• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Skins just "got around" the Rooney Rule

Though some (i.e., us) continue to be troubled by the appearance that Vinny Cerrato was abruptly swapped out for Bruce Allen as part of a premeditated front-office makeover that will be followed by the premeditated hiring of Mike Shanahan as the next head coach, the powers-that-be believe that the…

They simply interviewed an inside guy.

Again, If they have held an interview with Fewell which could include:
    • Phone conversation with Ralph right after Jauron was fired
    • Actually interview that was not made public
    • Or maybe they argue that they have "interviewed" Fewell by giving him and on field audition the past several games
    It could be very possible that there is no real reason why we cant hire a new HC now.

This article makes it seem like a forgone conclusion that it will be Shanahan. I'm not so sure. Shanahan would still have more power here, and a less meddling owner who will support his HC for a much longer period of time before pulling the plug.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Skins just "got around" the Rooney Rule

Until the rule is changed, the Skins complied.

I would assume that nothing the Bills have done to this point would satisfy the rule, unless they interviewed Fewell for the position between now and the time he was tagged as interim under the condition that he would be considered when the time came.

I still see Shanny ending up in Dallas.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
      Until the rule is changed, the Skins complied.

I would assume that nothing the Bills have done to this point would satisfy the rule, unless they interviewed Fewell for the position between now and the time he was tagged as interim under the condition that he would be considered when the time came.

I still see Shanny ending up in Dallas.
      I admit Im less hopeful about our chances at a big namer right now than before. However, several new Insider rumors are out there that may keep us in the mix.

1) Mort is reporting that Carolina will not blow up its GM and HC but rather keep one or both... Good news on the Cowher front

2) Bruce Allen is more closely linked with Gruden than Shanahan... good news on the Shanhan front.

3) Dallas may take too long, especially if they make it to the playoffs, in firing Wade to be able to get Cowher or Shanahan, they might be too late... good news on both those fronts as well

Im a bit unhappy about our report that were going GM shopping. Id like Parcells, or Holmgren,but I think were then stuck with a x-coord HC.

Unless its Kevin Colbert (Steelers GM) which may trigger signing Cowher as HC. I dont know why the Steelers would let Colbert leave though.

Its getting interesting and I'm praying for some real guys, with real rings, that can make us real again.
      Last edited by X-Era; 12-18-2009, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Personally I'd prefer an open competition at both competitions. We get too hung up on big names and forget that a number of these coaches were successful like Cowher having been promoted from a coordinator role.

There are a number of hungry young potential GMs like Eric DeCosta, Jimmy Raye, Marc Ross etc who can then do a proper assessment of potential prospects and get the best fit for the Buffalo Bills, not the best one for media sales..

Real guys wth real rings have never really made their subsequent teams real again as Head Coaches.

And Russ Grimm has 4 rings so knows exactly how to acquire them, both as a player and as a coach.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I agree. Every big name coach and every big name GM was once promoted from a lesser position, by someone willing to give them a chance.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Agreed. I was also one who wanted a big name coach, but the more I think of it...look at the last few years who won the Super Bowl and made the playoffs...it was rookie or newer head coaches that used to be coordinators. Up and comers. We need one of those, along with a young genius at GM.

Comment

• EricStratton
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              Agreed. I was also one who wanted a big name coach, but the more I think of it...look at the last few years who won the Super Bowl and made the playoffs...it was rookie or newer head coaches that used to be coordinators. Up and comers. We need one of those, along with a young genius at GM.

I think the GM position is much more important than the HC. It's always been about the talent that has been put on the field that allows a coach to be great.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

It's becoming more obvious that the Bills weren't serious about getting a big name, but were just blowing smoke up everybody's asses. There is a report that Shanahan actually told the Bills that he and Allen were a package deal. Well, the Bills never spoke to Allen, so how serious could they have been? I'm not saying that the Redskins still don't get them over us, if that happened, but them not even pursuing Allen speaks volumes about how serious Ralphy is about turning this thing around.

