PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McLain compared to Aaron Curry and Jarod Mayo

BuffaloBlitz83
12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know too much about him. Can someone that knows about the guy, tell me how his pro value compares to guys like Curry and Mayo coming out. Is he better pro prospect? better LB?

Demon
12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
McClain is very quick and strong. He can chase down anyone and can take down anyone, as an example when Alabama played Florida... McClain chased down Tebow on a run and tackled him only with 1 arm. The comparison i've heard was Ray Lewis. Obviously, that's the best case for him if that's the comparion. I don't think he's like Curry. I would say better then Mayo though. He's great at reading plays and great at stopping the run. Very high football IQ.

don137
12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
A stud a linebacker is a dire need for the Bills. However the DTs need to do their job up front to tie up the OL to allow the linebacker to make the play. If the Bills can not land a top tier LT or QB I have not problems with McClain but at some point we got to make this offense better.

Don't Panic
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Better than Mayo? Intriguing... if the top LTs and DTs are gone and we don't feel comfortable going QB or trading down, this may be a good pick.

Night Train
12-17-2009, 05:58 AM
When other threads asked who we might take with our early first rounder, I mentioned him immediately.

He's all over the place, making big plays. This team needs help badly in the front 7 on D and the OL. He would be a great pick for the Bills.

T-Long
12-17-2009, 06:44 AM
You know how I feel about it so....

WeAreArthurMoates
12-17-2009, 07:49 AM
He's def better than Mayo. He has to be our pick if the top qb or tackles are gone.

ddaryl
12-17-2009, 08:14 AM
We need LB'ers and I would do cartwheels if we landed such a player

ddaryl
12-17-2009, 08:17 AM
A stud a linebacker is a dire need for the Bills. However the DTs need to do their job up front to tie up the OL to allow the linebacker to make the play. If the Bills can not land a top tier LT or QB I have not problems with McClain but at some point we got to make this offense better.

I agree, but we all agree that we have 4 dire positions to fill

QB OL DL and LB

So I hope we take the BPA at those 4 positions with our 1st rd pick... but there is also a chance that the BPA might be outside those positions ... that is another debate though

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2009, 08:31 AM
LB is a top need. If he is on the level of a Ray Lewis or even close get him! Move Poz outside where he belongs.

I do realize we need linemen and QB in the worst way.

Are there any veteran Tackles on both sides of the ball that will be available?

I would also seriously consider signing Mike Vick.

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM
First off, on the LB vs. DT argument...We have several needs, you go BPA that fits your needs. If the LB is better than any DT's available, you gotta go LB.

Secondly, I have read that Mayo's lack of leadership is hurting them in NE. I know you can't just step up and replace Bruschi and Vrabel from a leadership standpoint in your 2nd year, but if we are going for an LB they need to be the QB of the defense.

I'm going to assume that if the Bills go real high on an LB, that that would put Poz to OLB in a 4-3, or if we switched to a 3-4 they'd both be inside. Either way, how does this guy you guys are talking about rate out from an intellegence and leadershp standpoint?

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I am just sick of reaching. We need DT, LT, QB, WR, LB and DE on this team. Not to mention we'll probably need another corner as well, cuz Youbody will be history, McGee is old and McKelvin sucks.

I am just sick of reaching. I want a guy who's graded where we are. I'm sick of picking guys projected to go later just cuz we need a position.

We have enough needs that we should be able to get a guy and not get called a reach for once in our lives!!

Don't Panic
12-17-2009, 09:21 AM
LB is a top need. If he is on the level of a Ray Lewis or even close get him! Move Poz outside where he belongs.

Agreed. I'm also starting to swing to that line of thinking for Vick. Not that I want it necessarily, just that it may happen. Do you think a guy like Billick could work well with Vick? Trust me... I know he didn't develop a QB in Bmore, but what he did with established QBs in Minnesota cannot be ignored.

k-oneputt
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I think he's better than both Mayo and Curry.

madness
12-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm convinced the major missing piece in this defense is an elite MLB. If McLain is available, we can't afford to miss out.

