PDA

View Full Version : Wow, McShay gets falt out slammed to the wall by a league source!

X-Era
12-18-2009, 07:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Read this.

Cant say I totally disagree.

None of us here get paid for providing opinions, he does, but his career wont hinge on being right.

I wish we had access to real NFL scouts. Id also love ot be a fly on the wall of a War Room. They get paid for doing this job and they have a very short leash.

McShay, Kiper, et al, can get away with saying anything as long as people keep listening.

I don't think either of them are as clueless as the article makes them out to be. But, the article flat out blasts Todd.

Dicknoze69
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I've seen two "professional" opinions on Locker (Ingtar and another person I know) and neither had Locker as a first rounder. His potential is enormous, but his actual production was shoddy as is his current quarterbacking ability. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he didn't get a first round tag by the Advisory Committee. I agree that he still probably would have been a 1st rounder based solely on team needs.

The important thing to keep in mind is McShay, Kiper, etc. are all media members who make their livelihood on people reading their stuff. Locker being the #1 overall pick in McShay's mock draft is sure to get more reads and excite people than Suh being #1.

Demon
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Just like Thurman Thomas said weeks ago, if these clowns knew what they were talking about, they would be working for an NFL team. I never liked Kiper or McShay. Both are idiots. Clausen was a top 5 pick, to 3rd round after the Navy game, then a week later back to mid-first round.... then after he announced he's declaring, McShay had him top 5 again, then just recently, without playing a down since announcing, he's dropped from top 5 to 26th or whatever in his latest mock. It's a joke.

X-Era
12-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I've seen two "professional" opinions on Locker (Ingtar and another person I know) and neither had Locker as a first rounder. His potential is enormous, but his actual production was shoddy as is his current quarterbacking ability. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he didn't get a first round tag by the Advisory Committee. I agree that he still probably would have been a 1st rounder based solely on team needs.

The important thing to keep in mind is McShay, Kiper, etc. are all media members who make their livelihood on people reading their stuff. Locker being the #1 overall pick in McShay's mock draft is sure to get more reads and excite people than Suh being #1.

So, I actually agree with the assessment that Locker has 2nd round talent but would have been over-drafted due to the importance of the position.

That said, what can you do? Be the one team out of 32 who refuses to over-draft QB's because they are so important? OK, so that team is likely to take forever in finding a franchise QB.

Unfortunately, you have to think the way the other 32 teams think, at some level, or you cant make the draft work for you.

Dicknoze69
12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
So, I actually agree with the assessment that Locker has 2nd round talent but would have been over-drafted due to the importance of the position.

That said, what can you do? Be the one team out of 32 who refuses to over-draft QB's because they are so important? OK, so that team is likely to take forever in finding a franchise QB.

Unfortunately, you have to think the way the other 32 teams think, at some level, or you cant make the draft work for you.

Yeah I agree with you here. QBs are a funny animal because of their high bust rate (in any round) and the extreme demand for them. And it's certainly a quarterback-driven league.

DraftBoy
12-19-2009, 10:38 AM
As I said, and Ing said what McShay and Kiper say is not always right.

Locker should have gotten a 2nd-3rd Round grade at this point in his career, not a top 10 lock. People who buy into their crap are fooling themselves.

yordad
12-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Locker staying was ******ed, IMO.

TedMock
12-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Don't take this as me sticking up for McShay. I am not. In fact - I am not a fan of he or Kiper. Having said that, keep in mind that guys like McShay and Kiper are not trying to think like a scout. They certainly do their homework and know the players, but they make their money in part on hoping a team or two does indeed reach based on need. They aren't rating players purely on where they should be drafted. Rather, they consider team management, ownership, trends, etc and then player grades. they're picking on where they think a player is likely to go, not on where a player should go. Take the Raiders for instance. I am willing to bet every scout in the league liked Crabtree. Maybe even every coach too. However, we're talking Al Davis and when Kiper said he likes Crabtree, but don't be surprised if the Raiders take Heyward-Bey, most thought he was nuts. This is where trends come into play. Al Davis is am easy example, but you get the point.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
It's painful watching McShay on tv, he comes off as being such a little pussy, it really is no wonder that everybody dicks him around... Wow, very embarrassing.

DraftBoy
12-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't take this as me sticking up for McShay. I am not. In fact - I am not a fan of he or Kiper. Having said that, keep in mind that guys like McShay and Kiper are not trying to think like a scout. They certainly do their homework and know the players, but they make their money in part on hoping a team or two does indeed reach based on need. They aren't rating players purely on where they should be drafted. Rather, they consider team management, ownership, trends, etc and then player grades. they're picking on where they think a player is likely to go, not on where a player should go. Take the Raiders for instance. I am willing to bet every scout in the league liked Crabtree. Maybe even every coach too. However, we're talking Al Davis and when Kiper said he likes Crabtree, but don't be surprised if the Raiders take Heyward-Bey, most thought he was nuts. This is where trends come into play. Al Davis is am easy example, but you get the point.

That's a terrific post and a good point. The object of Kiper and McShay (and Mayock to some point) is to get where these are going to go in the draft accurate. They don't care about accurately scouting these kids or saying how good they could be.