PDA

View Full Version : It is amazing how bad the games look on non HD MSG on a High Def TV

THATHURMANATOR
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Put all the games in HD for christ sakes.

Nighthawk
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Agreed...

THATHURMANATOR
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Its like watching the game through a foggy window

hydro
12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I believe they are next season.

THATHURMANATOR
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
THey should do it now. WHY WAIT? They have the MSG high def channel but just show stupid ass Ranger games. F THAT.

G Wolly
12-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Yea I also agree. Especially when you've consumed quite an amount of beers it looks even worse.

OpIv37
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Thurm, you are so spoiled. You should be happy just to have HDTV. And some people can't see the game at all, so stop *****ing. The world doesn't cater to thurm.

/eb

DMBcrew36
12-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Thurm, you are so spoiled. You should be happy just to have HDTV. And some people can't see the game at all, so stop *****ing. The world doesn't cater to thurm.

/eb

I disagree in this instance. It's year 2010, not 2001, and many teams and sports provide all games in HD. For a team that has one of the most dedicated fanbases out there, you'd expect we'd have it by now for our home market. Nearly everyone has high-def televisions these days, so it'd pretty much be catering to the entire market, not what was once just a small few with high def televisions (we have replaced all 4 TVs in my house with flat screen HDTVs). Hockey is also a game that benefits greatly from HD - the difference between standard def and high def is much more notable than with maybe any other sport.

PS, you should get Centre Ice Package - it's 1000x better than Sunday Ticket for many reasons.

hammerbillsfan
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
it looks like ****, watching on TSN2 in canada

chernobylwraiths
12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't have HD. Snobs.

Ground Chuck
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Might as well be in black and white. Why bother with the colors?

DrGraves
12-16-2009, 09:40 PM

/eb

no thurm is right. it looks like ****. it is unacceptable that msg doesn't have an hd broadcast for road games.

chernobylwraiths
12-17-2009, 06:39 AM
My heart bleeds for you people.

DMBcrew36
12-17-2009, 06:47 AM
My heart bleeds for you people.

Anytime you feel like joining the rest of us in the 21st century...

rbochan
12-17-2009, 07:46 AM
HD TV's should include some sort of "compatibility mode" or something.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I hate anything not in HD. I would argue that the Sabres are the only thing non-HD that I even watch. I have Center Ice but because it's through TW, I only get one HD game per night and it's rarely the Sabres. So far besides the VS games, I've had one through Center Ice. Two more are scheduled for this month, both against Pittsburgh, which doesn't matter because I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh in HD anyways.

OpIv37
12-17-2009, 08:58 AM
I disagree in this instance. It's year 2010, not 2001, and many teams and sports provide all games in HD. For a team that has one of the most dedicated fanbases out there, you'd expect we'd have it by now for our home market. Nearly everyone has high-def televisions these days, so it'd pretty much be catering to the entire market, not what was once just a small few with high def televisions (we have replaced all 4 TVs in my house with flat screen HDTVs). Hockey is also a game that benefits greatly from HD - the difference between standard def and high def is much more notable than with maybe any other sport.

PS, you should get Centre Ice Package - it's 1000x better than Sunday Ticket for many reasons.

no thurm is right. it looks like ****. it is unacceptable that msg doesn't have an hd broadcast for road games.

You guys missed the joke. I'm the first one to ***** when something isn't in HD and I'm with Thurm 100% on this one. But I was mocking Eb because he always gives me **** when I complain about things like this. My post was a spoof of what he usually says to me (hence the /eb at the end).

And I am considering getting Center Ice instead of Sunday Ticket next season, depending on what happens with the Bills and Sabres the rest of this year and in the off-season.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 09:03 AM
You guys missed the joke. I'm the first one to ***** when something isn't in HD and I'm with Thurm 100% on this one. But I was mocking Eb because he always gives me **** when I complain about things like this. My post was a spoof of what he usually says to me (hence the /eb at the end).

And I am considering getting Center Ice instead of Sunday Ticket next season, depending on what happens with the Bills and Sabres the rest of this year and in the off-season.

It is by far the better bargain.

Worst case, you go out and watch the Bills for 16 Sundays, while seeing other games, and probably spend less or the same that you spend on Sunday Ticket.

Meanwhile, you get all 82 Sabres games plus all the other games, which comes in real handy in the Spring when the playoff chase is on.

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Yeah Op was with me guys.

I guess some of you that don't have HD or always get HD channels dont understand how bad the MSG non HD broadcast is. It is so dark and unclear you can barely tell who is who. Forget about seeing the puck at all. IT IS HORRENDOUS. I end up watching away games on my 13 inch tv next to my computer.

DMBcrew36
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I hate anything not in HD. I would argue that the Sabres are the only thing non-HD that I even watch. I have Center Ice but because it's through TW, I only get one HD game per night and it's rarely the Sabres. So far besides the VS games, I've had one through Center Ice. Two more are scheduled for this month, both against Pittsburgh, which doesn't matter because I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh in HD anyways.

whaaaat, only 1 HD game per night? I usually have like 80% of them in HD with Centre Ice on DirecTV. I wonder why its different depending on provider? I figured Centre Ice was the same no matter who you get it through.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 09:11 AM
whaaaat, only 1 HD game per night? I usually have like 80% of them in HD with Centre Ice on my DirecTV.

I know. It's Time Warner.

Last year I didn't have VS or ANY games at all in HD.

So this year with the addition of VS, NHLN, and one game per night, it was a huge upgrade.

I'm going to attempt the switch to Dish once hockey season is over anyways.

chernobylwraiths
12-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Anytime you feel like joining the rest of us in the 21st century...

I have enough bills to pay without putting myself into more debt buying an HD TV and paying for HD service.

