PDA

View Full Version : Redskins already negotiationg with Shanahan

patmoran2006
12-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, that's didn't take long. . reports already trickling that a deal could be done very soon

EricStratton
12-18-2009, 07:46 AM
The Bills (and 27 other teams for that matter) just can't compete financially with Dan Snyder if money is a main driving factor for Mike.

RockStar36
12-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Money is the factor for Shanny so good luck to him.

I personally don't see how the Redskins are any more better than the Bills right now in terms of overall team talent.

DraftBoy
12-18-2009, 07:51 AM
No shock we all knew he wanted the Dallas or Washington job. This was always about money for him.

homeslice5484
12-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I didnt really want him anyways. His team folded like ours last year and his D sucked.

Barb
12-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Money is the factor for Shanny so good luck to him.

I personally don't see how the Redskins are any more better than the Bills right now in terms of overall team talent.

but you rather have to coach in DC or in buffalo....that is why no high profile guy will come here, its dead

Michael82
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
It's definitely about money for Shanahan. I wanted him, but I don't see what's more enticing about that crappy Redskins team over the one here. The only key is that he'll probably get $12 million or more per season. If he gets $10 million or less, then I will be pissed. But Over that is really too much.

patmoran2006
12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
If the report about money is true, its NOT only about money for Shanahan.. reportedly Wilson was willing to pay up to $10 million, how can it only be about money?

Michael82
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
If the report about money is true, its NOT only about money for Shanahan.. reportedly Wilson was willing to pay up to $10 million, how can it only be about money?
up to $10 million. I bet he gets even more from the Skins. :ill:

trapezeus
12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
the redskins have half of our rejects.....OUR REJECTS?!!? and that is the better gig?

I think this might be a blessing in disguise....if we had a competent owner. This would force them to get the GM and then get an up and comng hungry coach who gets the talent he needs.

but knowing 1BD, they'll find a way to ask brandon and modrak to find a couple undersized players who talk the right game in interviews, and are very capable of giving the post game interview of "we're all frustrated. we have to turn this around soon" speech, and pair it with a 1970 retread head coach who still thinks life comes out of a wishbone attack.

To be a bills fan.....

RockStar36
12-18-2009, 08:46 AM

Wait and see what he gets.

There is no way Snyder was going to be outbid by Wilson. If the Bills were offering 10 mil, the Skins will offer more.

DraftBoy
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM

That wonderful however was Wilson also going to guarantee he'd pay whatever it cost to bring in top tier FA's like Snyder will do?

It is about money, it may just not be solely about his contract though.

trapezeus
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM
but if wilson was giving him a piece of the ownership pie and the team is sold upon his death, that's a lot of extra cash coming to shanahan.

Let's face it. Gregg Easterbrook is right. Shanahan is an ego maniac as evidenced by his title with the broncos and his ability to fire defensive coordinators and never shoulder the actual blame. shanahan is only going to be heralded as a big story if he turns buffalo around. in washington, no one cares about the performance. if he sucks, people will write it off as dan synder being too involved and he'll get another crack at it. if he wins, he's in the biggest market.

If he fails in buffalo and he doesn't have an endless money train funding his decisions, he's done. no one seems to come back after they failed in buffalo.

Prov401
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Honestly, the only coaches I would be willing to break the bank for is Bill Cowher or Tony Dungy. 10-12 mil is rediculous, let's be honest. Shanahan went to the playoffs 4 times out of 9 years this decade. He had the luxury of playing with one of the greatest QB's of all time in Elway, and that is the reason he won those two Superbowls, along with Terrell Davis. If Cowher really doesn't want to even listen to an offer from us, which seems likely, than I'm fine with getting someone like Grimm, Zimmer, or Frazier for half the price.

don137
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I get the feeling Shanahan used Buffalo to raise up his asking price knowing Washington will be in the mix for his services. Why did he refuse to meet with them previously stating he does not want to talk about a position while the previous coach is still there but now after talking to Buffalo is in negotioations with the Skins even though Zorn is still there.

Novacane
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
but if wilson was giving him a piece of the ownership pie and the team is sold upon his death, that's a lot of extra cash coming to shanahan.

