• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

So, thinking about our 2010 OL

Ive been thinking about this. All of the guys on our roster who play OL will be healthy at the start of training camp.

That means we will have the following on our roster:

OT- Demetrius Bell- Has played well at times, and has upside to become a starting caliper LT

OT- Kirk Chambers- personally I'm done with him, but some feel he has some upside, and he certainly has experience

OT- Jamon Meredith- another guy who has played a lot, will have valuable experience and has real upside to potentially be a starting RT

OT- John Scott- has played decent at times, like Bell and Meredith, has valuable experience and upside

OT- Brad Butler will also return and started the season as our most veteran guy with lots of experience and having shown decent play. Hes a young vet, but solid, and appears to be a solid starter.

OG- Levitre- Improving and looking like a solid OG as of late

OG- Eric Wood- May not be ready by training camp but was our best OLmen this year IMO, got valuable experience, no reason he cant quicklydevelop into one of the leagues better G's.

OG- Seth McKinney a proven vet who played decent for us

OG- Kendall Simmons- a proven vet who played very well for us

OG- Richie Incognito- Solid vet, whos a dirty player, but is solid none the less

C- Geoff Hangartner- our 2nd best OLmen behind Wood, IMO, but very solid and pretty good

If you look at that, and you add in a high draft pick as a potential future franchise LT, we look to be deep and solid when everyone is healthy.

We cant keep everyone, I hope we get smart and keep the vets for solid depth and to push our young guys. But our young guys now have experience, and have shown flashes.

Point is, our 2009 OL was green as the hills with no starts, and through additions throughout the year and starting youngsters, we will be in a completely different situation next year.

Personally, I like the looks of our line going into next year. They just need to get healthy.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM.

• Griz78
    • Sep 2002

Re: So, thinking about our 2010 OL

Brad Butler too, RT

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Griz78
      Brad Butler too, RT
      Oops! Fixed it.
      Last edited by X-Era; 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• McBFLO
        • Mar 2003

That's why the more I think about it, the more I think the Bills have to try and get one of the top LT in the draft with their first pick. Okung?- Levitre -Hangartner - Wood - Butler. That ain't too shabby. Plus, I like your point on the depth. All these injuries could be looked at as a positive. The new regime will have game film on alllll of these guys while playing with the Bills. If they can stay healthy, we could be looking pretty good.
        Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I have to agree...We finally have something to look forward to 'next season' regarding the o-line. Could go from glaring weakness to the most solid and deep unit on the team in a little over a season.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
            I have to agree...We finally have something to look forward to 'next season' regarding the o-line. Could go from glaring weakness to the most solid and deep unit on the team in a little over a season.

Unless we screw it up and cut all the vets and tackles with experience and put UDFA's or late rounders as primary backups.

Pray for a "real" HC who will know better.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by pepperkorn
              That's why the more I think about it, the more I think the Bills have to try and get one of the top LT in the draft with their first pick. Okung?- Levitre -Hangartner - Wood - Butler. That ain't too shabby. Plus, I like your point on the depth. All these injuries could be looked at as a positive. The new regime will have game film on alllll of these guys while playing with the Bills. If they can stay healthy, we could be looking pretty good.
              Okung is ideal, but also a top 5 pick. He could possibly drop, but I dont think its likely.

Probably looking at Williams, or Campbell if we stay at 8-10.

But the depth is so good at OT in this draft, we could even get a solid prospect in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

I must be in the minority but I think that we have one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the franchise.

We have two guys with upside, Wood and Levitre. Levitre hasn't been impressive but he doesn't appear to be as bad because others overshadow him. Pick a name, it doesn't matter. And the problem with Wood is his injury, no way to tell if he'll ever return to form he's at not let alone progress.

People sit and claim injuries on the o-line have been a huge problem for this team, outside of Wood, does it matter? Replacing a bum with another bum is the same end result.

