Whitner) though the surprise of the 2010 draft Greg Middleton has a lock on the LE position. Finally in R3, the Bills pick up Davonte Shannon to provide an athletic Safety pairing with Jairus Byrd

The Bills enter the preseason as one of the favourites to make it all the way to the Lucas Oil Stadium at the end of the season

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
dude... come on.

Philagape
12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
The coding makes that hard to read, but that's ok because I can find the same thing in five threads a day every day through April.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Maybin and a R2 for the #10 overall? Hahahahahahahaha.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM

no kidding.,..... I'm laughing at the recent plethera of trading maybin to move back into round #1 suggestions popping up these days.

I think there is a bigger possibility of the Bills swapping 1st rd picks and adding Lynch to the mix to move up, and even that is unlikely

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM

The 49ers have 3 needs.

DB
RT
3-4 OLB

We do not know how others consider Maybin and its quite possible the 49ers could have taken him if they had not taken Crabtree

I doubt they want to take a RT as high as 10 so Maybin plus a R2 gives them four high picks or equivalent

R1: DB
Maybin OLB
R2 (ours) RT
R2: Whoever they want

Maybin might have not done anything, but he has not actually been given any sort of opportunity at all so in essense has not dropped his value because of poor play on the field.

BillsWin
12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
:bf1: Thank you for making my morning.

kernowboy

I don't recall Favre doing anything in Atlanta yet the Packers gave up a R1 pick to take an original R2 selection at the first opportunity.

Do you know Singletary's view on Maybin?

OpIv37
The 49ers have 3 needs.

DB
RT
3-4 OLB

We do not know how others consider Maybin and its quite possible the 49ers could have taken him if they had not taken Crabtree

I doubt they want to take a RT as high as 10 so Maybin plus a R2 gives them four high picks or equivalent

R1: DB
Maybin OLB
R2 (ours) RT
R2: Whoever they want

Maybin might have not done anything, but he has not actually been given any sort of opportunity at all so in essense has not dropped his value because of poor play on the field.

I disagree. Maybin has shown NOTHING on the field so far. ZERO. Right now, the risk is all on Buffalo. No other GM in the league would be dumb enough to take on that risk. We MIGHT be able to get a late round draft pick for him from a 3-4 team willing to gamble, but that would be about it. There is no way in hell that Maybin and a 2nd is worth the #10 overall pick. Not even close.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't recall Favre doing anything in Atlanta yet the Packers gave up a R1 pick to take an original R2 selection at the first opportunity.

Do you know Singletary's view on Maybin?

Favre only attempted 4 passes in Atlanta so he is unknown. Maybin has been on the field plenty and has done absolutely nothing. And QB's take longer to develop than DE's.

It's not a fair comparison at all.

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 02:14 PM
I disagree. Maybin has shown NOTHING on the field so far. ZERO. Right now, the risk is all on Buffalo. No other GM in the league would be dumb enough to take on that risk. We MIGHT be able to get a late round draft pick for him from a 3-4 team willing to gamble, but that would be about it. There is no way in hell that Maybin and a 2nd is worth the #10 overall pick. Not even close.

Has Maybin been given any real opportunity on the field?

I can see what you mean if it was Gholston as he had a full season starting as a rookie and stank but Maybin has not even been given the chance to stink

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM

I can see what you mean if it was Gholston as he had a full season starting as a rookie and stank but Maybin has not even been given the chance to stink

I think he gets time.. the problem is he makes nothing of his opportunities so he doesn't get more time.

Heck he can't even displace Denny or Kelsay as a starter... A #11 pick should have had one of those guys riding the pine IMO.. that is if we had picked the right player

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I think he gets time.. the problem is he makes nothing of his opportunities so he doesn't get more time.

Heck he can't even displace Denny or Kelsay as a starter... A #11 pick should have had one of those guys riding the pine IMO.. that is if we had picked the right player

I see Maybin as a RE using his speed to get around the LT.

Denney and Kelsay are LE fighting a RT and I don't think Maybin was ever going to be a LE in this league

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM

what do you consider "real opportunity"? He's getting at least 15-20 snaps a game and has been for most of this season. And he's done nothing. Literally nothing.

I'm not saying we should give up on him yet. I'm just saying for another team, he has no value in a potential trade.

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
what do you consider "real opportunity"? He's getting at least 15-20 snaps a game and has been for most of this season. And he's done nothing. Literally nothing.

I'm not saying we should give up on him yet. I'm just saying for another team, he has no value in a potential trade.

We'll disagree then - I see plenty of teams thinking they can use him differently, believing he has as much upside as the likes of Von Miller and be interested in trading for him, especially if they also get a R2

The Juice Is Loose
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
1 bad year and you guys want to dump Lynch.

His YPC is up to 3.9 and has been increasing week to week. He'll have it up over 4 by the end of the year which is the standard which has been set for years.