That was media reports. We don't know that was true. A lot of journalists talk out their ass and run with rumors as much as posters on this board do.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
**** you shanahan. you greedy ****ing dick. 10 million isn't enough? russ should have kicked him in the nuts. his ego might not have been so good for the bills anyway. he should fit well in that cluster**** they call washington.

Beebe's Kid
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
We never knew him....

I hope to see he signed somewhere else every time I check the latest news. This guy isn't our guy. I am torn on who, exactly, we should get, but Shanny never felt right. He tanked it hard in Denver, the last three years were 3 games better than DJ was doing here.

He is going to come out swinging to prove he was wronged, and I see the effort being misplaced and far to self-centered. I think he would have been horrible here. Then we would have been getting billboards to get him out of town, but he would be GM/Coach/Owner, etc... Way too much for this tool.

Bon Voyage!!

Mr. Pink
12-18-2009, 01:35 PM
It has EVERYTHING to do with money, but not how any of you are saying.

Shanahan knows that in Washington he has unlimited resources to go out and get whatever players he wants to fit his system and the freedom to cut anyone that doesn't.

I know if I was a coach I'd rather take 3 million to coach in Washington, where I have the opportunity to assemble whatever talent I want, year in and year out to compete than come here for 10 and be hamstrung by a stingy cheap meddling senile owner.

User Manuel
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I heard he didn't want to come to Buffalo because he would have to deal with Pat Moran....

Dr. Pepper
12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
**** shanahan and **** the redskins i dont want a coach who doesnt want to be here anyway.

mybills
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
What happened to "I'm not making any decisions until the season is over." ????

douche bag.

Billz_fan
12-18-2009, 02:46 PM
It's going to hold true that no high level coaching personality will come to Buffalo. It's a small market team with a history of organizational problems. Look what happened to Polian here. He was the best football man to come to Buffalo and Ralph f-ed it up. Shanahan knows if he goes to Wash and wants something player wise etc. he is gonna get what he wants. Especially free agents.

Small market team
History of organizational probs and meddling owner
History of being cheap
Ralph close to... well (the end) and instability issues after his death. Team move a possibility etc.
Poor talent on the existing team including no QB

Sorry Im just pissed right now about this whole thing, I thought we actually had a chance at Shanahan and now I feel sick. :ill:

Typ0
12-18-2009, 02:49 PM
this is good news.

Dying_-2-_Live
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
BILL COWHER FTW

SeatownBillsFan21
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I dont know if i am pissed or not i think down the road this will be a blessing in disguise

X-Era
12-18-2009, 05:42 PM
1) The deal isn't done yet, if it gets done before the season is over, Shanahan is a liar (reportedly told the Bills he wont make a decision until after the season)
2) Cowher is still out there, and one less "big" team is available
3) Gruden is still out there
4) Billick is still out there
5) Holmgren is still out there
6) Dungy is still out there
7) Shotty is still out there
8) Carolina may not be letting anyone go... Cowher related
9) Dallas may go to the playoffs and/or may not fire anyone right away

Lots of pieces still need to fall into place before proving that Ralph and Co. cant get it done.

Typ0
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
What happened to "I'm not making any decisions until the season is over." ????

douche bag.

Like many people said it was a polite way to say he's not interested in this job. Most likely the interview here was for leverage for a better salary somewhere else and the media blitz about the numbers played right into his hands.

FlyingDutchman
12-18-2009, 06:03 PM
GET MARTY IN HERE

TrEd FTW
12-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Why are the Redskins seemingly exempt from the Rooney Rule? I didn't hear anything about them interviewing a minority executive prior to hiring Bruce Allen (which is a requirement), and now it's happening again with Shanahan.

mybills
12-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Like many people said it was a polite way to say he's not interested in this job. Most likely the interview here was for leverage for a better salary somewhere else and the media blitz about the numbers played right into his hands.
You don't spend 7 hours in meetings just to be polite.

don137
12-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Those seven hours are spet as a way to make other teams perceive you are interested to raise up his asking price. He probably will make a few extra million thanks to that seven hour meeting by acting like he is interested.

hydro
12-19-2009, 08:58 AM
BILL COWHER FTW

How many more reports of Bill Cowher having no interest in the Bills is it going to take for people to just give up?

