PDA

View Full Version : Bills to start interviewing GMs after XMAS

Demon
12-17-2009, 10:07 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/896819.html

Candidates abound for Bills' personnel job

Team overhaul needs top talent evaluator

By Mark Gaughan
<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --> News Sports Reporter
<!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp -->
<!-- --> Don't expect a household name to be the new addition to the Buffalo Bills' personnel department in 2010.
It's the nature of the business that many top talent evaluators in the NFL are not well known outside league circles.
Yet the Bills will have a lot of qualified candidates to consider in the coming weeks as they work on overhauling their football operation.
The Bills are expected to start interviewing candidates to become either the new general manager or the new director of football operations sometime after Christmas.[/quote]

Interesting.

Beastie Bills
12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Ugh....better late than never.

Jan Reimers
12-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Some very good candidates.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm good with that.

It's nice to know they are planning things, although I guess they could be doing it sooner.

Michael82
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
It's about damn time. I bet this was a last resort once they realized they weren't getting one of those total control coaches....

trapezeus
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
whoever they get, i hope he flat out says to ralph, "stop doing what you've been doing for 50 years and let me do my job. i'll get you results"

Italian Stallion
12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm a big fan of DeCosta. He may be a little young, but he has a great track record drafting in Baltimore (Flacco, Rice, Ngata, Oher most recently). And with the dinosaur mentality that exists around this team, a younger guy's point of view is exactly what this team needs

bigbub2352
12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I like that they made it public to the media, that means they mean business

ddaryl
12-17-2009, 10:38 AM
We need a chief talent evaluator that knows what the hell he is doing...

Still worried about who we'll choose

Jeff1220
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm a big fan of DeCosta. He may be a little young, but he has a great track record drafting in Baltimore (Flacco, Rice, Ngata, Oher most recently). And with the dinosaur mentality that exists around this team, a younger guy's point of view is exactly what this team needs

Not to mention Ogden, Ray Lewis, Suggs, Bouware, McCalister, Jamal Lewis, and Todd Heap (among others). Decosta has been there for all of those drafts.
You definitely can't argue w/many of Baltimore's top picks. (Boller was, by most accounts, a Billick pick - not a Newsome/Scout's pick). The biggest knock on Baltimore is that they've struggled to draft a top WR.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM

While I totally agree, I worry about the footnote I read in the article. The one about other assistants in Baltimore and how they did on their own.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Not to mention Ogden, Ray Lewis, Suggs, Bouware, McCalister, Jamal Lewis, and Todd Heap (among others). Decosta has been there for all of those drafts.
You definitely can't argue w/many of Baltimore's top picks. (Boller was, by most accounts, a Billick pick - not a Newsome/Scout's pick). The biggest knock on Baltimore is that they've struggled to draft a top WR.

He's only been with Baltimore since 2003, hasn't he?

Jeff1220
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
He's only been with Baltimore since 2003, hasn't he?
His bio on the Ravens page says 13 years.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Hmmm...

That Buffalo News article says he is 38.

Something smells fishy here. :scratch:

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I dont want either of the Chicago guys in Gabriel or DePaul. Chicago's drafts have been horrible. Im also DQ'ing Kuhcrich because one the chiefs have sucked for a while now, their drafts have been brutally bad and if Pioli doesn't want him, why would I?

So of the rest of the candidates Id rank them like this;
1. Eric DeCosta-Baltimore
2. Marc Roos-NYG
3. Jimmy Raye III-San Diego
4. Scott Studwell-Minnesota
5. Ron Whaley-Pitt

Raye III has the most experience because he's done all the roles of the GM with scouting, evals, FA's, etc. However I put a high premium on the draft and especially on Day 2 picks. Here are Ross's picks that have stood out over the past three drafts he's over seen as head of College Scouting.

07-
TE Kevin Boss
S Michael Johnson
RB Ahmad Bradhaw

08-
LB Jonathan Goff

09-
RB Andre Brown

These are DeCosta's picks in his drafts that he wasd head of scouting;
07-
RB Le'Ron McClain

06-
SS Dawan Landry
P Sam Koch

05-
OC Jason Brown
QB Derek Anderson

03-
LB Jarret Johnson
FB Ovie Mughelli

These two guys are by far my favorites for the job. They would also be cheaper than more established guys.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 10:59 AM

He's been head of College Scouting for the Raves from 03-08, now he's Pro Personnell guy. He was with the Ravens prior to that as a scout I believe.

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM

George Kolinis was there and probably had a bigger role drafting, and when he went to be his own guy in Cleveland, things didn't exactly work out. I am not sure i would be too confident in Decosta.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
George Kolinis was there and probably had a bigger role drafting, and when he went to be his own guy in Cleveland, things didn't exactly work out. I am not sure i would be too confident in Decosta.

Ozzie Smith does the draft, Kolinis was a pro personnel guy, he did not work in the draft room.

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Ozzie Smith does the draft, Kolinis was a pro personnel guy, he did not work in the draft room.

Gotcha.

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Does he do a backflip after every good draft pick?