Given as much as everybody complains about this team creating more holes before they fix others, this sure is the exact same line of thinking.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
We'll disagree then - I see plenty of teams thinking they can use him differently, believing he has as much upside as the likes of Von Miller and be interested in trading for him, especially if they also get a R2

there is no way in hell Maybin and a R2 are worth the #10 pick. It's just not possible. The guy hasn't proven ****. Maybin, this year's R2 AND next year's R2 MIGHT be worth the #10 pick, but even that's a stretch.

The Juice Is Loose
12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
there is no way in hell Maybin and a R2 are worth the #10 pick. It's just not possible. The guy hasn't proven ****. Maybin, this year's R2 AND next year's R2 MIGHT be worth the #10 pick, but even that's a stretch.

I think to get a R1 in 09 for Maybin you'd have to throw in a R1 in next years draft.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I see Maybin as a RE using his speed to get around the LT.

Denney and Kelsay are LE fighting a RT and I don't think Maybin was ever going to be a LE in this league

problem is Maybin at this point is a one trick pony... if all he has is the speed edge rush move he'll fail in this league, and that is all he has shown

OpIv37

His YPC is up to 3.9 and has been increasing week to week. He'll have it up over 4 by the end of the year which is the standard which has been set for years.

Given as much as everybody complains about this team creating more holes before they fix others, this sure is the exact same line of thinking.

I'm in no hurry to dump Lynch, but I would trade him if someone made a sweet enough deal. Fred Jackson, Moorman, Lindell, and Byrd are the only definite keepers on this team. Anyone else should be up for grabs if the right offer comes along.

kernowboy

He's not being dumped - traded for value elsewhere and replaced with someone not likely to get his ass suspended for acts of stupidity.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 02:49 PM

I don't want to dump him, but its obvious Jackson is a better RB and if he can be packaged to bring in a player at a position we are despserate to improve then we should do it. It's easier to find a Lynch replacement then it is to find a high caliber starting OLB DL or OL

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't think Maybin's value is fallen so low for 3-4 teams

Basically a pick at No10 is worth 1300 points

A R2 pick at 38 is about 520 points.

That means valuing Maybin at about 780 points which is about No22 in the draft plus giving the 49ers an opportunity to spend their own R2 pick on a non OLB selection and is another area of need such as ILB, RB depth, OL etc

If they don't trade they basically have 3 picks for 3 needs in the first two rounds. If they trade they have 3 picks for 3 needs in the first two rounds plus a very good prospect in another position of need.

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I don t think you have a good understanding of the depreciation of draft picks from one year to the next.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Just keep Maybin. Go 3-4 and move him to OLB. Problem solved IMO. He has the burst and motor. He seems to have drive to learn. LETS DO THIS.

kernowboy
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I don t think you have a good understanding of the depreciation of draft picks from one year to the next.

I think you are too negative about how much a pick might have depreciated

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Just keep Maybin. Go 3-4 and move him to OLB. Problem solved IMO. He has the burst and motor. He seems to have drive to learn. LETS DO THIS.

I wanted to see Maybin playing OLB when our LB's started going down earlier in the season. BUT the amount of people here saying that was a stupid idea was quite large back then... I was shocked at those who were furious at others for suggesting Maybin should play OLB

I personally feel that is more egg on this teams face to the point where they are not willing to find creative ways to get their best players on the field.... I would assume their 1st rd pick at #11 should be consisdered one of thier best players, and if he wasn't then that is even more egg on this franchises face

tampabay25690
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Finishing the 2009 season with a 5-11 record, the Buffalo Bills were not able to appoint one of the heralded Head Coach names they had been linked with earlier in the season.

Appointing Eric deCosta of the Ravens as the new General Manager, Mike Zimmer, Leslie Frazer and Russ Grimm are interviewed after Perry Fewell removed himself from consideration, the Bills appointing Grimm as the new Head Coach. Grimm, after advice from DeCosta appoints Hue Jackson of the Ravens as the new Offensive Co-ordinator and decides to stick with the 4-3 alignment appointing Bill Shuey of the Eagles to be defensive co-ordinator and install a ‘Jim Johnson’ style defence

Declaring he wants to rebuild the franchise through the draft, DeCosta forgoes most of free agency much to the initial chagrin of fans though he is able to resign Owens and George Wilson

On Day1 of the draft, the Bills lucks out as lingering concerns about Sam Bradford’s shoulder injury results in him falling to 8<SUP>th</SUP>. In a stunning development for the Bills, DeCosta then re-enters Round1 by trading Aaron Maybin and the R2 pick to the 49ers for their No10 selection which is spent on Bruce Campbell LT

On Day2, the Bills again benefits from an injury concern to Arthur Jones who falls to the Bills in the 3<SUP>rd</SUP>

On Day3 of the draft, the Bills are able to pick up Penn St’s Sean Lee who is immediately pencilled in at starting MLB and uniquely drafts 2 Bulls players, Naaman Roosevelt who will replace Josh Reed, and with the pick acquired from Detroit for Ko Simpson, RB James Starks. Rounding out the draft, the Bills seeks to add DL depth in the 6<SUP>th</SUP> with Corey Peters DT, and Greg Middleton DE before finishing the draft with a FB in Cory Jackson

Lingering suspicions about the future of Lynch having drafted Starks are confirmed when he was traded to Seattle for a R2 pick in 2011, but an even greater shock is the trading of Donte Whitner to the Browns for a R3 pick following the retirement due to concussion of Brodley Pool

The Bills finishes the 2010 season 11-5, winning the division with a 4-2 record and finally beating the Patriots at Gillette stadium, but falling at the first hurdle in the Play Offs.

