PDA

View Full Version : Redskins hire Bruce Allen

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
At least Redskins fans get the impression their owner wants to win.

They fired their GM last night, hired a new one today.

Our team hasn't had a GM in forever, the one we had was 100 year old washed up coach.

Beastie Bills
12-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm thinking that will lead to Gruden coaching in Washington. He worked with Allen in Oakland and Tampa.

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Dont' get me wrong. I don't want Bruce Allen.

But the fact remains, this is 2010, not 1965. Things happen quickly in this day and age, Ralph obviously is just clueless.

Things should at least be happening. But no, we're all on vacation enjoying our lousy season.

patmoran2006
12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Could be good news for Shanahan fans... I still dont think we get him, but thats good news

soapman
12-17-2009, 09:30 AM
That's the prelude to Gruden. Bank it.

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't even want Shanahan. I just want a GM to get hired now, so he can lay out his plan and start talking to his coaching candidates.

The longer we wait, the shorter the list gets.

I'm worried about Frazier and Grimm making it deep into the post season. That'll tie them up too long.

I know it seems like forever to us, but in 2 months we'll be in FA and in 4 months we'll be drafting. Every day wasted is costing us, IMO.

Dicknoze69
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm 90% sure we're waiting for Shanahan to make his decision.

If the Bills want the big dog that badly and already sort of interviewed him, no sense in jumping the gun on decisions until Shanahan makes his.

OpIv37
12-17-2009, 09:41 AM
At least Redskins fans get the impression their owner wants to win.

They fired their GM last night, hired a new one today.

Our team hasn't had a GM in forever, the one we had was 100 year old washed up coach.

I think Danny always WANTS to win, and the money he spends on coaches and FA's proves it.

The problem is that he goes about it in stupid ways. Snyder is just a fan like the rest of us, except he happens to have billions of dollars. His ego is too big to admit he doesn't know **** about football, so he meddles in personnel decisions and decisions that should be left to the coaches, and it holds him back.

In the case of the Bills, I think they confine themselves with "We'll win, as long as we can do it for this amount of money or less." In the case of the Skins, I think Danny-boy says "I'll do whatever it takes to win." The problem is, he can't figure out what "whatever it takes" means in practical terms, and he's not willing to listen to the people who know football enough to figure it out.

Or, at least he hasn't been willing to listen in the past. Maybe that is finally changing now.

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Danny always WANTS to win, and the money he spends on coaches and FA's proves it.

The problem is that he goes about it in stupid ways. Snyder is just a fan like the rest of us, except he happens to have billions of dollars. His ego is too big to admit he doesn't know **** about football, so he meddles in personnel decisions and decisions that should be left to the coaches, and it holds him back.

In the case of the Bills, I think they confine themselves with "We'll win, as long as we can do it for this amount of money or less." In the case of the Skins, I think Danny-boy says "I'll do whatever it takes to win." The problem is, he can't figure out what "whatever it takes" means in practical terms, and he's not willing to listen to the people who know football enough to figure it out.

Or, at least he hasn't been willing to listen in the past. Maybe that is finally changing now.

Seems like he's been maturing as an owner lately. Haynesworth wasn't a dumb signing IMO, as he was going to get that money somewhere.

He went with Gibbs, which was a good choice if he didn't quit. Zorn, IDK he screwed that up...But he's obviously hiring a guy to make choices for him. IDK if it's the right choice, but at least you know he'll keep swinging for the fences till eventually he hits a home run.

Demon
12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Bruce Allen is a good hire for them i think. Cerreto was their contact to Shanahan so i really think him going to Wash is over. However, i still think Shanny goes to Dallas.

Michael82
12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Damn....it looks like Gruden might be coming back to the NFL afterall. Just not with us. :mad:

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:18 AM
So what does it mean? It means that many of us, including me, were wrong in thinking that Cerrato would remain in spite of the likely change in coaches. Now, the decks have been fully cleared for the next head coach/general manager. And my sources tell me that it will still be Mike Shanahan

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Skins-clear-way-for-Shanny.html

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Damn....it looks like Gruden might be coming back to the NFL afterall. Just not with us. :mad:

Gruden wouldn't exactly be a great hire, minus the name.

PromoTheRobot
12-17-2009, 10:19 AM
What has free-spending Danny-boy bought with his money? How many rings does he have? How many playoff wins? And you say "yeah, but at least he cares!" That and a $1 gets you a coffee at McDonald's.

PTR

Demon
12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Skins-clear-way-for-Shanny.html

Wonder if it's the same source that told him Mike Holmgren would go to Washington. LOL

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Wonder if it's the same source that told him Mike Holmgren would go to Washington. LOL

Who knows.

I'll take his word over Pat's any day of the week though.

HAMMER
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
What has free-spending Danny-boy bought with his money? How many rings does he have? How many playoff wins? And you say "yeah, but at least he cares!" That and a $1 gets you a coffee at McDonald's.

PTR

Who the hell buys coffee at McDonalds?

Nighthawk
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Who the hell buys coffee at McDonalds?

You forgot to sign your post...