I personally believe that 4 of the 5 OTs shouldn't be in the league let alone the fact that right now, two of them have to start. Bell, Scott, Chambers, Meredith are all brutal. Brutal is putting it nicely.

McKinney is good depth.

Hangartner is an upgrade over Fowler but then again so would a stiff breeze.

We need replacements at at least 3 of the 5 spots on the o-line and possibly 4 depending on Woods' recovery.

Comment

• DrGraves
                  • Mar 2008

It looks nice on paper but I'm sure everyone will be injured as soon as the season starts again.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    I must be in the minority but I think that we have one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the franchise.

We have two guys with upside, Wood and Levitre. Levitre hasn't been impressive but he doesn't appear to be as bad because others overshadow him. Pick a name, it doesn't matter. And the problem with Wood is his injury, no way to tell if he'll ever return to form he's at not let alone progress.

People sit and claim injuries on the o-line have been a huge problem for this team, outside of Wood, does it matter? Replacing a bum with another bum is the same end result.

I personally believe that 4 of the 5 OTs shouldn't be in the league let alone the fact that right now, two of them have to start. Bell, Scott, Chambers, Meredith are all brutal. Brutal is putting it nicely.

McKinney is good depth.

We need replacements at at least 3 of the 5 spots on the o-line and possibly 4 depending on Woods' recovery.
                    I can understand your take.

I just feel like the individual experience will translate to a fully settled line. What I mean is that we have not had any long term starters entrenched all year, except Levitre. And Levitre is showing the benefit from starting at one position for a whole year.

I think the term "jell" is huge when looking at overall line play.

I guess Im saying we may have good prospects, some solid players, and quality vets who have been forced to play like individuals instead of an O line. And that if all of the positions sort then out, and if they stay in those positions, we may be pretty decent.

I guess I have looked at their individual play pretty much all year since they were constantly being shuffled.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

McKinney is good depth.

I'd be more than happy going into next season with...

New LT-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler
                      New LT-Levitre-Wood-Incognito-Bell
                      New LT-Levitre-Hangartner-Incognito-Butler
                      New LT-Butler-Wood-Incognito-Bell

Or some semblance of the above, as long as Wood heals and Incognito can stay out of trouble on the field, with 3 or four solid back-ups from the rest of the guys X mentioned.

We've got a ****-ton of guys that can play guard, RT and C will be OK, but we really need an anchor at LT.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                        I'd be more than happy going into next season with...

New LT-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler
                        New LT-Levitre-Wood-Incognito-Bell
                        New LT-Levitre-Hangartner-Incognito-Butler
                        New LT-Butler-Wood-Incognito-Bell

Or some semblance of the above, as long as Wood heals and Incognito can stay out of trouble on the field, with 3 or four solid back-ups from the rest of the guys X mentioned.

We've got a ****-ton of guys that can play guard, RT and C will be OK, but we really need an anchor at LT.
                        Totally agree.

I think, if we draft the right guy, a franchise LT could make this O line pretty damn good. But, I dont see any of our current OT's being that great of a prospect as our future LT. Bell just cant seem to keep his head in the game and knock off all the false starts.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

I want a shinny new QB and the biggest reason is because I think the line shows much more potential then any QB we've seen play.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                            I want a shinny new QB and the biggest reason is because I think the line shows much more potential then any QB we've seen play.
                            Dont sleep on Brohm... I was a huge fan coming out of college... the kid can play. I want to see him on the field before just discarding him or benching him outright.

From 2006:

Last edited by X-Era; 12-18-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Oaf
                              Do you read what you write?
                              • Jun 2007

Of course just my opinion, but I felt most of your player synopses were a little too far on the positive side. I think the whole injury thing has taken away from their personal accountability for breakdowns in play.

I see too many instances of "solid", "valuable experience", "has shown upside" where I have failed to see nearly any of that this season from the group.
                              Last edited by Oaf; 12-18-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X