X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Bengals punt another quarterback flop

Four years ago, Akili Smith was Carson Palmer. Four years ago, Akili Smith was the golden-armed quarterback upon whom the future plans of the Bengals rode.

Today, Akili Smith is a football player without a team -- and he couldn't be happier.

The Bengals are expected to release Smith today after signing veteran Shane Matthews on Saturday to a one-year contract worth $655,000. With Jon Kitna set to be the team's starter, the 10-year veteran Matthews will provide the necessary experience at backup while allowing the Bengals the time and patience to bring along Palmer, this year's No. 1 overall pick, at a comfortable pace

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Akili sums it up: 'Hell'

Akili Smith describes the four years he spent with the Bengals as "hell."

"It's been hell for everybody," said Smith, who will be released today by the team that drafted him with the third overall pick in 1999.

"I'm kind of baffled that they drafted me. Ten games into my second season, they benched me, and it was over after that."

In a telephone interview late Saturday, the day he learned he would be cut, Smith reflected on his four years with the Bengals.

There were a few isolated high points, but mainly, Smith said, they will be the years when "things didn't go right."

Smith's run will go down with David Klingler's - the quarterback the Bengals drafted sixth overall in 1992 - as two of the most disappointing in franchise history.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

Working...
    X