I still resent the 49ers. If they pick right before us one more damn time...

The Jokeman
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Lists courtesy of http://www.theredzone.org/ and I haven't verified how true it is but if looking at UFAs

OTs
Player Status 2009 Team
Khalif Barnes* RFA Raiders
Alex Barron* RFA Rams
Kevin Boothe* RFA Giants
Jammal Brown* RFA Saints
Jermon Bushrod RFA Saints
Rashard Butler* RFA Texans
Tyson Clabo* RFA Falcons
Jeromey Clary RFA Chargers
Chad Clifton UFA Packers
Willie Colon* RFA Steelers
Damion Cook UFA Lions
Ryan Cook* RFA Vikings
Brandon Frye RFA Seahawks
Jared Gaither RFA Ravens
Mike Gandy UFA Cardinals
Brandon Gorin UFA Broncos
Cornell Green UFA Raiders
Stephon Heyer RFA Redskins
Jon Jansen UFA Lions
Charlie Johnson* RFA Colts
Levi Jones UFA Redskins
Daniel Loper* RFA Lions
Damion McIntosh UFA Seahawks
Marcus McNeil* RFA Chargers
Pat McQuistan* RFA Cowboys
Tony Moll* RFA Ravens
Ikechuku Ndukwe RFA Chiefs
Tony Pashos UFA 49ers
Donald Penn* RFA Buccaneers
Cory Procter* RFA Cowboys
Ephraim Salaam UFA Lions
Jonathan Scott RFA Bills
Barry Sims UFA 49ers
Wade Smith UFA Chiefs
Mark Tauscher UFA Packers
Adam Terry* RFA Ravens
Jeremy Trueblood* RFA Buccaneers
Ryan Tucker UFA Browns
Langston Walker UFA Raiders
Guy Whimper* RFA Giants
Mike Williams UFA Redskins

DTs
Player Status 2009 Team
Lorenzo Alexander* RFA Redskins
Justin Bannan UFA Ravens
Alfonso Boone UFA Chargers
Tony Brown* RFA Titans
Tim Bulman RFA Texans
Kendrick Clancy UFA Saints
Barry Cofield* RFA Giants
Dwan Edwards UFA Ravens
Fred Evans* RFA Vikings
Jason Ferguson UFA Dolphins
Aubrayo Franklin UFA 49ers
Gary Gibson* RFA Rams
Kedric Golston* RFA Redskins
Howard Green* RFA Jets
Casey Hampton UFA Steelers
Tank Johnson UFA Bengals
Antonio Johnson RFA Colts
Jimmy Kennedy UFA Vikings
Louis Leonard RFA Panthers
Anthony Montgomery* RFA Redskins
Daniel Muir RFA Colts
Ryan Pickett UFA Packers
Fred Robbins UFA Giants
Bryan Robinson UFA Cardinals
Clifton Ryan RFA Rams
Ian Scott UFA Chargers
Junior Siavii RFA Cowboys
LeKevin Smith* RFA Broncos
Kenny Smith UFA Chiefs
Montavious Stanley* RFA Jaguars
Hollis Thomas UFA Panthers
Tank Tyler RFA Panthers
Kevin Vickerson* RFA Titans
Gabe Watson* RFA Cardinals
Vince Wilfork UFA Patriots
Jeff Zgonina UFA Texans

tampabay25690
12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
jokeman nice list you put together and there are some decent names I wouldn't mind the Bills adding.

McClain would be a safe pick and a good pick if we grabbed him. The guy can play and I do feel he is better then MAYO. Lets face it the Bills need LB help and he could help. Starter from day 1 and move POZ where he belongs OLB or ILB with McClain in a 3-4.......Would be happy with the pick....

baalworship
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I really like McClain and we could do a lot worse than picking him. If we drafted him I would move POZ outside.

My only concern is linebacker is a position that you can find a really good one in the 2nd or 3rd round. A franchise QB, Left Tackle, Defensive End, or DT is harder to get after the 1st.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I do not think he is as highly regarded as Aaron Curry. Curry was ranked as the best player in the entire draft.