Typ0
12-19-2009, 09:38 AM

No, you spend 7 hours in meetings to get the best offer you can so you can then use that offer as leverage for a better salary offer from the job you really want. It's done all the time.

X-Era
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
If this is true, we blew it

And speaking of "token interviews"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8151513d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Apparently Shanahan told us he wanted Allen to be part of his organization? And we didnt do that?

And now there is new info that we intend to start interviewing GM's right after X-mas? Maybe the Bills learned there lesson and realize they need Colbert to get Cowher.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
The only way we blew it was throwing money around in the media. I thought that was silly.

X-Era
12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
The only way we blew it was throwing money around in the media. I thought that was silly.

I mean that I think we blew it by not bringing in Allen if Mike asked for him, and if Mike was our top pick... thats still too many if's and we just dont know what really happened.

SquishDaFish
12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
GET MARTY IN HERE

For the last time He was on sirius and said he def will not coach again. He is DONE and happy doing what he is doing. And loves watching his son coach. He said his Son would be a head coach before he ever came back again.

SquishDaFish
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
How many more reports of Bill Cowher having no interest in the Bills is it going to take for people to just give up?

Cowher never said he had no interest in Buffalo!!! He said he wont interview anywhere until season is over. Hes always had that kind of attitude that he doesnt want to interview for a job that has a current coach in place.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
I mean that I think we blew it by not bringing in Allen if Mike asked for him, and if Mike was our top pick... thats still too many if's and we just dont know what really happened.

No we don't. For all we know that was the result of the interview for the Bills job, they tendered an offer, and MS said he was going to see what options were available before he made a decision. There is a risk in that for the job seeker too because they might not end up with a job at all. So it's not a doormat situation either. It's just two parties trying to come to terms with what's best for both of them at a given time.

We don't know anything and it's all speculation. But these things make sense to me I think they are a little more professional and every situation doesn't have to be made into a soap opera. I do think the reason a deal can't get done that easily here is because there are a lot of mixed messages in the Bills organization that stem from outdated business practices--and it's those same messages that are killing us on the field.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I didn't hear any of this dialogue but that sounds like a bit of a fishing expedition to me.

For the last time He was on sirius and said he def will not coach again. He is DONE and happy doing what he is doing. And loves watching his son coach. He said his Son would be a head coach before he ever came back again.

SquishDaFish
12-19-2009, 07:33 PM
The guy that hosts the show with him asked him str8 out would you come back if someone came calling. He said str8 out flat NO. "No way would I go back, Im happy with the direction of my life and what Im doing now" " My son would be a head coach before I ever even thought about coming back" <--- Pretty close to exact quotes. He is DEF not coming back. I bet my house on it.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Or is he trying to get a GM job with his son as HC?

The guy that hosts the show with him asked him str8 out would you come back if someone came calling. He said str8 out flat NO. "No way would I go back, Im happy with the direction of my life and what Im doing now" " My son would be a head coach before I ever even thought about coming back" <--- Pretty close to exact quotes. He is DEF not coming back. I bet my house on it.

SquishDaFish
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Or is he trying to get a GM job with his son as HC?

No not at all. He said he is very happy doing what he is currently doing. Said he isnt coming out of retirement

Typ0
12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
No not at all. He said he is very happy doing what he is currently doing. Said he isnt coming out of retirement

I got that. But that he said this is pretty interesting.

Turf
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM

I think with the rumor of the lack of revenue sharing any smart coach would know if he gets the money but the owner won't dish out for the talent, which Ralph has written all over him, it a recipe for disastor.
Unless Ralph agrees to pay both coach and talent, and raise tickets prices, who would want to risk their reputation when they don't have to if equivalent offers are out there.

mybills
12-21-2009, 07:42 AM
No, you spend 7 hours in meetings to get the best offer you can so you can then use that offer as leverage for a better salary offer from the job you really want. It's done all the time.
I was agreeing with you. They don't "just" do that to be polite.

Typ0
12-21-2009, 10:39 AM
I was agreeing with you. They don't "just" do that to be polite.

Sorry, I didn't know what you were saying.

DraftBoy
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
This makes me happy.

Gruden is locked in at ESPN
Shanny is going to Washington
Cowher doesn't want to come here
Marty isn't coaching again.

More and more likely we start making the call to Russ Grimm.