PDA

View Full Version : So really how good is Shanahan

McBFLO
12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes, he was the coach of the Broncos when they won 2 Super Bowls. But how many did he win without Elway? Looking at the 10 post-Elway years in Denver, the Broncos have one division win, 4 playoffs appearances- 3 of those times they lost in the first round, and no playoff appearances his last 3 years there.

Now I know we're in no position to look at 4 playoff years over the last decade and call that inadequate. But, when you're paying the guy a salary in the neighborhood of $10mil/season, on top of giving him full control over football ops, in addition to all of the stories that have been told about him being loose with the money the organization spent for his failed personnel decisions, I think there's better value elsewhere.

I know that kernowboy has been a fan of this idea, so I know he'll agree with me, but people really need to look hard at what Russ Grimm could do for this organization. Pair him up with a good personnel guy and a good scouting dept and this team won't be far off from sustained success. I firmly believe this guy will be an outstanding head coach, and the fans I really think would like him. Tough, physical, blue-collar, Steeler-style football!

Who wouldn't be happy with that?!

BillsWin
12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, he was the coach of the Broncos when they won 2 Super Bowls. But how many did he win without Elway? Looking at the 10 post-Elway years in Denver, the Broncos have one division win, 4 playoffs appearances- 3 of those times they lost in the first round, and no playoff appearances his last 3 years there.

Now I know we're in no position to look at 4 playoff years over the last decade and call that inadequate. But, when you're paying the guy a salary in the neighborhood of $10mil/season, on top of giving him full control over football ops, in addition to all of the stories that have been told about him being loose with the money the organization spent for his failed personnel decisions, I think there's better value elsewhere.

I know that kernowboy has been a fan of this idea, so I know he'll agree with me, but people really need to look hard at what Russ Grimm could do for this organization. Pair him up with a good personnel guy and a good scouting dept and this team won't be far off from sustained success. I firmly believe this guy will be an outstanding head coach, and the fans I really think would like him. Tough, physical, blue-collar, Steeler-style football!

Who wouldn't be happy with that?!

Excellent post actually. Shanahan is a great coach, but there are questions about just how great and how well he would do without a hall of fame QB.

I think Cowher is a better proven option than Shanahan.

Grimm is probably the best option of coordinator/assistant coaches.

Grimm keeps growing on me because he in my opinion could bring a blue collar, pound the rock, play to win, don't take any ****, hit you in the mouth football back to Buffalo.

I am good with Grimm. Cowher is my first choice. My second was Shan, but it is quickly becoming Grimm.

YardRat
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
If it came down to Grimm/HC and Shanny/total control, I'd take Grimm in a second.

Even if it was HC to HC only, Grimm in three seconds.

McBFLO
12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Excellent post actually. Shanahan is a great coach, but there are questions about just how great and how well he would do without a hall of fame QB.

I think Cowher is a better proven option than Shanahan.

Grimm is probably the best option of coordinator/assistant coaches.

Grimm keeps growing on me because he in my opinion could bring a blue collar, pound the rock, play to win, don't take any ****, hit you in the mouth football back to Buffalo.

I am good with Grimm. Cowher is my first choice. My second was Shan, but it is quickly becoming Grimm.

The thing I like about Grimm, too, is the fact that he's a realistic option. For a brief moment I actually thought, "Wow, what if we actually got Cowher?" Now I'm back to thinking that there ain't a chance in hell he comes here. So with Grimm, you get one of Cowher's top assistants for years while they won at least one Super Bowl (don't feel like doing the research, but the point is still as valid), the style of football we Buffalo fans would love, for MILLIONS LESS!!!!! This leaves more money for all the other areas this organization needs to restructure.

In my opinion, it's almost a no-brainer.

DynaPaul
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm onboard with Grimm. We need some fire in this organization.

kernowboy
12-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Grimm won a ring as a co-ordinator for the Steelers when they beat the Seahawks but also won THREE rings as a player for the Redskins under Joe Gibbs.

He'd automatically command respect from the entire roster.

Be there, achieved that etc etc

Jan Reimers
12-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not into hiring a coach for any reason other than he can give us the opportunity to WIN. And Grimm has the experience, the attitude and the credentials to make me think he can make us a winner.

That being said, he also DESERVES a head coaching job. After a long, loyal, successful and proven assistant coaching career in Pittsburgh, he was totally passed over for the HC job. I think his gratitude to the Bills would guarantee that he gives us everything he has.

Mike in Syracuse
12-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes, he was the coach of the Broncos when they won 2 Super Bowls. But how many did he win without Elway?

Two more than Levy won with Kelly is that answer.