PDA

View Full Version : Bills' secondary to face major exam

shelby
12-19-2009, 06:36 AM
i feel this is worth emphasizing, as it is a positive:

<!-- --> The Buffalo Bills are ranked fifth in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game. They lead the NFL with 25 interceptions. They have held opposing quarterbacks to a league-low 59.8 passer rating (tied with the New York Jets) and allowed the second-fewest touchdown passes (10).
But is the Bills' pass defense that good or are their opponents that bad?
We'll find out Sunday.
The New England Patriots come to town with one of the most prolific passing attacks in the NFL. They are averaging 293.2 net yards per game, second only to the Indianapolis Colts' average of 296.4. Quarterback Tom Brady, who has come back from a major knee injury, is completing better than 65 percent of his passes and is on pace to top 4,700 yards for the second time in three years.
"Nobody gives us any credit," said safety Donte Whitner. "In all the key categories our secondary is up there with the best. But it really doesn't get any light shined on it because of our record. So we feel we have something to prove. So Sunday is a chance for us to show what we think we are, and that's a good secondary."
The Bills have benefited from a number of poor quarterback performances. Eight of their games were against quarterbacks ranked in the bottom half of the NFL. The opposition finished with a passer rating of 55.6 or less five times (the Bills won four of them, losing only to Cleveland's Derek Anderson and his 15.1 rating). Conversely, the Bills are 1-7 when a quarterback's rating is above 71.
The Bills deserve some credit for opposing quarterbacks looking so bad. And what is impressive about the defense is how it has fared against the better QBs on the schedule. New Orleans' Drew Brees was held in check (172 yards and a 72.8 rating). Houston's Matt Schaub threw for 268 yards, but didn't have a touchdown and had a pair of interceptions.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/899038.html)

Typ0
12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
It's going to be a prostrate exam too.

mybills
12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I say it's the former.

Oaf
12-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Whitner is right, if they feel like they are a top secondary, time to show it. I can take a bomb to Moss. However, Welker catching 10+ balls, for 100+ yards, for 5+ first downs is unacceptable.

The Juice Is Loose
12-19-2009, 08:57 AM
uh, we're gonna get picked apart

Brady will go 30/42 365 and 2 TDs

Welker will have 12 rec 125 yds 1 TD

Typ0
12-19-2009, 09:46 AM
I say it's the former.

We would have no idea of really knowing how good they are with the run defense being so horrible. We don't match up well with the PATS at all they are going to smear us this week.

Oldbillsfan
12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
As soon as Whitner opens his mouth its an automatic loss

shelby
12-19-2009, 11:17 AM
lol

mybills
12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
We would have no idea of really knowing how good they are with the run defense being so horrible. We don't match up well with the PATS at all they are going to smear us this week.
Everybody thought they would smear us the first time. I don't call a one point difference, a smear job. Nobody should say it's an automatic loss for us or an automatic win for NE, so you're right..we have no idea.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Everybody thought they would smear us the first time. I don't call a one point difference, a smear job. Nobody should say it's an automatic loss for us or an automatic win for NE, so you're right..we have no idea.

No, but at that time the season was on the line for both teams and it was the first game of the year. Actually, I said we had a good chance to win that game and the best chance to beat the PATS in years on opening day. So don't say everybody but I must count as somebody. But not tomorrow. Tomorrow they will beat us just because they have so much on the line and again, we just don't match up well with them.