Comment

• EricStratton
                  • Jul 2002

If I remember right the Redskins had issues with the Rooney Rule when they hired their current and soon to former head coach as well as when they hired Gibbs back.

They have skirted the edges of the rule each time.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by EricStratton
                    If I remember right the Redskins had issues with the Rooney Rule when they hired their current and soon to former head coach as well as when they hired Gibbs back.

They have skirted the edges of the rule each time.
                    Probably because it's a ridiculous rule.

D & S Sports

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Feb 2009

If I was black I'd be offended by the Rooney rule.

They've won super bowls, they have tons of jobs in the NFL. Fact is, if you prove that your a winner, you'll get the job regardless of what color you are. Look at NFL rosters for crying out loud. If these owners had any issues of the color of players they paid, the NFL would look a lot different.

I'd be insulted that I was being interviewed simply so the team could conform to a rule.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I would would be delighted with a "big name coach" but a big name is certainly not a guarantee of great coaching, nor does the lack of a big name mean the coaching won't be great. We've become enamored of the thought of a big name because the last several coaches hired by the Bills did not have a big name and have flopped. We tend to fall into the pattern of thinking, the approach we tried hasn't worked, so let's do the opposite. It wasn't the strategy that failed. It was the individuals the Bills hired.

The Bills are going to hire a GM and coach. I don't know who they will be. The coach may be someone like Russ Grimm. He's got decent credentials but he's not a guarantee for success. Not even Shanahan is a guarantee for success. I wouldn't put it past Dan Snyder to be able to screw up the situation in Washington even if he does land Shanahan. All I can really do is hope Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon get it right.
                        Last edited by TigerJ; 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

the issue is that it's thepairing of players and coaches. the bills took undersized players that didn't even fit jauron's scheme all that well and put him with a coach and assist coaches who couldn't make them better. That's the failure.

if you keep drafting poorly and giving the coaches little to work with, we'll fail.

The problems go both ways. Gregg williams is doing well in DC and in NO. mularkey is doing well in atlanta. he has redman playing capably.

You can't draft players who don't want to be here, aren't big enough to play the game, and then put them into systems that don't match their skill set. the bills have been guilty for all three.

coaches can't run a system because they like it despite not having the right personnel. Coaches have to have good game day instincts. we don't need good interview coaches. we need good game day coaches.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            It's becoming more obvious that the Bills weren't serious about getting a big name, but were just blowing smoke up everybody's asses. There is a report that Shanahan actually told the Bills that he and Allen were a package deal. Well, the Bills never spoke to Allen, so how serious could they have been? I'm not saying that the Redskins still don't get them over us, if that happened, but them not even pursuing Allen speaks volumes about how serious Ralphy is about turning this thing around.
                            ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...................

PTR
                            10 Commandments of the D
                            1. Never stop Rocking.
                            2. Legalize all drugs.
                            3. Quit your day job.
                            4. All Religion should be taxed.
                            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                            6. F**k her gently.
                            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Why do people insist on twisting crap around like this? Fewell did not interview for the HC job here. He has not said he would interview if it was available to him. There has been no interviews that meet the RR requirements to my knowledge but there could have been one that we don't know about. But to stretch things and try and skate around it is silly. This article clearly states that a minority candidate interviewed for the job and it wasn't a sham interview. You can't have sham interviews.

Originally posted by X-Era
                              http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ty-candidates/

They simply interviewed an inside guy.

Again, If they have held an interview with Fewell which could include:
                              • Phone conversation with Ralph right after Jauron was fired
                              • Actually interview that was not made public
                              • Or maybe they argue that they have "interviewed" Fewell by giving him and on field audition the past several games
                              It could be very possible that there is no real reason why we cant hire a new HC now.

This article makes it seem like a forgone conclusion that it will be Shanahan. I'm not so sure. Shanahan would still have more power here, and a less meddling owner who will support his HC for a much longer period of time before pulling the plug.
                              Last edited by Typ0; 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X