NH

madness
12-17-2009, 01:42 PM
More speculation on Shanahan becoming next Redskins coach...

JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora) (http://billszone.com/fanzone/)
Redskins organizational shake-up just beginning. Continue to hear Shanahan will end up coach/team prez. More on NFL.com and NFL Network,

patmoran2006
12-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah so much for that..
Looks like the Skins aren't wasting anytime at all.

So that's what happens when you hire a GM first?

Demon
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah so much for that..
Looks like the Skins aren't wasting anytime at all.

So that's what happens when you hire a GM first?

They've been in talks with Shanahan for months.

patmoran2006
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
yes but hired the gm first, didnt wait til the season was over.

Dont believe that nonsense that Cerrato "resigned"

Demon
12-17-2009, 02:31 PM

What are the Bills supposed to do? Put a gun to his head and tell him to sign the dotted line? The offered a deal to Shanahan. He left us hanging. Redskins been talking to him longer then we have, and more then lilkey Shanahan told them to go and get Bruce Allen because as Shefter said when we were talking to him, Shanny wanted to go somewhere with a real GM. They got rid of Cerrato and got Allen, will probably wait til the end of the year to fire Zorn and then bring in Shanahan. I honestly don't see what you're talking about "see what happens when you hire a gm first"?

Bills will hire a GM before they hire a coach.... your point makes zero sense, sorry Pat.

Nighthawk
12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Although I agree that the Bills couldn't make Shanahan sign, they also don't have to sit around and do nothing. Get to f'n work and start interviewing people for the GM position...

Demon
12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Although I agree that the Bills couldn't make Shanahan sign, they also don't have to sit around and do nothing. Get to f'n work and start interviewing people for the GM position...

What's the rush? Redskins didn't "rush" into it until today.

By waiting, the Bills lose out on Bruce Allen (who they talked to according to Fox Sports) and Mike Holmgren.

From all i've read, Allen's father being a legend in D.C. and him possibly being Shanahan's guy, we probably had no chance to get him. And we didn't want Holmgren. So, in reality, by waiting, we are not behind the game at all and most guys we are going to interview are with teams right now. And waiting for Shanahan made sense if they thought they had a decent shot at him.

Nighthawk
12-17-2009, 05:37 PM
What's the rush? Redskins didn't "rush" into it until today.

By waiting, the Bills lose out on Bruce Allen (who they talked to according to Fox Sports) and Mike Holmgren.

From all i've read, Allen's father being a legend in D.C. and him possibly being Shanahan's guy, we probably had no chance to get him. And we didn't want Holmgren. So, in reality, by waiting, we are not behind the game at all and most guys we are going to interview are with teams right now. And waiting for Shanahan made sense if they thought they had a decent shot at him.

That way of thinking will leave you holding the bag. Waiting is not necessarily the best way to go about this...I don't know. However, it wouldn't hurt to start talking to some people...you've got the time, use it. Why rush at the end of the year to fill your staff when you can start right now?

Demon
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
That way of thinking will leave you holding the bag. Waiting is not necessarily the best way to go about this...I don't know. However, it wouldn't hurt to start talking to some people...you've got the time, use it. Why rush at the end of the year to fill your staff when you can start right now?

Don't get me wrong, because I do agree with you. I think the Bills should be interviewing people now. Maybe they are waiting until they are 100% eliminated from the playoffs? What i'm saying, there's a lot of big names out there right now to coach and some big guns for GM, and yet, nobody is rushing to anything. In the history of the NFL, there isn't too many big coaches or GMs who are hired during the season.

If you remember, Shanahan rejected the Skins twice already saying it'd disrespectful to their current crew.

My point is, they will have a lot of time and many of the guys are with teams, and i am unsure how that process goes of interviewing those people, but i can't completely blame the Bills for not rushing and my point was, they have not missed out on anything yet for taking their time.

Nighthawk
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, because I do agree with you. I think the Bills should be interviewing people now. Maybe they are waiting until they are 100% eliminated from the playoffs? What i'm saying, there's a lot of big names out there right now to coach and some big guns for GM, and yet, nobody is rushing to anything. In the history of the NFL, there isn't too many big coaches or GMs who are hired during the season.

If you remember, Shanahan rejected the Skins twice already saying it'd disrespectful to their current crew.

My point is, they will have a lot of time and many of the guys are with teams, and i am unsure how that process goes of interviewing those people, but i can't completely blame the Bills for not rushing and my point was, they have not missed out on anything yet for taking their time.

Only time will tell, but the Bills NEED to do something drastic to turn around the fortunes of this franchise.

tampabay25690
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
That's the prelude to Gruden. Bank it.

YEP....I said a while ago that wash would go after gruden

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Really?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/cerrato-will-remain-with-the-redskins-as-a-snyder-consultant/

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Btw, Cerrato is friends with Shanahan, so i think this all but locks up Shanny for D.C.

elltrain22
12-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Ya know what, **** Mike Shanahan!! He's not the only good candidate. We still got some more good options, and I'm very optimistic that we'll get a good coach before its all said and done.