Dicknoze69
12-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Additionally, the Kokinis situation in Cleveland was all sorts of messed up. He was hired after Mangini but in his contract Kokinis was given control over personnel decisions. However, he quickly found out Mangini actually had control over personnel through the owner and their relationship deteriorated. Kokinis had no input in the Braylon Edwards trade to the Jets and from what I read that was the last straw that lead to the firing/quitting.

Most people expect him to go back to the Ravens as he's still pretty highly regarded despite what happened in Cleveland.

BillsWin
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
All I want for Christmas is DeCosta and Cowher. :pray:

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:29 AM
All I want for Christmas is DeCosta and Cowher. :pray:

DeCosta and an asst like Grimm!

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Anyway Decosta comes and brings Brian Billic?

BillsWin
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Cowher is proven, and in my opinion the best available option out of all the coaches.

But Grimm and DeCosta is another good way to begin building a dynasty. :up:

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyway Decosta comes and brings Brian Billic?

I doubt it. I think DeCosta would want to start fresh for the most part. Kinda like Dimitroff in Atlanta.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Cowher is proven, and in my opinion the best available option out of all the coaches.

But Grimm and DeCosta is another good way to begin building a dynasty. :up:

Im on the record as saying I would prefer to go the coordinator/position coach route for a number of reasons.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Does he do a backflip after every good draft pick?

:rofl:

RockStar36
12-17-2009, 11:36 AM

I will say I've warmed up to the idea of Grimm more and more, which is far from where I was when Jauron was first fired.

Of course, the only way I'm happy with Grimm is if a solid GM comes along with him.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I will say I've warmed up to the idea of Grimm more and more, which is far from where I was when Jauron was first fired.

Of course, the only way I'm happy with Grimm is if a solid GM comes along with him.

Agreed, and I dont care if we land Cowher...

If a solid GM is not in place he will fail here.

Demon
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Im on the record as saying I would prefer to go the coordinator/position coach route for a number of reasons.

I'm with you there, i'd prefer a coordinator myself too. Brian Billick has been growing on me though last several days though but Grimm remains my #1 guy.

BillsWin
12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Grimm is my favorite option out of the coordinator bin.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
One more name to look at coach wise, at least imo;
Winston Moss...he's been tutoring under Capers in the 3-4 scheme. He is an asst HC and has lots of playing and coaching Exp.

He may not be a legit HC candidate, but Id love the combo of;
GM-DeCosta
HC-Girmm
OC-Curtis Johnson (New Orleans WR Coach)
DC-Winston Moss (Green Bay LB Coach)

We'd go 3-4 Defense and run an exciting style of offense. I think that's a winning team right there, and Id be really excited about our future.

Ingtar33
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
you know, my prediction of a new coach in mid march is looking closer and closer to reality.

this team really knows how to drag it's feet.

The Juice Is Loose
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Here is my overall top 5 wish list:

1. Russ Grimm
2. Brian Billick
3. Leslie Frazier
4. Jon Gruden (won't happen)
5. Rob Ryan (at least our defense would kick ass)

Forward_Lateral
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
More lip service by the Bills. Unless Ralph hires a guy to run the whole show, and give him TOTAL control to do what he has to do, it won't matter. No more cash to cap, no more meddling. Hire a guy, and say, here fix this, do whatever you feel is necessary. Don't tie the Gm's hands.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I love Russ Grimm and hoping hes the coach but I want Ron Hughes as the GM. What better than Pittsburgh director of scouting.

Demon
12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
One more name to look at coach wise, at least imo;
Winston Moss...he's been tutoring under Capers in the 3-4 scheme. He is an asst HC and has lots of playing and coaching Exp.

He may not be a legit HC candidate, but Id love the combo of;
GM-DeCosta
HC-Girmm
OC-Curtis Johnson (New Orleans WR Coach)
DC-Winston Moss (Green Bay LB Coach)

We'd go 3-4 Defense and run an exciting style of offense. I think that's a winning team right there, and Id be really excited about our future.

Way too young and inexperienced core of guys. If Grimm comes, i still think they need a experienced offensive mind. I wouldn't mind Martz as OC with how ever comes as coach.

DraftBoy
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Way too young and inexperienced core of guys. If Grimm comes, i still think they need a experienced offensive mind. I wouldn't mind Martz as OC with how ever comes as coach.

Inexperienced? Combined those three coaches have 50 years of coaching experience and 20 years of playing experience. That's only 70 years total.

Grimm was a member of the Hogs on Washington's line which was infamous and Moss was a Linebacker at The U before bouncing around a good bit in the NFL.

Johnson never played pro ball but spend many years at the U working with the WR's there who included Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Sinorice Moss, Reggie Wayne, Roscoe Parrish, and Devin Hester. Not too bad, eh?

These guys are not inexperienced and they are all ready for their next step up in the coaching ranks.

justasportsfan
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Hopefully we won't end up with recycled presents like Fruit cake

bigbub2352
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I started a thread way back about DeCosta, i think he would be a great step in the right direction for us, also maybe he like Billick too who i wouldnt mind as long as we go strong on the DC under him
also like Grimm as well
but still holding out hope for Shanny or Cowher