DMBcrew36
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I have enough bills to pay without putting myself into more debt buying an HD TV and paying for HD service.

Sorry to hear that.

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Good news is prices are dropping DRASTICALLY on the new TVs. The HD service isn't too much more per month either. Keep holding out man and the price will continue to drop.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:20 AM
HDTV should be standard. Anything not in HD, is unacceptable. For those who don't want to purchase HD, great, if the SD picture works for them then by all means stick with it.

But for those of us who have made the switch, EVERYTHING should be in HD.

OpIv37
12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
HDTV should be standard. Anything not in HD, is unacceptable. For those who don't want to purchase HD, great, if the SD picture works for them then by all means stick with it.

But for those of us who have made the switch, EVERYTHING should be in HD.

I'll give a pass to programming that's more than 5 or 6 years old, before HD was widely used.

Anything being filmed or broadcast now, or anything that was ever recorded in a format that can be played in HD, should absolutely be broadcast in HD at this point.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I'll give a pass to programming that's more than 5 or 6 years old, before HD was widely used.

Anything being filmed or broadcast now, or anything that was ever recorded in a format that can be played in HD, should absolutely be broadcast in HD at this point.

Including all sports. Often times during the Sabres intermissions, I flip to other games, and I almost always flip to the HD game regardless of who it is.

Needless to say, it takes a good 5-10 minutes for my eyes to adjust when I flip it back to the Sabres.

It's difference is remarkable with most things, but I notice the most in hockey.

chernobylwraiths
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Good news is prices are dropping DRASTICALLY on the new TVs. The HD service isn't too much more per month either. Keep holding out man and the price will continue to drop.

I know, and I should be getting one soon, but I don't want one as small as my tv (32") and I need to have a place to put it. Right now it is not feasible.

One thing that ticks me off though is that the more technology is made "better" the more you have to pay for it. Not in the short run by purchasing the "newer, better" piece of tech., but for the services attached to it. Buy an Iphone, but you have to pay extra for it because it requires internet, buy and HD tv, but you have to pay for HD service.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I know, and I should be getting one soon, but I don't want one as small as my tv (32") and I need to have a place to put it. Right now it is not feasible.

One thing that ticks me off though is that the more technology is made "better" the more you have to pay for it. Not in the short run by purchasing the "newer, better" piece of tech., but for the services attached to it. Buy an Iphone, but you have to pay extra for it because it requires internet, buy and HD tv, but you have to pay for HD service.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I think I barely pay that much extra for HD service and it's well worth it when you see the difference.

chernobylwraiths
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I think I barely pay that much extra for HD service and it's well worth it when you see the difference.

I think DirecTV is 5 bucks per TV. But 5 bucks is 5 bucks, they all add up to a lot after a while.

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Eventually those costs will subside but you are right initially.

OpIv37
12-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I think DirecTV is 5 bucks per TV. But 5 bucks is 5 bucks, they all add up to a lot after a while.

directv charges $5 extra per box, but they don't charge extra to have HD on multiple TV's. It used to be an extra $10 a month for HD, regardless of number of TV's, but they changed all the packages around and I don't know how much more the HD package is from the standard package. Either way, though, the number of TV's you have won't affect the cost to switch to HD.

DMBcrew36
12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
directv charges $5 extra per box, but they don't charge extra to have HD on multiple TV's. It used to be an extra $10 a month for HD, regardless of number of TV's, but they changed all the packages around and I don't know how much more the HD package is from the standard package. Either way, though, the number of TV's you have won't affect the cost to switch to HD.

yep, since switching to DirecTV, all 4 TVs in our house are now HDTVs with HD boxes. 52" downstairs, 35" in two bedrooms, 45" in the other bedroom. It's wonderful being able to watch cinemax, showtime, hbo, starz, sunday ticket, centre ice, and all the other 500 channels in any room in HD. Now anyone can catch anything anywhere - there isn't just one TV that has the premium channels and HD, like it was when we had Time Warner.

THATHURMANATOR
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Well to be fair it isn't anymore expensive to get the HD/DVR boxes with Time warner either.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Q: Why is the away-game HD feed so difficult? The New York teams have HD for both home and away. And do we really have to wait until 2012 to get more than 11 HD Sabres away games? Or will they be phased in?
Answer: MSG carries the New York teams and already has the facilities in those arenas to easily transmit an HD feed here. The HD coverage on Sabres game is being phased in. By 2011, MSG has to carry 80 percent of the Sabres home and away games in HD, which should mean it will be in the 60s by then.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/830153.html

DrGraves
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Hd isn't even expensive...

Typ0
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Eventually those costs will subside but you are right initially.

Those costs will never subside I wonder why you think they would.

Typ0
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Doesn't this issue usually come down to having the right cameras in the arena to do it in HD?

DMBcrew36
12-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Doesn't this issue usually come down to having the right cameras in the arena to do it in HD?

Cameras or HDTV truck, I'm not positive. My sister's bf works for EVS Broadcasting, which provides HD solutions. They set-up the HD for numerous major sports teams and other groups. They are doing the HD for the Olympics in Vancouver. I might ask him for insight as to why the Sabres haven't gotten with the times already.

hammerbillsfan
12-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Cameras, tape machines, monitors, everything has to change over from SD to HD.

DMBcrew36
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
My sister's boyfriend works for EVS Broadcast Equipment and said the Sabres ordered a whole bunch of equipment and are working on upgrading their HD capabilities. I guess they bought the equipment very recently and are currently working on integrating the gear.

I'm assuming this is an indication of many more HD games next season, as already anticipated by us.

http://www.evs.tv/America/page.aspx/948

He's also doing hockey at the Olympics, which obviously led me to tell him he sucks, because I would do anything to be there.