Campbell gives up 0.5sacks while Bradford throws for 3,200yds with 27TDs and 17Ints. Fred Jackson gains 1,081yds on the ground

Continuing the rebuilding process, DeCosta maintains the primary focus on the draft and starts Day1 by drafting junior Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma to be an all round versatile threat, quickly followed with Seattle’s R2 pick (Lynch) on local lad Rob Gronkowski of Arizona to form a dynamic two TE threat alongside Nelson.

The reason for the cutting of Mitchell and Kelsay earlier in off season is revealed by the drafting of Maryland run stuffer Alex Wujciak with Buffalo’s own pick in R2 moving Lee to WLB and then with the selection of Ryan Kerrigan with Cleveland’s pick in R3 (Whitner) though the surprise of the 2010 draft Greg Middleton has a lock on the LE position. Finally in R3, the Bills pick up Davonte Shannon to provide an athletic Safety pairing with Jairus Byrd

The Bills enter the preseason as one of the favourites to make it all the way to the Lucas Oil Stadium at the end of the season

Wow what do u do for a living.
I wish I had the time to think of these DREAMS........

OpIv37
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
That solves the Maybin problem. It doesn't give us the 5 or 6 new starters we'd need to go 3-4. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying that if we do, it's a min 2-offseason project.

X-Era
12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
OK, I love the twists in this one, so Im playing along.

I honestly hope this doesn't happen, but it could.

OK, I follow the train of thought

OK, this is BS, and Id hate it, but its also Bills style. I'm still following.

On Day1 of the draft, the Bills lucks out as lingering concerns about Sam Bradford’s shoulder injury results in him falling to 8<sup>th</sup>.

Could very well happen. Dont rule out Mallett if he declares. My thought is that a big name HC may just convince the Bills to move up for the guy they want.

In a stunning development for the Bills, DeCosta then re-enters Round1 by trading Aaron Maybin and the R2 pick to the 49ers for their No10 selection which is spent on Bruce Campbell LT

I can see your thinking... but its all centered around Bruce Campbell. Hes good, but he isnt the only guy. Id feel almost as good about Williams, Brown, Capers, or Davis... and that may not take such a big trade.

On Day2, the Bills again benefits from an injury concern to Arthur Jones who falls to the Bills in the 3<sup>rd</sup>

I cant see this. I think in Round 3 you may be looking at guys like D'Anthony Smith, maybe Dan Williams.

On Day3 of the draft, the Bills are able to pick up Penn St’s Sean Lee who is immediately pencilled in at starting MLB and uniquely drafts 2 Bulls players, Naaman Roosevelt who will replace Josh Reed, and with the pick acquired from Detroit for Ko Simpson, RB James Starks.

In day 3, we would be lucky to get Lee. But, Im not that high on him. Id rather go with Sturdivant, Curran, or Angerer (probably wont drop that far).

Rounding out the draft, the Bills seeks to add DL depth in the 6<sup>th</sup> with Corey Peters DT, and Greg Middleton DE before finishing the draft with a FB in Cory Jackson

OK

No way we make that many trades.

Cant see us 11-5 no matter what we do next year.

Could happen, but 3,200 yards for a rookie who may not even see the field next year if we sign a decent vet?

Your losing me with projecting this far.

Im skipping this, to far out.

Cant see it.

Interesting, but I cant see all of that.

SquishDaFish
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I liked your GM and coaching dreams but man come on now. There is no way in hell we trade Maybin, Whitner and or Lynch for draft picks. What a waist of time typing all that out

Demon
12-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Yeah, Lynch isn't going anywhere. I love Freddie Jackson as the next guy but let's face it, the guy is 30 years ago and hitting his peak right now and we all know how quickly RBs fall flat on their face in this league. I would give Jackson a few more seasons due to him having less mileage then most RBs but still, it's too risky not to have a proven guy with him. Bills need to use them to our advantage and not get rid of one.

Yasgur's Farm
12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think Maybin's value is fallen so low for 3-4 teams

Basically a pick at No10 is worth 1300 points

A R2 pick at 38 is about 520 points.

That means valuing Maybin at about 780 points which is about No22I agree with the value portion of this... The trade would be even more enticing to SF in that the signing bonus has already been paid. Coincidentally, that would be more incentive for the Bills to keep him.

Don't Panic
12-15-2009, 07:43 PM

If you would have stopped right there I would have been cool with it.

HAMMER
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh my word.