PDA

View Full Version : So Holmgren wants a new job by X-mas

X-Era
12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
At least that's what Mort says on ESPN Insider. He says Holmgren would like to have his future clarified/secured by X-mas.

Here's the question:

How can the Browns or Seattle hire Holmgren as GM, an executive level position, without satisfying the Rooney Rule, but we have to wait until the end of the season?

Why does this seem like another Bills blunder in the making? If the Browns or Seahawks can manage to do it, why cant we again?

trapezeus
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
hiring a GM i don't believe has rooney rule implications. coaching does. that's my understanding of it and i could be wrong.

X-Era
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
hiring a GM i don't believe has rooney rule implications. coaching does. that's my understanding of it and i could be wrong.

This past off season, they changed the rule to include executive positions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4260724

T-Long
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
who knows, they could have already interviewed one

X-Era
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
who knows, they could have already interviewed one

OK, why didn't we then?

BillsWin
12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe they should hire a coach like Holmgren now, and call him "Advisor to football operations" or something like that. Have him sit in on the games and watch. Then once the season ends, they can interview Fewell to satisfy the Rooney rule, and then promote the coach to head coach. That way he can't get away. :D

Demon
12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
OK, why didn't we then?

Have we even started interviewing GMs?

Btw, Bills don't want Holmgren in that role. Also, reports out of Seattle suggest that even the Seahawks may not even have want him back. So, out of the 3 only openings in the NFL, Cleveland may actually only be the only one who would want him.

X-Era
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Have we even started interviewing GMs?

Btw, Bills don't want Holmgren in that role. Also, reports out of Seattle suggest that even the Seahawks may not even have want him back. So, out of the 3 only openings in the NFL, Cleveland may actually only be the only one who would want him.

If the Browns or Seahawks are about to sign him, why haven't we interviewed anyone?

You ask the question if we have, I ask the question if they are, we aren't we?

T-Long
12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
OK, why didn't we then?
Call good ol' Russy boy and find out!

X-Era
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Call good ol' Russy boy and find out!

I base my opinions on the Bills on data.

I wont consider us "failing" this process until: a) Holmgren gets hired before the end of the season AND b) The Bills dont land a big name HC or GM.

But, I'm raising the issue because so many were so emphatic that it cant happen at all mid-season due to the Rooney Rule.

Demon
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
If the Browns or Seahawks are about to sign him, why haven't we interviewed anyone?

You ask the question if we have, I ask the question if they are, we aren't we?

Seahawks are "searching" for a GM and suposetly do NOT want Holmgren, just a correction, i don't think you understood my post.

And i don't know why we havn't. There is plenty of guys out there who they could talk to now, like Ernie Accorsi, Ron Wolf, Bruce Allen, and i know i'm missing a few.

IMO, the smart thing would be, hire Accorsi or Wolf to a 6-month gig as adviser to Russ Brandon and allow him to over look everything and hire a general manager. Maybe he brings in a veteran or someone young and unproven.... and together they go out and grab a head coach. The Accorsi or Wolf take their fat check and go back to doing nothing.

YardRat
12-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Chuckie- staying in the booth.
Shanny - Dallas.
Holmgren - Cleveland, or GM only in Seattle.
Cowher - Carolina or staying put.
Billick - Washington.
Schotty - happily retired.
Dungy - Won't coach in the North, unless it's Pittsburgh.
Martz - yeah, he'd come, but who the hell wants him?
Sherman - won't ditch A&M for B-lo.

Brandon shouldn't even be looking at head coaches right now. Find a football GM and let him bring one of 'his guys' with him.

Scumbag College
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Chuckie- staying in the booth.
Shanny - Dallas.
Holmgren - Cleveland, or GM only in Seattle.
Cowher - Carolina or staying put.
Billick - Washington.
Schotty - happily retired.
Dungy - Won't coach in the North, unless it's Pittsburgh.
Martz - yeah, he'd come, but who the hell wants him?
Sherman - won't ditch A&M for B-lo.

Brandon shouldn't even be looking at head coaches right now. Find a football GM and let him bring one of 'his guys' with him.

I agree 100%. This front office has missed too often in the recent past with coaches, free agents, and high draft picks. Get some one in here at GM that can draft, get decent free agents that fit the system the team wants to implement, and to hire a coach that fits their vision.