PDA

View Full Version : Careful what you wish for....

HAMMER
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Good tidbit from Peter King, scroll down a little.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/15/niners/index.html?eref=sihp

I for one am not a fan of paying huge bucks for a "proven" coach. I would prefer someone that has been well groomed, hungry, lots of energy, and that is looking to make their mark.

The most important thing is to have a great talent evaluator to come in as a GM and start making some good decisions. I don't see how anyone can support our latest first round pick. Taking a kid that started all of 8 games in college and came out after his sophmore year? Especially when we needed a LT so badly. That pick alone was simply mind blowing to me, mind blowing.

ddaryl
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
our drafting the last 10 years has been horrible we miss on way to many early round picks

"Be Careful with that ax Eugene"

Beastie Bills
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I actually did that research last week, and posted it in another thread.

Scary that a superbowl-winning coach has never won a superbowl with a 2nd team. I don't know what to think of that.

madness
12-15-2009, 02:36 PM
1. Don "Donnie Brasco'' Banks had one of the great observations (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/12/10/coaches/index.html) of this football season the other day. With seven former Super Bowl-winning coaches (Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren, Billick, Dungy, Gruden, Martz) on the sidelines, and at least three of them serious contenders to get back in the game in January, Banks researched Super Bowl-winning coaches who left the team they won a title with and went to another team. In their NFL reincarnations, those coaches went 0-for-11 in winning a championship at their next stop or stops. In other words, be careful what you wish for when you're praying for one of these guys to come run your team.

He had to do research? Wow, I'd consider that common knowledge.

Philagape
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I actually did that research last week, and posted it in another thread.

Scary that a superbowl-winning coach has never won a superbowl with a 2nd team. I don't know what to think of that.

That even the greatest coaches and players don't win the Super Bowl in most of their years?

Philagape
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
This is a numbers geek stat that means nothing.

Mudflap1
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes, it is common knowledge. However, let's call it like it is. The Bills are not aiming to win the Super Bowl at this point. They are aiming to be competitive and get back to the playoffs. A former Super Bowl winning coach could make that happen.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I want Russ Grimm with a good GM. Reese, Ron Hughes, Eric Decosta.

The Juice Is Loose
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
What would you guys think about Mangini as a DC?? Just wondering.

Mudflap1
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
What would you guys think about Mangini as a DC?? Just wondering.

Other than the fact that pretty much every player on the Browns and Jets hates his guts, I think it's a good choice!

Bill Cody
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Good tidbit from Peter King, scroll down a little.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/15/niners/index.html?eref=sihp

I for one am not a fan of paying huge bucks for a "proven" coach. I would prefer someone that has been well groomed, hungry, lots of energy, and that is looking to make their mark.

Someone with color coded charts for the interview maybe? (manboobs) Or someone from a winning team? (Mularkey):surrender

What the hell do we care if Ralph pays huge bucks? It's his money and he's got one foot in the grave. Personally I think NFL head coaching experience is very helpful. But that doesn't mean hiring Jauron II.

Oaf
12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I don't really care- we've hired 3 straight unproven so I say we give proven a shot.

Jeff1220
12-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, it is common knowledge. However, let's call it like it is. The Bills are not aiming to win the Super Bowl at this point. They are aiming to be competitive and get back to the playoffs. A former Super Bowl winning coach could make that happen.

That's why Marty would be the perfect choice (if he would do it). He has always made his teams strong and competitive, but has had playoff trouble. I'd be happy with giving Marty the chance to fix the Bills, and the chance to cast aside his own playoff demons.